Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alasizon

Re: Confirmed: Trans States Shutting Down & ExpressJet losing the 175s

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:01 pm

I don't think it should really surprise anyone that AX is shutting down, the operation has been challenged for a long time and UA has been their life line for a while. The more surprising part should probably be the loss of the 175 from EV, given the fact they were just awarded them and are psuedo wholly-owned.

oosnowrat wrote:
KCaviator wrote:
Any predictions on the future of UAX? Here’s mine:

ExpressJet
GoJet
SkyWest
Mesa

CommutAir will merge with ExpressJet. Air Wisconsin will likely be TSA’d after their contract expires. Fate of Republic is up in the air, IMO. Could go either way.

IIRC AA, DL and UA all have ownership interests in Republic. Republic is prolly safe for the time being.

Even if UA were to cut the contract with YX, while as unlikely as it is, it would only hurt for a very short term. AA and DL would gladly allow YX to pick up more flying for them.

oosnowrat wrote:
JBo wrote:
The one thing with ZW is that they own all of their aircraft outright, not United - but there still isn't that much of a market for 50-seat lift. ZW doesn't have much of a future without somehow acquiring larger aircraft, but they might be able to take over the 550s if G7 can't perform.

OO is spending an extra $15m on their CRJ fleet this year to keep it flying longer. They still see a 50-seat market to fill.

OO though also operates a lot of at-risk flying and Mountain West flying with those frames, ZW does not. Personally, I wish that ZW had placed a more competitive bid for the CR5s such that UA had considered splitting the fleet up. I don't see G7 being able to staff the entire 74 frames long term and the CR5 is only successful if the on-time performance is there in the long term.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

capitalflyer

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:09 pm

Here is article in St. Louis Post Dispatch

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... 834ce.html

capitalflyer

Re: Rumor: Trans States Shutting Down & ExpressJet losing the 175s

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:12 pm

dc10lover wrote:
I would still think you will need the TransStates Pilots. No layoffs

According to Chicago Business Journals (apologies for paywalls, etc.), Trans States pilots may be shifted to CRJ550 (CR7-lite) flying as that grows.
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... endor.html

This article also confirms that OO is the recipient of the E75s. I think this is continued shaking out of regional realignment. OO will focus E75 out of DEN and shift more fully west of the Mississippi with ExpressJet taking over those former OO flights (that are CR2s) and all Trans States flights.

capitalflyer

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:36 pm

KCaviator wrote:

ExpressJet
GoJet
SkyWest
Mesa

CommutAir will merge with ExpressJet. Air Wisconsin will likely be TSA’d after their contract expires. Fate of Republic is up in the air, IMO. Could go either way.

I think this looks right. Who owns CommutAir's planes? If UA owns them, I think they are more likely to get "TSA'd" in the near future, I don't see Commutair being an asset to ExpressJet other than the planes. UA can end contract and reassign planes to ExpressJet. GoJet will become all UAX CRJ550 airline.
I see Air Wisconsin hanging in there a little longer at least, primarily at ORD to midwest. I also see Republic hanging around as well as they have too big a UAX footprint to be replaced easily by Mesa. And I think they own a good number of aircraft, so just ending their contract would create big gap in capacity.

So I would add Air Wisconsin and Republic to the list, at least for the next 5 years or so.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:51 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
KCaviator wrote:

ExpressJet
GoJet
SkyWest
Mesa

I think this looks right. Who owns CommutAir's planes? If UA owns them, I think they are more likely to get "TSA'd" in the near future, I don't see Commutair being an asset to ExpressJet other than the planes. UA can end contract and reassign planes to ExpressJet. GoJet will become all UAX CRJ550 airline.
I see Air Wisconsin hanging in there a little longer at least, primarily at ORD to midwest. I also see Republic hanging around as well as they have too big a UAX footprint to be replaced easily by Mesa. And I think they own a good number of aircraft, so just ending their contract would create big gap in capacity.

So I would add Air Wisconsin and Republic to the list, at least for the next 5 years or so.

The C5 birds all came from XJT to begin with, so it's not impossible to move them back. Staffing will never allow for that to happen though.
From my cold, dead hands

INFINITI329

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:50 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
UA can end contract and reassign planes to ExpressJet

With UA owning 40% of CommutAir I say a merger with Expressjet is the most likely outcome

JohnAudiR18

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:49 am

So, let me get this straight. Trans States Airlines is shutting down (confirmed?), Compass is on the decline and out (barring any major changes?), all of Express Jet's E175's are going to Sky West (confirmed?) and take over some AA flying on E175's (rumored?), Express Jet will take on all 145 flying? and focus on more west coast flying? So, my two questions is this: What becomes of GoJet, will they stay under Trans States Holdings? Secondly, what was the thing about device holder? Infotainment thing? being put in the 145's?

intotheair

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:57 am

INFINITI329 wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:

With UA owning 40% of CommutAir I say a merger with Expressjet is the most likely outcome

That of course would make sense, but how tricky would that be? UA already effectively owns Xpressjet but has to dance around it by not owning more than half of it directly in order to keep the Xpressjet FAs out of the mainline FA contract.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

amcnd

Re: Rumor: Trans States Shutting Down & ExpressJet losing the 175s

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:02 am

capitalflyer wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
I would still think you will need the TransStates Pilots. No layoffs

According to Chicago Business Journals (apologies for paywalls, etc.), Trans States pilots may be shifted to CRJ550 (CR7-lite) flying as that grows.
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... endor.html

This article also confirms that OO is the recipient of the E75s. I think this is continued shaking out of regional realignment. OO will focus E75 out of DEN and shift more fully west of the Mississippi with ExpressJet taking over those former OO flights (that are CR2s) and all Trans States flights.

OO internally said these E175’s from XJT will primarily fly out of IAH/ORD..

amcnd

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:08 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Trans States Holdings. Is this still a viable hiring agency?

Compass employees must be feeling the greatest angst right now as those on the Waterski certificate have mere months left there.

Are any regionals stable and worthy of making a lifetime career, seeing how Trans States and remember Comair found ways to implode in a booming industry.

While i agree, staying at a small regional could bit you..
The bigger regionals can be a good career.. I know some 20 year guys that are LCA’s or SCA’s (Line Check airman/ Sim..) that make more, or as much as Major Captains and home every night..

INFINITI329

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:28 pm

intotheair wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:

That of course would make sense, but how tricky would that be? UA already effectively owns Xpressjet but has to dance around it by not owning more than half of it directly in order to keep the Xpressjet FAs out of the mainline FA contract.

I don't think it would be that hard. Champlain Enterprises, Inc ("majority" owner of CommutAir) would acquire ExpressJet for pennies on the dollar. Champlain would take a 51% stake in the combined carrier while UA would have 49%. UA could elect to take less of a stake officially but still would be in theoretical control. The current CEO of ExpressJet is the former CEO of Commut Air. The current CEO of CommutAir was a career United/Continental guy for 30+ years. I don't believe either of these are coincidences. UA is playing long-ball here.

dstblj52

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:32 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
intotheair wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

I don't think it would be that hard. Champlain Enterprises, Inc ("majority" owner of CommutAir) would acquire ExpressJet for pennies on the dollar. Champlain would take a 51% stake in the combined carrier while UA would have 49%. UA could elect to take less of a stake officially but still would be in theoretical control. The current CEO of ExpressJet is the former CEO of Commut Air. The current CEO of CommutAir was a career United/Continental guy for 30+ years. I don't believe either of these are coincidences. UA is playing long-ball here.

Only reason thats might not happen is that commutair is a non union shop and expressjet has a fairly strong union for a regional, and if that was put to a vote it would likely all be a union shop

JBo

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:51 pm

oosnowrat wrote:
JBo wrote:
The one thing with ZW is that they own all of their aircraft outright, not United - but there still isn't that much of a market for 50-seat lift. ZW doesn't have much of a future without somehow acquiring larger aircraft, but they might be able to take over the 550s if G7 can't perform.

OO is spending an extra $15m on their CRJ fleet this year to keep it flying longer. They still see a 50-seat market to fill.

I'm not saying that there *isn't* a market for 50-seat lift, but the mainline carriers are clearly inclined to upgrade as many regional routes to 60-70 seat aircraft as they feasibly can. With the 550 coming into the fleet, that displaces even more CR2/E145 routes.

OO has a bunch of EAS contracts, which will keep their CR2s flying for as long as they retain those contracts. With AX winding down, it's probably only a matter of time before CommutAir either gets phased out and shut down, or acquired by ExpressJet and absorbed so that UA's single-class 50-seat lift is consolidated between OO, EV, and ZW.

ZW's future is just a big question mark from my viewpoint. On one hand, I've never heard as many complaints about their operation as I've heard about other regionals - to my knowledge they're one of the more consistent and reputable operators. But on the other hand, the CR2 is a dated airframe. ZW owns their aircraft, so they could pursue EAS routes if they wanted to, but at least in the upper midwest they'd be competing with OO to bid for the same UAX service on many of those routes.

Circling back: If GoJet can't operate reliably with the CR5s, I see ZW as the best candidate to take over that flying.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

MIflyer12

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:27 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
Only reason thats might not happen is that commutair is a non union shop and expressjet has a fairly strong union for a regional, and if that was put to a vote it would likely all be a union shop

What are the relative sizes (say, pilot craft) at Commutair and ExpressJet? If Commutair is small enough no election is required.

sdh9

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:51 pm

Bad info, both CMT and XJT pilots are represented by ALPA.

dstblj52

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:38 pm

sdh9 wrote:

Sorry I don't know what I was thinking I must have gotten confused about that somewhere

FormerBHMRamper

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:26 pm

sdh9 wrote:

United technically owns both. 40% of C5 and a “minority stake” of EV. Odds are high and we already know they are calling the shots for both. A merger is definitely in the future. It’s a matter of when not if.

toltommy

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:09 am

FormerBHMRamper wrote:
United technically owns both. 40% of C5 and a “minority stake” of EV. Odds are high and we already know they are calling the shots for both. A merger is definitely in the future. It’s a matter of when not if.

More like United technically DOESN'T own both. But as you point out, the shots are being called from Willis Tower. A merger isn't necessarily the done deal that you think it is. Remember that ExpressJet was owned by Skywest, and never merged in. 2 regional subsidiaries can be used for some old school whipsawing at contract time. A little harder now because of pilot shortages, but pilots like growth. So it's not outside the realm of possibility. I'd say that based on the current ownership structure, it's more unlikely than likely.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

strfyr51

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:47 am

747-600X wrote:
GoJet recently lost Delta flying, so now they only have United. And with Trans States leaving the picture, the overall Trans States Holding operation is getting considerably smaller. GoJet is marketing the hell out of the "CRJ-550" which is literally just a CRJ-700 with fewer seats so it only needs 1 flight attendant. That strikes me as the sort of desperate measure in which United/GoJet would engage if they were trying to find a way to keep their CR7s afloat. Since the CRJ-550 is just a CRJ-700 with 20 *fewer* seats, I don't think it'll be long before someone realizes that it's a terrible idea. When that happens, I think GoJet will be next on the chopping block. Compass at least flies airplanes that are halfway decent, and their strong connection with Delta is - at least for now - a good indication that they'll be around for a while (good planes + good brand). It's no surprise that Trans States couldn't keep its scrappy operation running and with the bleeding at GoJet, I feel like "Trans States Holdings" is only a year or two from holding nothing more than Compass.

the CRJ-550 was United's Idea and the airplanes are United OWNED. Trans Stated Bid the contract TO operate them on behalf of United. I'm almost sure they underbid the pilot fees and Salaries. They had every right to Bid, But the Pilots have every right to fly for the best money too. And the reality is? The Profit margins are squeezed, and this? Looks like the Squeeze might not be worth the effort. Though? It will make SkyWest that much stronger and United that much wiser and Not so much to focus on the Fee for departure, but the quality OF the departure which includes the ON Time factor and schedule reliability, Because after all? What difference does it make to even Have the Departure if you can't make it On Time? Or? At ALL!
'

gcb5196

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:28 am

strfyr51 wrote:
the CRJ-550 was United's Idea and the airplanes are United OWNED. Trans Stated Bid the contract TO operate them on behalf of United. I'm almost sure they underbid the pilot fees and Salaries. They had every right to Bid, But the Pilots have every right to fly for the best money too. And the reality is? The Profit margins are squeezed, and this? Looks like the Squeeze might not be worth the effort. Though? It will make SkyWest that much stronger and United that much wiser and Not so much to focus on the Fee for departure, but the quality OF the departure which includes the ON Time factor and schedule reliability, Because after all? What difference does it make to even Have the Departure if you can't make it On Time? Or? At ALL!
'

Please don't quote me on this but I was under the impression that some but not all of the CRJ700's sourced for the 550 are leased from SkyWest. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know from one of the last earnings calls they mentioned they were leasing 700's to another domestic carrier, maybe I was just reading into it. If it's not those, I would be curious to where they ended up.

jetmatt777

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:34 am

gcb5196 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
'

Please don't quote me on this but I was under the impression that some but not all of the CRJ700's sourced for the 550 are leased from SkyWest. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know from one of the last earnings calls they mentioned they were leasing 700's to another domestic carrier, maybe I was just reading into it. If it's not those, I would be curious to where they ended up.

You are correct. OO owns them and dry-leases them to G7.

T18

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:21 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
gcb5196 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
'

It is correct that not all of them are OO leases.
A few are owned by G7 and a few show other banks and investment firms as the owner (according to FAA records).
I will be curious to see how much AX staff (both crew and office) is offered a move to G7 and what the seniority and other implications are.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

FormerBHMRamper

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:52 am

T18 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
gcb5196 wrote:

It is correct that not all of them are OO leases.
A few are owned by G7 and a few show other banks and investment firms as the owner (according to FAA records).
I will be curious to see how much AX staff (both crew and office) is offered a move to G7 and what the seniority and other implications are.

Can (or will AX pilots) even to go G7 with them being non-union?? Well, they have teamsters now, right? Still might as well say it’s non-union since thats not even in the same league as ALPA...I remember the days when G7 pilots were looked down upon for being scabs...

eugdjinn

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:03 pm

Whether the AX pilots switch over to the G7 flying and certificate is likely a matter of the deal offered to them.

ExpressJet will offer a bonus for the type rating, and just to get them, but nothing for their years of service at AX.... SkyWest will offer something for their years. Who knows whether Envoy will craft something truly novel and even more enticing.

For those who have only a few years until forced retirement, an offer to hold their seniority, and pay and jump across to G7 will probably do the trick, it held ASA senior pilots at ExpressJet. I suspect it's been factored in to the deal for the 550's that G7 may have a senior and expensive pilot group.

The things to watch here in my mind are how fast we see pink slips inside TSA corporate offices, and what happens to the Flight Attendant group. Nobody seems to notice how people just hang out in HQ jobs for 20+ years with gradually rising salaries and ill-defined job functions, adding to the costs. And the loss of the 175s at EV speaks volumes to the real value of people who've flown 50 seat jets for 40 years and now proved they could not handle first class, even with a core of ASA people trying desperately to teach them how. I think maybe we will see a radical re-think of FA salaries. (If the start in a regional were a liveable wage - $23 to get quality people, and a hard top out at 10 or so years, especially in 50 seat aircraft airlines there might be a massive reduction in turnover and with it, less money wasted in training people who are gone in months. By 10 years, you're either happy here, and accept the wage, or need to go to a mainline carrier, but the margins aren't going to allow this to be $40-45/hour work.)

usxguy

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:33 pm

I'm wondering about Compass at this point... they are also on their way out, no?

Scary to think that all will be left of the once powerhouse will be GoJet, the once "scab" airline. (ref: ALPA, not me. I honestly don't care).
xx

jagraham

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:29 pm

UA just brought a flight training school because they are having staffing difficulties. Coronavirus will provide short term relief, but the long term trend is inevitable. Trans States flight crew will be OK in the end . . .

drdisque

Trans States last scheduled flight

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi, since the Trans States early shutdown thread was merged into the COVID-19 thread, I was wondering if anyone had identified the last scheduled Trans States flight.

Obviously given the circumstances there will be no cake and no speeches, which is really sad, but I hope we can memorialize the last flight of such a long and storied carrier digitally.

They're definitely operating some flights on 4/1. The last I can find in a quick search is UA4621 SGF-ORD at 1137 AM

Can anyone else find anything later?

Acey559

Re: Trans States last scheduled flight

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Our last flights out of MLI is the originator to ORD and the 8:50am to DEN. TSA was the first airline I ever flew on (MLI-STL in the TWE days) back in ‘97 and it was that flight when I decided I wanted to be a pilot. I’ll be sad to see them go. They’ve also had a line maintenance base at MLI for a bit so it’ll be sad to see that go.

I wish the best for all of their employees and hope they are able to land on their feet.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

superjeff

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 pm

Acey559 wrote:
Our last flights out of MLI is the originator to ORD and the 8:50am to DEN. TSA was the first airline I ever flew on (MLI-STL in the TWE days) back in ‘97 and it was that flight when I decided I wanted to be a pilot. I’ll be sad to see them go. They’ve also had a line maintenance base at MLI for a bit so it’ll be sad to see that go.

I wish the best for all of their employees and hope they are able to land on their feet.

I agree. My first trip with them was in the Resort Air days (Metroliner) flying JLN-STL in 1985. I'll never forget that flight because there was a guy that needed to use the lavatory and, of course, the Metroliner didn't have one :-(.

I wish the employees luck in securing new employment as soon as we're back to a semblance of normal with the Covid19 situation!

n7371f

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:00 am

Will chub ball Rick and his stache be there?

drdisque wrote:
Hi, since the Trans States early shutdown thread was merged into the COVID-19 thread, I was wondering if anyone had identified the last scheduled Trans States flight.

Obviously given the circumstances there will be no cake and no speeches, which is really sad, but I hope we can memorialize the last flight of such a long and storied carrier digitally.

They're definitely operating some flights on 4/1. The last I can find in a quick search is UA4621 SGF-ORD at 1137 AM

Can anyone else find anything later?

drdisque

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:06 pm

LOF aircraft have begun ferrying to CLE and TYS under 33XX flight numbers. Many of the flights tomorrow have been cancelled including the 1134 SGF-ORD flight I identified earlier. One of the latest flights I'm seeing now still slated to operate is UA4633 AMA-DEN at 0830 CDT.

drdisque

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:23 pm

Found a later one: UA 4755 operates DIK-DEN at 0830 MDT

drdisque

Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:13 pm

LOF 4755 is now airborne and will arrive in DEN nearly the same time as LOF 4641 from SDF and LOF 4695 from SGF. Likely marking the end of Trans States Airlines scheduled operation. Only one flight left for storage (ORD-TYS) this morning. So the 10-12 aircraft that flew this morning's flights will likely depart for storage late this morning or early afternoon for CLE and TYS.

xjetflyer2001

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:19 pm

UA4695 SGF-DEN was the final revenue arrival of Trans States aircraft, arrived at B84 and was given a water canon salute before being turned around and sent to CLE as a ferry flight. I talked to the Captain on that flight after he arrived and emailed him some photos that I took of his final arrival and water canon salute, very nice guy.

I would post the photos, but I have no idea how to post photos on to this site.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos