Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

waoz1

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2020

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:40 am

NH881 into Perth tonight is the 789 - R2D2 Livery (JA873A)

Very cool to see, last time I saw it was at NRT myself.

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:43 am

qf789 wrote:
I think that once international flights resume QF will only do the trunk routes to start, something similar to what they had planned prior to canning all international flights, essentially LAX, DFW, LHR, SIN and maybe HKG/HND, all operated by 789's all operating from SYD with the exception of LHR which would probably go through PER. Cant see much more that at this stage and its going to take a long time to get back to the volume required in operating A388's on any route

I have to agree, Qantas will start small because demand will be incredibly hard to forecast. It will rely on how passengers at each end of a route feel about flying again, and while business travel always bounced back before leisure travel, even business travel will depend on company policies, some companies will not want their people flying too soon. It will start as B789s, and some A330s to Asia, and some routes such as ex-MEL and ex-BNE to the US might even begin as 4x instead of daily, again it will all depend on demand. Nobody has even seen anything like this and there is no model for how quickly or slowly travel will return.

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:47 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
Not doubting you Craig, but do you have a link to Qantas stating it has not retired the 747? The link you give is, well, a blogger, and his blog doesn't by my reading say Qantas has not retired the 747; rather it reflects what Qantas has communicated that "All Qantas and Jetstar international flights will be suspended from the end of March until at least 31 May 2020. Some additional services may be considered to assist with repatriation. More than 150 aircraft will be grounded during this time, including all of Qantas’ A380s, 747s and B787s." There seems to be a lack of confirmation one way or the other on the status of the 747, other than "grounded" with A380s and A330s.
I guess where they get sent for storage over the coming days will give us a fairly good indication.
V/F

I consider Executive Traveller, which used to be Australian Business Traveller, as a very credible news source, especially compared to a blogger like Sam Chui or Simple Flying who jumped on the 'Qantas is retiring the 747' story. I also note that none of the other media reporting on the Qantas 747 today, including Fairfax, had quotes from Qantas so I would say Qantas didn't issue a press release but just gave comments to journalists 'on background'.

The other big rumour started by a guy on Twitter was that all five B747s had been sold to GE, not seeing any confirmation of this either.

VirginFlyer

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:23 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
Not doubting you Craig, but do you have a link to Qantas stating it has not retired the 747? The link you give is, well, a blogger, and his blog doesn't by my reading say Qantas has not retired the 747; rather it reflects what Qantas has communicated that "All Qantas and Jetstar international flights will be suspended from the end of March until at least 31 May 2020. Some additional services may be considered to assist with repatriation. More than 150 aircraft will be grounded during this time, including all of Qantas’ A380s, 747s and B787s." There seems to be a lack of confirmation one way or the other on the status of the 747, other than "grounded" with A380s and A330s.
I guess where they get sent for storage over the coming days will give us a fairly good indication.
V/F

I consider Executive Traveller, which used to be Australian Business Traveller, as a very credible news source, especially compared to a blogger like Sam Chui or Simple Flying who jumped on the 'Qantas is retiring the 747' story. I also note that none of the other media reporting on the Qantas 747 today, including Fairfax, had quotes from Qantas so I would say Qantas didn't issue a press release but just gave comments to journalists 'on background'.

The other big rumour started by a guy on Twitter was that all five B747s had been sold to GE, not seeing any confirmation of this either.

Well I do hope it turns out to be right - I would really like to go for a ride in the -400ER. I had been thinking about a trip to Santiago in the middle of the year, which obviously won't happen, but if there is a reprieve on the 747-400ER I hope to be there; I'm still kicking myself nearly 20 years on for missing out on the 747SP.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

SYDSpotter

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:59 am

If it is indeed the end of the road for QF's 747, it will be very sad. My first QF 747 flight was to HKG, with my most recent experience being a hop to HND last year. Have always enjoyed my 747 flights except for 1 flight from SYD-SIN when I was stuck in a middle seat between two large gentlemen :crowded:
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

Flyingsottsman

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:01 am

When this is all over I wonder if Qantas will have enough aircraft or will they rush to get aircraft into it's fleet, I should imagined they would have a condignly plan in place for this or any such other world emergency. Would they have enough 787s to cover their 744 fleet if they ground and retire tall the remaining 744s all at once?

ZK-NBT

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:26 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
When this is all over I wonder if Qantas will have enough aircraft or will they rush to get aircraft into it's fleet, I should imagined they would have a condignly plan in place for this or any such other world emergency. Would they have enough 787s to cover their 744 fleet if they ground and retire tall the remaining 744s all at once?

They will IMO have enough, 3 more 789s I’d imagine will still arrive as planned later this year, and things aren’t going to ramp up overnight, it will be gradual based on how certain countries regions merge from this whole mess. As QF789 said the 789s could well do all the long haul flying initially ex SYD or something. They will work with what they have.

jman

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:27 am

qf789 wrote:

Great effort, QF789, thanks!

Total noob question... how would the airlines keep their crews type rated? There's an hours-based flight time requirement per year, am I right? In which case, how would that be managed? Or would they just let it lapse and factor in the future cost of re-certifying the crews? Again, I have no idea how this works though having spoken to pilots in the past about hours etc, it seems a pretty big issue for airlines in ordinary times.

Cabin crew need to operate on each aircraft they are trained on atleast once every 90 days in order to avoid a refresher course to be recertified

soectre99

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:57 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Bloggers jumping the gun again. Qantas says it has not retired the Boeing 747 and that it could well be used on "rescue flights" due to capacity, but the longer the current situation drags on the less likely the B747 is to return to the skies.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... 47-retired

Gotta love it when people reference their commentary with a Twitter post!

sierrakilo44

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:23 am

jman wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Total noob question... how would the airlines keep their crews type rated? There's an hours-based flight time requirement per year, am I right? In which case, how would that be managed? Or would they just let it lapse and factor in the future cost of re-certifying the crews? Again, I have no idea how this works though having spoken to pilots in the past about hours etc, it seems a pretty big issue for airlines in ordinary times.

Cabin crew need to operate on each aircraft they are trained on atleast once every 90 days in order to avoid a refresher course to be recertified

For pilots it’s even stricter. Every 35-45 days or thereabouts. If not they have to go back for currency sessions in a simulator or in an aircraft which is a waste of resources. So it makes sense to share the small amount of available flying on fleets which are still flying between as many pilots as possible so when the demand picks up again they can be ready to return at a moment’s notice.

For aircraft which aren’t flying at all this obviously can’t be done so when they are ready to return to service the pilot training will have to be ramped up a month or two prior so pilots will be ready to go when the aircraft is returned to service.

Captdasbomb

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:23 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
jman wrote:
qf789 wrote:

For pilots it’s even stricter. Every 35-45 days or thereabouts. If not they have to go back for currency sessions in a simulator or in an aircraft which is a waste of resources. So it makes sense to share the small amount of available flying on fleets which are still flying between as many pilots as possible so when the demand picks up again they can be ready to return at a moment’s notice.

For aircraft which aren’t flying at all this obviously can’t be done so when they are ready to return to service the pilot training will have to be ramped up a month or two prior so pilots will be ready to go when the aircraft is returned to service.

https://www.casa.gov.au/news-article/ho ... -put-place

Pentaprism

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:41 pm

SYDSpotter wrote:
If it is indeed the end of the road for QF's 747, it will be very sad. My first QF 747 flight was to HKG, with my most recent experience being a hop to HND last year. Have always enjoyed my 747 flights except for 1 flight from SYD-SIN when I was stuck in a middle seat between two large gentlemen :crowded:

Well I will bet a large amount of money there will be some more QF 747 flights.

QF has one of the savviest Marketing teams in the Business. Look at how they milked the introduction of the 787. No way on Earth they will miss out on making a huge deal of the eventual 747 retirement. So for the 747 fans (of which I am not one), rest easy, you will get plenty of notice about the last QF 747 flight opportunity. No matter what happens at least one will be preserved in flying condition for that event.

EK413

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Just a handful of images floating around of aircraft in storage.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6492589 ... ?ref=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

VirginFlyer

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Flyingsottsman wrote:

To be honest I don't know if any operator would have had a detailed contingency plan for the worldwide aviation industry more or less grinding to a complete halt for a month or more, beyond some basic continuity of business planning.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 pm

Virgin Australia seeks $1.4 billion Government bailout

"Virgin has pitched a $1.4bn loan as part of a broader $5bn aviation industry rescue package."

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... nt-bailout

Also, VAH has suspended trading on the ASX this morning.

qf2220

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:31 pm

Slightly off centre idea, but could the lower capacity of the 744 compared to the A380 actually help it and QF in the ramp up of operations? Given there are 6 744-ERs, this could form a base network of say SYD-LAX and SYD-LHR, and perhaps at a lower aircraft cost than using A380s on the route? Might allow a return to service sooner rather than later from a cost perspective?

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:31 pm

Smart of Scurrah to suggest a $5bn industry package rather than just put out his hand for a Virgin-only deal. Cuts off Alan Joyce's criticism that support be given to all or none, and puts Joyce in the position of either supporting the $5bn package or knocking back some billions in interest-free Govt money which it could easily pay back in the same 2-3yr term.

anstar

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:41 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
Smart of Scurrah to suggest a $5bn industry package rather than just put out his hand for a Virgin-only deal. Cuts off Alan Joyce's criticism that support be given to all or none, and puts Joyce in the position of either supporting the $5bn package or knocking back some billions in interest-free Govt money which it could easily pay back in the same 2-3yr term.

Isnt the Job seeker a form of subsidy? It allows business like airlines to be supported by $1500 per fortnight in each staff members costs for 6 months.

TN486T

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:44 pm

It seems Paul Scurrah, and the ACCC, have forgotten what the 6-9 month old pilots strike did to domestic operations. But yes we need 2 airlines for competition purposes, but heck, since deregulation, we have had 1 and a bit, never 2 profitable, competitive full service carriers. And regionals, a very dicey proposition to say the least. They come and go, the only one with a good profitable sustainable business is QF Link.

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:52 pm

Really hard to see VA's way out of this. Virgin Blue was easily snookered by Jetstar which in turn was supported by the very deep pockets of Qantas, so a return to being a low-cost carrier won't work, but if after all these years of being a full-service carrier the airline can't turn a dime in profit then that model is also busted. Maybe Virgin should just axe all international flying and focus on being a domestic airline.

SCFlyer

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:11 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Really hard to see VA's way out of this. Virgin Blue was easily snookered by Jetstar which in turn was supported by the very deep pockets of Qantas, so a return to being a low-cost carrier won't work, but if after all these years of being a full-service carrier the airline can't turn a dime in profit then that model is also busted. Maybe Virgin should just axe all international flying and focus on being a domestic airline.

Perhaps the Gov't could let VA file administration, then the administrators could open expressions of interest for a new bare bones domestic airline formed from VA's assets (737s), similar to when the AN administrators restarted a AN Mk 2 operation decades ago to attract a buyer.

However the "new" airline formed from VA assets won't be carrying the Virgin name, saving $$ in licensing fees to RB.

If SQ still considers Australian market important, perhaps they could be a part of a group of investors interested in VA's assets. Provided they remain hands-off in the day to day operation of the potential new carrier.
This is considering SQ's mediocre past record at being hands-on in their investments in Australia (Strike 1: NZ/Ansett, Strike 2: Tiger Airways Australia and Strike 3:Virgin Australia)

SCFlyer

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:21 am

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-w ... t-c-900717

VAH shares in a trading halt. Which can only mean two things,
VAH announcing they've applied for (and/or got) the government loan
-or-
VAH are about to file administration.

Edit: Excuse the poorly researched article by that reporter, that reporter still listed NZ as a shareholder (who sold out in 2016).

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Perhaps the Gov't could let VA file administration, then the administrators could open expressions of interest for a new bare bones domestic airline formed from VA's assets (737s), similar to when the AN administrators restarted a AN Mk 2 operation decades ago to attract a buyer.
However the "new" airline formed from VA assets won't be carrying the Virgin name, saving $$ in licensing fees to RB.

That sounds like one approach. A striped-back VA which comes to the table with just the basics of a domestic airline could work. It would be very hard otherwise for a new entrant to come into the market after Virgin Australia crashes and to once again try to break a QF monopoly strange-hold.

Qantas16

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 am

Rex has U-turned on its support for Saturday’s regional aviation bailout and now says it will shut down Queensland passenger routes in 24 hours.

In a statement, Regional Express said, “While the Federal Government has announced several assistance packages for airlines, no concrete details have been forthcoming and more importantly, not a single cent has been disbursed.”

However, on Saturday, deputy chairman John Sharp said the business had the “utmost gratitude” for the $300 million financial package, which he added would allow essential regional aviation services to continue. The airline appears to have reverted to last week’s position of being critical of the government.

In a statement released at midnight, Rex said it would shut down its Queensland Regular Public Transport services from 1 April 2020, including five regulated routes operated under contract with the Queensland government.

Source: https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/ ... nd-routes/

I used to be a big supporter of Rex and what they do for the regional communities, however, they seem to be holding them hostage in their bid to get money from the Federal Government and maybe it's time to let them go. If the government is going to prop up QF/VA anyway, they can make more regional services a condition and maybe we'll see a dramatic change in the regional landscape...

SCFlyer

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:59 am

Virgin Australia has formally announced their trading halt to the ASX, pending further announcements.

https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20200331/ ... tnndll.pdf

aerokiwi

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:08 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

Apparently domestic and LAX operations are - or were - profitable. It's always been confusing how so much of the operation can be profitable in disclosures to the share market, yet the losses kept mounting. Clearly there are behind the scenes cost issues that haven't been addressed in the past, or they assign costs oddly.

A $5bn package for the sector is enormous. I'd imagine it would extend to airports as well as airlines, and you'd think the regional would be in the mix for it.

Ditzyboy

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:15 am

jman wrote:
qf789 wrote:

That is not true at all airlines. Some airlines have no aircraft recency requirements for cabin crew.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:04 am

Meanwhile Qantas is expecting $4.2 billion if VA gets its $1.4 billion

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... 54fis.html
Forum Moderator

Tankdiver

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:05 am

This clip was taken on VA VH-VPD just before they depart LAX on VA8 last night. Everyone who worked on VA aircraft at LAX and were on hand join in on the send off. The flight crew, cabin crew, VA reps, mechanics and engineers(SIAEC), tow crew and ground handling(Delta), security...we're really gonna miss them!

the clip: https://flic.kr/p/2iKnmd3

moa999

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:29 am

qf2220 wrote:
Slightly off centre idea, but could the lower capacity of the 744 compared to the A380 actually help it and QF in the ramp up of operations? Might allow a return to service sooner rather than later from a cost perspective?

Or they could just use 787s which are even cheaper to operate

waoz1

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:49 am

Perth Airport posted picture of NH flight the other night

https://twitter.com/PerthAirport/status ... 04230?s=20

Captdasbomb

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 am

[quote="qf2220"]Slightly off centre idea, but could the lower capacity of the 744 compared to the A380 actually help it and QF in the ramp up of operations? Given there are 6 744-ERs, this could form a base network of say SYD-LAX and SYD-LHR, and perhaps at a lower aircraft cost than using A380s on the route? Might allow a return to service sooner rather than later from a cost perspective?[/quote

Post Corona life of quad jets may be tricky cost & maintenance wise. Not expecting air travel to return to current levels for another 18-24months. Would be inclined to transfer the 788s to Qantas

SCFlyer

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:10 am

JQ (like VA) have also been strongly suggested that they probably concentrate on domestic-only in the LCC market, also taking into consideration their NZ ops has largely been loss making as well.

The exception could be the "Bali Bogan Bus" routes on the A320/A321LRs as JQ's only international routes. Perhaps building up to 1-stop Japan via CNS when the Japan market slowly recovers.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:46 am

British Airways to suspend SYD from 9-22 Apr 20. In the meantime the British High Commissioner to Australia says they are liaising with airlines including Qantas to keep flights to the UK

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... -hong-kong
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:47 am

Captdasbomb wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
Slightly off centre idea, but could the lower capacity of the 744 compared to the A380 actually help it and QF in the ramp up of operations? Given there are 6 744-ERs, this could form a base network of say SYD-LAX and SYD-LHR, and perhaps at a lower aircraft cost than using A380s on the route? Might allow a return to service sooner rather than later from a cost perspective?[/quote

Post Corona life of quad jets may be tricky cost & maintenance wise. Not expecting air travel to return to current levels for another 18-24months. Would be inclined to transfer the 788s to Qantas

You would think that some of the A380's are likely to be put to pasture as well if this goes on for too long
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:50 am

REX to shutdown all QLD services from 1 Apr 20 until they can operate the services in a commercially viable manner

https://blueswandaily.com/rex-to-shut-d ... -services/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:54 am

Swissport, Dnata, Cabin Serives and Menzies have stood down around 50% of their workforce and estimate $25-30 million is needed per month to retain the resources needed to protect and revuild the supply chains

https://blueswandaily.com/swissport-cab ... workforce/
Forum Moderator

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:58 am

@QF789, 19 pages of posts, this appears to have been a busy month for this forum?

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:58 am

waoz1 wrote:
Perth Airport posted picture of NH flight the other night

https://twitter.com/PerthAirport/status ... 04230?s=20

Here is it on approach to PER last night

https://twitter.com/Richard_Kreider/sta ... 14210?s=20

Also looks like the now 3 weekly service will see 787-9's
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:00 am

First scheduled Qatar flight into BNE yesterday

https://twitter.com/qatarairways/status ... 79136?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:01 am

There will be 2 Condor charters into SYD over the week, the first being on Friday teh 3 of April and the second on Monday the 6th of April

https://twitter.com/planespotter22/stat ... 93921?s=20
Forum Moderator

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:02 am

What are the chances that QR will ditch ADL over BNE?

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:03 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
@QF789, 19 pages of posts, this appears to have been a busy month for this forum?

Yes it has but we are about 80 posts short of the record for this thread
Forum Moderator

SCFlyer

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:03 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

Probably little to none. The usual bilaterals apply once the temporary charters finish up in mid-late April.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:04 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

probably slim to none atm, if bilaterals were to change that could be another story
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:11 am

Austrian 772 OE-LPD in SYD - few pics

https://twitter.com/AeronewsGlobal/stat ... 07622?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:15 am

Regarding China Southern flights the following applies

https://twitter.com/FATIIIAviation/stat ... 89794?s=20

CZ326/326 to SYD - daily flight, 6 weekly as just cargo and 1 weekly with passengers

Similarly CZ321/344 to MEL is flown in the similar manner but just as cargo flights however there are 2 FA's onboard the cargo flight for the pilots

https://twitter.com/FATIIIAviation/stat ... 06784?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:16 am

Regarding China Southern flights the following applies

https://twitter.com/FATIIIAviation/stat ... 89794?s=20

CZ326/326 to SYD - daily flight, 6 weekly as just cargo and 1 weekly with passengers

Similarly CZ321/344 to MEL is flown in the similar manner but just as cargo flights however there are 2 FA's onboard the cargo flight for the pilots

https://twitter.com/FATIIIAviation/stat ... 06784?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:20 am

A couple of pics of the LOT 789 in SYD a few days ago

https://twitter.com/www16Right/status/1 ... 46624?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:24 am

For the first half of April (1-14) Singapore Airlines will only fly to SYD 3 weekly with 77W

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-31mar20/
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos