Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TonyBurr

Re: American Airlines And Qatar Airways Sign Codeshare Partnership + AA Exploring DOH Flights

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:51 am

YYZORD wrote:
Maybe AA will replace QR's flights to PHL? It's considered the worst performing US route I think so AA could use a 787 which has less capacity.

How bad is PHL for QR? I have flown from PHL on QR a few times and never had a packed plane, but J was pretty good. I would really miss QR. Fantastic product, far superior to AA.

Re: American Airlines And Qatar Airways Sign Codeshare Partnership + AA Exploring DOH Flights

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:57 am

J343 wrote:
SQ789 wrote:
J343 wrote:
This is great news for AA-QR. Perhaps this is AA's strategy to access the Indian Subcontinent and Eastern Africa? QR does indeed serve all AA hubs but I wonder if a DFW/JFK/MIA-DOH on their B789s and feed it through QR network. AA has historically been the least vocal of the US3 against the ME3. There were talks of UA and EY codesharing given that LH and EY started cosying up recently. It'll be interesting to see where this leaves DL- the most vocal against the ME3.

DL cound be left only with EK next after AA-QR and UA-EY (The UA-EY deal is still not yet finalized and confirmed).

What are the chances of DL teaming up with EK. DL is by far the most vocal of the US3 against the ME3. If I remember correctly, there was even a video of it with DL employees. DL will have MEA and Saudia as both are SkyTeam Alliance members but given the recent statement of DL regarding alliances, it might not happen at all.

Did DL codeshare with MEA and SV?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Bigant0408

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:05 am

[twoid][/twoid]
TonyBurr wrote:
YYZORD wrote:
Maybe AA will replace QR's flights to PHL? It's considered the worst performing US route I think so AA could use a 787 which has less capacity.

How bad is PHL for QR? I have flown from PHL on QR a few times and never had a packed plane, but J was pretty good. I would really miss QR. Fantastic product, far superior to AA.

PHL is not as bad now as it once was the first few years when QR started the route. They’re bringing back the 777-300 for the summer season again. How long ago did you fly the route?
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

onwFan

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:24 am

SQ789 wrote:
J343 wrote:
SQ789 wrote:
DL cound be left only with EK next after AA-QR and UA-EY (The UA-EY deal is still not yet finalized and confirmed).

What are the chances of DL teaming up with EK. DL is by far the most vocal of the US3 against the ME3. If I remember correctly, there was even a video of it with DL employees. DL will have MEA and Saudia as both are SkyTeam Alliance members but given the recent statement of DL regarding alliances, it might not happen at all.

Did DL codeshare with MEA and SV?

The last mention of Saudia by DL was a clarification that they do not intend to codeshare with them: https://news.delta.com/delta-issues-sta ... n-airlines

Other than that, there must have been a mention of Saudia when they were downgraded to a 4th or 5th tier partner? I doubt anything has changed since. As for MEA, I doubt if DL even knows that they are in SkyTeam :-P

Detroit313

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:24 am

Doha on AA will be from Seattle. They just couldn't say anything yet because they're waiting for Alaska to end its partnership with Emirates.

Blerg

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 am

tphuang wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I'm not sure why they would explore flying to DOH. It really doesn't have that much demand.

CONNECTIONS

Double connections through clt or phl is not exactly a profitable market.

Well it all depends on what markets they are after, both CLT and PHL have many flights to secondary markets, same as DOH, so they could charge a higher fare than they would to a larger market with more options/competition. For example offering flights to secondary markets in India, Iran and so on.

bluecrew

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:41 am

Detroit313 wrote:
Doha on AA will be from Seattle. They just couldn't say anything yet because they're waiting for Alaska to end its partnership with Emirates.

The GC distance is 7,411 which is less than SEA-BLR. Payload restrictions though... how profitable will it be to fly with limited/no feed to a city that you're banking on connecting traffic mostly, not O&D?
Not Seattle. Maybe JFK.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:01 am

bluecrew wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

The GC distance is 7,411 which is less than SEA-BLR. Payload restrictions though... how profitable will it be to fly with limited/no feed to a city that you're banking on connecting traffic mostly, not O&D?
Not Seattle. Maybe JFK.

Why would there be restrictions? SEA-DOH is shorter than LAX-SYD.

A 789 could easily fly the route.

9w748capt

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:05 am

[list=][/list]
tphuang wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I'm not sure why they would explore flying to DOH. It really doesn't have that much demand.

CONNECTIONS

Are you joking? You really think that's all this is about?

tphuang

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:49 pm

9w748capt wrote:
[list=][/list]
tphuang wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

CONNECTIONS

enlighten me.
We already established there is no demand to DOH outside the market that already receive QR service. So it would have to rely on connections, connections that it would have to battle against not just QR themselves, but all the other airlines around the world. Anything from QR to southeast or east part of Asia is the lowest yielding flights imaginable. All the major large markets from America already has one-stop service to South Asia and Africa via the ME3 or one of the European carriers. Double connects have even more cost associated and have more competition.

So if you launch a flight like PHL-DOH, what are the high margin opportunities here? All these small town in america to India double connect would have battle small town to JFK/BOS/DTW/PHL/ORD/CLT/ATL-Europe/ME3-India.

Blerg

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:16 am

tphuang wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
[list=][/list]
tphuang wrote:

enlighten me.
We already established there is no demand to DOH outside the market that already receive QR service. So it would have to rely on connections, connections that it would have to battle against not just QR themselves, but all the other airlines around the world. Anything from QR to southeast or east part of Asia is the lowest yielding flights imaginable. All the major large markets from America already has one-stop service to South Asia and Africa via the ME3 or one of the European carriers. Double connects have even more cost associated and have more competition.

So if you launch a flight like PHL-DOH, what are the high margin opportunities here? All these small town in america to India double connect would have battle small town to JFK/BOS/DTW/PHL/ORD/CLT/ATL-Europe/ME3-India.

But isn't that the case with Europe as well? I mean all connections United offers via LH in MUC or FRA is probably already offered by other airlines in other hubs. They make Europe work so I am sure they will make Doha work as well, the market is definitely there. There are things that make this partnership viable and Qatar is a good airline to fly on.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 12:41 pm

Partnership still going through. Codeshare set to resume in June.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2020/

AEROFAN

Thu May 07, 2020 1:26 pm

onwFan wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

Double Daily DFW-DOH between the two carriers wouldn't shock me either.

Who in their right mind would fly AA over QR on any flight to DOH?

[url][/url]

People who are looking for the cheapest option.

Still shouldn't fly AA's metal. Just purchase the cheaper fare option on AA and make sure to select a flight operated by QR. Just what I did to fly to Doha late last year. AA was the marketing carrier and sold ticket. Routing was JFK-MAD-Doha all in J. Flights experiences were night and day difference. AA's J was little better than economy while QR's J was superb. A material difference was noted.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Official codeshare launch announcement: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/press-r ... share.html

Notably, American’s plans for potential Doha flights haven’t been shelved yet.

Both airlines will also continue exploring the opportunity for American Airlines to operate flights between the U.S. and Qatar, along with a number of joint commercial and operational initiatives to further strengthen this renewed partnership.

Detroit313

Tue May 19, 2020 2:35 pm

I wonder if Qatar is going to try again to acquire a stake in American Airlines like they tried to do in 2017.

They seem to love having stakes in oneworld carriers.

Prost

Tue May 19, 2020 2:40 pm

Heck, I imagine a US carrier can be purchased with change found in a Qatari sofa cushion at this point.

I wish them all well, however they choose to proceed

ShinyAndChrome

Tue May 19, 2020 2:43 pm

Prost wrote:
Heck, I imagine a US carrier can be purchased with change found in a Qatari sofa cushion at this point.

I wish them all well, however they choose to proceed

It's not as though Qatar (the airline or the country) has gotten out of this unscathed. I doubt there's much appetite for big ticket purchases anywhere in the Gulf right now.

chonetsao

Tue May 19, 2020 2:50 pm

ShinyAndChrome wrote:
It's not as though Qatar (the airline or the country) has gotten out of this unscathed. I doubt there's much appetite for big ticket purchases anywhere in the Gulf right now.

Qatar is actually in a unique situation. Its energy export is more in natural gas than oil. So it is relatively less scathed compare to its ME counterparts. Plus its sovereign funds is fairly steady comparatively speaking. Based on that I would not discount the possibility of Qatar comes up with fund to support QR and its long term investments decisions.

That being said, one had to note that Qatar has the burden of Soccer World Cup 2022 ahead. It would be unwise to invest in AA unless they know for sure such investment would be ultra safe (i.e. they should make sure AA won't declare CH-11 any time soon before they invest).

ShinyAndChrome

Tue May 19, 2020 4:09 pm

chonetsao wrote:
ShinyAndChrome wrote:

Qatar is actually in a unique situation. Its energy export is more in natural gas than oil. So it is relatively less scathed compare to its ME counterparts. Plus its sovereign funds is fairly steady comparatively speaking. Based on that I would not discount the possibility of Qatar comes up with fund to support QR and its long term investments decisions.

That being said, one had to note that Qatar has the burden of Soccer World Cup 2022 ahead. It would be unwise to invest in AA unless they know for sure such investment would be ultra safe (i.e. they should make sure AA won't declare CH-11 any time soon before they invest).

With all due respect, that distinction is kind of like watching a car crash into the side of a building and then wondering which of the passengers is in the best shape. Natural gas might not be in as bad of a spot as oil, but it's still subject to everything from the crunch in storage capacity to the destruction of months of global energy demand. And any green shoots in gas pricing are only due to the gigantic production cuts that have already happened.

Qatar will obviously step in to protect its flag carrier through the course of this crisis. There will be much less appetite to finance investments in other carriers.

hohd

Tue May 19, 2020 4:23 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

I don't think Alaska will end its partnership with EK, instead it may add QR selectively for some markets (unless EK objects, but then EK does not have much choice either). Now if QR were to start flights to SEA and Alaska may hesitate to code share that flight but not if AA flies it.

FSDan

Tue May 19, 2020 9:22 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Official codeshare launch announcement: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/press-r ... share.html

Both airlines will also continue exploring the opportunity for American Airlines to operate flights between the U.S. and Qatar, along with a number of joint commercial and operational initiatives to further strengthen this renewed partnership.

How will both airlines explore the opportunity for AA to fly their own metal to Qatar when no ATI is in place? How will they get ATI in a market where there would be no competition? Unless they were to somehow get ATI in the U.S.-Qatar market, I think AA's on their own with planning any future U.S-DOH service on their own metal...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 9:34 pm

FSDan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

How will both airlines explore the opportunity for AA to fly their own metal to Qatar when no ATI is in place? How will they get ATI in a market where there would be no competition? Unless they were to somehow get ATI in the U.S.-Qatar market, I think AA's on their own with planning any future U.S-DOH service on their own metal...

Both airlines decide on where to operate AA’s flight? Such as launching AA’s own frequency from an existing Qatar Airways destination in the U.S. or launching it from a new destination like Seattle?

FSDan

Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 pm

Ishrion wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Both airlines decide on where to operate AA’s flight? Such as launching AA’s own frequency from an existing Qatar Airways destination in the U.S. or launching it from a new destination like Seattle?

My understanding is that that would be considered collusion unless the two airlines have antitrust immunity.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 11:39 pm

FSDan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
FSDan wrote:

My understanding is that that would be considered collusion unless the two airlines have antitrust immunity.

I’m not entirely sure how it works, but didn’t American and Cathay Pacific work something out a few years ago without an antitrust JV?

I think Cathay dropped one of its LAX-HKG flights so AA could launch its own flight?

FSDan

Tue May 19, 2020 11:47 pm

Ishrion wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I’m not entirely sure how it works, but didn’t American and Cathay Pacific work something out a few years ago without an antitrust JV?

I think Cathay dropped one of its LAX-HKG flights so AA could launch its own flight?

I don't think the CX reduction was coordinated with the AA add (IIRC, AA may have added their flight first, and later CX decided to reduce from >3x daily to just 3x daily, along with some frequency reductions in other U.S. markets). They certainly weren't announced as a join action, like what DL has done in the past when trading frequencies back and forth with VS.

RvA

Wed May 20, 2020 7:19 am

cathay747 wrote:
Byrdluvs747 wrote:
I forgot. Does the TATL JV with BA include US originating flights to Africa/ME or just TATL flights to Europe?

onwFan wrote:
Will this also lead to an AA codeshare with Indigo?

I would rather see AA follow BA's lead and partner with Vistara.

Yes it does, India too...GDS schedules show AA code-sharing on BA flights to NBO, MCT and DEL, so I presume that means it's part of the JV and not just a code-share.

And I heartily agree about domestic India...why code-share with a LCC when Vistara is there and BA is already in bed with them?

Codesharing doesn’t mean it’s part of the JV.

Boeing757100

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Woah, it has been over 5 years since US airlines served DOH, last being united from Dulles and Dubai I think. But still, why would they do that? Qatar already has flights from Fort Worth, Miami, and New York, even Atlanta! AA could codeshare those places!!!!!!!!

Ishrion
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:17 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
Woah, it has been over 5 years since US airlines served DOH, last being united from Dulles and Dubai I think. But still, why would they do that? Qatar already has flights from Fort Worth, Miami, and New York, even Atlanta! AA could codeshare those places!!!!!!!!

Seattle, American's new international gateway, doesn’t have a DOH flight, which could be a possibility.

AA can use Alaska’s and Qatar’s connections in the respective hubs to feed the flight.

AA was considering (but still is considering) flying to DOH pre-COVID which was when air travel demand was booming and unexpected routes were feasible, such as SEA-BLR.

Post COVID will be tricky.

incitatus

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:41 pm

Ishrion wrote:
(…)

Exactly. The future is quite uncertain for long-haul travel. Some of it will come back, but how much?

Doha is a thin market from everywhere in the US. For AA, it would only make sense to serve Doha from a city that aggregates a lot of connections. In the AA network, that is Dallas. QR's already on it? It doesn't matter. AA can fly at a different time of the day to connect different markets at each end. Will it happen? I doubt.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

MrPeanut

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:10 pm

incitatus wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
(…)

Exactly. The future is quite uncertain for long-haul travel. Some of it will come back, but how much?

Doha is a thin market from everywhere in the US. For AA, it would only make sense to serve Doha from a city that aggregates a lot of connections. In the AA network, that is Dallas. QR's already on it? It doesn't matter. AA can fly at a different time of the day to connect different markets at each end. Will it happen? I doubt.

You need to think about this in terms of onward connections, rather than Doha specifically. The large south Asian community in Seattle could make this route work well for QR.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:33 pm

MrPeanut wrote:
You need to think about this in terms of onward connections, rather than Doha specifically. The large south Asian community in Seattle could make this route work well for QR.

The South Asian community is well served by SQ’s non-stop SEA-SIN. Anyone looking to go through the ME is already well served by EK. SEA doesn’t have a market to support two ME3 carriers, which is why neither QR or EY has ever publicly expressed interest in serving it. Heck, even TK isn’t even interested in SEA.

USPIT10L

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:37 pm

Any updates on SEABLR? Haven't heard anything lately other than a suspension of the route. Are they planning on shelving the route entirely, ala PHLCMN?
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

acavpics

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:00 am

USPIT10L wrote:
Any updates on SEABLR? Haven't heard anything lately other than a suspension of the route. Are they planning on shelving the route entirely, ala PHLCMN?

I wouldn't bet on hearing an announcement on SEA-BLR until at least the end of the year. Right now, their priority is to get their hubs back up and running. An ultra long haul P2P route is probably the last thing on their mind at the moment.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:21 am

USPIT10L wrote:

SEA-BLR isn’t available for booking. Last announcement in April said they’d push it back to 2021, likely October 2021, a year later.

SEA-LHR hasn’t been loaded for 2021 either, which was supposed to launch in March 2021.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos