Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

groupguy

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2020

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:20 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Thatcher wrote:
allrite wrote:
I wonder what the result of all those Qantas cancellations being turned into travel vouchers will be once passengers can travel again. Will there be a mini resurgence in travel as passengers attempt to convert them to trips? Will fare increases mean they effectively lose a lot of value? Or will Qantas be forced to convert them into full refunds?

I wonder whether the original offers to convert bookings to vouchers was good PR, or just the work of a cunning corporation.

I converted domestic JQ bookings for vouchers. Not really interested in making any trip within the required timeframe, I'll probably let the vouchers lapse. Now I'm wondering if we would have been eligible for an actual refund once the various travel bans came into place.

I had three bookings to cancel and I vouchered all of them. I did have an option for a refund but that would have incurred some loss due to the type of booking class. Vouchers have retained full booking value.

It’s a useful measure for the airlines as whilst they’re holding your money, it does assist their financial liquidity.

Rgds,
C1973
surely no airline can now offer any refunds. It's all about survival now & refunding everyone would mean running out of cash very fast.

SYDSpotter

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 am

DavidByrne wrote:
Not being negative, but realistic: I personally think that the "ramp up" of services "post-virus" that some are already postulating will be many, many months away, and that when it occurs it will be a long and slow process. I believe that we will look back on early 2020 as "peak flying" because regardless of the progress of the virus, the economic damage that will occur over the next six months will be so serious that neither companies nor individuals will have the cash available to buy air travel. And companies, in particular, will learn that videoconferencing is OK and economical, and will not go back to allowing nearly as much executive or staff travel. Many, many routes operated by QF, VA (if it survives, which is moot), NZ etc will never reopen. I strongly suspect that budget carriers like JQ and TT will effectively close their doors. The suggestion that either the 744s or the A380s will come back into the QF fleet is to my mind very unlikely. In the same vein, I doubt we will see the 77E or 77W in NZ colours after all this is over, and there have to be questions also about the 787-10.

I appreciate that there are airline staff (with whom I strongly sympathise) out there who are clinging to the hope that normality can and will be restored. So far, however, almost every dire prediction that has been made (of which many, including my own predictions, have been criticised as being too extreme) has within a matter of days turned out to be overly optimistic. Alas, I don't see this changing for a while.

So if you think that neither companies or individuals will have enough money to travel extensively as before, why do think JQ will "effectively close their doors"? If anything the post-COVID19 environment will favour those airlines with a low cost base - i.e. JQ
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

VapourTrails

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:27 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Thatcher wrote:
allrite wrote:
I wonder what the result of all those Qantas cancellations being turned into travel vouchers will be once passengers can travel again. Will there be a mini resurgence in travel as passengers attempt to convert them to trips? Will fare increases mean they effectively lose a lot of value? Or will Qantas be forced to convert them into full refunds?

I wonder whether the original offers to convert bookings to vouchers was good PR, or just the work of a cunning corporation.

I converted domestic JQ bookings for vouchers. Not really interested in making any trip within the required timeframe, I'll probably let the vouchers lapse. Now I'm wondering if we would have been eligible for an actual refund once the various travel bans came into place.

I had three bookings to cancel and I vouchered all of them. I did have an option for a refund but that would have incurred some loss due to the type of booking class. Vouchers have retained full booking value.

It’s a useful measure for the airlines as whilst they’re holding your money, it does assist their financial liquidity.

Rgds,
C1973

Has anyone cancelled and not yet received a voucher or any notification? I cancelled by starting the process through the app, but the flight is still showing as per normal there. If I search for the flight booking on the QF site now it says page can’t be found or something like this so the booking no longer exists. I can’t call them as my trip is not till next month. It seems everyone I’ve spoken to got a notification or a voucher straight away. I know these are extraordinary times and I must be patient. Just curious to know of anyone else who has had their flights drop off the system like this?

rtav

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:38 am

VapourTrails wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Thatcher wrote:

Rgds,
C1973

Has anyone cancelled and not yet received a voucher or any notification? I cancelled by starting the process through the app, but the flight is still showing as per normal there. If I search for the flight booking on the QF site now it says page can’t be found or something like this so the booking no longer exists. I can’t call them as my trip is not till next month. It seems everyone I’ve spoken to got a notification or a voucher straight away. I know these are extraordinary times and I must be patient. Just curious to know of anyone else who has had their flights drop off the system like this?

I had flights booked with QF (PER-SYD-PER) booked for April. I’ve since cancelled them, however it took about a week and a half from cancellation for the vouchers to be added to my account.

DavidByrne

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:06 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
So if you think that neither companies or individuals will have enough money to travel extensively as before, why do think JQ will "effectively close their doors"? If anything the post-COVID19 environment will favour those airlines with a low cost base - i.e. JQ

I think that flag carriers will be the priority to get state support, and that carriers like JQ will be considered expendable. If carriers are parking 80%-95% of their fleets (as most are) for a period of two, three, six months (or longer), and even then have to re-establish routes to markets that have disappeared, there will be many carriers that just won't survive. Down the line, maybe, new LCCs may emerge, but I think the airline industry may look more like the industry of the 1980s (mainly flag carriers, limited routes, sub-daily frequencies on many routes that remain, no LCCs) for some time to come. LCCs, operating already on the slimmest of margins, will probably be the first to go to the wall, (Flybe notwithstanding, and with Alitalia surely on the brink already). Realistically, how will VA survive, too? It won't be able to borrow $$$ at anything but high interest rates, and an increasingly idle fleet must already be burning a hole in its shareholders' increasingly shallow pockets.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but the optimism by many on A-net that this will somehow all sort itself out in a few months is IMO seriously misplaced. Some commentators are talking about the economic consequences being potentially worse than those in the Great Depression of the 1930s. In that sort of scenario, you ain't going to get many people flying. Even the direst predictions of just a fortnight ago are being shown to have woefully underestimated the present situation. If solid carriers like QF and NZ are needing literally billions of dollars pumped into them to ensure their survival, who is there out there who will have the $$$ to do the same for LCCs? Especially when every other investment has already gone through the floor. Just my two cents' worth.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

moa999

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:11 am

Few remaining A380 QF2s to operate LHR-DRW-DYD due to SIN transit regulations. Assume similar for QF1

tullamarine

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:47 am

DavidByrne wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:

I think that flag carriers will be the priority to get state support, and that carriers like JQ will be considered expendable. If carriers are parking 80%-95% of their fleets (as most are) for a period of two, three, six months (or longer), and even then have to re-establish routes to markets that have disappeared, there will be many carriers that just won't survive. Down the line, maybe, new LCCs may emerge, but I think the airline industry may look more like the industry of the 1980s (mainly flag carriers, limited routes, sub-daily frequencies on many routes that remain, no LCCs) for some time to come. LCCs, operating already on the slimmest of margins, will probably be the first to go to the wall, (Flybe notwithstanding, and with Alitalia surely on the brink already). Realistically, how will VA survive, too? It won't be able to borrow $$$ at anything but high interest rates, and an increasingly idle fleet must already be burning a hole in its shareholders' increasingly shallow pockets.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but the optimism by many on A-net that this will somehow all sort itself out in a few months is IMO seriously misplaced. Some commentators are talking about the economic consequences being potentially worse than those in the Great Depression of the 1930s. In that sort of scenario, you ain't going to get many people flying. Even the direst predictions of just a fortnight ago are being shown to have woefully underestimated the present situation. If solid carriers like QF and NZ are needing literally billions of dollars pumped into them to ensure their survival, who is there out there who will have the $$$ to do the same for LCCs? Especially when every other investment has already gone through the floor. Just my two cents' worth.

Australia does not have a single flag carrier like NZ and neither currently has any government ownership. Both major airlines are privately owned with VA having about 90% foreign ownership and QF 49%. It is possible that the government will inject money into one or both of these airlines and this would probably entail taking a shareholding substantially diluting the equity of existing shareholders. The government is keen to avoid a monopoly airline in the Australian market which would be incredibly profitable but at the expense of the Australian consumer.

At the moment, the government has many more worries than the aviation market but is aware of this issue and will address it. I doubt they are impressed by AJ's comments given they are very much in Team Australia mode at the moment and that is all about getting as many businesses through this crisis as possible. Talking down the employment of 9000 people isn't what they want at the moment.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

Chipmunk1973

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:52 am

VapourTrails wrote:

I got my confirmation email of the voucher(s) within 2-10 minutes. I guess the responsiveness of it is how busy the system is at the time. Also, because I’ve had so many emails from QF recently, my email provider (MS Outlook), has interpreted some as being spam so automatically moved some of them to the Junk folder. So check that too which is why I missed notifications that Hamilton Island was closing up.

Alternatively, try giving the QF call centre a go. I did have to ring them yesterday and was surprised that the wait time was down to 12 minutes and not the 1 hour 50 mins I got last week.

Cheers,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973

Chipmunk1973

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:09 am

I have to offer kudos to Qantas Hotels reservations. With the changes to flights across the globe, I had several hotel reservations that I’d been trying to cancel. The 1300 number, which apparently goes to a call centre in Manila, has been inundated with calls. I tried many times this morning to contact it and was always met with an automated message of “The number you are trying to contact is congested. Please try calling at another time”.

About 2pm this afternoon I received a call from QF Hotel Res and were able to process several refunds, in addition to escalating some forward bookings in NAN and DXB to be qualified for a refund.

Given how under the pump these people are at the moment, I thought it was exceptional that they had an opportunity to contact me to resolve my issues.

I’ve spent 25+ years in IT technical support for a vast range of industries from airlines, to mining companies, and various levels of government. 99% of the time it is a thankless role. What they did today was truly exceptional and needs a massive thanks.

Thank you,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973

eta unknown

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:14 am

tullamarine wrote:
Australia does not have a single flag carrier like NZ and neither currently has any government ownership. Both major airlines are privately owned with VA having about 90% foreign ownership and QF 49%. It is possible that the government will inject money into one or both of these airlines and this would probably entail taking a shareholding substantially diluting the equity of existing shareholders. The government is keen to avoid a monopoly airline in the Australian market which would be incredibly profitable but at the expense of the Australian consumer.
At the moment, the government has many more worries than the aviation market but is aware of this issue and will address it. I doubt they are impressed by AJ's comments given they are very much in Team Australia mode at the moment and that is all about getting as many businesses through this crisis as possible. Talking down the employment of 9000 people isn't what they want at the moment.

Given this situation, if only one carrier is left and there's a monopoly, then so be it- the Govt. may need to choose the winner due to how many other competing industries are out there requesting bail outs. Unfortunately, of the 2 airlines in contention, one is well run and the other has been a basket case getting foreign bail outs for years that continues to pay royalties to a billionaire.

747m8te

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 am

VapourTrails wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Thatcher wrote:

Rgds,
C1973

I cancelled mine and my parents USA trip to a refund on Friday (for travel in May/June), along with a credit for a domestic trip in May, I did mine online and it let me print out a confirmation, but like you I haven't received any email confirmation yet (and my flights still showing in the app too), it does say it can take seven days to process, but also said may take longer due to high demand. I will wait a week or two then get in touch with Qantas to see what is happening...no rush... I'm not going anywhere now for a while :(
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

EK413

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:23 am

DavidByrne wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:

I doubt anyone is anticipating the aviation market would return pre covid-19.

The well established markets will most likely survive, smaller scale though and as for the newly established routes I doubt will return. Yes, I mentioned in my previous post the B744 retirement would be delayed, again this was based on the revised schedule published well over a week ago, SYD-SIN-LHR ops via PER, SYD-SCL to remain on B744 whilst SYD-SFO reverts to B789. SYD-HND service is switching to A330, SYD-DFW down-gauged to B789 & not to mention MEL/BNE-SFO suspended, BNE-ORD postponed indefinitely.

A lot has changed and fair to say the QF Group network is going to be interesting if and when they resume services. QF have stated when they resume international flying key trade routes will be the first to resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

AVB

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:31 am

Anyone know what the projected flight times are for those sectors between DRW-LHR and LHR-DRW?
Last edited by AVB on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

IndianicWorld

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:42 am

EK413 wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:

I doubt anyone is anticipating the aviation market would return pre covid-19.

The well established markets will most likely survive, smaller scale though and as for the newly established routes I doubt will return. Yes, I mentioned in my previous post the B744 retirement would be delayed, again this was based on the revised schedule published well over a week ago, SYD-SIN-LHR ops via PER, SYD-SCL to remain on B744 whilst SYD-SFO reverts to B789. SYD-HND service is switching to A330, SYD-DFW down-gauged to B789 & not to mention MEL/BNE-SFO suspended, BNE-ORD postponed indefinitely.

A lot has changed and fair to say the QF Group network is going to be interesting if and when they resume services. QF have stated when they resume international flying key trade routes will be the first to resume.

It just goes to show how quickly this virus spread, given the fairly optimistic levels of service that all airlines were looking to operate even a couple of weeks back.

The pace of the spread and the subsequent shutting of borders seemed to take just about everyone by surprise, leading us into what could only really be seen as a very dark hole with no real light at the end.

Even when the initial wave goes through, the subsequent rounds of it seem to have a hard kick also. South East Asia seems to be grappling with this now, along with China also apparently also.

It’s more than likely that the next 10 years will see a very different aviation landscape, as carriers fail, others merge and are joined by new competitors trying to find their space in the market.

AVB

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:42 am

QF 787s will be the backbone of international. It will take years until we see the industry at full steam ahead. I’m not completely convinced we’ll see the A380s on scheduled and regular route for many, many months. The 3 787’s to come will be arriving just in time to build a small schedule only to increase at a slow and steady rate.

The economic conditions with which aviation was thriving won’t rebound in the near future. The industry will consist of more mergers, less flights with smaller aircraft for the foreseeable future.

It’s remarkable to watch what’s taking place in aviation right now.

IndianicWorld

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:47 am

AVB wrote:
QF 787s will be the backbone of international. It will take years until we see the industry at full steam ahead. I’m not completely convinced we’ll see the A380s on scheduled and regular route for many, many months. The 3 787’s to come will be arriving just in time to build a small schedule only to increase at a slow and steady rate.

The economic conditions with which aviation was thriving won’t rebound in the near future. The industry will consist of more mergers, less flights with smaller aircraft for the foreseeable future.

Who knows about the QF A380’s, as they may not really fly much longer at all, depending on how deep the recession is and when the airline can realistically see it playing a role again.

Moving back to a smaller, more agile fleet, will likely need to be a key priority to build a platform for incremental growth.

AVB

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:47 am

I believe there’s some speculation about Jetstar domestic temporarily stopping operations next week. We’ll know more in the coming days I guess. I really hope this doesn’t happen. It’s so hard to project what’s going to happen next.

moa999

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 am

AVB wrote:
Anyone know what the project flight times are for those sectors between DRW-LHR and LHR-DRW?

It will take 16 hours and 45 minutes to fly to London from Darwin and 16 hours and 20 minutes on the return from London.

Sydney 1800 Darwin 2115
Darwin 2300 London 0615+1

London 2205 Darwin 2355+1
Darwin 0115+2 Sydney 0700+2

AVB

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:54 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
AVB wrote:

Who knows about the QF A380’s, as they may not really fly much longer at all, depending on how deep the recession is and when the airline can realistically see it playing a role again.

Moving back to a smaller, more agile fleet, will likely need to be a key priority to build a platform for incremental growth.

I feel you’re right. They may not return to scheduled flying again.
:(

EK413

Australian Aviation Thread - March 2020

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
AVB wrote:

-OQI is currently operating a ferry flight QF6017 SYD-DRS if I’m not mistaken. (From memory was the next to enter reconfigure)

Flight QF6017 from Sydney
https://fr24.com/QFA6017/2441df70

As for the B787 becoming the backbone of the scaled back QF without a doubt and I’d even go as far as speculating the JQ B788’s will end up transitioning to mainline.

Last edited by EK413 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thatcher

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:14 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
Thatcher wrote:
Emirates' current Australia plans according to Routes online

Not current any more, EK is suspending ALL flights from March 25 for at least two weeks due to the UAE's ban on passenger flights.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ll-flights

Yeah they were all off, then some were back on as I posted. Latest I heard this evening was as you say - the flip flop had flop flipped, all services once again cancelled.

Interesting times.

IndianicWorld

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:23 pm

AVB wrote:
I believe there’s some speculation about Jetstar domestic temporarily stopping operations next week. We’ll know more in the coming days I guess. I really hope this doesn’t happen. It’s so hard to project what’s going to happen next.

Given that borders are lately closed across the country (14 day self isolation required), leisure travel is a no go so only those who are desperately seeking to get home or urgently have to get somewhere will be wanting to travel, which is reducing by the day.

Wouldn’t be surprised if airports just become cargo airports for a while at this rate, with passenger terminals closed. Demand is falling away that quickly it’s hard to see any other outcome after the last peak of pax rushing to get home is completed.

To think that only a couple of weeks ago the MCG had 86k people and the Mardi Gras occurred and we now see ourselves in this position.

This is truly the game changer event, with anything else using that description long is the distance.

IndianicWorld

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Thatcher wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
Thatcher wrote:

Not current any more, EK is suspending ALL flights from March 25 for at least two weeks due to the UAE's ban on passenger flights.

Yeah they were all off, then some were back on as I posted. Latest I heard this evening was as you say - the flip flop had flop flipped, all services once again cancelled.

Interesting times.

The original change of decision case out of pressure from foreign governments desperate to keep flights going to get their citizens home, but I guess other decision making top priority.

As things are changing so quickly, a decision made today is usually very different the day after. Once transfer pax were banned, airports in the UAE, HK and Singapore all literally grind to a halt. The demand dries up to nothing and those plans go out the door.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:47 pm

Thai Airways has canned all Australian services from 1 April and not expected to resume until 1 July

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-2q20/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Etihad flights will be cancelled for at least 2 weeks from 25 March

https://twitter.com/wandrme/status/1242 ... 80584?s=21
Forum Moderator

myki

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:03 pm

Thatcher wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
Thatcher wrote:

Interesting times.

There were two things happening at once. EK suspended all flights from March 25, then backflipped on a handful of key destinations to run a few extra flights. Separate to this, unrelated, is that UAE are closing airspace. So the fact that EK wanted to run a few extra flights is irrelevant as the airspace is closed anyway for general passenger flights to/from UAE. I think the confusion is that these things were all happening concurrently.

KevinR571

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:38 pm

moa999 wrote:
AVB wrote:
Anyone know what the project flight times are for those sectors between DRW-LHR and LHR-DRW?

It will take 16 hours and 45 minutes to fly to London from Darwin and 16 hours and 20 minutes on the return from London.

Sydney 1800 Darwin 2115
Darwin 2300 London 0615+1

London 2205 Darwin 2355+1
Darwin 0115+2 Sydney 0700+2

I few years ago I was lucky enough to sit in on Alan Joyce when he visited Darwin and I distinctively remember the gentlemen dining with him hopelessly presenting ‘how DRW was the only other major Australian airport which could reach LHR non-stop.’ I remember (silently) giggling because I thought that there was no way that anybody would choose DRW over PER. PER-LHR was announced shortly thereafter and the rest is history.

On a side note however, I successfully managed to cancel my Tigerair flight to Brisbane yesterday for a full flight credit to use when this all blows over. I chose to cancel due to the impending lock down within the ACT and I suspected that all other states would follow suit. Kudos to Tiger for the ease in in allowing me to cancel my flight mere hours after the lock-down announcement was made.

Its chaotic at the moment, Good luck out there.

Captdasbomb

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:48 pm

I wonder if Perth Airport can play hard ball with Qantas seeing that FIFO flights are continuing

qf2220

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:57 pm

Chipmunk1973 wrote:

What about the liquidity of the people that they are holding money of? Holding money in the bank of Qantas does me no favours at all.. Not even an interest payment.

Thatcher

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 pm

qf2220 wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:

What about the liquidity of the people that they are holding money of? Holding money in the bank of Qantas does me no favours at all.. Not even an interest payment.

Haha, didn't want to sound like I'm not part of "team Australia" by saying something similar, but I agree.

aerokiwi

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:46 pm

tullamarine wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:

Agreed, tullamarine. Flag carrier - what flag carrier?

I'm actually pretty optimistic about the rebound, when it comes. It will be gradual, as individual markets recover from the virus at different rates, and they cautiously reconnect. Then the suppressed demand from the economic impact this has will take a while to get over. But in the years to come, I don't see any reason as to why aviation doesn't return to business as usual.

Videoconferencing is all the rage but it can work both ways - it demonstrates the value of it, but also for face-to-face get-togethers. I'm already noticing that ideas and spontaneous conversations are way down over VC. So its impact will be there but ultimately marginal, I suspect.

This is the most uncertain time of this crisis. In the next month or so we'll start to get a clearer picture of what's to come, the timeframes involved and the actual impact on people and the economy. So I guess it's natural to assume the worst. But we always bounce back. And we have a remarkable habit for returning to BAU pretty quickly. I just hope all the local carriers can muddle their ways through till then.

DavidByrne

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:18 am

aerokiwi wrote:
I'm actually pretty optimistic about the rebound, when it comes. It will be gradual, as individual markets recover from the virus at different rates, and they cautiously reconnect. Then the suppressed demand from the economic impact this has will take a while to get over. But in the years to come, I don't see any reason as to why aviation doesn't return to business as usual.

Agree in principle. But when economic commentators much more knowledgeable than I are talking about the economic impact being potentially greater than the impact of the Great Depression, the rebound "when it comes" may be many years in the making. It won't just be a matter of re-opening the borders and passengers once again filling up the planes. The real issue for aviation, identified by a number of commentators, will be how many carriers can survive financially until the tide really turns, especially given most will be paying off loans for aircraft that they can't sell and can't operate in the medium term. The consensus appears to be that only airlines which receive direct government support will survive, and for many governments the choice will be between aviation and the health and welfare of its citizens. Where governments do prop up airlines, in most cases it will be one major carrier only per country, and the rest will fall by the wayside.

So yes, business as usual may resume, but all the signs are that this may be a very long time in the future.

ben175

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:23 am

Flying MEL-BNE-PER today to get in before the borders close. First sector had about 50 pax onboard (5/12 in J) but the transcon is pretty much full. I was beyond surprised to see how busy BNE was - looked no different to a normal day.

waoz1

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 am

Anyone checking out the LY87 service from Tel Aviv to Perth

Interesting flight path to get over.

allrite

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 am

VapourTrails wrote:

I have one QF return booking to Osaka in mid May that is sitting in limbo. I can't cancel it or do anything because it is "processing". I imagine that I'll have to ring them up soon, although they'll have to cancel it as the flight won't be operating.

After an initial slow restart due to fears of the spread reemerging until vaccination is sufficient, I reckon there might be a mini-boom in travel. Yes, there will be a recession//depression from the loss of jobs, but for those that do still have jobs there will also be plenty of meetings and events that are significantly postponed, but will still proceed. Also a desire to get well away from the house they've been stuck in (if they still have a job/money/annual leave). Those caveats will impact leisure travel.

Video conferencing is great and we use it a lot in my distributed team. It has definitely cut down on our domestic travel over the past few years (especially for me), but not eliminated it entirely.
I like artificial banana essence!

EK413

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:15 am

waoz1 wrote:

Clearly avoiding Saudi Arabia airspace.

Flight LY87 from Tel Aviv to Perth
https://fr24.com/ELY087/2442644a

VHSMM

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:32 am

I have one QF return booking to Osaka in mid May that is sitting in limbo. I can't cancel it or do anything because it is "processing". I imagine that I'll have to ring them up soon, although they'll have to cancel it as the flight won't be operating.

Insist on a refund, they never offer it first - directing people to credits - but if you insist, you can get cash
Flown: 727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,A300,A319,20,21,A330,A340,A380,CRJ-200,BAe146,AVRO100,Saab340B,MD82,F100,Dash8

BAeRJ100

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:51 am

VHSMM wrote:
Insist on a refund, they never offer it first - directing people to credits - but if you insist, you can get cash

I'm in a similar situation with JQ, my flight PER-SYD next month has been cancelled but I'm yet to receive official notification plus alternate offers. I've searched through both JQ's and QF's schedules and there is nothing they will be able to offer me that abides by their own "3hr flight change" rule. I will 100% be claiming a refund as soon as they communicate with me.

Someone posted above about taking the vouchers to assist the airlines at this time, which I agree with in circumstances where it is likely the customer will be able to use it. My case? Not so much. JQ is essentially my "airline of last resort" domestically, and indeed was my last resort for this particular flight. I'm not willing to take a financial loss by accepting a voucher that I will never use.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

ben175

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 am

EK413 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

Clearly avoiding Saudi Arabia airspace.

Flight LY87 from Tel Aviv to Perth
https://fr24.com/ELY087/2442644a

How absolutely bittersweet seeing an El Al 787 in PER - but for reasons like this...

PJC62

That was along flight

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:50 am

Another QF 388 about to land in German, was a long flight from Sydney

allrite

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 am

BAeRJ100 wrote:
VHSMM wrote:

I'm in a similar situation with JQ, my flight PER-SYD next month has been cancelled but I'm yet to receive official notification plus alternate offers. I've searched through both JQ's and QF's schedules and there is nothing they will be able to offer me that abides by their own "3hr flight change" rule. I will 100% be claiming a refund as soon as they communicate with me.

Someone posted above about taking the vouchers to assist the airlines at this time, which I agree with in circumstances where it is likely the customer will be able to use it. My case? Not so much. JQ is essentially my "airline of last resort" domestically, and indeed was my last resort for this particular flight. I'm not willing to take a financial loss by accepting a voucher that I will never use.

I kind of like vouchers because it means I "must" take a trip in the future (sorry darling, I *have* to go Japan again, don't want to waste the money!). Prevents me spending the money on more sensible things like necessities or house maintenance.
I like artificial banana essence!

FromCDGtoSYD

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:42 am

Anybody have more info about the logistics around the DRW stop ? Where will the bird be hanging out whilst refueling and will they be recatering ?

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:53 am

Virgin CEO Paul Scurrah has lodged a complaint with the ACCC over Qantas guerilla war to undermine confidence in the airline. Scurrah also states in his complaint that not have they had to deal with the fallout of the Coronavirus outbreak they have also deal with a misinformation campaign orchestrated by Qantas. This includes Qantas briefing journalists stating Virgin has appointed administrators and is running out of cash.

As Scurrah stated on the weekend they should be working together atm is these challenging times, its not a game of Survivor. Also lets not forget when it comes to QF arguing about federal help for Virgin obviously QF management have forgotten about the debt guarantee they asked the federal government in 2014.

I cant see this going away and think QF management need to be careful here otherwise they will find themselves on the end of another lawsuit

https://www.afr.com/companies/transport ... 323-p54cuh
Forum Moderator

qf2220

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:14 am

qf789 wrote:
Virgin CEO Paul Scurrah has lodged a complaint with the ACCC over Qantas guerilla war to undermine confidence in the airline. Scurrah also states in his complaint that not have they had to deal with the fallout of the Coronavirus outbreak they have also deal with a misinformation campaign orchestrated by Qantas. This includes Qantas briefing journalists stating Virgin has appointed administrators and is running out of cash.

As Scurrah stated on the weekend they should be working together atm is these challenging times, its not a game of Survivor. Also lets not forget when it comes to QF arguing about federal help for Virgin obviously QF management have forgotten about the debt guarantee they asked the federal government in 2014.

I cant see this going away and think QF management need to be careful here otherwise they will find themselves on the end of another lawsuit

From whats reported, QF have been incredibly poor judges of the moment here. They will come off as craven and bullying rather than the caring attitude they have cultivated. Im hoping the ACCC takes a strong look.

Having said that, if the major shareholders havent taken appropriate steps to support VA (eg Virgin Group waiving the license fee) then I think Australian Government support should be limited.

SYDSpotter

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:32 am

DavidByrne wrote:

So despite JQ being part of the QF group, you think the Govt will put a condition that only QF mainline gets assistance and that JQ be jettisoned? Will only flag carriers get support because the politicians want to sit back in business class once everything blows over? Sorry don't follow your logic.

If the economic environment is going to be that dire post COVID-19 why would a LCC like JQ struggle to make it given their lower cost base and can therefore offer lower fares compared with QF mainline which has a higher cost base and would ordinarily have much higher fares.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

VapourTrails

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:33 am

allrite wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:

After an initial slow restart due to fears of the spread reemerging until vaccination is sufficient, I reckon there might be a mini-boom in travel. Yes, there will be a recession//depression from the loss of jobs, but for those that do still have jobs there will also be plenty of meetings and events that are significantly postponed, but will still proceed. Also a desire to get well away from the house they've been stuck in (if they still have a job/money/annual leave). Those caveats will impact leisure travel.

Video conferencing is great and we use it a lot in my distributed team. It has definitely cut down on our domestic travel over the past few years (especially for me), but not eliminated it entirely.

Thank you allrite, and to all others that replied - I really appreciate it. The query also may help others too. I feel much more OK with the status of things now. I called them today and the current wait time is an hour. I am not urgent though so will get back onto it next week. It hasn’t been a week yet. Only thing is I’ve got another trip in July, and I may have to cancel again. A voucher accumulation may be an issue. I prefer vouchers as it helps the airline and I’ll defer most of my leave I would have used for these anyway.

So the remaining Qantas 747 fleet are definitely going to APAS at Alice Springs this week? Will the facility now be at capacity out of this?

SCFlyer

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:57 am

qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

From whats reported, QF have been incredibly poor judges of the moment here. They will come off as craven and bullying rather than the caring attitude they have cultivated. Im hoping the ACCC takes a strong look.

Having said that, if the major shareholders havent taken appropriate steps to support VA (eg Virgin Group waiving the license fee) then I think Australian Government support should be limited.

Problem is that none of the shareholders are in a financial position to support VA whatsover. Branson only has a minority stake (10%) but I do agree with your point regarding the license fee that he obviously benefits from.

2 of them are basically already bankrupt in "administration" before the COVID crisis (EY and HNA), SIA/SQ has their own financial problems (to be fair - through no fault of their own) and are likely to get a bailout by the Singapore government, and who knows what happened to Nanshan.

DavidByrne

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:39 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
So despite JQ being part of the QF group, you think the Govt will put a condition that only QF mainline gets assistance and that JQ be jettisoned? Will only flag carriers get support because the politicians want to sit back in business class once everything blows over? Sorry don't follow your logic.

If the economic environment is going to be that dire post COVID-19 why would a LCC like JQ struggle to make it given their lower cost base and can therefore offer lower fares compared with QF mainline which has a higher cost base and would ordinarily have much higher fares.

I suspect that support for QF will come with strings that match the government's strategic perspective as to what is in Australia's best interests, not necessarily QF's. For example, the loan package offered NZ by the New Zealand government came with a requirement that it operate certain routes (Tasman, Singapore and LAX) in exchange. I can't see the government specifying any part of JQ as a strategic necessity but there are definitely parts of the QF network that are critical to the nation.

The big question for JQ is whether there will be enough cash left in the wider QF group at the end of the crisis (if indeed there is ANY cash left) to sustain two brands. Given the demands for cash that will come from all sectors of the economy, I seriously doubt there will ever be any government funds available for JQ if QF has already had probably the largest bailout of any individual company already. It will then be up to the QF board to decide how to allocate any funds that may still be remain in the coffers. Very unlikely IMHO that it will go to an LCC when the rest if the QF network will also be crying out for investment.

Chipmunk1973

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 am

BAeRJ100 wrote:

I made the comment that it financially benefits the airline, but I never stated that I personally thought it was the best option. It all depends on personal circumstances and situations. Clearly from a business perspective, the airline wants to hold onto the cash, but that doesn’t mean they have right. At the end of the day, if you’ve paid them and they’re not providing you with the service you requested, then you should get your money returned.

In my situation, cashing in to a voucher was my best choice.

Rgds,
C1973

**Edit: Grammar**
Last edited by Chipmunk1973 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
C1973

Chipmunk1973

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 am

allrite wrote:

I kind of like vouchers because it means I "must" take a trip in the future (sorry darling, I *have* to go Japan again, don't want to waste the money!). Prevents me spending the money on more sensible things like necessities or house maintenance.

As Eric Idle from Monty Python claimed, “I thought the key to a good marriage is separate bedrooms. But I’ve learned it’s separate countries.” :D

Rgds,
C1973
Cheers,
C1973

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos