Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet

Re: Norwegian News and Discussion Thread

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:24 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Looks like Norwegian is back in LGW doing TATL? I see they are selling LGW-BOS in September.

JFK as well (3x d), and EZE in December (5x w).
Keep calm and wash your hands.

jomur

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:28 am

Considering Norwegian said they weren't going to by flying from LGW until April 2021 at the earliest something is not quite right somewhere.

aviator2000

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:18 am

jomur wrote:
Considering Norwegian said they weren't going to by flying from LGW until April 2021 at the earliest something is not quite right somewhere.

Exactly. I really don't know what to think, where they just lying to the investors last month to get them to accept the deal? They are even selling tickets for LAX-BCN in September, without BCN being a "main" city.

Someone83

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:26 am

aviator2000 wrote:
jomur wrote:

Exactly. I really don't know what to think, where they just lying to the investors last month to get them to accept the deal? They are even selling tickets for LAX-BCN in September, without BCN being a "main" city.

They are not lying, but somehow a lot of people seems not to be able to read more than the headlines in their presentations, and not get what they actually did write.

The "not flying from LGW until Apr. 2021", was just one of the scenarios

vhtje

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:45 am

airsmiles wrote:
It’s widely known in the UK that Norwegian was almost bankrupt. Regardless of their new ownership I just can’t see how they expect the UK public to trust them again. A short haul trip booked at short notice is one thing, but a more expensive ticket booked many months ahead would be very risky for the public.

I find it utterly depressing, but time and time again the flying public have shown they care only about one thing when buying air travel: price. If DY are cheap enough, they’ll come a-running.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

airsmiles

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:15 pm

vhtje wrote:
airsmiles wrote:
It’s widely known in the UK that Norwegian was almost bankrupt. Regardless of their new ownership I just can’t see how they expect the UK public to trust them again. A short haul trip booked at short notice is one thing, but a more expensive ticket booked many months ahead would be very risky for the public.

I find it utterly depressing, but time and time again the flying public have shown they care only about one thing when buying air travel: price. If DY are cheap enough, they’ll come a-running.

While agree to a certain extent, the public had Flybe and Thomas Cook failures last year and the news was full of Norwegian’s troubles (& to some extent Virgin’s). Once the public get a whiff of trouble in their head, it’s hard to shift that perception. Only time will tell, but I think Norwegian will have a tougher time second time around.

FLALEFTY

Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:33 pm

One way for Norwegian to re-start their LGW Trans-Atlantic routes is to try to negotiate incentives from certain US markets. For instance, at MCO they are aching to have international services resume, especially the flights from LGW. DY could go to the Orlando Airport Authority and promise to resume LGW-MCO services in exchange for them waiving landing, ground handling and fuel fees at MCO for a period of say, 90 days. Provided the mandatory traveller quarantines are ended, this could be a "win-win" for DY, LGW, MCO and the Orlando tourist economy.

Kikko19

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:33 am

airsmiles wrote:
vhtje wrote:
airsmiles wrote:

While agree to a certain extent, the public had Flybe and Thomas Cook failures last year and the news was full of Norwegian’s troubles (& to some extent Virgin’s). Once the public get a whiff of trouble in their head, it’s hard to shift that perception. Only time will tell, but I think Norwegian will have a tougher time second time around.

They'll burn even more cash flying empty (others are doing it too but have more cash to burn, even government cash). Cannot see it as a good idea. IMHO would be better to start to steal the already established market, it's wild out there for a couple of years minimum.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:36 am

It's rough waters for everyone. Norweigan always seems to find people willing to loan them money though .

I almost see an opportunity for their model to work even better here with legacies so weak if someone still has faith in them. The market for ULCCs across the Atlantic isn't going down. I could see even more people wanting some space but less amenities so a larger premium economy cabin maybe they can adapt to what passengers want post Covid? More space and less amenities ? Just a thought

The ULCC across the Atlantic isn't going away someone will suck up that business even if norwegan doesn't make it.

Kikko19

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:41 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
It's rough waters for everyone. Norweigan always seems to find people willing to loan them money though .

I almost see an opportunity for their model to work even better here with legacies so weak if someone still has faith in them. The market for ULCCs across the Atlantic isn't going down. I could see even more people wanting some space but less amenities so a larger premium economy cabin maybe they can adapt to what passengers want post Covid? More space and less amenities ? Just a thought

The ULCC across the Atlantic isn't going away someone will suck up that business even if norwegan doesn't make it.

Sure but they'll have to fight with Jetblue, Wizz (all the xlr ordered?) and all legacy funded by govts. Not so much space for a company with economic troubles. I wouldn't bet a penny on them.

PatrickZ80

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:45 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

In fact, someone already does (although on a very limited scale). FrenchBee is a long haul LCC with dirt cheap flights from Paris Orly to New York (Newark) and San Francisco. Somehow I got a feeling that if Norwegian doesn't make it, FrenchBee will take it's place.

It doesn't really matter that they only fly from Paris, people from all over Europe will find a dirt cheap flight there to catch these FrenchBee flights. Orly is the home base of Transavia France and a number of other LCCs also fly to Orly.

davidjohnson6

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:25 am

Seems as if Norwegian might be going back to investors, cap in hand, to beg for some more money

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-healt ... KKBN23G1S7

tphuang

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:31 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Seems as if Norwegian might be going back to investors, cap in hand, to beg for some more money

If the debtors are willing to just accommodate all of their requests, might as well keep asking for more.

aviator2000

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:33 pm

So does anyone know what other transatlantic routes does Norwegian have on sale on/after September? It would be interesting to know if they have anything in common and if they stand a chance.

davidjohnson6

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:43 pm

Tickets are bookable on the Norwegian website from London Gatwick to the following transatlantic destinations
Flights beginning 01 Sep - Austin, Boston, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, New York (JFK), Orlando, San Francisco, Tampa
Flights beginning late October - Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro
Not bookable - Chicago, Seattle

As mentioned before, I am not convinced all these routes will be open by the dates mentioned above

LJ

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:35 pm

tphuang wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

If the debtors are willing to just accommodate all of their requests, might as well keep asking for more.

The debtors (current shareholders) haven't put money into the airline, they've converted their debt into equity. The leasing companies will probably not inject additional cash as it's not their business model. The same applies to the bondholders which have their debt converted into shares. As such they're probably not enhusiastic as this will dillute their share and thus the value of their debt.

nordikcam

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:21 pm

LJ wrote:
tphuang wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

The debtors (current shareholders) haven't put money into the airline, they've converted their debt into equity. The leasing companies will probably not inject additional cash as it's not their business model. The same applies to the bondholders which have their debt converted into shares. As such they're probably not enhusiastic as this will dillute their share and thus the value of their debt.

I would not put a penny in the purchase of a Norwegian plane ticket in the near future ... I have no desire, flying AF, but it is certainly very risky.

davidjohnson6

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Not very surprising, but Norwegian seem to have removed from sale almost all their short haul routes between London Gatwick and the Mediterranean

bluefltspecial

Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:11 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Tickets are bookable on the Norwegian website from London Gatwick to the following transatlantic destinations
Flights beginning 01 Sep - Austin, Boston, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, New York (JFK), Orlando, San Francisco, Tampa
Flights beginning late October - Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro
Not bookable - Chicago, Seattle

As mentioned before, I am not convinced all these routes will be open by the dates mentioned above

I took a quick look at JFK, since it has historically had the most diverse list of destinations from the US. The schedule loaded is different than pre-covid, and might be an actual plan to fly in Sept/Oct. The majority of flights were daily from JFK, this has now changed. Routes like BCN and FCO have their lowest fares maxed out indicating they are likely a placeholder for slots or aircraft rotations, and may not actually operate.

JFK-AMS 4x weekly
JFK-ATH noop
JFK-BCN 3x weekly (full fare)
JFK-CDG 6x weekly
JFK-FCO 5x weekly (full fare)
JFK-LGW 18x weekly
JFK-OSL 4x weekly

My guess is that with the leaseholders now also being partial company owners they're making it a requirement that the airline make money with the aircraft rather than letting them sit. Just a guess though. They're certainly being much more conservative which is good to see.

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Not very surprising, but Norwegian seem to have removed from sale almost all their short-haul routes between London Gatwick and the Mediterranean

I took a quick look and in September only Scandi cities were loaded, then in October Spain is loaded. No other different cities after that. The schedule goes until the end of March. I'm curious if this will change as the market returns throughout Europe.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

a350lover

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:11 pm

Anyone knows what are the figures of crews in Norway? They are operating a fleet of 8 planes at the moment, which I guess could mean around 250 cabin crews active there. They are selling most of the routes Scandi-Spain as soon as July 2020 but even if they hoped to operate these flights only with local crews from Norway I don't think they could possibly handle all that under just 8 planes and 250 crews.

Someone83

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:16 pm

a350lover wrote:
Anyone knows what are the figures of crews in Norway? They are operating a fleet of 8 planes at the moment, which I guess could mean around 250 cabin crews active there. They are selling most of the routes Scandi-Spain as soon as July 2020 but even if they hoped to operate these flights only with local crews from Norway I don't think they could possibly handle all that under just 8 planes and 250 crews.

The crews here in Norway are mostly on furlough and can quickly be recalled. The same applies to the aircraft, that just need a check before they can go back into service. So it is easy for them to quickly expand their Norwegian operations. It is harder in other countries, where staff has been sacked

a350lover

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:21 pm

And when do you see them expading towards international operations? Even if that means just the typical pairs of OSL-ARN/OSL-CPH? Is there any forecast for that? What happened to the quarantine imposed by the Norwegian authorities for international travelers arriving in Norway?

Someone83

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:26 pm

a350lover wrote:
What happened to the quarantine imposed by the Norwegian authorities for international travelers arriving in Norway?

That is still in place, except for travelleres from the Nordics, excluding leisure travelleres from Sweden. Which off course, significantly reduces the international traffic to/from Norway

a350lover

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:27 pm

Someone83 wrote:
a350lover wrote:
What happened to the quarantine imposed by the Norwegian authorities for international travelers arriving in Norway?

That is still in place, except for travelleres from the Nordics, excluding leisure travelleres from Sweden. Which off course, significantly reduces the international traffic to/from Norway

Any chance they drop that measure for the benefit of the summer season?

Someone83

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:03 am

a350lover wrote:
Any chance they drop that measure for the benefit of the summer season?

Yes, but it all depends on the Covid19 situation. Denmark, Finland and Iceland was just opened, as the first countries. And we probably see a gradually opening over the Summer, but don't expect this to happen until well into July. The Norwegian School Summer Holiday, which is the main holiday period runs from June 22 to August 16

a350lover

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:24 pm

Norwegian has announced earlier today they plan to realease thieir summer schedule for S20 on Wednesday with “direct routes from Norway, Sweden and Denmark”, which I assume will head South to Greece/Spain and some other typical holiday spots for Scandinavians.

Let’s stay tuned

minilinde

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:09 am

a350lover wrote:
Norwegian has announced earlier today they plan to realease thieir summer schedule for S20 on Wednesday with “direct routes from Norway, Sweden and Denmark”, which I assume will head South to Greece/Spain and some other typical holiday spots for Scandinavians.

Let’s stay tuned

Probably also some intra-Scandinavian routes and I expect OSL/ARN/CPH-LGW also. They have confirmed CPH-AAL as well
Types flown: A220, A318, A319, A320, A321, A32N, A333, A343, A359, A380, AT42, AT72, B717, B733, B735, B736, B737, B738, B739, B744, B748, B763, B772, B773, B788, B789, C550, CRJ2, CRJ9, DH4D, F50, ERJ190, MD80s/90, RJ100

Someone83

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:55 am

Norwegian in increasing their active fleet from 8 to 20 aircraft from July 1.

Several routes has been announced restarted, mainly international routes from OSL, but also some from ARN and CPH, as well as both Danish and Swedish domestic

Blerg

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:52 am

Someone83 wrote:
Norwegian in increasing their active fleet from 8 to 20 aircraft from July 1.

Several routes has been announced restarted, mainly international routes from OSL, but also some from ARN and CPH, as well as both Danish and Swedish domestic

Interesting, do you know which planes they are activating? Are they all B738s?

Someone83

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:43 am

Blerg wrote:

Yes, only 737-800s.

Norwegian has today said they do not know when they will restart longhaul

Blerg

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:59 am

Someone83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Yes, only 737-800s.

Norwegian has today said they do not know when they will restart longhaul

So the timetable they have right now (short-haul) is their final one? Or will be it published today during the day?They said by Wednesday which is today.

a350lover

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:13 am

So I assume some of these flights are going to be "based" in CPH/ARN or do you see overnights there with OSL crews?
I see here in Spain it's all to OSL/ARN/CPH with the exception of ALC-BGO. Any other base (in Norway or Sweden/Denmark) to be reopened other than OSL which never closed? How big was OSL (in planes) before COVID19?

Someone83

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Norwegian in converting more debt to equity.

- 417 million NOK in vendor debt
- $4,4 million from a convertible bond
- $16,6 million additional convertion of leasing debt

This equal to about $65 millions

lesfalls

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Seems that they will be focusing on Hub and Spoke for their long-haul ops, serving unserved European LH traffic and enabling connections with partners at other long haul destinations that they serve:

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ul-hub-ops

Wonder what that means will happen to their BCN ops. Could they make their three main hubs OSL, LGW and BCN or solely OSL and LGW which it looks like as of now?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

GLANKG

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:42 pm

Hub and Spoke long haul makes sense, they certainly learnt it the hard way. BCN could be a decent gateway if they are to continue south American venture, if only they had some feeder there. At post Covid LGW they could probably do a lot more with newly available and better slots, the market is there, VS won't be. And OSL is always the home fortress, long term goal should aim some sort of low cost version of AY at HEL, location is there, at least for northern Europe.

skipness1E

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Hub and spoke needs a critical mass of traffic to pay for the higher costs. This was the thinking behind building and building at LGW albeit at a loss. They’re going to be starting again from scratch and hoping to make money using the same flawed formula. Hub and spoke loco long haul doesn’t work in a boom and yet somehow 2022 will be the year it does?

Ishrion

Norwegian Air Cancels Orders For 92 737 MAXs and 5 787s

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 pm

Norwegian Air has cancelled its orders for 92 737 MAX 8s and five Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners. I believe this represents a cancellation of all remaining Boeing orders?

Norwegian also seeks compensation for the MAX groundings.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/06 ... oeing.html

Perfect timing. First MAX certification flight today and they cancelled all orders.

I believe someone just made a topic but it was deleted since it was just a link?
Last edited by Ishrion on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dominion301

Re: Norwegian Air Cancels Orders For 92 737 MAXs and 5 787s

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:32 pm

Great time to bail, especially on the MAX. They probably can dump those with no penalty. Not getting many MAXes might help with Norwegian's survival. How many cancelled MAXes is that now cumulatively? Must be at least 300.

Cointrin330

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 pm

Not at all surprising. Just my opinion, but DY isn't going to survive as a stand alone carrier.

FlyHappy

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 pm

It's only surprising that it's taken this long for Norwegian to cancel, given their situation.
It's doubly surprising that "only" 300ish MAX's have been cancelled, overall.

PepeTheFrog

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 pm

So why did they not cancel the A321LR order?
Good moaning!

qf789

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:54 pm

Just a reminder to keep your posts on topic and to leave the flamebait out of the discussion
Forum Moderator

Bricktop

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:00 pm

This is an incredible shock.

Said no a.netter ever.

Ishrion

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Just clarifying... these were Norwegian’s remaining Boeing orders? So now they only have 20 A321LRs on order?

Also this is the largest single cancellation for the MAX? I believe this beats Avolon’s cancellation of 75 MAXs?

chiad

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:22 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Just clarifying... these were Norwegian’s remaining Boeing orders? So now they only have 20 A321LRs on order?

Also this is the largest single cancellation for the MAX? I believe this beats Avolon’s cancellation of 75 MAXs?

Isn't it 30 A321LRs?

I also wonder what will happen to the 18 MAX that's already been delivered.

jfk777

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Norwegian's orders are "shaky" at best, this is a bankrupt airline with huge debt levels expanding on the Atlantic from multiple European cities to the USA. Did they think BA, AA, Virgin, and United wouldn't notice their red Dreamliners ? They are ambitious, will we see them at JFK or LAX again?

Insertnamehere

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:32 pm

Norwegian is suffering the worst from Americans not being able to travel to Europe and vice versa. Their bread and butter was flights like JFK-LGW and MCO-LGW. Now? Their survival during the crucial summer season for European airlines they are just going to hope some venture capital firm buys them up and doesn't gut them too badly.

dstblj52

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:35 pm

Insertnamehere wrote:
Norwegian is suffering the worst from Americans not being able to travel to Europe and vice versa. Their bread and butter was flights like JFK-LGW and MCO-LGW. Now? Their survival during the crucial summer season for European airlines they are just going to hope some venture capital firm buys them up and doesn't gut them too badly.

Agreed unfortunately I suspect that their key problem was buying a fleet of all new expensive aircraft I think the way a transatlantic LCC succeeds is that it buys cheap used aircraft and flies them very lightly all winter and focuses purely on the profitable summer ops.

madpropsyo

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:38 pm

Does anyone know what even remains of Norwegian at this point? They were essentially sold off to their leasing companies, but which parts of the business was that? Argentina is gone, most of long haul staff was laid off. What's left? The organization was so fragmented it's difficult to keep track of what is what.

Insertnamehere

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:39 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
Insertnamehere wrote:

Agreed unfortunately I suspect that their key problem was buying a fleet of all new expensive aircraft I think the way a transatlantic LCC succeeds is that it buys cheap used aircraft and flies them very lightly all winter and focuses purely on the profitable summer ops.

They just never let markets mature and build up enough. They had a good product and were well liked by their travelers. I flew them a few times doing JFK-LGW and they were nice for the quick hop across the Atlantic. What they didn't do was try to fortify any positions like you see with other LCCs in Europe or in the US. Could this be done on long haul travel? We might never know, but Norwegian needs a completely new leadership structure brought in. MAX flying or 787 flying would be great but if its done smart, not opening bases across Europe while barely holding enough market share to be noteworthy but instead a bug to squash as a symbol to others by the US3 or the European big 3 groups.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos