Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ionosphere
Topic Author

Confirmed: Trans States Shutting Down & ExpressJet losing the 175s

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:35 pm

Trans States Airlines released an internal memo today that they will be ending flying by the end of 2020. Trans States Holdings owns Trans States Airlines, Compass, and GoJet.

ExpressJet will be taking on 36 ERJ-145s from Trans States. They will be adding personal device entertainment to the ERJ-145s. ExpressJet will lose all of their 175s to SkyWest.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated

DiamondFlyer

Re: Trans States Shutting Down & ExpressJet losing the 175s

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Ionosphere wrote:
Trans States released an internal memo today that they will be ending flying by the end of 2020.

ExpressJet will be taking on 36 ERJ-145s from Trans States. They will be adding personal device entertainment to the ERJ-145s. ExpressJet will lose all of their 175s to an unnamed regional.

The unnamed regional getting 175's is Skywest. How many times can they expect to totally destroy morale at XJT and keep the place running?

Skywest taking a huge risk on staffing this many more ERJ's, between UA and AA flying. I expect an announcement sooner or later about them giving up some CRJ flying somehwere.
Last edited by DiamondFlyer on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From my cold, dead hands

KlimaBXsst

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Gojet?
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

KlimaBXsst

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Trans States Holdings owns

KlimaBXsst wrote:
GoJet

Breezeification maybe?

AndoAv8R

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:49 pm

I have a good friend who's a captain for Trans States, trying to find out any more info from him. This is sad news.

uadc8contrail

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:57 pm

i wouldnt put it past hulas that he will shut down the clown show at AX and get those 175s over to CP to keep them afloat.
Bus Driver

Ionosphere
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:15 pm

uadc8contrail wrote:
i wouldnt put it past hulas that he will shut down the clown show at AX and get those 175s over to CP to keep them afloat.

Honestly I'm surprised it wasn't CP shutting down first. AA & DL both want to get rid of CP. They'll be next to go. GoJet seems like the only one of the three with any future.

Ishrion

Re: Rumor: Trans States Shutting Down & ExpressJet losing the 175s

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Is this really a rumor? Here’s a link to the memo saying they’re shutting down:

https://www.avm-mag.com/trans-states-ai ... d-of-2020/

BNAMealer

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Is it just Trans State shutting down or is GoJet and Compass shutting down as well?

DiamondFlyer

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:29 pm

uadc8contrail wrote:

Seeing as there’s already press releases saying the 175s are going to OO, I’d say your wrong
From my cold, dead hands

dc10lover

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:36 pm

I would still think you will need the TransStates Pilots. No layoffs
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

KLMatSJC

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:42 pm

Ionosphere wrote:
uadc8contrail wrote:

Honestly I'm surprised it wasn't CP shutting down first. AA & DL both want to get rid of CP. They'll be next to go. GoJet seems like the only one of the three with any future.

TSA is shutting down at the end of 2020. I personally would't be shocked to see CP go before that.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

ScottB

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:47 pm

dc10lover wrote:

Well, at this point any AX pilot who isn't planning on retiring by the end of the year would have to be putting in applications with anyone hiring. You'd think, if they're smart, they'd offer a flow to GoJet to any pilot willing to stick around to keep the operation running.

Ionosphere wrote:
GoJet seems like the only one of the three with any future.

Yep. But that's a single contract with a single customer. Delta's long-term strategy is to reduce the number of regional operators so they're not likely to be offering any contracts for flying in the future. I think that if I were running TSH, I'd be looking for an exit as consolidation in the regional business seems to be the theme with the market for low-wage pilots having dried up.

32andBelow

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 pm

Doubt they make it to summer without massive retention bonuses. That pilot group is gonna be gone.

DiamondFlyer

Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:51 pm

ScottB wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

Well, at this point any AX pilot who isn't planning on retiring by the end of the year would have to be putting in applications with anyone hiring. You'd think, if they're smart, they'd offer a flow to GoJet to any pilot willing to stick around to keep the operation running.

Ionosphere wrote:

Yep. But that's a single contract with a single customer. Delta's long-term strategy is to reduce the number of regional operators so they're not likely to be offering any contracts for flying in the future. I think that if I were running TSH, I'd be looking for an exit as consolidation in the regional business seems to be the theme with the market for low-wage pilots having dried up.

G7 was just given the contract on the UA 550 flying. They’ll be fine, assuming they are able to staff it
From my cold, dead hands

Scarebus34

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Ishrion wrote:

No it's not a rumor - not sure why the thread states it as such.

Scarebus34

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:18 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
ScottB wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

Ionosphere wrote:

G7 was just given the contract on the UA 550 flying. They’ll be fine, assuming they are able to staff it

I am sure with the shutdown of AX and the likely shutdown of CP - Hulas is hoping enough people move to G7 to staff the flying.

Polot

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Probably because at the time of the posting the OP had no link, only a reference to an internal memo. Mods here can get a bit touchy if you open a thread and state something without publicly demonstrable proof.

TripleA

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:37 pm

I know at the station I work at AX's reliability is terrible. The UAX employees are constantly complaining about how awful the reliability is, with maintenance delays being a huge issue. I'm sure they'll be happy to see a different regional carrier takeover the UA flying.

bradyj23

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:46 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Probably because OP didn’t post a source.
This will make for some interesting shuffling at the regional level. But consolidation is probably needed.

jetmatt777

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:51 pm

It would be wise of United to give trans states a one-time cash infusion to be used for pilot retention over the summer, or guaranteed interview/hire at United if they stick with TSA through the wind down.

ScottB

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:57 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:

That depends on the duration of the contract and, as you noted, G7's ability to meet performance targets. But honestly, the time to sell is when the asset has value. Unless they have a path to expanding the flying or picking up another contract (AA?) it's not clear what the future is for an airline flying only a few dozen 50-seat CR7s.

ericm2031

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:07 pm

ScottB wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

That depends on the duration of the contract and, as you noted, G7's ability to meet performance targets. But honestly, the time to sell is when the asset has value. Unless they have a path to expanding the flying or picking up another contract (AA?) it's not clear what the future is for an airline flying only a few dozen 50-seat CR7s.

It's 10 years and will be 74 planes.

atcsundevil

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:13 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Forum rules require that threads be labeled as rumors or unconfirmed until a source is provided. The thread title has been changed to reflect the sources provided since the topic creation.

Murf

Re: Confirmed: Trans States Shutting Down & ExpressJet losing the 175s

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:27 pm

That seems strange... Didn't Expressjet just introduce the E175 into it's fleet within the last year or so... Why would an airline lose a fleet type... That's a lot of capital to lay down or in this case waste for a new fleet and then lose it... Was it performance??? Anyone out there with any more detailed intel on this

MIflyer12

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:51 pm

ScottB wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

Ionosphere wrote:

Yep. But that's a single contract with a single customer. Delta's long-term strategy is to reduce the number of regional operators so they're not likely to be offering any contracts for flying in the future.

DL has announced its intention to end Compass and GoJet flying by the end of the year. From the annual report:

We have agreed with each of Compass and GoJet not to renew our existing arrangements and end our relationship with each by the end of 2020.

astaz

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:52 pm

Murf wrote:
That seems strange... Didn't Expressjet just introduce the E175 into it's fleet within the last year or so... Why would an airline lose a fleet type... That's a lot of capital to lay down or in this case waste for a new fleet and then lose it... Was it performance??? Anyone out there with any more detailed intel on this

I think the easy answer is consolidation...

TSA says we don’t wanna fly these planes at a loss, UA says where can we put them.

XJT and CommutAir currently operate 145’s and Mesa and SkyWest do not.. Convincing one of the later two to add a fleet type, would be tough.... CommutAir would likely struggle to staff additional frames, and the DEN flying would be in left field for the current operation.

Instead, you offer XJT the 36 145s at more favorable rates, in exchange for the 175s. You can then place those frames at one of your operators that can likely staff and already operate the type.

strfyr51

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 pm

TripleA wrote:
I know at the station I work at AX's reliability is terrible. The UAX employees are constantly complaining about how awful the reliability is, with maintenance delays being a huge issue. I'm sure they'll be happy to see a different regional carrier takeover the UA flying.

can't really tell if the maintenance problems are Lack of Maintenance ? Or? Lack of mechanics. With Mainline mechanics demanding up to $36.00/Hr? Is it any wonder why Regionals are suffering from the Lack of mechanics? You can't bid rock Bottom contracts and expect everybody to be happy about it. Especially when they can get better Pay and Benefits, Mechanic shortages are all over the nation, And Pilot shortages might well follow pretty quickly.

B717fan

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:16 pm

I'm curious as to who will replace them on the Denver-Grand Junction route.

crjflyboy

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:26 pm

How many 121 certificates in play ?

Scarebus34

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:29 pm

Murf wrote:

It's all about economics... It makes more sense to run a single fleet type. ExpressJet can now benefit from the economies of scale by having an all E145 fleet. I would also look for further consolidation down the road with CommutAir and ExpressJet merging. If Trans States wasn't able to profitably operate 36 airplanes, I can't see how CommutAir is faring any better with 35. This also helps United reduce the overall amount of regional carriers.

dstblj52

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:35 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
Murf wrote:

It's all about economics... It makes more sense to run a single fleet type. ExpressJet can now benefit from the economies of scale by having an all E145 fleet. I would also look for further consolidation down the road with CommutAir and ExpressJet merging. If Trans States wasn't able to profitably operate 36 airplanes, I can't see how CommutAir is faring any better with 35. This also helps United reduce the overall amount of regional carriers.

I would be surprised to see a merging of commute air and express jet until their is another E145 operator for united express. When you look at consolidation you want to always have at least two options of where to place an aircraft from the majors point of view (Delta can place CRJ's with endeavor or skywest and EMB170/175 with skywest or republic), but I would not be surprised to see further consolidation amongst both the express and eagle carriers

747-600X

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:48 pm

GoJet recently lost Delta flying, so now they only have United. And with Trans States leaving the picture, the overall Trans States Holding operation is getting considerably smaller. GoJet is marketing the hell out of the "CRJ-550" which is literally just a CRJ-700 with fewer seats so it only needs 1 flight attendant. That strikes me as the sort of desperate measure in which United/GoJet would engage if they were trying to find a way to keep their CR7s afloat. Since the CRJ-550 is just a CRJ-700 with 20 *fewer* seats, I don't think it'll be long before someone realizes that it's a terrible idea. When that happens, I think GoJet will be next on the chopping block. Compass at least flies airplanes that are halfway decent, and their strong connection with Delta is - at least for now - a good indication that they'll be around for a while (good planes + good brand). It's no surprise that Trans States couldn't keep its scrappy operation running and with the bleeding at GoJet, I feel like "Trans States Holdings" is only a year or two from holding nothing more than Compass.

dstblj52

Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:51 pm

747-600X wrote:
GoJet recently lost Delta flying, so now they only have United. And with Trans States leaving the picture, the overall Trans States Holding operation is getting considerably smaller. GoJet is marketing the hell out of the "CRJ-550" which is literally just a CRJ-700 with fewer seats so it only needs 1 flight attendant. That strikes me as the sort of desperate measure in which United/GoJet would engage if they were trying to find a way to keep their CR7s afloat. Since the CRJ-550 is just a CRJ-700 with 20 *fewer* seats, I don't think it'll be long before someone realizes that it's a terrible idea. When that happens, I think GoJet will be next on the chopping block. Compass at least flies airplanes that are halfway decent, and their strong connection with Delta is - at least for now - a good indication that they'll be around for a while (good planes + good brand). It's no surprise that Trans States couldn't keep its scrappy operation running and with the bleeding at GoJet, I feel like "Trans States Holdings" is only a year or two from holding nothing more than Compass.

Except compass just lost their Delta contract so they only have 20 planes flying for AA out of LAX which is the exact number OO just bought to operate for AA out of LAX. I think gojet is the most stable branch of TSH but that's not saying it much

Runway28L

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:13 pm

Murf wrote:

That's what I found to be most surprising alongside AX folding before CZ. But it starts to make sense when you look at where the fleet types are allocated under the UA banner: still mostly ERJs at EV and a large chunk of E75s at OO. Playing to the strengths of fleet commonality.

Scarebus34 wrote:
It's all about economics... It makes more sense to run a single fleet type. ExpressJet can now benefit from the economies of scale by having an all E145 fleet.

:checkmark:

jbs2886

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 pm

747-600X wrote:

Except the facts indicate otherwise. UA has added to its 550 plans at least twice, most recently with an additional 20 aircraft. Those aircraft are long paid off and with just 1 FA become cheaper to operate, while giving UA significantly more premium revenue.

RyanairGuru

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:43 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
747-600X wrote:

Except the facts indicate otherwise. UA has added to its 550 plans at least twice, most recently with an additional 20 aircraft. Those aircraft are long paid off and with just 1 FA become cheaper to operate, while giving UA significantly more premium revenue.

Unless the pilots give ground on scope (very unlikely) or United add a "small mainline" fleet (possible, but unlikely given previous statements from Kirby about the economics not working) then the 550 is here to stay. United have backed themselves into a corner by agreeing to a direct copy of Delta's scope without adding a small mainline airplane. They desperately need to increase their number of two class RJs and right now this is the only viable way to do so.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Web500sjc

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:46 pm

747-600X wrote:

I think UA is the one that payed for the CRJ550, I imagine those will be around for at least 5 years, unless TSH completely folds. UA has bet that Adding a “premium option” is the future of their 50 seat fleet, and right now the “premium option” is filled by the CRJ550. GoJet is relatively safe at the moment.

The only thing of value CZ has is the operating certificate and the Authority to operate e175s- today we witnessed those to be worthless. UA is letting XJ throw away the 175 authority after less than a year, and we are watching TSH throw away a 121 certificate. CZ doesn’t own any airplanes or office space. Their DL jets are going to RP and OO by the end of the year, the PHX and SEA bases will close by the end of May, and the AA jets are owned by AAG.

TSH will be little more than GJ with in 24 months.
Boiler Up!

747-600X

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:39 am

I did not realize Compass had lost its Delta contract as well. That leaves TSH with just GoJet, as many others have said. The CRJ-550 idea is cute, but I don't think it'll last.

KCaviator

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Any predictions on the future of UAX? Here’s mine:

ExpressJet
GoJet
SkyWest
Mesa

CommutAir will merge with ExpressJet. Air Wisconsin will likely be TSA’d after their contract expires. Fate of Republic is up in the air, IMO. Could go either way.

AndoAv8R

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:26 pm

If Im not mistaken Trans States has lost a lot of flying over the last couple of years. I know my friend used to do a lot of flying out of IAH (then lost back to Expressjet) then a lot of northeastern flying (cant remember for sure who) then just ORD and DEN (and being a local to colorado and us growing up with many field trips to DEN he said that was his favorite perk)

Also from what hes told me things have been iffy for a while. The owners we're cutting costs everywhere they could (deactivating reverse thrusters to save on maintenance costs, subpar paint jobs)

Has anyone heard if they pilots will get any kind of fast track interviews with any of the other regional carriers or will they be on their own to find a new job?

KCaviator

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:04 pm

AndoAv8R wrote:
If Im not mistaken Trans States has lost a lot of flying over the last couple of years. I know my friend used to do a lot of flying out of IAH (then lost back to Expressjet) then a lot of northeastern flying (cant remember for sure who) then just ORD and DEN (and being a local to colorado and us growing up with many field trips to DEN he said that was his favorite perk)

Also from what hes told me things have been iffy for a while. The owners we're cutting costs everywhere they could (deactivating reverse thrusters to save on maintenance costs, subpar paint jobs)

Has anyone heard if they pilots will get any kind of fast track interviews with any of the other regional carriers or will they be on their own to find a new job?

The northeastern flying you’re referring to was for AA out of DCA and RDU.

With almost every airline hiring at every level, these pilots should find jobs. I’ve heard rumors of ExpressJet going to offer a “soft landing” for TSA pilots. Which makes sense because XJT is going to have a hard time staffing these additional frames.

JBo

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:26 pm

KCaviator wrote:

ExpressJet
GoJet
SkyWest
Mesa

CommutAir will merge with ExpressJet. Air Wisconsin will likely be TSA’d after their contract expires. Fate of Republic is up in the air, IMO. Could go either way.

The one thing with ZW is that they own all of their aircraft outright, not United - but there still isn't that much of a market for 50-seat lift. ZW doesn't have much of a future without somehow acquiring larger aircraft, but they might be able to take over the 550s if G7 can't perform.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

KlimaBXsst

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:02 pm

Trans States Holdings. Is this still a viable hiring agency?

Compass employees must be feeling the greatest angst right now as those on the Waterski certificate have mere months left there.

Are any regionals stable and worthy of making a lifetime career, seeing how Trans States and remember Comair found ways to implode in a booming industry.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:05 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:

Compass employees must be feeling the greatest angst right now as those on the Waterski certificate have mere months left there.

Are any regionals stable and worthy of making a lifetime career, seeing how Trans States and remember Comair found ways to implode in a booming industry.

Regionals have never been set up as a career destination. They need constant fresh blood to keep costs low. Career pilots don’t do that. It’s a get in, get time, get to a LCC/major ASAP game
From my cold, dead hands

KlimaBXsst

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:26 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

Regionals have never been set up as a career destination. They need constant fresh blood to keep costs low. Career pilots don’t do that. It’s a get in, get time, get to a LCC/major ASAP game

Yes, WE ALL know now this is most likely the case, as a result of airline deregulation history.

However many regionals have operations in smaller places like St George Utah, which don’t offer many US3 airline job opportunities. Additionally many people are NOT interested in the chaos of overpriced big cities. Makes me think deregulation has FAILED, in its abilities to foster good decentralized airline jobs across the nation. That is a whole other debate though.

Which regional airline companies though are MOST stable, and worthy of a longer term commitment. YOUR take is NONE. I do get that, but some regionals are better than others I am sure?

dstblj52

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:37 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

Yes, WE ALL know now this is most likely the case, as a result of airline deregulation history.

However many regionals have operations in smaller places like St George Utah, which don’t offer many US3 airline job opportunities. Additionally many people are NOT interested in the chaos of overpriced big cities. Makes me think deregulation has FAILED, in its abilities to foster good decentralized airline jobs across the nation. That is a whole other debate though.

Which regional airline companies though are MOST stable, and worthy of a longer term commitment. YOUR take is NONE. I do get that, but some regionals are better than others I am sure?

The only really stable one seems to be the monster OO, there bigger then most of the LCC's and generally run a good operation

oosnowrat

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:45 pm

KCaviator wrote:

ExpressJet
GoJet
SkyWest
Mesa

IIRC AA, DL and UA all have ownership interests in Republic. Republic is prolly safe for the time being.

oosnowrat

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:54 pm

JBo wrote:
The one thing with ZW is that they own all of their aircraft outright, not United - but there still isn't that much of a market for 50-seat lift. ZW doesn't have much of a future without somehow acquiring larger aircraft, but they might be able to take over the 550s if G7 can't perform.

OO is spending an extra $15m on their CRJ fleet this year to keep it flying longer. They still see a 50-seat market to fill.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:57 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

Flight crew jobs are 100% commutable. In fact, a majority of crews in this country commute to work in some way. OO would be the most "stable" but even they will start to slide when things drastically change. I don't see the fee-for-departure model surviving beyond 2025 at this point.
From my cold, dead hands

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos