Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smi0006
Topic Author

Air NZ launch Skynest - bunks for economy

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:44 pm

Air NZ have announced a patent for the skynest, a number of bunks for economy customers. Details are limited but images have appeared. NZ will judge if the product can be profitably be launched after the operation of its new EWR service.

Looks like a great product to me if I could book it for 3-6hrs on a long haul flight post meal service for a nap!

https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/press- ... s-to-sleep

https://youtu.be/Se6uehzy5K0

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12311716

LH658

Re: Air NZ launch Skynest - bunks for economy

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:18 pm

Booked their sky couch product in the past, and it was neat.

ikolkyo

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:21 pm

Very interesting, wonder how they will configure a 787-9 for this.

alfa164

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Looks interesting! But I didn't see any seat belts - the first necessity - and I wonder if passengers will also be assigned a seat, or will have to stay in bed throughout the flight, including taxi, takeoff, and landing?
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

x1234

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:08 pm

A private sleeping area on a wide-body is NOT new. Its already part of the crew rest on 777, 787 and A350. So previous generations are already certified. I wonder if it will be charged as time?

cosyr

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:56 pm

It is a concept that people have wanted since trains were completely replaced by planes, but it seems like they would have to charge so much extra for it, why not just buy a different class all together. Sky couches are already hundreds of dollars on top of your seat, and I doubt you'll get a discount for multiple people like the skycouch.

dtw2hyd

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:17 am

Wow, very interesting. Floor space management is going to be tricky with Sky Nest. I hope they will get it right.

Sky Couch is not a huge hit, I thought it would be a huge hit on load restricted flights. Just NZ and Air Astana tried and no one else.
All posts are just opinions.

zkojq

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:24 am

I like the idea but I hate not having a window for an enclosed space like this. Also, doesn't seem like much space to be able to sit up and eat.
First to fly the 787-9

questions

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:26 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Wow, very interesting. Floor space management is going to be tricky with Sky Nest. I hope they will get it right.

Sky Couch is not a huge hit, I thought it would be a huge hit on load restricted flights. Just NZ and Air Astana tried and no one else.

Do we know why? Difficult to sell two seats for the price of three?

dtw2hyd

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:49 am

questions wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Do we know why? Difficult to sell two seats for the price of three?

I think you missed the "load restricted" part.

If you read Indigo's commentary on A321XLR configuration and usage, they plan to configure 222 seats vs 234?? max and expect to load 190. There are 30-40 empty seats anyway. Sky Couch can bring that extra revenue.

Skynest is perfect for me. Not a fan of airline food, and being a non-alcoholic vegetarian, don't want to pay for others' filet-mignon, caviar or vintage wine or champaign by buying J.

smi0006
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:57 am

I wonder if you will book the bunks by the hour or for a couple? I don’t think this will be sold for the entire duration of the flight as it will cannibalise premium seating?

Varsity1

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:03 am

zkojq wrote:
I like the idea but I hate not having a window for an enclosed space like this. Also, doesn't seem like much space to be able to sit up and eat.

You would want to sit up and eat in there?!

I would be trying to take a nap, and highly annoyed with you. It's not a breakfast bar.

DenverTed

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:21 am

I like the concept, but I don't think this is the best configuration. When you get in a berth, you probably want it 30" above the floor. I don't think stacking bunk bed style is that great, or triple stacking is worse. Maybe if they stack but open to alternate sides.
I think there is a better way to pack people in with better privacy, this looks a little too close for comfort. I think they should go up and use space in the crown too.

hohd

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:27 am

This is common in trains in many countries (3 sleeping beds), but in a plane will still be expensive, easily $100 hour at a minimum. It is a good concept but may work only on long hauls longer than 8 hours.

alasizon

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:50 am

hohd wrote:
This is common in trains in many countries (3 sleeping beds), but in a plane will still be expensive, easily $100 hour at a minimum. It is a good concept but may work only on long hauls longer than 8 hours.

Given the majority of NZ's longhaul flights are over 8 hours, it shouldn't be a problem.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

rouelan

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Do we know where NZ plans to install Skynest ? in the cabin, in the hold, above ceiling (like crew rest) ?

jayunited

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:01 pm

rouelan wrote:
Do we know where NZ plans to install Skynest ? in the cabin, in the hold, above ceiling (like crew rest) ?

Looking at the renderings and the fact these skynest would be arrange in a bunk bed style I would say above the coach cabin is out, there simply isn't enough room to stack beds on top of each other above the coach compartment. I've seen the crew rest areas on UA's 787s 77Es (above coach) and 77Ws, you can't fit skynest above coach. This leaves only the cabin and the cargo hold.

If I were to place a bet I would say the cargo hold is where it would go. It could be something similar to what UA has installed on many of our PW engined 77Es for FA crew rest. There are a total of 6 beds in the lower level crew rest area arranged bunk bed style. By placing the skynest in the cargo hold NZ is still free to configure their cabin as they normally would. In fact the skynest could be in addition to sky couch.

The ancillary revenue potential is there, it simply comes down to getting the configuration correct and getting the price point right so that skynest does not cannibalize business class.

sabby

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:03 pm

Good concept, but if they are sold per hour/block basis, waking up the occupant and making them vacate in a timely manner would pose a challenge.

I think KLM R&D also has something similar under research.

dtw2hyd

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:18 pm

Press release says it is a 77"x23" bed, so it needs 81"(77"+4"panels)x70"(23"+23"+20" aisle+4" panels) floorspace for entire pod.

That would take 4 center rows in a 3-3-3 config.

Varsity1

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:37 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Press release says it is a 77"x23" bed, so it needs 81"(77"+4"panels)x70"(23"+23"+20" aisle+4" panels) floorspace for entire pod.

12 seats one way is easily 10-15k long haul.

You think they would be able to pull 10-15k of revenue out of this on a flight? I don't.

Boeing had a concept for this in the crown of the 747-8. Nobody ordered it.

dtw2hyd

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

12 seats one way is easily 10-15k long haul.

You think they would be able to pull 10-15k of revenue out of this on a flight? I don't.

Boeing had a concept for this in the crown of the 747-8. Nobody ordered it.

Assuming $1000 Y RT, $2000 for Skynest is not an unreasonable fare.

Problem is state-owned airlines giving away J at 2xY or 2.5xY

TEALflyer

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:17 pm

... and a bit of a Q&A on RNZ with Kerry Reeves, Air NZ Head of Aircraft Programmes:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1UwhNvyaQ

LaunchDetected

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Interesting, I think it will be installed for the future Auckland-New-York 17h40-long route.

Booking it by the hour is, I think, the only way to make it profit-making. With a clear defined "availability planning" during the flight to check if your couch is ready. You can even book it during the flight at reduced cost if there is a bed available and your back hurts due to the poor seating.
Caravelle lover

max999

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:37 pm

These bunks look really similar to what the Austrian Federal Railways already announced for their future overnight trains. https://www.nightjet.com/en/komfortkate ... jetzukunft

All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

cathay747

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:15 pm

Gotta hand it to NZ for thinking outside the box and being innovative. They're quite incredible IMHO. I think there'd be plenty of people willing to pay for this on long-hauls, especially those which are longer than 8hrs., certainly for ULH like their upcoming AKL-EWR!
Try a Little VC-10derness

hongkongflyer

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:00 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

China Airlines tried but decided to drop it 1-2 years ago.

NZ321

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:30 pm

x1234 wrote:
A private sleeping area on a wide-body is NOT new. Its already part of the crew rest on 777, 787 and A350. So previous generations are already certified. I wonder if it will be charged as time?

Of course it will be.... that is the whole point. Upsell to the economy customer who does't want to pay full premium fare. Question is, How much more? How much goes to the logistics / viability of the launch and customer demand of course. But I wish them well. It's a great innovation and why have we waited so long for such an innovation from a full service carrier? I guess the logistics and location of NZ have something to do with it. Lots of long haul flying. Anyhow... bring it on, I say.
Plane mad!

scbriml

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:36 pm

Call me sceptical, but I'll be surprised if this takes off (ha ha). Boeing tried before with Skyloft, which ended up being Skyflop.

How much do they think economy pax will be willing to pay for a couple of hours of rest in a cramped bed? How many standard seats will be lost in order to fit these and will the revenue from the Skynest outweigh the potential revenue from the lost seats?

alfa164 wrote:
Looks interesting! But I didn't see any seat belts - the first necessity - and I wonder if passengers will also be assigned a seat, or will have to stay in bed throughout the flight, including taxi, takeoff, and landing?

The idea seems to be that you rent time in the bed, to get away from your normal economy seat. They certainly won't be certified for occupation during taxi/take-off/landing.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

dtw2hyd

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:05 pm

TEALflyer wrote:
... and a bit of a Q&A on RNZ with Kerry Reeves, Air NZ Head of Aircraft Programmes:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1UwhNvyaQ

Good to hear some thoughts from someone involved in this, it raises more questions than answers.

If they are planning to charge less than Premium Economy, they are not going to make money.

Putting this on a pallet in the cargo hold and charging by the hour is probably the best option. 789 cannot carry much cargo anyway.

WayexTDI

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:07 pm

x1234 wrote:

Aren't those for the exclusive use of the crew? We're talking about passengers here, not crew.

MIflyer12

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:20 pm

NZ321 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Of course it will be.... that is the whole point. Upsell to the economy customer who does't want to pay full premium fare. Question is, How much more?

That is the question, versus the cost by unit of floor space, volume (2 or 3 tall?), and weight. Several impracticalities (noisy neighbors, narrow beds, can't be used at takeoff and landing, probably not used by a single person for the entire flight) have been noted. I would prefer a SkyCoffin myself - noise isolated and temperature-controlled for the entire flight - but I don't know how that could be safety certified!

S0Y

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:32 pm

The only way it works is on flights +11hrs. Have 2x 5hr blocks available with fixed entry/exit times. Maybe 3x3hr might also work, but I think the pax changeover process is messy and best to limit that. In any case, 3hrs is probably too short to get settled and get some sleep. You also have to allow for it being empty during take-off and landing.
Charge $100 per hour on top of the Y fare. A glance at google flights shows LAX-AKL rt at $800 with Y+ costing 3x at $2400. At $100 per hour, that would put it inbetween Y and Y+, which is fair since its only for part of the flight and does not get the other Y+ extras.

I assume they would have this area downstairs (eg. where LH have the A340 toilets), as otherwise it eats up too much regular seating to be viable.

Gasman

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:41 pm

scbriml wrote:
Call me sceptical, but I'll be surprised if this takes off

Of course. This is nothing but clickbait.

Even if the thing got past certification (unlikely) the operational problems would be massive.

- cleaning the thing in between customers
- just managing allocation would keep one crew member occupied pretty much full time
- how to allocate time when 200 people want to have a turn over a 12 hour flight - and no one is going to want the first few hours after takeoff
- crew having to police behaviour, not overstaying allocated time, the resultant air rage etc.
- a charging schedule which is fair and attractive but adequately compensates for the extra infrastructure and staffing required.

NZ know all the above of course, and if this brilliant innovative idea hasn't in fact been shelved already; I'd be very surprised.

VirginFlyer

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:17 pm

scbriml wrote:
Call me sceptical, but I'll be surprised if this takes off (ha ha). Boeing tried before with Skyloft, which ended up being Skyflop.

In fairness the Skyloft was a 747-8 product. Perhaps if more than 3 operators had ordered that type, it may have become a thing...

scbriml wrote:
The idea seems to be that you rent time in the bed, to get away from your normal economy seat. They certainly won't be certified for occupation during taxi/take-off/landing.

Indeed. The RNZ Checkpoint interview posted above by TEALflyer is worth a listen to gain some insight. The suggestion is blocks of time of 3-4 hours. Even so the bunks will require seatbelts for occupancy in flight in case of turbulence. Seat belts were specifically mentioned in the interview.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

dennisho115

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:40 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

China Airlines tried but decided to drop it 1-2 years ago.

ANA also has it on their A380s.

TWA902fly

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:05 pm

Like someone else mentioned, are NZ flights to ORD/IAH/EWR weight restricted? If so, this could be a good way to earn some extra revenue since there's seats flying empty anyways. Otherwise I'd think it would make sense to have a "lie-flat" premium economy product. Bare bones, but you can lie down, with the same service as regular economy. Configured sort of like the "domestic first class" that United has on their 777-200s, 2-4-2, maybe even skinnier seats.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

Kiwiscanfly2

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:23 pm

Potentially a clever move by Air NZ. Putting these SkyNests in the 78N serving EWR (and perhaps ORD) would, IF located in the Y cabin likely mean taking out upwards of 12 seats (3 rows of 3 seats in the centre seating section between the 2 isles). So what? Means a revenue loss of say NZ$ 1,000 (rounded November 2020 fare) one way per seat, so NZD $9,000 total before costs mitigation associated with reduced catering, airport pax charges etc.

16 hour flight with say 2 hours at each end as SkyNest closed (passengers must be in their real seats) would mean the SkyNest is available to rent for maximum of 12 hours on the flight to EWR. Take off say 2 hours for cleaning, remake between users and slightly faster flight, and availability is now 10 hours per flight. Let's also assume rental time is 2 hours to keep the math simply. So each Nest will have maximum of 5 users (10 hours / 2 hour rentals). Total 5 users x 6 Nests = maximum 30 rested (?) passengers and 60 hours usage. NZ$ 9,000 lost revenue over 60 Nest hours used = $150 per hour to recover or NZ$ 300 per 2 hour rental.

Premium Economy seats in November 2020 are NZ$ 2,300 (rounded) one way or NZ$ 1,300 more expensive for what is a marginally wider seat in a smaller cabin area, no lie flat and pretty much a Y meal service. Depending on the rules of use, these Nests might charge say NZ$ 500 for 2 hours. Fill each Nest 5 times = NZ$ 2,500 x 6 Nests = NZ$ 15,000 gross revenue. So a simple revenue lift of NZ$ 6,000 before cost mitigations.

BUT the real kicker for Air NZ might actually be they can pack in extra fuel (recall the an earlier page talking about Air NZ going to EWR and being talks with Boeing about lifting the max take off weight by 2%?). 9 pax @ say 100 kgs (my guess and maybe too low) = 900 kgs of fuel. I am assuming the weights of 12 Y seats removed and the SkyNest are the same. I doubt 900 kgs / 2,000 lbs will go far, but at cruise, maybe 15 minutes? I'm no expert so sorry if I am way off the mark.

pune

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:53 pm

It would make sense, but don't think it will happen in dense markets like from India outwards to International destinations. As a flyer, though I would desire it for sure, especially if it's long-haul or/and red-eye flight but it would depend if it at all goes past the certification stage and is ordered by customers. Esp. with coronavirus thing, air travel will be subdued at least for a quarter if not more depending if a vaccine is there against it (possible or not, don't know) or how things spread. For e.g. now we know it's in Japan and elsewhere.

Overall, if I had an option on a long flight I would definitely go for it, as it hopefully be a bit more comfortable than the seat. If they didn't have enough customers, they could also do a raffle or something on a long flight for something like $10 or something multiple times and for sure few lucky people could get to experience that. But yeah, then it would cannibalize the existing premium seating market, at least partially.

KlimaBXsst

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:07 pm

ANZ love the product, just feel timing of the release is not good.

I for one would be up for quarantining myself in one of those bunks away from the general population.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

zkncj

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:28 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

AKL-EWR on the 789s will likely need to have some Y seats blocked from sale in the current code 2 config.

So using this space for extra renvue from an product like this possiable.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos