polywad6963
Topic Author

Qatar in PHX

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:34 am

Today (20 Feb) while heading into work today, saw a Qatar A340 in PHX taxing for takeoff. Was this a medical diversion or what? First time seeing the type and livery that close up! Time was approximately 150pm MST.

Mods: If this is already discussed in the PHX thread, I apologize as I may have missed it.

RyanairGuru

Re: Qatar in PHX

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:18 am

If it was an A340 then it's the Qatar Amiri Flight. Qatar Airways (commercial) no longer operates A340s. Presumably a Qatari royal was in town.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

KFTG

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:55 am

The rare A340-200 movement. The best looking A340.

910A

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Seems like a annual visitor for the Arabian Horse Show at Westworld in Scottsdale.

Nonrevhell

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:50 pm

I've seen the A340 a few times over the last few years. Like the previous poster said, it's because of the horse show. IIRC, they even bring some horses over in a cargo plane. Still, looks pretty cool to see at Sky Harbor.

cathay747

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Besides the horse show, they probably (whomever "they" are, presumably it's several members of the royal family) are also paying a visit to Mayo Clinic like the Saudi's do...or at least used to.
Try a Little VC-10derness

greenair727

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:36 pm

^The Saudi and other national royal families went to/go to the Cleveland Clinic, not the Mayo Clinic.

EA CO AS

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:10 pm

greenair727 wrote:
^The Saudi and other national royal families went to/go to the Cleveland Clinic, not the Mayo Clinic.

Not sure if it’s still the case but there was a case a few years back where a Saudi national was routinely in PHX for cancer treatment. Ask most people in medicine and they’ll tell you that the PHX area is arguably the best place in the world for advanced cancer treatment.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PhilMcCrackin

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:33 pm

greenair727 wrote:

I can't find anything that specifically references PHX, but I've seen their aircraft here before and they're regular visitors to the Rochester, MN location per Google.

greenair727

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:36 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

Not sure if it’s still the case but there was a case a few years back where a Saudi national was routinely in PHX for cancer treatment. Ask most people in medicine and they’ll tell you that the PHX area is arguably the best place in the world for advanced cancer treatment.

Interesting. I had never heard that. Though a lot of elderly people move to PHX (and Florida), so it makes sense that the area invests in cancer treatment. Which hospitals/institutions in Phoenix lead this?

cathay747

Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:51 pm

greenair727 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

Interesting. I had never heard that. Though a lot of elderly people move to PHX (and Florida), so it makes sense that the area invests in cancer treatment. Which hospitals/institutions in Phoenix lead this?

Well then, unless I'm mistaken, the Saudi's USED TO come here to Mayo, maybe they switched? In any event, as to which hospitals/institutions, all I know is that PHX is one location of Cancer Treatment Centers of America, they have a campus in Goodyear, right off the I-10.
Try a Little VC-10derness

GSP psgr

Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:56 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

It depends on what kind of cancer you have; my Mom's is really rare and the best docs for her are in Houston at MD Anderson.

EA CO AS

Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:01 pm

cathay747 wrote:
Well then, unless I'm mistaken, the Saudi's USED TO come here to Mayo, maybe they switched? In any event, as to which hospitals/institutions, all I know is that PHX is one location of Cancer Treatment Centers of America, they have a campus in Goodyear, right off the I-10.

There are a few other advanced cancer care places like that, along with Phoenix CyberKnife and Radiation Oncology, UofA Cancer Center, and so on,but also both the Mayo Clinic and the Mayo Hospital.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

910A

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:28 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

I'm not sure where he is getting his information. My wife and her colleagues in the Phoenix area might/or heck would probably disagree with his assessment. No to say there isn't good places to go for cancer treatment, but to say it's the best in the world is laughable when compared to MD Anderson in Texas, John Hopkins etc....the top hospital for cancer treatment in Arizona is Mayo and that is ranked #43 in the country.

aeromoe

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:05 am

I've seen Qatar A320 in PHX as well as various wide-bodies. A great photo reference for seeing what aviation visitors have been observed/photographed in the Valley of the Sun is:

http://visitingphx.com/

A multitude of subjects for perusal. One of my favorite visitors of the past is the Saudia L-1011-500.

Moe
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(1) BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

aircountry

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:45 am

910A wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

I'm not sure where he is getting his information. My wife and her colleagues in the Phoenix area might/or heck would probably disagree with his assessment. No to say there isn't good places to go for cancer treatment, but to say it's the best in the world is laughable when compared to MD Anderson in Texas, John Hopkins etc....the top hospital for cancer treatment in Arizona is Mayo and that is ranked #43 in the country.

My friend from PHX told me they have MD Anderson Cancer Center branch is Banner MD Anderson and the MD Anderson HQ is Houston, Texas at Texas Medical Center. I didnt know about it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos