LatinPlane
Topic Author

TAP banned from Venezuela

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Yesterday, TAP was banned from flying to Caracas for the next 90 days. The airline flies 2x per week using a wet-leased 767 from EuroAtlantic so that its own crews do not operate into CCS for security reasons.

One a few airlines still operating into Venezuela, primarily to serve the community of Portuguese ex-pats still living in the country.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-portugal/venezuela-suspends-flights-from-portugals-tap-after-guaido-flight-idUSKBN20B1XY
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

hoons90

Re: TAP banned from Venezuela

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:39 pm

When I was at LIS last month, I noticed that Estelar flies CCS-LIS as well, with a leased A340. I wonder if they will increase frequency since it appears to be a biweekly service.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

LatinPlane
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Estelar flies 1x weekly CCS-LIS on Thursdays. In the past demand was so strong that TAP flew to Caracas from Lisbon, Porto, and Funchal, Madeira year round. TAP was now barely to 2x per week from LIS.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 pm

How does one comment on a thread like this without getting political? No, seriously - I can't think anything to say without it being political.

Who is left in CCS?

cedarjet

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:09 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
How does one comment on a thread like this without getting political? No, seriously - I can't think anything to say without it being political.

Who is left in CCS?

Virtually everyone. It’s just that their currency has devalued and/or they can’t get the bank to give them back their money to have expensive foreign trips.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

2travel2know2

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:12 pm

Sure the demand is still there, but would TP return to CCS after 90 days or decide to serve CSS via a connecting airport in the region?
Seems TP did stop in CUR sometime ago in or out CCS and lately also seems that there has even been Portuguese charters to MBJ, so, if creative, TP could operate robin routes to CCS including CUR or MBJ.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

N62NA

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:22 pm

Brilliant move on the part of Venezuela: Ban a well-respected world airline. And this benefits Venezuela how?

luckyone

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:47 pm

N62NA wrote:
Brilliant move on the part of Venezuela: Ban a well-respected world airline. And this benefits Venezuela how?

Is any reasonably intelligent person surprised at this point...

kipfilet

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:04 pm

N62NA wrote:

You are implicitly assuming that Venezuelan authorities act rationally in the best interests of Venezuela, that is a very strong assumption.

jfk777

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:05 pm

IT probably is punishment for flying "President Guido" into CCS last week.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:14 am

cedarjet wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Who is left in CCS?

Virtually everyone. It’s just that their currency has devalued and/or they can’t get the bank to give them back their money to have expensive foreign trips.

A beautifully written response, cedarjet, thank you. I was unclear, as I was referring only to the airport in terms of international airlines. Who is still there?

I wish for the people of Venezuela the hope that their country can return to prosperity, and CCS could once again be a world-class destination.

Toinou

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:24 am

LatinPlane wrote:
One a few airlines still operating into Venezuela, primarily to serve the community of Portuguese ex-pats still living in the country.

I'm not sure this is "primarily" their target. Given the few air links still operating to Venezuela (especially those not transiting through US), it is quite used by those who can afford it to go wherever they want in Europe. I know Venezuela based people (quite wealthy ones) and in the last year, when they come to Europe, it is almost always on TP.

MIAspotter

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:31 am

Yes, where and how to start without getting political, I started a thread about this particular topic and was deleted.

Anyways, as for which Intl airlines are serving CCS, Copa, Air Europa, Iberia, Airfrance and Turkish.

Estelar flies to MAD, LIS, EZE and I think FCO using A340s and A330s leased from HiFly and PlusUltra.

Is it a ¨punishment¨for flying interim president Guaido, obviously, in 2019 Copa Airlines also got a suspension after flying Juan Guaido, this time the authorities claim that Guaido´s uncle who was flying with him was carrying some sort of recipients containing C4 explosives which they discovered upon their arrival into CCS, and also they claim that Guaido flew using a false name. His uncle was detained and authorities put up the ban claiming TP did not followed strict security rules, TP and the Portuguese government deny any claims of breaching rules.

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

upperdeckfan

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Remember the times when all european legacies served CCS and VA served every European capital with their DC10's.

Even AF flew the Concorde to CCS, the good old days.....
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

LatinPlane
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:06 am

Yup - here you can not only see VA's fleet at CCS getting ready for some evening flights to Europe, but also a TAP A340, when these were new and used along with their A310s for services to CCS. What a different country it was then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTf-oFBKXM8&t=2s

peterinlisbon

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:58 am

Maybe TAP could avoid the suspension by promising to ask passengers at check-in "Do you have any C4 explosives in your luggage?" and if they say yes, tell them that it is not allowed.

dfpinto

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:56 am

I already gave my opinion on this, but Mods thought it was too political and deleted it. I don't see how C4 explosives can pass through all security checks at LIS and on to the cabin of a commercial jet.

Anyway, wasn't CCS kept in the network because of Portuguese Government pressure, due to large Portuguese population in the country? I'm not sure if TP is actually making money with this route, when you take into account that they hire euroAtlantic to do it for them. Maybe it is the "excuse" they need to get out of CCS.

cedarjet

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Finally some good news for Venezuela. Take Another Plane
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

dcajet

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:48 pm

cedarjet wrote:

Our resident defense attorney for Latin American & Middle East/Gulf dictatorships forgets to count the 15% of the population that has voted with their feet and left their country. Close to 5 million Venezuelans. And thousands more leave every week. In sheer numbers, the Venezuelan migrant crisis is worse than Syria.

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Who is left in CCS?

Not many: the locals, of course. And off the top of my head: COPA, Iberia, Air France, Air Europa, Turkish, Cubana and that is pretty much it.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos