Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SDUMIA
Topic Author

DL 478 GIG-JFK diversion to SJU

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:21 pm

Good afternoon

I’m onboard DL478, just diverted to SJU. Descent was fairly quick, less than 12 minutes. Crew claims that toilets are not working but from what I noticed only one was inop.

Crew has not announced if we’re disembarking in SJU. Anyone has an ideia of what is going?

CriticalPoint

Re: DL 478 GIG-JFK diversion to SJU

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:26 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
SDUMIA wrote:
Good afternoon

I’m onboard DL478, just diverted to SJU. Descent was fairly quick, less than 12 minutes. Crew claims that toilets are not working but from what I noticed only one was inop.

Crew has not announced if we’re disembarking in SJU. Anyone has an ideia of what is going?

I don’t know what’s going on but I can tell you that if a passenger flushed something they weren’t supposed to then it can clog the vacuum for the entire aircraft rendering all toilets INOP.

SDUMIA
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:47 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
SDUMIA wrote:
Good afternoon

I don’t know what’s going on but I can tell you that if a passenger flushed something they weren’t supposed to then it can clog the vacuum for the entire aircraft rendering all toilets INOP.

Makes total sense.
They’re keeping pax onboard and they will empty the tanks. Hopefully they can resolve the issue quickly.

wjcandee

Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:30 pm

Well, it spent 3 hours on the ground and then took off for JFK. It's now 6:30pmEST; it took off at about 5pmEST from SJU, and it arrived in SJU at about 2pmEST.

So after the initial post, the thread starter told us nothing else. Classy. If the thread starter doesn't post an update, this should be locked and deleted.

questions

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:10 am

SDUMIA wrote:
Descent was fairly quick, less than 12 minutes.

That seems really quick. Is that normal?

SDUMIA
Topic Author

Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:11 am

wjcandee wrote:
Well, it spent 3 hours on the ground and then took off for JFK. It's now 6:30pmEST; it took off at about 5pmEST from SJU, and it arrived in SJU at about 2pmEST.

So after the initial post, the thread starter told us nothing else. Classy. If the thread starter doesn't post an update, this should be locked and deleted.

I would have done an update but inflight wifi is not working well today.

Currently flight is scheduled to land 8:40pm
Flight took off from SJU with only 3 lavs working. I don’t understand why they chose SJU to divert, maybe MIA would have been a better option.

dcajet

Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:31 am

SDUMIA wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Flight took off from SJU with only 3 lavs working. I don’t understand why they chose SJU to divert, maybe MIA would have been a better option.

Were you kept onboard during the time in SJU?
Keep calm and wash your hands.

747megatop

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:00 am

questions wrote:
SDUMIA wrote:

Considering the circumstances it was literally CRAPPY descent and landing at SJU i guess :-)

SDUMIA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:29 pm

Sorry, only today I’m able to update since my post was locked for the last few days.

Aircraft craft took off from SJU after 3 hours on the ground. Pax remained at the aircraft at all time, no new catering was allowed due to immigration issues.
Maintenance crew was unable to fix the problem, but were able to empty the tanks. Aircraft took off to JFK with 3 lavs inop.
Rest of the flight was uneventful, however many pax including myself missed connections and had to overnight in NY. Delta staff at JFK were very helpful.
I finally arrived in Miami more than 24 hours after I left GIG.

ojjunior

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:56 pm

Lucky you.
DL service GRU-JFK was cancelled yesterday Feb, 24th.

acavpics

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:37 pm

SDUMIA wrote:
Sorry, only today I’m able to update since my post was locked for the last few days.

Aircraft craft took off from SJU after 3 hours on the ground. Pax remained at the aircraft at all time, no new catering was allowed due to immigration issues.
Maintenance crew was unable to fix the problem, but were able to empty the tanks. Aircraft took off to JFK with 3 lavs inop.
Rest of the flight was uneventful, however many pax including myself missed connections and had to overnight in NY. Delta staff at JFK were very helpful.

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide on flying GIG-JFK-MIA? That's pretty interesting routing from a geographical point of view.

SDUMIA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:33 pm

acavpics wrote:
SDUMIA wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide on flying GIG-JFK-MIA? That's pretty interesting routing from a geographical point of view.

It was a last minute business trip to Rio, week before Carnaval. Friday and Saturday before Carnaval holiday week are one of busiest travel dates of the year. Unfortunately I could not find seats or any decent fares on LATAM (SDU-GRU-MIA), Azul (SDU-VCP-FLL), COPA (GIG-PTY-MIA) or AA’s direct GIG-MIA service.
Surprisingly I managed to book DL GIG-JFK-MIA for only 33000 points.

Last year I flew 13 round trips from MIA/FLL to RIO/SAO. By far, in my opinion, the day flights operated by LATAM to GRU and Azul to VCP are the best option.
AA GIG-MIA tends to be very expensive (only direct flight to MIA). DL’s direct service to ATL is also always full.
By the way, DL’s GIG-JFK service is seasonal, last flight is just after Carnaval next week.

SDUMIA
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:37 pm

dcajet wrote:
SDUMIA wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Were you kept onboard during the time in SJU?

Yes, onboard for 3 hours in SJU

wjcandee

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:18 pm

SDUMIA: Thanks for all the updates and explanation!! I apologize for jumping the gun.

PS Looks like N190DN has been out of rotation since the incident. Supposed to head for Dakar tonight. Suggests that the issue wasn't something that could be remedied with a quick fix. Sorry you had the delay and the overnight.

32andBelow

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:26 pm

questions wrote:
SDUMIA wrote:

OP probably didn’t notice the initial pilot discretion decent.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos