Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Rumor: Frontier makes EWR a crew base

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:24 am

According to pilots and FAs throughout the F9 system F9 sent out a memo announcing EWR as a FA base. While F9 hasn’t announced this formally yet I expect them do do so soon. Do you think we will see anymore routes announced with it too?
Last edited by qf789 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed to rumor as no source provided

F9LASDEN

Re: Rumor: Frontier makes EWR a crew base

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:20 am

I posted this on the F9 network thread as well, but an FA on my DEN-LAS flight this afternoon did announce that a base in EWR had just been announced internally last week. She said it during the credit card sales pitch towards the end of the flight, during which they usually take a sentence or two to talk about how the rapid growth of the airline, and mentioned it in the same breath as the new crew base opening in MIA next month. When deplaning, I asked again to make sure she meant a crew base, rather than just a focus city a la TPA or RSW, and she did say, yes, an FA base at EWR had been announced to them. That’s obviously still unofficial, but it’s worth something given the nature in which she announced it.
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

Blerg

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:44 am

But aren't slots difficult to find at EWR? A crew base means they plan on growing and expanding there, where will they find room to grow?

RWA380

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:45 am

F9LASDEN wrote:
I posted this on the F9 network thread as well, but an FA on my DEN-LAS flight this afternoon did announce that a base in EWR had just been announced internally last week. She said it during the credit card sales pitch towards the end of the flight, during which they usually take a sentence or two to talk about how the rapid growth of the airline, and mentioned it in the same breath as the new crew base opening in MIA next month. When deplaning, I asked again to make sure she meant a crew base, rather than just a focus city a la TPA or RSW, and she did say, yes, an FA base at EWR had been announced to them. That’s obviously still unofficial, but it’s worth something given the nature in which she announced it.

An F/A will know about an opening F/A base. Smart move by F9 tapping into the huge NYC - Florida market, it's hurt bigger carriers to fly the masses for just a few dollars profit per ticket, but they didn't have the ancillary fees that F9 does. NYC is obviously a huge market & when WN left, F9 jumped on the chance for a larger presence in such a massive market.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

MAH4546

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:02 am

Blerg wrote:
But aren't slots difficult to find at EWR? A crew base means they plan on growing and expanding there, where will they find room to grow?

Newark no longer has slots.
a.

Blerg

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:08 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Slots or not the airport is still congested so how do they plan on growing?

Newark727

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:10 am

Welcome to Newark, Frontier crews! You'll love it!

...no?

You'll tolerate it!

Insertnamehere

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:25 am

Blerg wrote:

Newark is no longer slot restricted. Its just a hell hole of an airport that is overly congested during the United waves. I would assume they will focus on the early mornings and evenings especially considering their leisure-focused nature.

airportugal310

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:29 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
According to pilots and FAs throughout the F9 system F9 sent out a memo announcing EWR as a FA base. While F9 hasn’t announced this formally yet I expect them do do so soon. Do you think we will see anymore routes announced with it too?

Why would you assume F9 would announce this formally? Why would your typical person in the general realm even care?
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

rph99

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:20 am

Exciting!!!! Hoping for route announcements with it. So much opportunity for F9 x EWR.

Cedar

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:34 am

Blerg wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

You forget that the new terminal opens with 21 gates next year, and then 12 additional gates the following year. They will eventually move to that terminal, as it is designed for domestic carriers. As for the slots, there are plenty of day and late night slots available for those willing to use them. Mainly before 3pm, and after 9:30pm.

MAH4546

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:31 am

Cedar wrote:
Blerg wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

You forget that the new terminal opens with 21 gates next year, and then 12 additional gates the following year. They will eventually move to that terminal, as it is designed for domestic carriers. As for the slots, there are plenty of day and late night slots available for those willing to use them. Mainly before 3pm, and after 9:30pm.

Again though, no slots at Newark any more. That’s exactly how airlines like Frontier and Spirit have been able to grow at EWR.
a.

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:10 am

airportugal310 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Why would you assume F9 would announce this formally? Why would your typical person in the general realm even care?

F9 usually makes these announcements pretty big deals, most recently in Miami.

tphuang

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:24 pm

There is technically no slots at ewr but faa is not allowing flight to be added during prime hours, so they could only add flights during less profitable hours with limited number of gates.

This is surely going to go well.

MIflyer12

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:38 pm

It's not like F9 is unwilling to have people arrive in the middle of the night. (Who wants a 00:59 departure from LAX with arrival to DEN at 04:26? Not me! Nor a 01:09 arrival to MCO from DTW.) Yields will be poor but they have the costs to make it work. This can bring useful price competition to UA at EWR (if only people seeing UA wants 3x F9's lowest fares). The DOT's Consumer Airfare Report for 3Q19 showed CLT, DFW, IAD, DCA, IAH and EWR among the FAA Large Hub airports with the largest fare premiums. Maybe F9 can help passengers shave off a couple of points.

aemoreira1981

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:54 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

EWR does have gate constraints and crowding, especially around 4 PM to 8 PM departures. F9's operation is typically done after 12:30 PM.

DBCooper

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:13 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
It's not like F9 is unwilling to have people arrive in the middle of the night. (Who wants a 00:59 departure from LAX with arrival to DEN at 04:26? Not me! Nor a 01:09 arrival to MCO from DTW.) Yields will be poor but they have the costs to make it work.

I regularly take F9's 0055 LAXDEN flight - it is nearly always full. Makes a great connector from Hawaii/Pacific flights! It also makes great connections in DEN to F9's 0600 hour push.

-DBC

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:31 am

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos