Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planemanofnz

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - March 2020

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:07 am

Cam Wallace of NZ has released the airline's updated schedule (30 March - 31 May) via Twitter.

AKL/SYD - 3 per week.
AKL/MEL/BNE - 2 per week.
AKL/NAN/RAR/IUE - 1 per week
AKL/HKG - 2 per week
AKL/LAX - 3 per week
SYD/BNE/NLK - 2 per week

AKL/PVG - return services on alternate days from 2 May.

Domestic schedule will allow connections and is currently up to date but will be reviewed daily.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12319910

Interesting they've dropped SIN, it seems (but I presume SQ is still flying 3x weekly). Also interesting they've announced the re-launch date for PVG, and at such a high frequency (3-4 per week) particularly when MU will still be flying AKL - PVG throughout this period.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:10 am

DavidByrne wrote:
... if VA fails to pull through?

Interestingly, VA has seemingly finally decided to pull the plug on New Zealand - it seems, permanently.

In an announcement to the ASX, the company said it will commence consultation on a proposal to close its New Zealand cabin crew and pilot base. It employs about 200 pilots and 260 cabin crew here.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12319747

Cheers,

C.

zkncj

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:25 am

planemanofnz wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

Interestingly, VA has seemingly finally decided to pull the plug on New Zealand - it seems, permanently.

In an announcement to the ASX, the company said it will commence consultation on a proposal to close its New Zealand cabin crew and pilot base. It employs about 200 pilots and 260 cabin crew here.

Cheers,

C.

I'm assuming they wont return even with Australian based crews? does make me wonder what I'll do with $1000NZD in VA credits from cancelled flights on the Tasman....maybe they should be refunding New Zealand base customers rather than providing credits.

ZK-NBT

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:31 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Cam Wallace of NZ has released the airline's updated schedule (30 March - 31 May) via Twitter.

AKL/SYD - 3 per week.
AKL/MEL/BNE - 2 per week.
AKL/NAN/RAR/IUE - 1 per week
AKL/HKG - 2 per week
AKL/LAX - 3 per week
SYD/BNE/NLK - 2 per week

AKL/PVG - return services on alternate days from 2 May.

Domestic schedule will allow connections and is currently up to date but will be reviewed daily.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12319910

Interesting they've dropped SIN, it seems (but I presume SQ is still flying 3x weekly). Also interesting they've announced the re-launch date for PVG, and at such a high frequency (3-4 per week) particularly when MU will still be flying AKL - PVG throughout this period.

Cheers,

C.

SQ won’t be flying either. Probably SQ cargo will still be running I’d imagine.

aerorobnz

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:48 am

I have seen pics of a LH passenger DC10 at AKL in the previous white livery. It was from 1994-1996 IIRC correctly
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

groupguy

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:50 am

pbm wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
Interesting thought - could there be a limited role for NZ in the Australian domestic market in a post-Covid-19 world if VA fails to pull through? Not that I'm willing that to happen; far from it. And yeah, I know, been there, done that, twice, but this situation could be a whole new ballgame.

Third time lucky? I’d be shocked if they had another go.
with no cashflow, think Qantas is just as likely to fall over.

groupguy

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 am

zkncj wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I'm assuming they wont return even with Australian based crews? does make me wonder what I'll do with $1000NZD in VA credits from cancelled flights on the Tasman....maybe they should be refunding New Zealand base customers rather than providing credits.
can any airline afford to do refunds ?

hic787

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 pm

Yesterday's SIN-AKL with just 4 pax onboard! So crazy.

https://twitter.com/philipkirk6/status/ ... 8104095744

zkncj

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:45 am

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/120580784/coronavirus-auckland-airport-suspends-second-runway-and-other-major-projects

Looks like of any hopes of that new 'domestic terminal' by 2030 will be gone....

Having seem some photos this morning from people returning to the US the airport is an ghost town, duty free stored boarded up.

NZ6

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:28 am

zkncj wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Let's wait and see if this is the end of them in NZ or just a good time to close the NZ base. I'd expect them back on the Tasman at some point.

NZ6

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 am

zkncj wrote:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/120580784/coronavirus-auckland-airport-suspends-second-runway-and-other-major-projects

Looks like of any hopes of that new 'domestic terminal' by 2030 will be gone....

Having seem some photos this morning from people returning to the US the airport is an ghost town, duty free stored boarded up.

I completely agree that you can't commit to big projects at this time. But AIAL should be committing once the market starts returning to normal. Build then and don't wait otherwise demand will be higher and the gap will be greater then ever

We've been here before with the GFC

downdata

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:17 am

Since J* has never made money in NZ, I wonder if this is an opportunity for QF to shut it down for good and bring the a/c back to AU.

ZK-NBT

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:33 am

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12320133

Interesting NZ running a series of charters from YVR-FRA to get German tourists home from Cannda, they could have possibly taken some Germans from NZ on the way given LH are sending a 744 to AKL, possibly more than 1?

planemanofnz

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 am

NZ6 wrote:
We've been here before with the GFC.

This is much, much larger than the GFC. As just one example, NZIER forecasting the hit to the economy likely to be between two and five times greater than that of the GFC.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zea ... -economist

NZ6 wrote:
VA ... I'd expect them back on the Tasman at some point.

I don't expect VA to survive at all.

Cheers,

C.

NTLDaz

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:21 am

planemanofnz wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

This is much, much larger than the GFC. As just one example, NZIER forecasting the hit to the economy likely to be between two and five times greater than that of the GFC.

NZ6 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

The big ( indeed massive) difference between now and the GFC is that during the GFC people were still travelling..yes in smaller numbers but still travelling. The world now is essentially shut. There's no real international travel, domestic travel is virtually non existent and airlines are parking almost their whole fleet.

There is no comparison at any time in history to what is happening to airlines now.

NZ6

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:26 am

planemanofnz wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

NZ6 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

It's has nothing to do with the size difference between COVID-19 and the GFC. It's a safe assumption to say we all understand this situation is more extreme. For starters we're in lock down for the first time in history. :scratchchin:

I'm referring to the global decrease in travel demand and short sighted view on infrastructure development leaving you with your pants down when airlines return and you're left short of things such as gates and critical maintenance.

Very few airlines will survive without substantial loans and/or government support. When push comes to shove it'll be hard to see QF receive this without VA getting a slice of the pie.
Last edited by NZ6 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

NZ6

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:29 am

NTLDaz wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

NZ6 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

The big ( indeed massive) difference between now and the GFC is that during the GFC people were still travelling..yes in smaller numbers but still travelling. The world now is essentially shut. There's no real international travel, domestic travel is virtually non existent and airlines are parking almost their whole fleet.

There is no comparison at any time in history to what is happening to airlines now.

Correct. As per my last reply. I was NOT directly comparing the two situations against each other. I was commenting on AIAL's actions in deferring projects which left them short of key assets in the later stages of the last decade.

To further clarify as it's starting to head down a path it's not. I'm not saying AIAL should continue building now. I said when things start to improve.

zkncj

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:54 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12320133

Interesting NZ running a series of charters from YVR-FRA to get German tourists home from Cannda, they could have possibly taken some Germans from NZ on the way given LH are sending a 744 to AKL, possibly more than 1?

Guessing Germany has tendered this flights, out and NZ was lowest bider for the YVR-FRA flights. 25 flights over 4 weeks between YVR-FRA would be an big deal for an airline to get at the moment.

Zkpilot

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:59 am

NZ6 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

I completely agree that you can't commit to big projects at this time. But AIAL should be committing once the market starts returning to normal. Build then and don't wait otherwise demand will be higher and the gap will be greater then ever

Exactly, AIAL never ever thinks ahead, they always leave it to the last minute (at best if not leaving it far too late).
It’s still going to take them years to build the runway and terminals etc. Even if traffic in a years time is only 3/4 what it was 2 months ago that is still a hell of a lot more than it was the last time they were supposed to build in in the 2000’s!
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

NZ6

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:04 am

Zkpilot wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Exactly, AIAL never ever thinks ahead, they always leave it to the last minute (at best if not leaving it far too late).
It’s still going to take them years to build the runway and terminals etc. Even if traffic in a years time is only 3/4 what it was 2 months ago that is still a hell of a lot more than it was the last time they were supposed to build in in the 2000’s!

Two obvious points which are certain

1. AIAL is and will always be the primary airfreight and passenger gateway to New Zealand.
2. Interest rates are and will be very low over the next 12-36 months.

MillwallSean

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 am

Auckland airport management seem to focus solely on answering to shareholders. However, to me, Auckland airport sees greater responsability to its stakeholders than its shareholders and for the last two decades they have forgotten that their role is not the same as a pure cirporate entity. I am sure some governance protocol disagrees with me but thats my view.

That the company right now, during the Corona period, suspends work is natural.
But as soon as the lockdown is over, this is the type of projects needed. What better time to borrow at low rate, to build new terminals with little disruption and to be ready with an airport for all of New Zealand when the economy starts producing record results again?
Instead they look at profitiability and return to shareholders and that, quite frankly, means they disregard the stakeholders. Stakeholders such as the people of New Zealand. It is not acceptable that people from the rest of the country should walk 800 metres between terminals. That they shouldnt have seemless transfers between domestic and international.
The regions loose alot of money. I am also at a loss to why our airport cant invest in infrastructure when other privatised airports can make such investments?
I know, Sydney is even worse, but i normally dont look to the worst example to see where a company should aim.

Auckland airport should be the gateway to all of New Zealand. If they dont want to invest in that, then there are tonnes of obstructive actions that can be taken by any government to get the airport to focus on stakeholder return, rather than purely on shareholder return.
And yes I own shares in Auckland airport.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

ZK-NBT

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:23 am

darrellpearce wrote:
Auckland – Singapore 29APR20 – 25JUN20 Reduce from 14 to 11 weekly. Here is the info for Auckland - Singapore reduced by 3 flights. Lets all unite together in this fight against COVID 19. That info is on routesonline. Also note VA has also suspended it low cost carrier Tigerair Australia as well. Low cost carriers in Singapore like 3K are suspended until April 15. If you are not sure who 3K is. It is Jetstar Asia.

I think you will find Darrell that SIN won’t be operating at all, initial plans were 11 weekly reduced from 14, SIN is closed even for transit pax now. I would think SQ cargo will continue to run to AKL for freight as SQ won’t be operating pax flights either to AKL.

Zkpilot

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 am

LH 744 is enroute HND-AKL as LH9902 due in at 07:41
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

wawaman

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 pm

OKT departed early this morning as NZ6019 to TPE. Is it being returned to the owner?

VirginFlyer

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:10 pm

Zkpilot wrote:

It’s definitely made good time - it is just crossing the coast at Maraetai and about to turn final now.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

NZ6

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:53 pm

MillwallSean wrote:
Auckland airport management seem to focus solely on answering to shareholders. However, to me, Auckland airport sees greater responsability to its stakeholders than its shareholders and for the last two decades they have forgotten that their role is not the same as a pure cirporate entity. I am sure some governance protocol disagrees with me but thats my view.

That the company right now, during the Corona period, suspends work is natural.
But as soon as the lockdown is over, this is the type of projects needed. What better time to borrow at low rate, to build new terminals with little disruption and to be ready with an airport for all of New Zealand when the economy starts producing record results again?
Instead they look at profitiability and return to shareholders and that, quite frankly, means they disregard the stakeholders. Stakeholders such as the people of New Zealand. It is not acceptable that people from the rest of the country should walk 800 metres between terminals. That they shouldnt have seemless transfers between domestic and international.
The regions loose alot of money. I am also at a loss to why our airport cant invest in infrastructure when other privatised airports can make such investments?
I know, Sydney is even worse, but i normally dont look to the worst example to see where a company should aim.

Auckland airport should be the gateway to all of New Zealand. If they dont want to invest in that, then there are tonnes of obstructive actions that can be taken by any government to get the airport to focus on stakeholder return, rather than purely on shareholder return.
And yes I own shares in Auckland airport.

Exactly mate.

We can draw parallels between this and the GFC. Not directly comparing the impact on a numbers chart, some need to look beyond the obvious here.

As the tide turns on this specific situation (which it will), look to borrow or raise capital in other ways at this point and start to build then. There will be fewer large scale projects as well which will no doubt aid in lower construction costs.

If we needed a second runway 2 months ago, we'll still need one at some point. The same goes for more international gates or a new domestic terminal.

These types of events, put simply, pull the rug out from under travelling numbers with almost immediate effect, but it will recover and will exceed numbers previously seen as the global aviation industry will continue to grow. Don't wait for it to return current levels before doing anything.

See this as a get out of jail free card. Please

ZK-NBT

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:16 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

It’s definitely made good time - it is just crossing the coast at Maraetai and about to turn final now.

V/F

Given it left HND at 1614 local an 0741 arrival should be 10:27 air Bourne which is about right given a typical 11hrs block time, someone said it was at FL450 approaching AKL.

aerorobnz

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:18 pm

ZK-OKT has departed the fleet permanently.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NZ321

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:27 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

V/F

Given it left HND at 1614 local an 0741 arrival should be 10:27 air Bourne which is about right given a typical 11hrs block time, someone said it was at FL450 approaching AKL.

I don't think in all the years I flew NRT-AKL I had an 11 hr block time. Not happened once. Where did you get that information?
Plane mad!

ZK-NBT

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:58 pm

NZ321 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

I don't think in all the years I flew NRT-AKL I had an 11 hr block time. Not happened once. Where did you get that information?

Sorry you are right AKL-NRT is around 11hrs block while NRT-AKL is around 10:35, got confused.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:09 am

Emirates Changes

AKL daily A388 from 1 Jul 20
DXB-SYD-CHC - daily 77W from 1 Jul 20
DXB-DPS-AKL - daily 77W from 1 Jul 20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-27mar20/
Forum Moderator

zkncj

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:14 am

qf789 wrote:
Emirates Changes

Isn't the only chance CHC going to an 77W which was an a388? apart from EK thinking they would of restarted New Zealand by then.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:16 am

Singapore Airlines to operate SIN-AKL 3 weekly 77W 12-30 Apr 20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-27mar20/
Forum Moderator

ZK-NBT

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:35 am

zkncj wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Emirates Changes

Isn't the only chance CHC going to an 77W which was an a388? apart from EK thinking they would of restarted New Zealand by then.

I think the restart date was originally earlier maybe June? Makes sense to me that SYD-CHC will get a 77W, more freight less pax and EK will still run 2 for now A380s DXB-SYD. Things could change again though.

NZ321

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:20 am

I think all these dates are provisional and would be very surprised to see all of them materialize as listed here in the stated time-frames. As I understand it, these schedules are now in the system but could be deferred depending on outcomes of multiple variables in play. To think we will see all these flights operating with said equipment in the stated time frame is quite optimistic to put it mildly, IMHO.
Plane mad!

ZK-NBT

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:44 pm

NZ321 wrote:
I think all these dates are provisional and would be very surprised to see all of them materialize as listed here in the stated time-frames. As I understand it, these schedules are now in the system but could be deferred depending on outcomes of multiple variables in play. To think we will see all these flights operating with said equipment in the stated time frame is quite optimistic to put it mildly, IMHO.

I agree but in the meantime it’s good to know what is proposed and update as it’s made public.

DavidByrne

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:56 pm

Absolute price gouging by Qatar Airways. The Guardian is reporting that Brits in NZ have been quoted from $25,000 to $83,000(!) for a one-way flight to London. No wonder they’re ramping up services to Oz - they see mega-profits in it. Absolutely shameful.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

Sylus

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:15 pm

VA will not return to NZ after Covid-19

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/12065560 ... app-iPhone

planemanofnz

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:46 pm

Sylus wrote:

Totally expected.

Cheers,

C.

mrkerr7474

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:04 pm

Not surprised by VA news not returning to NZ.

Wonder if this would be a chance for QF to pick up and go against NZ on the WLG - BNE route? (obviously once demand starts coming back)

planemanofnz

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:07 pm

NZ6 wrote:
it will recover and will exceed numbers previously seen as the global aviation industry will continue to grow. Don't wait for it to return current levels before doing anything.

NZ6 wrote:
... obvious points which are certain:

AIAL is and will always be the primary airfreight and passenger gateway to New Zealand.

Sure, but is a second runway still going to be required after this in the medium term, even so? Unlike with the GFC, which was a cyclical downturn, we are now arguably beginning a structural shift, with permanent implications for aviation demand. For example, the Finance Minister said this week that: "New Zealand will fundamentally have to reassess what is done on these shores ... we've also got to look inside ourselves a little bit more at what we do here in New Zealand. We need to be looking at what we can and should do ourselves". That may mean shifts in export and import compositions and volumes, longer-term, which currently sustain parts of flights. There may also be permanent shifts in consumer preferences around tourism, with implications for aviation. It seems right to be cautious.

Cheers,

C.
Last edited by planemanofnz on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

planemanofnz

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:14 pm

mrkerr7474 wrote:
Not surprised by VA news not returning to NZ.

Wonder if this would be a chance for QF to pick up and go against NZ on the WLG - BNE route? (obviously once demand starts coming back)

Perhaps. I had heard DUD - BNE was one of VA's best performing Tasman flights though, so maybe that would be more of interest.

I think aviation demand between Australia and New Zealand will be one of the first corridors to rebound (questionable at what rate).

Cheers,

C.

a7ala

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:17 pm

I can’t find the article where va says they are pulling off the Tasman. All I can find on the website quoted is Scurrah saying the NZ base won’t return. That’s not the same as no Tasman operation. I wonder if the stuff article has come to the wrong conclusion?

NZ6

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:26 pm

NZ321 wrote:

It's all very fluid. The media love drama, they love worst case scenarios and we as their consumers love to be pulled in with their wild, bold and crazy headlines or statements.

I've read articles saying 12-18 months others much much shorter, a comical example is Trump who said he wanted to be up and running by Easter.

We can see an iceberg but have not idea how much is below the waterline and what countries, airlines will do and at what point.

Now we've gone into lock down and given the economic impact it has. It'll undoubtedly guide a more cautions relaxation of our border.

What I'm saying is; be open minded. We could be back in business come July, we could spend Xmas is "lockdown" or a million scenarios in between..

DavidByrne

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:31 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Sure, but is a second runway still going to be required after this in the medium term, even so? Unlike with the GFC, which was a cyclical downturn, we are now arguably beginning a structural shift, with permanent implications for aviation demand. For example, the Finance Minister said this week that: "New Zealand will fundamentally have to reassess what is done on these shores ... we've also got to look inside ourselves a little bit more at what we do here in New Zealand. We need to be looking at what we can and should do ourselves". That may mean shifts in export and import compositions and volumes, longer-term, which currently sustain parts of flights. There may also be permanent shifts in consumer preferences around tourism, with implications for aviation. It seems right to be cautious.

Absolutely agree. There has been little reported in the NZ press of the longer-term implications of the virus, but international media have noted that the drop in global GDP will almost certainly exceed the drop in GDP that occurred during the Great Depression of the 1929-35ish period (which was only 15%). If these predictions are correct (and remember that the trillions of dollars pumped into global economies so far will have to be found from somewhere, eventually - almost certainly from you and I as taxpayers) then all bets are off re the shape of the airline industry in future. I cannot see that it will just be a matter of waiting things out and then reverting to the status quo ante in a reasonably short period. We've already seen that Virgin has announced it will not return to our skies, and there will surely be other carriers that follow suit. Some of the Chinese carriers for starters. You have to worry also about the new Samoan carrier unless the company is heavily subsidised by the Samoan government. But there will almost certainly be more who either fail or who choose to withdraw some of their furthest-flung routes.

I don't see NZ itself resuming some of its current international destinations for many years. Right now, the long-haul network has an uncanny resemblance to the long-haul network at the first stage of the DC8 age in 1965/early 1966 (that was 2x weekly to LAX, 2x weekly to HKG, period) - except with many fewer Tasman connections. Obviously there will be many routes that will resume in the medium term, but some may be lost.

And as for a second runway at AKL - that's now pie-in-the-sky for the foreseeable future. AIAL will have many more pressing concerns for a good number of years (like how to balance the books) than worrying about mega-dollar investments. And don't hold your breath for a new terminal either: that will be low priority once traffic stabilises at a lower level than 2019.

mrkerr7474

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:40 pm

a7ala wrote:
I can’t find the article where va says they are pulling off the Tasman. All I can find on the website quoted is Scurrah saying the NZ base won’t return. That’s not the same as no Tasman operation. I wonder if the stuff article has come to the wrong conclusion?

Check 5 posts above your one and you will see the article

DavidByrne

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:45 pm

NZ6 wrote:
We could be back in business come July, we could spend Xmas is "lockdown" or a million scenarios in between..

Yes, it's a huge unknown. But just ending the lockdown is not going to immediately lead to a resurgence of travel. It seems highly likely that self-isolation for 14 days will remain for a long period for all arriving international passengers unless they can meet very strict guidelines about where they've been in the interim. And passengers themselves are not going to rush to fly when they know that there's a significant chance of infection from fellow passengers (there were eight positive cases amongst 360 passengers on flights that arrived during the morning a couple of days ago). Would you fly with those odds of travelling with infected people? I certainly wouldn't. And the risk of airline cabin crew being an intermediary and passing the infection between passengers has to be taken very seriously, following the news about some NZ crew.

Interesting stats I saw on line today: the largest group of cases in NZ (nearly 25%) is in the 20-29 years age group. I'm unsure how much that reflects the proportion of total travellers in the 20-29 age group, but it may also reflect anecdotal stuff which suggests that younger people are more in denial about the severity of the situation, and more inclined to flout the rules, than older age-groups. Not being able to tell the age of posters on A-net, we'll never know for sure, but it would be interesting to know the age-groups of the relative optimists vs the age-groups of the relative pessimists.

a7ala

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:04 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
a7ala wrote:

Check 5 posts above your one and you will see the article

Article has been updated now (It quotes another article which is what i was referring to). Mis-interpretation as I thought. VA hasn’t decided if they will come back or not.

NZ6

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:08 am

planemanofnz wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
it will recover and will exceed numbers previously seen as the global aviation industry will continue to grow. Don't wait for it to return current levels before doing anything.

NZ6 wrote:
... obvious points which are certain:

AIAL is and will always be the primary airfreight and passenger gateway to New Zealand.

Cheers,

C.

To answer your question, the simple answer is YES and as well being a medium term piece of infrastructure it's also a 100 year piece.

It's all well and good for Grant Robertson to make these comments at this time however there is no evidence yet that there will be a permanent shift in GLOBAL trade as a result of this pandemic or any desire for businesses here to react in this way.

You'll probably find more it's more of a political message versus any deliberate prediction in how New Zealand will or won't trade with the world in the years to come.

That all aside, New Zealand, or Auckland Airport to be more precise isn't exactly a cargo mega hub. Most movements are based on passenger demand supplemented by cargo, after all any second runway is based on business need as well as operational contingency should there be issues with the main runway. We can all recall what happened in Jan/Feb!

Tourism will return. Yes this event is a mega event and the impact is HUGE but we will continue. People said tourism would change forever after 911 which is did, how we do it changed (more security) the fact that we do it hasn't.

The Chinese, Americans and the Japanese will still demand our premium horticulture and agriculture products.

We will be okay. The world won't completely change overnight. If anything it's going to buy AIAL time.

NZ6

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:09 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Sylus wrote:

Totally expected.

Cheers,

C.

Yet no one called it.

I did say when they split with NZ over a year ago they needed to do a lot more in the market and the overall product was under par and I didn't expect them to last.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos