Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
SR380
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:37 pm

According to ch.aviation, Ariana is looking to buy 2 A332, 2 B763 and 2 Dash 8.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... six-planes

My first question; Why would such a small airlines buy Airbus and Boeing jets instead of 4 763 or 332?
 
Softaero
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:47 am

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Interesting RFP, that's for sure. Another question is why they would specifically want Dash 8-300s and not consider getting ATRs.
Perhaps it's an issue with them having both A310 and 737 Classic pilots, and them not wanting to switch to a single manufacturer?
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19184
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Certainly seems odd to go for 2 A332 and 2 B763 rather than 4 of one or the other.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
bennett123
Posts: 9832
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Politics?.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5416
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:46 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Politics?.


I doubt it as they're looking for used airplanes, but that RFP still doesn't make much sense.

They would be doubling their long haul fleet and more than tripling the seat count with 2 separate and competing types.
They seem to be omitting the narrowbody fleet entirely, despite being probably what they need the most, what with their ancient 737 classics.

As for the Dash-8s, I suppose they might be looking for cheap stuff, and Dashes are probably cheaper than comparably old ATR-42s on the market at the moment.

Although to be honest, that sounds to me like someone knows exactly what they want to buy and who they want to buy it from but are releasing an RFP to make it sound a bit less like corruption...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10741
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Francoflier wrote:

Although to be honest, that sounds to me like someone knows exactly what they want to buy and who they want to buy it from but are releasing an RFP to make it sound a bit less like corruption...

That was my first thought as well. Ariana needs 2 A332s and 2 763s and 2 Dash-8s <20 years old not needing C check for 2 years and have 5 years or 50% of their landing gear life left, and they already know they they can pay in 4 equal installments starting 10 days from invoice? With a submission deadline of approximately a week?

They already have a source and price. They just want to make it look like they are shopping around.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4356
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:29 pm

Softaero wrote:
Interesting RFP, that's for sure. Another question is why they would specifically want Dash 8-300s and not consider getting ATRs.


Better hot and high performance from the Dash? Kabul is nearly 6,000ft AMSL.
First to fly the 787-9
 
User avatar
SR380
Topic Author
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Francoflier wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Politics?.


I doubt it as they're looking for used airplanes, but that RFP still doesn't make much sense.

They would be doubling their long haul fleet and more than tripling the seat count with 2 separate and competing types.
They seem to be omitting the narrowbody fleet entirely, despite being probably what they need the most, what with their ancient 737 classics.

As for the Dash-8s, I suppose they might be looking for cheap stuff, and Dashes are probably cheaper than comparably old ATR-42s on the market at the moment.

Although to be honest, that sounds to me like someone knows exactly what they want to buy and who they want to buy it from but are releasing an RFP to make it sound a bit less like corruption...


I don't know very well the airline network, but I recall them flying to IST, DXB, DEL, FRA... Maybe they need more seats to fly those trunk route?
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1261
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Their website says this is their current route network:

Image
 
User avatar
NearMiss
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Uzbekistan Airways is selling two 2003-built 767s. How convenient.
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
 
User avatar
Melbourne
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 am

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:52 pm

Those Airbus A310-300s are getting a little long in the tooth and are used extensively on services to the Gulf region. The Airbus A330-200 would be a good suit with the follow through of some Airbus A320 family narrow bodies.
 
User avatar
GlobalAirways
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 am

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:55 pm

scbriml wrote:
Certainly seems odd to go for 2 A332 and 2 B763 rather than 4 of one or the other.

Maybe it has to do with what's available to them and what they need.
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 232whereru, a300, aaway, Baidu [Spider], drdisque, Google [Bot], heavymetal, Ishrion, Nean1, Newark727, qf2220, qf789, sailsail, stretchjet, UALifer, USAIRWAYS321, wjcandee, WN732, WorldTraveler18 and 211 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos