Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

American Airlines And Qatar Airways Sign Codeshare Partnership + AA Exploring DOH Flights

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:07 pm

LOL, Getting back together. First reversing the Alaska partnership cuts and now this.

Notably, American's interested in Doha service?

Following restoration of the codeshare, American will begin exploring the addition of service from the U.S. to Doha.

(Seattle?)

Codeshare coverage:

American will place its code on select Qatar Airways nonstop and connecting services to and from the U.S. and Qatar Airways' hub in Doha, allowing American’s customers to access new destinations in the Middle East, East Africa, South Asia and South East Asia that are not currently served by American. Qatar Airways will place its code on select flights beyond American’s hubs in Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD), New York (JFK), Philadelphia (PHL), Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX), as well as on American’s international flights to and from Europe, the Caribbean, Central America and South America.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx
Last edited by Ishrion on Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gatibosgru

Re: American Airlines And Qatar Airways Sign Codeshare Partnership + AA Exploring DOH Flights

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Well well...
@DadCelo

tphuang

Re: American Airlines And Qatar Airways Sign Codeshare Partnership + AA Exploring DOH Flights

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:19 pm

I'm not sure why they would explore flying to DOH. It really doesn't have that much demand.

MCTSET

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:22 pm

This may possibly lead to QR remaining as a one world member, only problem now is Qantas.

jfk777

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:25 pm

AA has better uses for two 787-9 than sending them all the way to Doha. AA is better to feed Qatar at their hubs plus London Heathrow and other European gateways.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:25 pm

tphuang wrote:
I'm not sure why they would explore flying to DOH. It really doesn't have that much demand.

Connectivity with Qatar's massive network.

chepos

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:26 pm

Hopefully this leads to the end of that silly US3 against the ME3 war and vice versa. What ever happened to the rumored UA/EY partnership?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

xwb777

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:30 pm

Up next: Delta and Emirates or United & Etihad? It will be fun to watch.

MIflyer12

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Ishrion wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Connectivity with Qatar's massive network.

Connectivity to where that AA and partners don't already go, over routings that are distance-efficient, with meaningful PDEWs from the U.S.?

flyingisthebest

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Could we see DOH - SEA or SFO happen now?

Varsity1

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:02 pm

QR is probably the silliest me3 partner given their hub. AA should have went with EK, much more commercially viable airline and hub city.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:08 pm

Some more details: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... ssion=true

The AA/QR talks began at the Oneworld meeting in December 2019.

LAXdude1023

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:12 pm

Interestingly enough, another added benefit is that QR is DL's most hated airline.

Revenge on DL for LATAM continues?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

onwFan

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:13 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
QR is probably the silliest me3 partner given their hub. AA should have went with EK, much more commercially viable airline and hub city.

It was openly mentioned that oneworld had first contacted EK for membership. EK wanted to codeshare with AA without committing to oneworld. QR was ready to join and they went ahead. That being said, QR flies to more unique destinations than EK, opening up more options for FFs.

Back to the point, I think what changed was the collapse of Air Italy. Will this also lead to an AA codeshare with Indigo?

adamh8297

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:15 pm

flyingisthebest wrote:

Double Daily DFW-DOH between the two carriers wouldn't shock me either.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

CALMSP

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:16 pm

flyingisthebest wrote:

SEA possibly......SFO, probably not. But also, I wonder if CLT would come on board. that is the remaining AA hub that is currently not connected with DOH.

cathay747

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:23 pm

CALMSP wrote:
flyingisthebest wrote:

SEA possibly......SFO, probably not. But also, I wonder if CLT would come on board. that is the remaining AA hub that is currently not connected with DOH.

You forgot PHX, but that ain't gonna happen as much as we here in PHX would love it!

Too bad QR already serves all AA hubs, as I can't see enough of a market for AA to start using it's own metal on an existing route and thus bump up freq. on said route to 2x daily with AA + QR...unless QR swaps a route with AA freeing up a couple aircraft for QR. Hmmm. And it's about time they kissed and made up and that AA gets off the ridiculous bandwagon of the "war" with the ME3 as this is so beneficial commercially for AA in particular!
Try a Little VC-10derness

Dieuwer

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:27 pm

AA has been on a roll lately...

dtw2hyd

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Wow, AA is ready to do anything get back in the game. While at it AA, can you connect the a.net forbidden airport to LHR?
All posts are just opinions.

Cointrin330

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:31 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
flyingisthebest wrote:

Who in their right mind would fly AA over QR on any flight to DOH?

onwFan

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
flyingisthebest wrote:

Who in their right mind would fly AA over QR on any flight to DOH?

[url][/url]

People who are looking for the cheapest option.

chunhimlai

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:49 pm

What do AA leadership smoke recently?

enilria

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:52 pm

onwFan wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

It was openly mentioned that oneworld had first contacted EK for membership. EK wanted to codeshare with AA without committing to oneworld. QR was ready to join and they went ahead. That being said, QR flies to more unique destinations than EK, opening up more options for FFs.

Back to the point, I think what changed was the collapse of Air Italy. Will this also lead to an AA codeshare with Indigo?

Nail on head.

I actually wonder if QR let Air Italy collapse to allow this to happen. The U.S. carriers had explicitly asked QR to stop their financial support of Air Italy. They stopped. Air Italy shut down.

Adipocere

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:59 pm

Couple of questions spring to mind:

1. Does this require regulatory approvals in US, EU or other jurisdictions (India?). Can this fall through like the LATAM tie up due to some obscure regulatory agency holding their nose?
2. How will BA react if this threatens their feed to the Indian subcontinent? Will they flex and withdraw from the JV or even think of moving out of OW?

dtw2hyd

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:03 pm

Adipocere wrote:
2. How will BA react if this threatens their feed to the Indian subcontinent?

BA always competes by withdrawing. What is it going to do, cut the Mini Mars?

Breathe

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:04 pm

Talk about out of the blue!

I wonder if this lead to QR attempting to make an investment in AA again. Good news for AA & QR FF and OneWorld alliance members.

YYZORD

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:06 pm

Maybe AA will replace QR's flights to PHL? It's considered the worst performing US route I think so AA could use a 787 which has less capacity.

Byrdluvs747

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:08 pm

I forgot. Does the TATL JV with BA include US originating flights to Africa/ME or just TATL flights to Europe?

onwFan wrote:
Back to the point, I think what changed was the collapse of Air Italy.

Sadly, this is true. I think Air Italy could have been an asset to OW if better managed(i.e. IAG as opposed to QR)

onwFan wrote:
Will this also lead to an AA codeshare with Indigo?

I would rather see AA follow BA's lead and partner with Vistara.

chunhimlai wrote:
What do AA leadership smoke recently?

Fire. As in the fire that was lit under Parker's a$$ by the BoD.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

J343

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:12 pm

This is great news for AA-QR. Perhaps this is AA's strategy to access the Indian Subcontinent and Eastern Africa? QR does indeed serve all AA hubs but I wonder if a DFW/JFK/MIA-DOH on their B789s and feed it through QR network. AA has historically been the least vocal of the US3 against the ME3. There were talks of UA and EY codesharing given that LH and EY started cosying up recently. It'll be interesting to see where this leaves DL- the most vocal against the ME3.

CALMSP

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:13 pm

YYZORD wrote:
Maybe AA will replace QR's flights to PHL? It's considered the worst performing US route I think so AA could use a 787 which has less capacity.

its only a difference of maybe 50 seats and I don't think Qatar is really in the business of pulling out of routes. And I'd imagine the cost of AA operating a route instead of QR is so much higher its not even considered.

YYZORD

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:15 pm

Does anyone have the bilateral air transport agreements between Qatar and US? Is QR at their max flights to the US?

Detroit313

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:18 pm

Doug is not playing!

PHLspecial

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:20 pm

YYZORD wrote:

With what data? QR have 787 to use if this route is performing horribly on the 350. I don't understand why they use the 77W during the summer at PHL

cathay747

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Byrdluvs747 wrote:
I forgot. Does the TATL JV with BA include US originating flights to Africa/ME or just TATL flights to Europe?

onwFan wrote:
Will this also lead to an AA codeshare with Indigo?

I would rather see AA follow BA's lead and partner with Vistara.

Yes it does, India too...GDS schedules show AA code-sharing on BA flights to NBO, MCT and DEL, so I presume that means it's part of the JV and not just a code-share.

And I heartily agree about domestic India...why code-share with a LCC when Vistara is there and BA is already in bed with them?
Last edited by cathay747 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtw2hyd

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:25 pm

YYZORD wrote:
Does anyone have the bilateral air transport agreements between Qatar and US? Is QR at their max flights to the US?

It is OpenSkies, there is no limit.

AA can never match QR's service quality. The best option for AA is to let QR start more routes and AA to provide last-mile connectivity and collect the pass-thru. Win-win.

MARSHAL1

Damn, it seems that ever since DL took Latam Chile, Latam Brasil, Latam Colombia, Latam Ecuador, Latam Argentina & Latam Peru that AA management has woken up. AA/AS deal in the Northwest, QR codeshare, Labor contracts signed, expansion in LHR, BOS, SEA, MIA and a future flight to DOH. I guess instead of being upset with DL they need to thank DL for helping to wake them up.

chepos

Adipocere wrote:
Couple of questions spring to mind:

1. Does this require regulatory approvals in US, EU or other jurisdictions (India?). Can this fall through like the LATAM tie up due to some obscure regulatory agency holding their nose?
2. How will BA react if this threatens their feed to the Indian subcontinent? Will they flex and withdraw from the JV or even think of moving out of OW?

1.) AA/QR are proposing a codeshare, not a JV. They codeshared in the past, so doubtful it gets turned down.

2.) QR/BA are chummy themselves as QR has invested in IAG. Doubtful BA gets pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

raylee67

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:26 pm

Seems that AA wakes up after DL steals LATAM from it. It's probably too much to bear after that point. I would hope AA looks at its partnership with JL and really strengthen it. It lags far behind UA/NH.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

cathay747

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:26 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

AA can never match QR's service quality. The best option for AA is to let QR start more routes and AA to provide last-mile connectivity and collect the pass-thru. Win-win.

Correct on point #1, and I agree with your 2nd point totally.

YYZORD

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:29 pm

If its open skies, then why are they not adding anymore US routes?

cathay747 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Correct on point #1, and I agree with your 2nd point totally.

LHRFlyer

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:33 pm

Doubt BA is going to be annoyed by this, let alone consider ending the AA JV or leaving Oneworld.

QR owns 25% of IAG and QR already had extensive co-operation with BA.

There’s already huge competition on US-India routes and BA offers many one-stop options to the US from India.

It’s probably more welcome that two of their major partners are now co-operating rather than QR threatening to leave Oneworld.

KAUSavgeek

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:38 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

this is like comparing DFW to IAH...

dtw2hyd

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:38 pm

YYZORD wrote:
If its open skies, then why are they not adding anymore US routes?

Lack of feed makes the routes long and thin, totally O&D dependent and less viable. With AA in the bed, more routes become viable.

Detroit313

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:40 pm

How much would Qatar be allowed to own of AA under US law? They should try again to buy 10% or 20% of AA. AA shouldn't say no to the money.

Bigant0408

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:47 pm

YYZORD wrote:

The first few years of QR flight to/from PHL it was considered one of the worst performing mostly because of the departure times in the morning from PHL where load factors at times were in the 50-60s. When they switched to night departures the load factors increased dramatically which I feel made a big difference. I think the route is doing fine now since this will be the second summer in a row of them using a 777-300 instead of the 350.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

Varsity1

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:51 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
How much would Qatar be allowed to own of AA under US law? They should try again to buy 10% or 20% of AA. AA shouldn't say no to the money.

AA doesn't get the money, the stock holders do.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

xwb777

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:54 pm

I have a feeling that AA and UA were like obliged to follow DL in its campaign against ME3.
What happened to the campaign that Qatar and the other ME2 were affecting and destroying the jobs in the US.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Corpsnerd09

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:04 pm

From their employee release:

"While we offer 6,800 flights daily to 365 destinations in 61 countries, there are still a number of opportunities to expand our network, particularly in East Africa, the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East."

Interesting wording... Just like tapping into Eastern Europe lately, maybe a future strategy to come?

proudavgeek

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:05 pm

American will place its code on select Qatar Airways nonstop and connecting services to and from the U.S. and Qatar Airways' hub in Doha, allowing American’s customers to access new destinations in the Middle East, East Africa, South Asia and South East Asia that are not currently served by American. Qatar Airways will place its code on select flights beyond American’s hubs in Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Chicago (ORD), New York (JFK), Philadelphia (PHL), Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX), as well as on American’s international flights to and from Europe, the Caribbean, Central America and South America.

Haha.. so much for the ME3 bashing that AA/DL/UA used to do... Now that AA has been under-performing and Doug Parker's A$$ is on fire, he suddenly finds value in Qatar partnership... Talk about hunter being hunted now...

In fairness, I think, there is definitely value in US3-ME3 partnership or a JV, think about how many more code-sharing can be done. DL from ATL to AMD via Emirates, UA from Chicago to KWI via Etihad, AA from PHL to Dhaka via Qatar.. and so on...

EA CO AS

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:25 pm

Vasu is starting to break out of his shell and/or gotten fresh license to use all the toys in his sandbox. It’s exciting.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos