planemanofnz

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - March 2020

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Originair and Sunair suggested as being in an ok position in all of this.

For Originair, "People are still travelling domestically and we anticipate that there will be an ongoing requirement for essential travel and for people to travel direct on the sectors we offer.” “In addition, as we do not have an interline or codeshare agreement with any international airline, and our services are only between Nelson, Wellington and Palmerston North, generally our passengers are only going to and from these destinations.” “We already provide a charter service and we anticipate that more people may be considering chartering our aircraft in the coming weeks".

http://3rdlevelnz.blogspot.com/2020/03/ ... ponse.html

For Sunair, "As Sunair operate more as an air taxi, flying as and where passengers are offering the airline will probably weather these uncertain times better than some ...".

http://3rdlevelnz.blogspot.com/2020/03/ ... table.html

It'll be interesting to see if the pair can in fact hold on.

Cheers,

C.

DavidByrne

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:18 am

NZ6 wrote:
Reading some of the comments here... leaves me wondering if some thrive on this level of disruption and watching it all unfold with excitement or if others hold a very bleak outlook driven perhaps by fear of what's often in the media and a worst case scenario.

I'm not attacking anyone either. It's not a criticism. There's been nothing like this since WW2 so it's big!

But just because China, Italy, USA and Span lost 'control' of the virus it doesn't mean we will and we don't have to wait for the virus to be eradicated from the face of the earth before we can all come out from under out beds.

The airline doesn't yet have to sell half it's fleet off.

I agree it'll take years for the world economy to come back to where it was. It'll take months and likely years to have normal passenger flows around the world again.

But try keep a balanced view. We will be okay. We will fly again, my prediction closer to mid year than end of the year.

They're just working 1-3 months out and will reassess after that. It'll be an opportunity to make needed adjustments to the fleet and the fleet will shrink in size.

Airlines will return, not back to the Feb schedule immediately, Some may not immediately or at all but most will.

There's every possibility we'll have limited flowing passengers and our usual '24-hour Tasman' sale back to action in July with things slowly progressing forward from there onwards.

I'm struggling not to take the bleak outlook that you find somewhat negative, but everything that's happening right now suggests that it will continue to get worse for some time to come. As others have pointed out, without a vaccine, "normality" (or what passes for this in future) is just not going to be achieved. I'd also suggest you're optimistic in thinking that "most" airlines will survive. I'd desperately like to think you're right, but I strongly suspect it will only be flag carriers and that almost all others will fall away. In the context of the economic disaster that's about to become apparent, airlines will be way down the list for financial aid unless they provide "strategic" services that a country desperately needs. Yes, NZ and QF will emerge out of the mess, but many others will find it much too tough.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

planemanofnz

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:26 am

Ishrion wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
This is pretty insane.

NZ's AKL - LAX flight is now probably the only air service between Australasia/the Southwest Pacific and the entirety of the Americas. All Australia - US flights have stopped. HA and AC have also cut flights, and in the Pacific, FJ and TN have too. To South America, LA is cutting Australasian flights (though its PPT flight is still running 1x weekly, it seems).

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... a-grounded

Is maintaining AKL - LAX a requirement under the government's $900 million NZ package this week? If so, should it be?

Cheers,

C.

AA is still operating LAX-AKL until March 28 when the seasonal suspension goes into effect.

Thanks - didn't know that.

Interestingly, it also seems TN is retaining 2x weekly AKL - PPT and PPT - LAX services, but you cannot book AKL - LAX flights on TN's website. The flights are probably being kept for air cargo purposes primarily?

https://www.airtahitinui.com/nz-en/sche ... e-covid-19

Cheers,

C.
Last edited by planemanofnz on Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

planemanofnz

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:31 am

NZ321 wrote:
I am hearing the last EK service operates into AKL around 28th but this is not announced anywhere that I can find. Certainly not on Airlineroute.

Confirmed. Emirates will drop all flights to New Zealand (AKL and CHC), from 29 March until at least 30 June.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... irbus-a380

Cheers,

C.
Last edited by planemanofnz on Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

planemanofnz

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:43 am

Hopefully a one-off. Ministry of Health has mixed up airlines/routes in the contact tracing on its website, suggesting someone flew from Austria to Auckland via Doha on 17 March on flight EK448 (it should be QR920 - EK doesn't fly DOH - AKL).

:sigh:

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/dis ... rent-cases

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:51 am

Some positive, non-corona news!

Earlier this week (17 March), New Plymouth opened its new terminal. Looks fantastic. Check out Instagram for some photos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B90eodZpua6/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B90qrTqBAmt/

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... t-terminal

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:15 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
This is pretty insane.

NZ's AKL - LAX flight is now probably the only air service between Australasia/the Southwest Pacific and the entirety of the Americas. All Australia - US flights have stopped. HA and AC have also cut flights, and in the Pacific, FJ and TN have too. To South America, LA is cutting Australasian flights (though its PPT flight is still running 1x weekly, it seems).

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... a-grounded

Is maintaining AKL - LAX a requirement under the government's $900 million NZ package this week? If so, should it be?

Cheers,

C.

AA is still operating LAX-AKL until March 28 when the seasonal suspension goes into effect.

Thanks - didn't know that.

Interestingly, it also seems TN is retaining 2x weekly AKL - PPT and PPT - LAX services, but you cannot book AKL - LAX flights on TN's website. The flights are probably being kept for air cargo purposes primarily?

https://www.airtahitinui.com/nz-en/sche ... e-covid-19

Cheers,

C.

AA were to have stopped AKL on the 16/03 probably 18th ex AKL, I’m sure it was yesterday 21st I noticed it?
Re TN likely a freight link into PPT, NZ will suspend PPT tomorrow 23rd. I wonder for RAR-LAX, no tourists so any freight routed through AKL?

moo

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:06 am

Just in case anyone is interested, I flew in on EK448 today - the aircraft had what I would call a normal load (Economy was essentially packed, Business about 80%, no idea about First), based on my other flights on the same service over the past 3 years.

Heathrow Terminal 3 had no testing, and was as busy as any other time I have travelled - there was some confusion around which NZ visas were acceptable to travel, and we had to get our checkin assistant to double check before she would accept a Resident visa for boarding (she was under the impression just citizens and permanent residents were allowed). From checkin all the way to onboard the aircraft there were no healthcare checks, no temperatures taken, no warnings about social distancing etc etc etc. The shops in departures were selling unwrapped fresh fruit. The Emirates lounge was better, with chairs removed to space out groups, and all food individually packaged.

Dubai was much the same - although the Emirates website says there are temperature checks in place, in reality we went from arrivals to boarding with no healthcare checks at all. No social distancing tools in place, everyone crammed in at the gates as normal. There was an additional visa check at the gate, but it was only a cursory one.

Arrival at Auckland was little different to normal - the arrivals card handed out on the plane was pointless, as NZ has a new one with an additional page just for this crisis and the new one was only available after de boarding. However, the announcement on the aircraft was that there was an additional health form to fill in that was only available after arrival, which was infact this additional page on the newer arrivals form - you weren’t allowed to just fill out the additional page on the new form, so suddenly you have several hundred people trying to fill in a 4 page form in a corridor...

There was one additional check on arrivals in Auckland - before Immigration, you undergo a brief Q&A with an airport official who asks you basic questions about your exposure, and hands you a leaflet detailing self isolation requirements. After that point, nothing about the arrivals process was different - infact, because of the arrivals card debacle, Immigration, baggage claim and Customs were a breeze to get through - four immigration desks were open (no e-gates), and no queue. Same at Customs. I was never checked for any symptoms or had my temperature taken - this isn’t going to be stopped at the border as a result.

I did notice an increased police presence at all steps in the process tho - that was very obvious. Also arrivals was closed to most people, with family and pickups being done in the open air outside.

NZ321

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:29 am

Singapore have just closed their airport for transit passengers. Unless you are a citizen or permanent resident you will not be getting on any flights through Singapore. I suspect this may be the end of NZ's Singapore service for the time being.
Plane mad!

ZaphodHarkonnen

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:30 am

Temperature checks are not a reliable way of detecting the infection. It's a bit of security theatre that will make some feel better.

ZK-NBT

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:41 am

NZ321 wrote:
Singapore have just closed their airport for transit passengers. Unless you are a citizen or permanent resident you will not be getting on any flights through Singapore. I suspect this may be the end of NZ's Singapore service for the time being.

It was said that this route would remain open, i don’t think it’s remaining open for transit pax.

moo

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:07 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
Temperature checks are not a reliable way of detecting the infection. It's a bit of security theatre that will make some feel better.

Well, we don’t even have an antibody test yet, so other than a delayed test the best approach is identifying potential sufferers and one of the ways to do that is to identify people with elevated temperatures so they can be singled out for targeted testing and documentation. So it’s not security theatre, it is accomplishing something when used in conjunction with other means.

Kiwirob

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:30 am

planemanofnz wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
NZ321 wrote:
How long do we think NZ will keep AKL-SIN open?

Part of the government support was to keep this air link open.

I think AKL - SIN will be one to remain open throughout. It is arguably the key link for us to Asia, Europe, Africa, India and the Middle East, and Singapore seems to be managing things well/won't go into lockdown.

Despite restrictions and travel risks for the next little while, there will always be a need for a very basic underlying key air service like this (i.e. getting diplomats around, essential air cargo like medical supplies, etc).

I also note that yesterday, New Zealand and Singapore signed at Ministerial-level a commitment to keeping supply chains open and removing any restrictions on essential goods like various medical supplies.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12318653

Cheers,

C.

I hope the link through Singapore is open, I have ticket to NZ for July for the whole family. I have tried to cancel them, but can’t.

NZ516

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:59 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
FJ

Indeed - FJ dropping all international flights from this coming Tuesday until at least 31 May.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2020/

Cheers,

C.

FJ are keeping NAN-SIN running so not all cut. A lot of medical supplies will be sourced through Singapore so its a vital link that has to remain open.

afterburner33

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:19 pm

Big Jet TV video of NZ's final* departure from LHR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84XxZ5pitJQ

It's funny, I haven't used NZ1/2 in over 10 years, but it's still a sad thing for me to see.

*in all likelihood.

zkeoj

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:39 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Part of the government support was to keep this air link open.

I think AKL - SIN will be one to remain open throughout. It is arguably the key link for us to Asia, Europe, Africa, India and the Middle East, and Singapore seems to be managing things well/won't go into lockdown.

Despite restrictions and travel risks for the next little while, there will always be a need for a very basic underlying key air service like this (i.e. getting diplomats around, essential air cargo like medical supplies, etc).

I also note that yesterday, New Zealand and Singapore signed at Ministerial-level a commitment to keeping supply chains open and removing any restrictions on essential goods like various medical supplies.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12318653

Cheers,

C.

I hope the link through Singapore is open, I have ticket to NZ for July for the whole family. I have tried to cancel them, but can’t.

SIN is now closed for transit passengers...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... nsiting-in

NZ6

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:07 pm

NZ6 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Call it a "bleak outlook" if you want, but at least it's backed up by academics like those from Imperial College of London (one of the top institutions globally for pandemics), and those in government, like Health Minister David Clark, rather than what someone unnamed 'hears' or has heard.

Cheers,

C.

As for my unnamed 'hears'..... where there's smoke there's fire. I'm sure predictions and conversations were had when NZ and the Government negotiated a loan based how this may play out.

An example of this is what I mentioned in reply #204. Which was based on the "hears". Happens to be bang on. $600m plus another $300m. So was only $100m off each end.

NZ6 wrote:
[*]Government support, part loan part relief fund for core aviation/trade links to remain open. $500M to $1B

It wasn't a number plucked from thin air. It's based on information you get feed which helps build your own opinion.

My post yesterday was around the balance between pessimistic and optimistic outcomes.

DavidByrne wrote:
I'm struggling not to take the bleak outlook that you find somewhat negative, but everything that's happening right now suggests that it will continue to get worse for some time to come. As others have pointed out, without a vaccine, "normality" (or what passes for this in future) is just not going to be achieved. I'd also suggest you're optimistic in thinking that "most" airlines will survive. I'd desperately like to think you're right, but I strongly suspect it will only be flag carriers and that almost all others will fall away. In the context of the economic disaster that's about to become apparent, airlines will be way down the list for financial aid unless they provide "strategic" services that a country desperately needs. Yes, NZ and QF will emerge out of the mess, but many others will find it much too tough.

I don't want this to become tit for tat. I'll just bullet point a few thoughts on it though.

• Having a bleak outlook isn't seen by me as being negative. I'm more highlighting worst case scenarios are being thrashed out a lot more than what could evolve or when things may improve and these worst cases are well beyond what all airlines and governments are putting restrictions in place for. Like I've said twice now, it's not having a go at anyway or anything specific.
  • When I refer to "most" airlines as you quoted me, I'm talking about returning to AKL not to the skies. We primarily see these "flagship" carriers vs 2nd tier carriers here which is why I believe we will see them back. The obvious exception is the China market but again, they were doing well here and the market will grow again.
  • If you're talking about only "flagship" carriers returning to the skies why's planemanofnz posting articles saying some of a boutique carriers will be able to see it through? Experts are also predicting VA and QF will last.
  • I have no issue with those who think it'll go longer than Jun/Jul or even those who suspect it'll go much longer than that. I'm just calling it out, we've had border restrictions in place for 7 days and each day has seen more restrictions put in place. If we watch the news it's literally all we hear, read or see. It's hard if not impossible not to become consumed in it. Especially when a lot of out 'distractions' sport, social gatherings (even being at work) are being limited.
  • If we have level 4 restrictions in place until the end of the year of beyond we'll have more to worry about than airlines. Almost no retail, restaurant, cafe business will exist in the CBD let alone the local shops. Malls will be empty of renters, gyms, department stores and so on will be non existent. The commercial property market will crash, unemployment will skyrocket mortgages won't be able to be paid and the housing crisis will explode.
  • I completely expect 'social distancing' and 'self isolation' will be a phrases we're using well into 2020 and 2021. Just how and when we accept the risks of rapid and widespread infections is low enough to start returning to a normal state is unknown. This has flow on effects to aviation

I completely accept I'm not being 100% clear here. I also accept worst case could eventuate. It's really important to understand I'm not targeting anyone or anything specific here. I'm just saying. almost anything and everything you read, hear or see at the moment is negative and relates to COVID-19 but there is still hope.

QuayWeeAir

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:11 am

The Samoan Government has subsequently closed its borders to all International flights leaving only 1 flight per week for Samoa Airways and Air New Zealand to operate between Apia (APW) and Auckland.....

Tonga overnight has also cancelled all incoming international flights and closed its borders until further notice essentially cutting them off from the rest of the world.

Zkpilot

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:14 am

New Zealand is now at level 3 and will be at level 4 in 48 hours. Compulsory self isolation except essential workers. Restricted flights.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... ign=nzh_fb
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:22 am

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/412 ... n-23-march

Mar 23, 2020 1:54 PM
RNZ Live
After 48 hours, air travel will only be for essential services and freight.

VirginFlyer

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:59 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/412361/coronavirus-live-updates-in-nz-and-around-the-world-on-23-march

Mar 23, 2020 1:54 PM
RNZ Live
After 48 hours, air travel will only be for essential services and freight.

You can expect there will be announcements from airlines in the near future.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

DavidByrne

Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:17 am

Today's announcement of the implementation of "Level 4" measures on Wednesday night by the PM I think reinforces the very difficult time that airlines will have - we will at best have a few flights to Australia and LA (how long will that one last?), plus a very skeleton domestic service, catering only to "essential services", in my view. It will be very interesting to see what NZ's formal reaction to this is. They're down another 18% today on the share market, though I accept this tells us nothing except what the sentiment of investors is.

zkncj

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:42 am

Zkpilot wrote:
New Zealand is now at level 3 and will be at level 4 in 48 hours. Compulsory self isolation except essential workers. Restricted flights.

Would expect by next week NZ to have completely stoped operations, expect for Government charters.

planemanofnz

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:43 am

zkncj wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

Would expect by next week NZ to have completely stoped operations, expect for Government charters.

Maybe. Though, unlike QF, NZ doesn't have a dedicated cargo unit, and New Zealand still relies on air services for significant amounts of products (like pharmaceuticals). There are also 80,000 New Zealanders overseas right now, within which a significant portion will want to get home - though charters may be the way to go for them.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:45 am

NZ516 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
FJ

Indeed - FJ dropping all international flights from this coming Tuesday until at least 31 May.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2020/

Cheers,

C.

FJ are keeping NAN-SIN running so not all cut. A lot of medical supplies will be sourced through Singapore so its a vital link that has to remain open.

True. The same will be the case for NZ and New Zealand - even with transits through SIN not allowed anymore, air cargo through SIN will necessitate keeping open an AKL - SIN flight, IMHO.

Cheers,

C.

zkncj

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:05 am

planemanofnz wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

Maybe. Though, unlike QF, NZ doesn't have a dedicated cargo unit, and New Zealand still relies on air services for significant amounts of products (like pharmaceuticals). There are also 80,000 New Zealanders overseas right now, within which a significant portion will want to get home - though charters may be the way to go for them.

Cheers,

C.

Maybe an daily 77W/77E between AKL-CHC to one keep crew current, plus also take an decent amount of cargo.

We could always see the DHL 767 do a couple of runs up/down the country, most of its current work is at night.

groupguy

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:29 am

didn't see it in any thread above, but there are some very low fares out of Australia to USA in peak season December to January, but nothing like it from NZ to USA.

So it seems, for kiwis not worried about how long it takes to get to USA, or wanting a stop in Australia, they could get cheap or frequent flyer tickets to Australia & still be $300 to $500 per person in front. Makes a huge difference to groups of people, which is my area of expertise.

Seems in

jimmyah

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:06 am

Had a quick look on NZs website, still heaps of seats AKL-CHC/WLG and return. 2 787 flights AKL-CHC.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:52 am

I expect NZ to curtail flights pretty heavily come tomorrow. There'll still be some for freight and essential personnel movements. But probably no more than one or two a day between the main centres. And possibly less than that for the regions. Kiwirail are probably looking at upping their train lengths. :/

DavidByrne

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:14 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
I expect NZ to curtail flights pretty heavily come tomorrow. There'll still be some for freight and essential personnel movements. But probably no more than one or two a day between the main centres. And possibly less than that for the regions. Kiwirail are probably looking at upping their train lengths. :/

Kiwirail have cancelled all three of their long-distance trains.

zkncj

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:15 am

With the next wave of reductions it will be interesting we're NZ's fleet gets parked up, surely ground space at AKL would start to become an issue?

NZ321

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

According to their website it will be the opposite - they are putting on more flights to help New Zealanders to get home before lock-down.

But what about those who are tourists or those who are half-way? What happens then? Those poor people. Being one of them the past few days - I can fully identify - not going to be an easy time for those on whom we depend for our tourist dollar. No coherent instructions from immigration to hotels from government. Just the usual make it up as we go along. Clearly we are not well set up for this kind of scenario. I'll leave it there. But it's gonna be rough for some of these folks. Those of us who call this place home and have whanau here - we are fine. And for those from elsewhere who were welcomed here - what happens now? How do we look after these people? There are many.
Plane mad!

NZ6

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:38 pm

Zkpilot wrote:

Fingers crossed these extreme measures will mean a faster resolution.

I don't know anyone who didn't want this to go ahead. Mainly for health reasons but also because it's been inevitable to some extent. Glad we didn't have to wait weeks for it to happen and we've just gone hard and done it.

Zkpilot

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:34 am

NZ6 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

Fingers crossed these extreme measures will mean a faster resolution.

I don't know anyone who didn't want this to go ahead. Mainly for health reasons but also because it's been inevitable to some extent. Glad we didn't have to wait weeks for it to happen and we've just gone hard and done it.

Absolutely. Take care everyone

NTLDaz

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:24 am

NZ6 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Judging by that it’s canceled until May 31st so the current plan looks to be resume from June 1st, however that will be far from certain.

Ah, indeed - I can book flights on QR's website ex-AKL from June. But yes, suggest it is highly likely any re-start will be much later than June!

Interesting that of all the Australasian ports served non-stop from DOH, only AKL was cut. Surely places like ADL/PER are doing it just as tough.

Cheers,

C.

What's making you say this with such confidence?

suggest it is highly likely any re-start will be much later than June!

I keep hearing noise that an optimistic timeframe for border restrictions to be lifted is in June or with a slight delay into July.

Of course, it's a working estimate and as it unfolds it could move but if the tactics being used now are effective that's around when we should see the results. It's still over 12 weeks away.

Hong Kong, who have been praised for their response, provide a cautionary tale. They flattened the curve, started easing restrictions and then saw infections skyrocket. That cautionary tale will likely lead to restrictions being in place longer than thought.

NZ have gone hard whilst infection numbers aren't high. Hopefully that pays off but it will be for nought if they start letting people back in from countries with high infection rates too soon.

AIRT0M

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 am

Apparently there will be a repatriation flight FRA-HND-AKL-HND-FRA between 25-28 March with a Lufthansa 747. Would this be the first LH flight to NZ ever?

Edit: according to the German Embassy in Wellington the first flight will leave Auckland on the 27th. More flights are planned, from AKL and CHC.

Zkpilot

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:19 am

AIRT0M wrote:
Apparently there will be a repatriation flight FRA-HND-AKL-HND-FRA between 25-28 March with a Lufthansa 747. Would this be the first LH flight to NZ ever?

Edit: according to the German Embassy in Wellington the first flight will leave Auckland on the 27th. More flights are planned, from AKL and CHC.

NZ will also be doing AKL-YVR-FRA using 777 as repatriation charter flights

ZK-NBT

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:00 am

AIRT0M wrote:

Now I’d love to be able to see that. HND is an interesting stopover point, usually so restricted but with the general service reduction I guess they can do this.

First LH pax flight I believe ever, LH cargo served AKL 2001/05 with an M11F.

planemanofnz

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:20 am

NTLDaz wrote:
That cautionary tale will likely lead to restrictions being in place longer than thought.

Totally agree - I can see this playing out for more than just four weeks.

Take care everyone - kia kaha.

Cheers,

C.

VirginFlyer

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:16 pm

AIRT0M wrote:

Let’s hope the plane spotters are sensible and don’t break restrictions to see this...

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

zkeoj

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:20 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
AIRT0M wrote:

Let’s hope the plane spotters are sensible and don’t break restrictions to see this...

V/F

Exactly what I thought. If we are lucky we may get a photo from somebody who is working at the airport anyway, but I can also only urge everybody to stay away unless you have to work...

Stay safe!

NZ6

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 pm

NTLDaz wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Ah, indeed - I can book flights on QR's website ex-AKL from June. But yes, suggest it is highly likely any re-start will be much later than June!

Interesting that of all the Australasian ports served non-stop from DOH, only AKL was cut. Surely places like ADL/PER are doing it just as tough.

Cheers,

C.

What's making you say this with such confidence?

suggest it is highly likely any re-start will be much later than June!

I keep hearing noise that an optimistic timeframe for border restrictions to be lifted is in June or with a slight delay into July.

Of course, it's a working estimate and as it unfolds it could move but if the tactics being used now are effective that's around when we should see the results. It's still over 12 weeks away.

Hong Kong, who have been praised for their response, provide a cautionary tale. They flattened the curve, started easing restrictions and then saw infections skyrocket. That cautionary tale will likely lead to restrictions being in place longer than thought.

NZ have gone hard whilst infection numbers aren't high. Hopefully that pays off but it will be for nought if they start letting people back in from countries with high infection rates too soon.

HKG appear to have done the right thing but perhaps lowered their guard too early as the rest of the world was just starting to ramp up.

Fingers crossed in another month with restrictions across the globe now coming into effect that shouldn't happen.

Zkpilot

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:12 pm

zkeoj wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
AIRT0M wrote:

V/F

Exactly what I thought. If we are lucky we may get a photo from somebody who is working at the airport anyway, but I can also only urge everybody to stay away unless you have to work...

Stay safe!

Someone could just happen to be driving by themselves to go to the supermarket or petrol station just as the plane was coming in if they were really keen...

ZaphodHarkonnen

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:38 pm

As long as you maintain distance from others and don't otherwise cause an issue the police won't care. Remember we're allowed to leave the house for walks and such. You just have to remember to maintain distance. Like in a landing or take off pattern. :P

zkeoj

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:55 pm

For once I am impressed with AIAL: I had to cancel a car park for the obvious reasons, and the refund was in my account in less than 24 hours :-)

DavidByrne

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:47 am

Interesting thought - could there be a limited role for NZ in the Australian domestic market in a post-Covid-19 world if VA fails to pull through? Not that I'm willing that to happen; far from it. And yeah, I know, been there, done that, twice, but this situation could be a whole new ballgame.

pbm

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:19 am

DavidByrne wrote:
Interesting thought - could there be a limited role for NZ in the Australian domestic market in a post-Covid-19 world if VA fails to pull through? Not that I'm willing that to happen; far from it. And yeah, I know, been there, done that, twice, but this situation could be a whole new ballgame.

Third time lucky? I’d be shocked if they had another go.

NZ6

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:40 am

DavidByrne wrote:

There'll be light demand for a while and excess equipment available.

I don't think QF or NZ would be interested into a turf battle and QF will easily meet demand especially as International will likely take longer to warm up again.

Therefore I don't see any 'role' for NZ.

Happy to be proven otherwise.

Toenga

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:59 am

Just having any air service in NZ and Australia in the foreseeable future is the best we can hope for. Wishing for the reestablishment of it being a competitive market is not realistic.

VirginFlyer

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:25 am

Zkpilot wrote:
zkeoj wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

Stay safe!

Someone could just happen to be driving by themselves to go to the supermarket or petrol station just as the plane was coming in if they were really keen...

I can report the lookouts on Puhinui Road were both coned off this evening, so that won’t be an option. Don’t forget that there may be checkpoints too - people in our organisation who are in essential roles are being issued with letters advising their purpose for travel. I would say let’s hope for an airport worker with a good camera.

V/F