Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SR380
Topic Author

Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:37 pm

According to ch.aviation, Ariana is looking to buy 2 A332, 2 B763 and 2 Dash 8.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... six-planes

My first question; Why would such a small airlines buy Airbus and Boeing jets instead of 4 763 or 332?

Softaero

Re: Ariana Afghan Airlines issues RFP to purchase six planes

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Interesting RFP, that's for sure. Another question is why they would specifically want Dash 8-300s and not consider getting ATRs.
Perhaps it's an issue with them having both A310 and 737 Classic pilots, and them not wanting to switch to a single manufacturer?
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly

scbriml

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Certainly seems odd to go for 2 A332 and 2 B763 rather than 4 of one or the other.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bennett123

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Politics?.

Francoflier

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:46 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Politics?.

I doubt it as they're looking for used airplanes, but that RFP still doesn't make much sense.

They would be doubling their long haul fleet and more than tripling the seat count with 2 separate and competing types.
They seem to be omitting the narrowbody fleet entirely, despite being probably what they need the most, what with their ancient 737 classics.

As for the Dash-8s, I suppose they might be looking for cheap stuff, and Dashes are probably cheaper than comparably old ATR-42s on the market at the moment.

Although to be honest, that sounds to me like someone knows exactly what they want to buy and who they want to buy it from but are releasing an RFP to make it sound a bit less like corruption...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Polot

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Francoflier wrote:

Although to be honest, that sounds to me like someone knows exactly what they want to buy and who they want to buy it from but are releasing an RFP to make it sound a bit less like corruption...

That was my first thought as well. Ariana needs 2 A332s and 2 763s and 2 Dash-8s <20 years old not needing C check for 2 years and have 5 years or 50% of their landing gear life left, and they already know they they can pay in 4 equal installments starting 10 days from invoice? With a submission deadline of approximately a week?

They already have a source and price. They just want to make it look like they are shopping around.

zkojq

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:29 pm

Softaero wrote:
Interesting RFP, that's for sure. Another question is why they would specifically want Dash 8-300s and not consider getting ATRs.

Better hot and high performance from the Dash? Kabul is nearly 6,000ft AMSL.
First to fly the 787-9

SR380
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Francoflier wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Politics?.

I doubt it as they're looking for used airplanes, but that RFP still doesn't make much sense.

They would be doubling their long haul fleet and more than tripling the seat count with 2 separate and competing types.
They seem to be omitting the narrowbody fleet entirely, despite being probably what they need the most, what with their ancient 737 classics.

As for the Dash-8s, I suppose they might be looking for cheap stuff, and Dashes are probably cheaper than comparably old ATR-42s on the market at the moment.

I don't know very well the airline network, but I recall them flying to IST, DXB, DEL, FRA... Maybe they need more seats to fly those trunk route?

adamblang

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Their website says this is their current route network:

NearMiss

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Uzbekistan Airways is selling two 2003-built 767s. How convenient.
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Melbourne

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:52 pm

Those Airbus A310-300s are getting a little long in the tooth and are used extensively on services to the Gulf region. The Airbus A330-200 would be a good suit with the follow through of some Airbus A320 family narrow bodies.

GlobalAirways

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:55 pm

scbriml wrote:
Certainly seems odd to go for 2 A332 and 2 B763 rather than 4 of one or the other.

Maybe it has to do with what's available to them and what they need.
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone