Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCFlyer

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2020

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:51 pm

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/412 ... bs-on-line

Looks like a "mass" VA withdrawal from NZ is likely with the closure of the NZ crew base. Scaled back limited operations to NZ, if VA does return to NZ, will use Australian crews instead.
Last edited by SCFlyer on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CraigAnderson

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:52 pm

"Virgin Australia boss Paul Scurrah says more than 1000 of the workers it stood down this week will likely be made redundant as the airline grounds almost its entire fleet during the coronavirus pandemic. The redundancies are likely to include about 500 roles at Virgin's New Zealand base, which it is looking to close."

In some ways, this is all making it easier for Scurrah to "right-size" Virgin and get rid of a lot of costs which would otherwise have been very contentious.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 54e23.html

tullamarine

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:11 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
"Virgin Australia boss Paul Scurrah says more than 1000 of the workers it stood down this week will likely be made redundant as the airline grounds almost its entire fleet during the coronavirus pandemic. The redundancies are likely to include about 500 roles at Virgin's New Zealand base, which it is looking to close."

In some ways, this is all making it easier for Scurrah to "right-size" Virgin and get rid of a lot of costs which would otherwise have been very contentious.

I know what you mean but saying he finds anything easy in this environment makes him sound very callous. I'm sure he finds it very stressful and sad; anyone who didn't is a sociopath.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

aerokiwi

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:15 am

Aviator34ID wrote:
"If corporate Australia isn't savvy enough to recognise that and support two carriers, then they'll pay the price. As will we all."

I suspect that what's left of corporate Australia will be interested in the cheapest, most efficient airline, rather than any philosophical embrace of supporting two carriers.

Hardly philosophical when your travel costs in year 2 post-virus shoot up 40 per cent because, yeah, you've got one carrier. But sure, treat it as some philosophical musing.

aerokiwi

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:17 am

tullamarine wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I know what you mean but saying he finds anything easy in this environment makes him sound very callous. I'm sure he finds it very stressful and sad; anyone who didn't is a sociopath.

I didn't realise he was a Manager at Ansett during its collapse - read about it the other day. Sounded just terrible.

CraigAnderson

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:31 am

tullamarine wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I'm not saying HE finds this any easier, not at all. This is a terrible situation. Maybe I should have chosen my words better. What I was trying to say is that if COVID19 didn't happen, Scurrah would still have needed to make some tough calls like closing the NZ base and maybe even ditching Tiger, as he was trying to prune Virgin Australia back to the most solid business foundation and one that fits the market, not the amped-up Borghetti 'Qantas Lite' version. COVID19 sort of 'forces' Scurrah to do these things but it also removes a lot of the scrutiny and complaining which would have accompanied those decisions without COVID19, if you get what I mean.

I think that if Virgin Australia survives, and I really have my doubts about that unless it gets a Govt bailout or unless these bans go away very quickly and travellers come back very quickly, which I doubt very much, but if Virgin Australia survives I reckon it will be closer to what Scurrah would have envisioned anyway in a more ideal scenario. It'll be a lot smaller, it won't have the NZ base and it probably won't have Tiger, and it will be a better airline because of all that.

qf2220

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:31 am

eta unknown wrote:
ACCC may think they have such power, but realistically no:
a) JQ is a wholly owned subsidiary- separate financials don't exist
b) all of JQ's maintenance and other bills, etc are paid by QF
c) how do you compensate QF shareholders if part of their investment is cast off?
d) Imagine the optics of the Aussie Govt. giving money to foreigners (NZ) to run a competitor against an Australian company
e) Corporate Australia will give their business to whichever company offers them the best deal- they don't care about aviation rivalry.

I see Branson is pumping GBP215m into VS- what's he done for VA?

Your assertions on (a) and (b) are false.

SCFlyer

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:02 am

May be that COVID-19 would be able to force VA to prune almost all (if not the entire) NZ operation, something Luxon wasn't able to achieve when he had a board seat in his "clash of the egos" with Borghetti.

SenFinn

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:45 am

Anyone know why Jetstar 788 VH-VKL is in Hong Kong?

CraigAnderson

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:50 am

SMH has added more to the story:

"Virgin Australia will make all pilots at its budget arm Tigerair redundant as part of a round of layoffs that will see more than 1000 workers lose their jobs in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Virgin insists its low-cost subsidiary will continue to operate after the COVID-19 crisis passes, with plans to use a single workforce of pilots across both the Virgin and Tigerair fleets."

Maybe, or maybe this is the penultimate step before announcing post-COVID19 that Tiger won't be back.

EK413

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:10 am

SenFinn wrote:
Anyone know why Jetstar 788 VH-VKL is in Hong Kong?

Scheduled maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

rtav

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:52 am

Rumours are circulating that there will be more chartered repatriation flights to Australia, especially in relation to cruise ships off our coast. WA premier Mark Mcgowan hinted at German Charter flights to rescue Germans stuck on the Aratania given they’re allowed to come ashore.
Can anyone elaborate on this?

SCFlyer

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:27 am

SINGAPORE — Singapore Airlines Ltd on Thursday went into a rare trading halt pending an announcement, days after it said it would ground almost its entire fleet and seek more financing as it grapples with the coronavirus pandemic.

The airline did not provide details to the stock exchange on the topic of the planned announcement

SQ likely preparing for the inevitable government bailout. As expected, SQ would be too busy keeping themselves afloat to worry about their VA or their Vistara India stakes for that matter.

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/ ... nouncement

Captdasbomb

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:09 am

rtav wrote:
Rumours are circulating that there will be more chartered repatriation flights to Australia, especially in relation to cruise ships off our coast. WA premier Mark Mcgowan hinted at German Charter flights to rescue Germans stuck on the Aratania given they’re allowed to come ashore.

Point of correction. There is no-one allowed off the cruise ships off the WA coast. WA residents will be transferred to Rottnest Island for 14 day quarantine & arrangements for interstate citizens & permanent residents are yet to be made.

EK413

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:26 am

Captdasbomb wrote:
rtav wrote:

Point of correction. There is no-one allowed off the cruise ships off the WA coast. WA residents will be transferred to Rottnest Island for 14 day quarantine & arrangements for interstate citizens & permanent residents are yet to be made.

Good, last thing we need is a cruise ship with potential COVID-19 carriers disembark off our shores and go about their normal life without any guarantee they’ll self isolate.

Qantas737

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:33 am

EK413 wrote:
Captdasbomb wrote:
rtav wrote:

Good, last thing we need is a cruise ship with potential COVID-19 carriers disembark off our shores and go about their normal life without any guarantee they’ll self isolate.

You say this as though it has happened once before already... :scratchchin:

I'm still at a complete loss as to why all these cruise ships have been such COVID-19 hot spots? I know it's probably as a result of international travel in the days leading up to the cruise departures, but still crazy that so many have been affected!

Gemuser

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 am

Qantas737 wrote:

I'm still at a complete loss as to why all these cruise ships have been such COVID-19 hot spots? I know it's probably as a result of international travel in the days leading up to the cruise departures, but still crazy that so many have been affected!

It is simple. Ships have always been fertile breeding grounds for germs & viruses due to their enclosed or isolated nature once at sea. If one person onboard is affected, especially with a respiratory problem, it tends to rip through the entire vessal before anybody can act.

Gemuser

zkojq

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:00 am

Flew back Melbourne to Auckland last week on an Air New Zealand 787-9. Only 60 pax aboard.

CraigAnderson wrote:

"Virgin Australia will make all pilots at its budget arm Tigerair redundant as part of a round of layoffs that will see more than 1000 workers lose their jobs in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
Virgin insists its low-cost subsidiary will continue to operate after the COVID-19 crisis passes, with plans to use a single workforce of pilots across both the Virgin and Tigerair fleets."

Maybe, or maybe this is the penultimate step before announcing post-COVID19 that Tiger won't be back.

So can we assume that they're finally going to be getting rid of all their A320s and will operate a single fleet? It's taken long enough.

On another note, I'd like to make the point of how disgustingly VANZ crew have been treated. They made big sacrifices that their Australian counterparts didn't to help the airline's profitability. Very sad to see them laid off.
First to fly the 787-9

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:03 am

zkojq wrote:
Flew back Melbourne to Auckland last week on an Air New Zealand 787-9. Only 60 pax aboard.

CraigAnderson wrote:

So can we assume that they're finally going to be getting rid of all their A320s and will operate a single fleet? It's taken long enough.

On another note, I'd like to make the point of how disgustingly VANZ crew have been treated. They made big sacrifices that their Australian counterparts didn't to help the airline's profitability. Very sad to see them laid off.

The withdrawal of the A320's for TT was announced a month ago
Forum Moderator

waoz1

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:04 am

EK413 wrote:
Captdasbomb wrote:
rtav wrote:

In clarification of Mark McGowan's press conference this morning.

One cruise ship currently has around 7 cases of COVID-19. That cruise ship is mostly europeans onboard (Germans, French etc).
What he did say was that if those with the virus needed to be taken off the cruise ships, they would need to be moved to a Federal Government site for treatment. Then after that they could be repatriated back to their countries of origin (ie charters).

EK413

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:21 am

VHQPE enroute to BNE.

Flight QF6124 from Melbourne
https://fr24.com/QFA6124/24466a77

Qantas737

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:23 am

Gemuser wrote:
Qantas737 wrote:

It is simple. Ships have always been fertile breeding grounds for germs & viruses due to their enclosed or isolated nature once at sea. If one person onboard is affected, especially with a respiratory problem, it tends to rip through the entire vessal before anybody can act.

Gemuser

Fair point! Whilst this is straying slightly from the topic of aviation, it must be looking pretty dire for the cruise ship industry as a whole and it'd be interesting to see if it bounces back to where it was pre-covid. I myself didn't have much desire to go on a cruise prior to this pandemic as it seems like they're always in the news for a gastro outbreak or similar, and I certainly would have my reservations about going on a cruise in future...

Aviator34ID

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:28 am

" I certainly would have my reservations about going on a cruise in future."

Having reservations would not be a good thing! :) :)

Qantas737

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:33 am

Aviator34ID wrote:
" I certainly would have my reservations about going on a cruise in future."

Having reservations would not be a good thing! :) :)

Well played :)

FL420FT

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 am

Dan23 wrote:
It appears there is an additional PER-LHR service tonight as QF5, scheduled to depart Perth at 2210 with an arrival in London at 0800. Should be operated by VH-ZNE which cut short QF10 in Perth earlier today.

The return QF6 is scheduled for Friday.

QF5 is a charter (yes, an unusual charter flight number) for the Irish government.

QF6 is also a charter (see above) for a cruise company.

mrkerr7474

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:25 am

I see QF are ferrying x2 A380 SYD-LAX this evening. Is that due to bring Australians back or would it be to store the A380s in LAX for the time being?

zkncj

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 am

zkojq wrote:

CraigAnderson wrote:

Take VA is planning on returning to New Zealand at all?

Other wise wouldn’t it if made sense for them to have kept the VANZ crew? After all they would of been able to calm an $600/pw wage sub for the next 12 weeks to help them pay the crew something for the down period. Surely they would be able to prove there bussiness had reduced by over 30% which unlocks the NZ Government wage subsidy.

CraigAnderson

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:33 am

zkncj wrote:
Take VA is planning on returning to New Zealand at all?

I really wonder if there's anything in the trans-tasman market for Virgin Australia, especially now that NZ has split from them. Maybe the market's just not big enough for three full-service players. Kiwis will likely fly NZ, Aussies will likely fly QF.

CraigAnderson

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:34 am

Wow, ET just broke this:

"Qatar Airways to fly to Brisbane from March 29; plus Sydney goes triple-daily, with twice-daily flights for Melbourne & Perth"

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... s-brisbane

Am sure the extra SYD MEL and PER services are very short-term but I hope BNE stays!!

EK413

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
I see QF are ferrying x2 A380 SYD-LAX this evening. Is that due to bring Australians back or would it be to store the A380s in LAX for the time being?

Both heading to LAX for storage.

EK413

Australian Aviation Thread - March 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 am

Duplicate post please delete
Last edited by EK413 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

EK413

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Wow, ET just broke this:

"Qatar Airways to fly to Brisbane from March 29; plus Sydney goes triple-daily, with twice-daily flights for Melbourne & Perth"

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... s-brisbane

Am sure the extra SYD MEL and PER services are very short-term but I hope BNE stays!!

I’m curious how QR was able to all of the sudden receive approval to operate 3 x DOH-SYD, 2 x DOH-MEL/PER & daily DOH-BNE?

CraigAnderson

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:09 pm

I'm sure this is just for a week or two, QR always likes to hype tings up.

SCFlyer

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:15 pm

"The Oneworld member will launch Brisbane-Doha flights on March 29 using a Boeing 777-300ER, although the timings are still to be advised."

Either Executive Traveller is one week early with the April Fools Jokes, or they forgot to add "2021" to this "annoucement".

Edit: Or it's a series of "charters" from 'next week' to get people home to their countries in light of the C-19 crisis.

Qantas16

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:58 pm

QR912 leaves DOH at 2000 for a 1720 arrival in BNE.

QR913 leaves BNE at 2120 for a 0520 arrival in DOH.

The last flight appears to be the 16th of April ex-BNE.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:40 pm

From what I have been told from a source of mine

The QR PER flights are only operating 4 weekly

A388 back in PER tomorrow, also a planned freighter coming in tomorrow as well

Next week will see double daily 4 days a week for at least next week
Forum Moderator

rtav

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but there is an Austrian Flight scheduled to go to Sydney.
Lufthansa Group scheduled showing OS1028 SYD-PEN-VIE with B772. (31/03 departing at 1015)

getluv

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:19 pm

VA credit rating cut again by S&P

From the Guardian.

Virgin Australia’s credit rating cut to CCC
S&P has cut Virgin Australia’s credit rating to CCC, deep in junk territory, after the airline grounded 125 planes due to the coronavirus pandemic, warning the airline was at risk of defaulting on its debt.

“our view that a default or distressed exchange appears increasingly likely over the next 12 months, absent timely government or other support and/or a swift reversal of the Covid-19 outbreak”.

The prospect of timely and coordinated equity support now appears unlikely.
I'm that bad type.

zkojq

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Given that the UAE's ban means that Emirates and Qatar have stopped flying, I suspect that this is just Qatar being opportunistic and trying to make a bit of short term cash by repatriating the thousands of Europeans still stuck in Australia (and New Zealand).
On James O'Brien's radio show yesterday there were loads of people calling in about family members stuck in Australasia and South East Asia, unable to return to the UK due to airlines cutting service at short notice.
First to fly the 787-9

qf2220

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:47 pm

Fairness prevails

Qantas flight credit extension

From today, anyone holding a Qantas ticket for travel before 31 July 2020 can get a flight credit and retain the full value of their booking. You need to do this by 30 April 2020. The flight credit is valid for booking and travel by 31 December 2021. This gives you more than 18 months to plan, rebook and travel.

Per Qantas email just now.

NTLDaz

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 pm

zkojq wrote:
Given that the UAE's ban means that Emirates and Qatar have stopped flying, I suspect that this is just Qatar being opportunistic and trying to make a bit of short term cash by repatriating the thousands of Europeans still stuck in Australia (and New Zealand).
On James O'Brien's radio show yesterday there were loads of people calling in about family members stuck in Australasia and South East Asia, unable to return to the UK due to airlines cutting service at short notice.

Almost certainly flights for repatriation purposes but I'm not sure why a UAE ban would affect QR.

RyanairGuru

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:56 pm

NTLDaz wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Almost certainly flights for repatriation purposes but I'm not sure why a UAE ban would affect QR.

Emirates, and to a lessor extent Etihad, play a big role in moving people between Europe and Asia/Australia. With them shut down there is an opportunity for Qatar to opportunistically fill the void in repatriating people.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

zkojq

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:40 am

NTLDaz wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Sorry, I meant Etihad in my first sentence. :banghead:

RyanairGuru explained accurately what I meant.
First to fly the 787-9

BAeRJ100

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:14 am

qf789 wrote:
From what I have been told from a source of mine

The QR PER flights are only operating 4 weekly

A388 back in PER tomorrow, also a planned freighter coming in tomorrow as well

Next week will see double daily 4 days a week for at least next week

It is 2 flights daily. Bookable every day next week on the QR website.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

SCFlyer

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:15 am

"Singapore Airlines has raised US10.5 billion through Singapore Inc, which raises the question - is a takeover of Virgin Australia on the horizon."

Once again - Fake News, as per the numerous other articles in the past 5 years. The bailout money given to SQ is to pay their ongoing debts due to the C-19 crisis.
Not to mention SQ's overall mediocre record on managing their overseas investments (VS, Tiger Airways, NZ/AN, Virgin Australia).

Also, I got 1 'start of year' prediction right with the so called "messiah" SQ to take over VA 'fake news' article being published this year.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... c3e5c44d3d

sierrakilo44

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:02 am

SCFlyer wrote:
"Singapore Airlines has raised US10.5 billion through Singapore Inc, which raises the question - is a takeover of Virgin Australia on the horizon."

Once again - Fake News, as per the numerous other articles in the past 5 years. The bailout money given to SQ is to pay their ongoing debts due to the C-19 crisis.
Not to mention SQ's overall mediocre record on managing their overseas investments (VS, Tiger Airways, NZ/AN, Virgin Australia).

Also, I got 1 'start of year' prediction right with the so called "messiah" SQ to take over VA 'fake news' article being published this year.

Although here’s a cunning theory.

When the pandemic is over a lot of profit in Australian domestic market will resume. SQ would love 100% of it.

How?

VA about to collapse (I think inevitable now)
SQ steps in as the saviour with a cash injection (that the Australian government won’t say no to cos it saves jobs in a time of high unemployment)

Even though SQ loses money, it keeps VA afloat.
In a few months QF can’t sustain continuing operations, they don’t have a rich foreign government to bail them out.

The Australian government is too busy keeping the rest of the economy from sinking and refuses to bail QF out as a foreign government has already rescued one domestic airline so why should they spend money as well when only one is needed in the country?

Pandemic subsides, flights return to normal. VA now sole airline in the market (there’s no need for two in a country of 24 mil as countries far larger have only one.) SQ reap the benefits of having a monopoly in a very profitable market.

Don’t think it can’t happen? There’s no sentiment from the government to bail out Qantas. If a foreign government bails out one carrier they’ll be grateful.

waoz1

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:34 am

Apparently the Germans are chartering two services to Perth to collect cruise passengers

2 x Condor 757s

waoz1

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:39 am

Delete
Last edited by waoz1 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

qf2220

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:39 am

[quote="sierrakilo44"][/quote]

Too much conspiracy juice there mate.

getluv

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:23 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Although here’s a cunning theory.

When the pandemic is over a lot of profit in Australian domestic market will resume. SQ would love 100% of it.

How?

VA about to collapse (I think inevitable now)
SQ steps in as the saviour with a cash injection (that the Australian government won’t say no to cos it saves jobs in a time of high unemployment)

Even though SQ loses money, it keeps VA afloat.
In a few months QF can’t sustain continuing operations, they don’t have a rich foreign government to bail them out.

The Australian government is too busy keeping the rest of the economy from sinking and refuses to bail QF out as a foreign government has already rescued one domestic airline so why should they spend money as well when only one is needed in the country?

Pandemic subsides, flights return to normal. VA now sole airline in the market (there’s no need for two in a country of 24 mil as countries far larger have only one.) SQ reap the benefits of having a monopoly in a very profitable market.

Don’t think it can’t happen? There’s no sentiment from the government to bail out Qantas. If a foreign government bails out one carrier they’ll be grateful.

The problem with your theory is that VA has other major shareholders that won’t have the same business case in keeping VA afloat.

Bailouts are usually the last resort. Bailouts come with all sorts of terms and conditions designed to save the business not to grow it. If SQ have asked for money I doubt it would be to sustain VA’s operations.
I'm that bad type.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos