Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

2travel2know2
Topic Author

Airlines flying to both MCO and SFB?

Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:43 pm

Are there any airlines currently flying to both Orlando airports, MCO and SFB ?
Could happen someday that SFB (partly) become to MCO what FLL is to MIA ?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

Gingersnap

Re: Airlines flying to both MCO and SFB?

Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:46 pm

Nope. The 5 airlines serving SFB have no presence at MCO.

And two (TUI UK and TUI NL) of those at SFB are moving to MLB IIRC.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

tys777

Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:51 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, Allegiant briefly served the both of them, realized their mistake rather quickly and re-circled the wagons over at SFB.

TYSflyer

Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:57 pm

tys777 wrote:
If my memory serves me correctly, Allegiant briefly served the both of them, realized their mistake rather quickly and re-circled the wagons over at SFB.

Yes, you are correct. They did so in the late 2000s/early 2010s when FL ventured into many G4 routes from Orlando. G4 shifted those competing routes to MCO. Only lasted a year or 2 at the most.

axiom

Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:10 pm

The MCO region just isn’t big enough yet for these two airports to complement each other the way that FLL/MIA do. The only other exception in FL is perhaps TPA/SRQ, which are overlapping regions. (And yet, the more apt comparison, in TPA/PIE, offers a history of airlines trying to serve both, and ultimately failing.)

HNLSLCPDX

Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:25 pm

SFB is to AZA as MCO is to PHX. I can’t ever see them complimenting each as well.

Northwest1988

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:32 pm

Allegiant served both from early 2010 to early 2011. The more frequent and popular destinations moved to MCO with the less frequent staying at SFB. The original plan was to entirely move to MCO but when they discovered they were just another small fish in a big pond at MCO they switched back.

rbavfan

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:34 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:

MCO to Orlando Convention Center: 17 min best to 21min worst (on Sunday) via car & 52 min to 1h, 21 min by bus.
SFB to Orlando Convention Center: 47 min best to 48min worst (on Sunday) via car & no bus service.

MCO to Disney World: 19 min best to 24min worst (on Sunday) via car & 1h, 21 m to 1h, 50 min by bus.
SFB to Disney World: 47 min best to 48min worst (on Sunday) via car & no bus service.

So why would you add all that time. Time is money & time away from the fun.

musman9853

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:49 pm

rbavfan wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:

MCO to Orlando Convention Center: 17 min best to 21min worst (on Sunday) via car & 52 min to 1h, 21 min by bus.
SFB to Orlando Convention Center: 47 min best to 48min worst (on Sunday) via car & no bus service.

MCO to Disney World: 19 min best to 24min worst (on Sunday) via car & 1h, 21 m to 1h, 50 min by bus.
SFB to Disney World: 47 min best to 48min worst (on Sunday) via car & no bus service.

yeah no one really flies into or out of sfb. mco is just so much more convenient

also mco to convention center is closer to 10 minutes, its like 7 miles down 528.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

sonicruiser

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:49 pm

axiom wrote:
The MCO region just isn’t big enough yet for these two airports to complement each other the way that FLL/MIA do. The only other exception in FL is perhaps TPA/SRQ, which are overlapping regions. (And yet, the more apt comparison, in TPA/PIE, offers a history of airlines trying to serve both, and ultimately failing.)

DAB complements MCO, not SFB.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

zuckie13

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 pm

rbavfan wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:

Because you might save more time on the other end if you live closer to an airport that Allegiant serves?

airtrantpa

Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:02 am

not to mention SFB is in the middle of nowhere. the first time I went to SFB there was nothing around the airport, I couldn't believe there was an airport there, of course that was the day they sent space shuttle atlantis up the final time (cant remember the year 2010?) it could be built up now, but I highly doubt it.
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991

evank516

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:15 am

sonicruiser wrote:
axiom wrote:

DAB complements MCO, not SFB.

DAB and MLB both compliment MCO.

crjflyboy

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:26 am

airtrantpa wrote:
not to mention SFB is in the middle of nowhere. the first time I went to SFB there was nothing around the airport, I couldn't believe there was an airport there, of course that was the day they sent space shuttle atlantis up the final time (cant remember the year 2010?) it could be built up now, but I highly doubt it.

Sanford has doubled in size since 2010 ... the airport draws from Volusia county ( Daytona Beach ) - Brevard County ( Melbourne ) ... I don't get this everyone that travels to central Florida is going to Disney or the convention center.

It must be working or Allegiant would not be there.

stl07

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:27 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
SFB is to AZA as MCO is to PHX. I can’t ever see them complimenting each as well.

Doesn't WestJet fly to both airports

EDIT:
Yes they do, from Calgary
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

sonicruiser

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:38 am

crjflyboy wrote:
Sanford has doubled in size since 2010 ... the airport draws from Volusia county ( Daytona Beach ) - Brevard County ( Melbourne ) ... I don't get this everyone that travels to central Florida is going to Disney or the convention center.

I live on the northeast side of Orlando so I am about the same distance to both MCO and SFB from 417. SFB is slightly closer for me but I still use MCO by default because of the US3. That said, I wish SFB was a real alternative airport like FLL because it would be a lot more convenient for people like me living on the east side of Orlando. If SFB had a decent variety of airlines, I would prefer it for convenience over MCO but its a hard sell to use SFB with just Allegiant.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

2travel2know2
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:55 am

sonicruiser wrote:
If SFB had a decent variety of airlines, I would prefer it for convenience over MCO but its a hard sell to use SFB with just Allegiant.
What would be decent for SFB to start then?
DL to ATL
UA to IAH, IAD EWR?
AA to MIA
Regional jets of course!
I'm not on CM's payroll.

KMCOFlyer

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:14 am

sonicruiser wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:

I live on the northeast side of Orlando so I am about the same distance to both MCO and SFB from 417. SFB is slightly closer for me but I still use MCO by default because of the US3. That said, I wish SFB was a real alternative airport like FLL because it would be a lot more convenient for people like me living on the east side of Orlando. If SFB had a decent variety of airlines, I would prefer it for convenience over MCO but its a hard sell to use SFB with just Allegiant.

I live on the opposite side (St. Cloud) so my MCO alternative is MLB which I have found to be cheaper than MCO before surprisingly. The thing that’s great about MCO is that it’s easily accessible from both the 528 and 417 so you can most likely get to any part of Orange and most parts of Osceola and Seminole Counties in about ~30 mins (assuming there’s no traffic).

FLALEFTY

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:49 am

I remember when Allegiant tried to serve MCO and struggled. The limited and expensive-to-rent gate space was a big issue for them. The big airlines (WN, DL, et. al.) have their own, exclusive deals for fuel, but Allegiant was forced to buy fuel at MCO's "retail price". In the end the convenience factor of being closer to "The Attractions" did not offset the higher operational costs at MCO, so Allegiant retreated back to the friendlier confines of SFB where they still had a presence.

In the past Spirit was courted heavily by SFB, but decided to focus on MCO and eventually turned it into one of their largest crew bases. The legacies such as DL were not interested in having SFB service dilute their operations at MCO and DAB. Therefore, SFB has had to be content being Allegiant's "fortress hub" and offering deals to charter airlines specializing in tourist vacation packages.

KFTG

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:10 am

I believe that Aeromexico flew charters to SFB in addition to their regularly scheduled operations into MCO. This was probably 10 years ago now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos