moderators
Topic Author

New Forum Moderator Positions Available Now

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:29 am

Hello Everybody,

We are currently looking for new forum moderators.

If you are interested in becoming a part of our moderating team at airliners.net - send an email with some information about yourself, your interests and availability to [email protected]

Please put "Moderator Application" into the subject line of your email.

We are accepting applications until 16th March 2020.

We are looking forward to your applications.

Regards
The Airliners.net Moderating Crew
Please use [email protected] to contact us.

PHXWRLD

Re: New Forum Moderator Positions Available Now

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:49 pm

Can anybody apply or do you have to have been on the forum a certain amount of time?

wiggy

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:50 pm

do you have to be a certain age ?

NZ1
Head Moderator

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:10 am

PHXWRLD wrote:
Can anybody apply or do you have to have been on the forum a certain amount of time?

Anybody is free to apply. All applications will be assessed once the closing date has passed.
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

jbs2886

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:32 am

What is the time commitment?

anshabhi

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:59 am

jbs2886 wrote:
What is the time commitment?

Refer: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1420557

Guillaume787

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:56 pm

What happened to the previous round of applications for moderator positions? Were those ever announced?

caliboy93

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Is there any pay?

eta unknown

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:13 pm

Guillaume787 wrote:
What happened to the previous round of applications for moderator positions? Were those ever announced?

Yes they were and from what I confirmed today, one new moderator is a moderator no more.
There is no pay.

lightsaber

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Let us be clear, the moderators are volunteers, unpaid. We do this out of a desire to improve the site.

The site grows which requires more moderators.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

NZ1
Head Moderator

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:15 am

Can we please keep this thread on-topic. We welcome the asking of genuine questions in relation to the role - not questions that are trolling or aiming to take a cheap shot at the role and those who carry it out.

Posts not meeting the above will be deleted, with repeat offenders risking an account ban.
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

FriscoHeavy

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:22 pm

How many moderators will be ‘hired’?

Thanks!
Whatever

SQ22

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:13 pm

The plan is to "hire" at least two.

FriscoHeavy

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:13 pm

SQ22 wrote:
The plan is to "hire" at least two.

Thanks, SQ22.
Whatever

hOMSaR

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:02 pm

Is there a time/minimum amount of things to do commitment, or more of a contribute what/when you can deal?
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

qf789

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:02 am

hOMSaR wrote:
Is there a time/minimum amount of things to do commitment, or more of a contribute what/when you can deal?

Commitment wise ideally we would like candidates to be available every day, at a bare minimum at least 5 days a week. Time wise it does fluctuate day to day, some days you may get through your notifications fairly quickly other times it takes longer. With that being said if you are someone who visits the site most or every day and spend a few hours on here the time commitment is already there.
Forum Moderator

SQ789

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:05 am

Should I wait until March 16 that means?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

tys777

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:13 am

SQ789 wrote:

No, it means that the application period closes on the 16th. You can apply anytime before then.

SQ789

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:21 am

tys777 wrote:
SQ789 wrote:

No, it means that the application period closes on the 16th. You can apply anytime before then.

Where can I apply at?

tys777

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:33 pm

SQ789 wrote:
tys777 wrote:
SQ789 wrote:

Where can I apply at?

The OP has all the information on what steps you need to take.

SQ789

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:49 pm

tys777 wrote:
SQ789 wrote:
tys777 wrote:

Where can I apply at?

The OP has all the information on what steps you need to take.

Done.

CaptHadley

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:58 am

So, for the current mods. What were your aspirations on becoming a moderator for airliners.net. What drew you to wanting to moderate a website. How did you prepare for any interviews/questions that were asked of you when you applied. Is this something that one could put on Linkedin? At the end of the day do you have a feeling of accomplishment on making this website the best airline website on the WWW? Do you have any feelings of stress on the possibility that you may have to banish someone from this site or delete a post that he/she spent some time on posting?
Sorry, I have been thinking about putting my hat into the moderators ring. I realize the enormous amount of stress and time that one must go thru to keep this website up and running so smoothly! You guys are the best!!!

atcsundevil

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:21 am

CaptHadley wrote:
So, for the current mods. What were your aspirations on becoming a moderator for airliners.net. What drew you to wanting to moderate a website. How did you prepare for any interviews/questions that were asked of you when you applied. Is this something that one could put on Linkedin? At the end of the day do you have a feeling of accomplishment on making this website the best airline website on the WWW? Do you have any feelings of stress on the possibility that you may have to banish someone from this site or delete a post that he/she spent some time on posting?
Sorry, I have been thinking about putting my hat into the moderators ring. I realize the enormous amount of stress and time that one must go thru to keep this website up and running so smoothly! You guys are the best!!!

First of all, those are outstanding questions, and I really do mean that. Many of those are questions that people simply don't think to ask when we do these open calls. I'll try to offer whatever insight I can, and hopefully some others chime in with their opinions.

What were your aspirations on becoming a moderator for airliners.net? What drew you to wanting to moderate a website?
My aspirations centered mainly wanting to contribute in a larger way. I had been apart of this community for roughly seven years prior to applying (I had read the site for at least five years before that). I felt a vested interest in wanting to help the forum improve. I also wanted to humanize moderation a little more — we have a tendency to seem like robots to people sometimes, but I wanted to personalize the role a bit more. Just because we're mods doesn't mean we can't show personality. Most of all, I really wanted to do what I could so that others had the positive experience here that I have, and to promote a respectful atmosphere to the extent possible. It's a neverending task, but it's worthwhile.

How did you prepare for any interviews/questions that were asked of you when you applied?
I just tried to answer thoughtfully and truthfully, and draw on experience that I thought was relevant. I'm an air traffic controller, and I also went to college for aviation management; I also spent about 15 years officiating various sports up to national championship levels. The fact that this role is a lot like playing referee is relevant experience I could draw from. You don't need to have industry experience, or even any relevant experience at all, you just need a good attitude and a desire to learn. That's what we want to see reflected in your answers. Industry experience is always a plus, because I think it adds credibility to our team in the eyes of users, but it's certainly not necessary.

Is this something that one could put on Linkedin?
I don't see why not. At the very least, it's volunteer experience. If you haven't previously worked in aviation but have a desire to do so, then it might not be advisable to link your account here with your professional life. Some employers frown on online discussion, which is unfortunate. For me, I don't have any such anxieties, although I typically refrain from engaging in most discussions potentially relevant to my career. It isn't that I couldn't, it's just a personal choice. I'm sure there are plenty of "experts" who would just tell me I'm wrong anyway :bouncy:

At the end of the day do you have a feeling of accomplishment on making this website the best airline website on the WWW?
I'm not sure that I really think of it in those terms. I think I do make a difference, and I do hope that the difference I'm making is a positive one. It is generally a thankless job, but so is my real job, so I'm used to it. I think there's always a feeling that there's room for improvement, but that in itself is a motivating and rewarding feeling for me.

Do you have any feelings of stress on the possibility that you may have to banish someone from this site or delete a post that he/she spent some time on posting?
No. Let me be clear that none of us enjoy restricting someone's ability to post here. It is not a responsibility that we take lightly, and it isn't something we do out of spite. We use banning as a necessary tool to ensure order in the forums. Sometimes it's the only way to get through to someone. We typically issue multiple warnings prior to banning, so it's rarely unexpected. I don't issue a ban unless I'm confident that it's necessary and appropriate, which is why I don't experience anxiety from making those decisions. That doesn't mean that I don't occasionally express a degree of lament at the situation, but I don't ban users unless I fully believe that it's needed.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions. I wouldn't say that the role is particularly stressful, but I have a different definition of stress than a lot of people. Some users, discussions, and situations can become very tiresome, but generally it's an enjoyable role. I don't think of this as being a job, but rather a caretaking role.

NZ1
Head Moderator

Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:07 am

Thanks to all who have applied.

We will be in touch soon to outline the next steps. Due to current world events sapping up a lot of time outside of the website, please be patient as we work through the applications.
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos