Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

edealinfo

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - March 2020

Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:51 pm

edealinfo wrote:

[i]Grant Thornton’s CEO in a tweet apologised to the grounded airline’s employees, “I’m sorry to report but I fear we are very near the end of the road for #JetAirways- the proverbial ‘chicken or egg’ is what killed the airline- my apologies to all the employees in particular that we @GrantThorntonIN couldn’t do better for you.”

I have the highest respect for someone who comes clean, and communicates, even if it means bad news. Hats off for your condor and summarizing the issue in an easily understood tweet.

Rishul93

Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:58 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Rishul93 wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

Strange comment ..?

Isn't it baking under the Delhi sun and it will be like that until the geniuses at Vistara,who had over a year lead time to plan, decide where it will eventually fly? OR , are you saying the haze in Delhi from pollution, etc., is so much that you can't actually see the sun (so being sun-drenched is an odd phrase)?

What makes you so confident that Vistara has no clue about what to do with the aircraft? Quite a large gap between not announced and no clue?

edealinfo

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:12 pm

https://simpleflying.com/ana-jal-domest ... eductions/

Even Japanese are not flying domestically. Vistara was lucky in dodging a bu$$et.

edealinfo

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Rishul93 wrote:

What makes you so confident that Vistara has no clue about what to do with the aircraft? Quite a large gap between not announced and no clue?

Good question. The answer is numerous news reports, many of which state that the management is still exploring and can't decide among Frankfurt, London, Moscow, and Paris. Roughly 1 1/2 months ago, Japan was their sure bet (that suggested a first flight from Delhi to Tokyo followed by a Mumbai to Tokyo) flight but no clarity as to which Tokyo airport; then, in the past 2 to 3 weeks, Japan was ruled out (now understandable), and so the preferred routes were shifted westwards. One, we know would be London but again no clarity if it would be LHR of LGW and no clue either as to the second destination. The Vistrara chairman just rattled a choice of possible destinations. If Vistara has made its decision on routes, what's the big deal about announcing it to reporters who ask specifically about it. What's the advantage of keeping it a mystery? they are under no obligation to start seat-sales if they merely announce the places they will fly with their aircraft. The Vistara Chairman's announcement clearly reflected that they have not nailed down any route as yet.

dtw2hyd

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:12 pm

edealinfo wrote:
142857 wrote:
I hear that Air India has recently started upgrading their 787's GEnx engines to 70000 lbs max-thrust-rating from current 67000, by incorporating necessary hardware and software changes.

Probably already completed in 2-3 aircraft out of 27.

Not sure if the last-delivered 3-4 aircraft (VT-ANY, ANZ, NAA, NAC) are already rated at 70000

And what will such a change achieve?

Just helping out the buyer with taxpayer funds. While at it, get new interiors for all planes.

TEMPO

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:12 pm

TEMPO wrote:
Speculation has begun on another thread in this forum that the London Heathrow slot pair sold by Air New Zealand to an undisclosed buyer for US$27 million could have been sold to Vistara.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhorton ... 6c3c2e763d

In an apparent end to the speculation, from an Instagram account:

zul_aviation
Air New Zealand have confirmed that the 1050 GMT slot at Heathrow Airport has been sold to Oman Air for $27million.

Talking to an airline representative, as the airline is due to exit the UK market; Air New Zealand (ANZ) has unfortunately made losses and has been unprofitable. After almost 40 years of service Air New Zealand will end its London route in October 2020.

trinidadeG

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:39 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Isn't it baking under the Delhi sun and it will be like that until the geniuses at Vistara,who had over a year lead time to plan, decide where it will eventually fly?

LOL! Just because they've not made their plans public, does it mean that they've not decided?

Firstly, What If Vistara merely WANTED (for their own, good reasons) to only fly the Dreamliner on DEL-BOM or DEL/BOM-SIN for a few months before eventually launching long-haul in W20? why should they have announced details of their long-haul intentions back in W19 itself?

Secondly, Induction of a new aircraft type into an airline takes time. In this case, not only is the airline inducting a new type, but Vistara -being a relatively new airline - is making a big jump; from operating single-aisle A320s on regional-international routes to wide-body, B789s flying intercontinental long-haul!!

Certainly, the first airframe delivered to the company will be used by the company for a 'type familiarisation' process for employees across the board - from operations management to ground-staff - BEFORE they can commence commercial operations. To add to that, bringing a plane into India entails a small mountain of paperwork procedures that results in every imported aircraft 'baking in the sun' for a few days ( I guess you already knew that, right?)

edealinfo

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:39 pm

TEMPO wrote:
TEMPO wrote:
Speculation has begun on another thread in this forum that the London Heathrow slot pair sold by Air New Zealand to an undisclosed buyer for US$27 million could have been sold to Vistara.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhorton ... 6c3c2e763d

In an apparent end to the speculation, from an Instagram account:

zul_aviation
Air New Zealand have confirmed that the 1050 GMT slot at Heathrow Airport has been sold to Oman Air for $27million.

Talking to an airline representative, as the airline is due to exit the UK market; Air New Zealand (ANZ) has unfortunately made losses and has been unprofitable. After almost 40 years of service Air New Zealand will end its London route in October 2020.

Ha! Weren't they also the ones that shelled out $75 Million for the most expensive slot ever sold at London?

Thanks for sharing the news.

9w748capt

Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:26 pm

edealinfo wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
Khajuraho group of monuments

Hopefully, someday.

There are so many other beautiful sights in India that could could market to the world if only they they maintained them well. They should led corporates "adopt" these sites if the Govt doesn't have enough money to invest in them. The corporates would love chipping in -- its their "social responsibility" contribution --- and the resulting goodwill is their payback.

Kudos to the Dear Leader for his sanitation initiative. I know the Government has achieved a lot of goals with regard to construction of toilets but hopefully people are actually using them!

Just curious - what's the ulterior motive behind your constant references to Modi as Dear Leader, implying that he's a North Korean style dictator?

edealinfo

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:11 am

Thai Airways announces mass cancellations of flights to India [This may be sweet relief to passengers who had booked their flights on Thai (and had not yet cancelled but had no intention to fly) and will now presumably be eligible for a full refund. I think a lesson to be learned is if you hold a ticket on a flight that you don't intend to fly on, you should wait until the shortest allowable period of time until the flight (per the tickets rules) before making the cancellation.]

Have Indigo, Vistara, Spicejet, Go and Air India canceled flights to Thailand?

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news20/93 ... ways.shtml

Bangkok-Bengaluru: Cancellation of flight TG325 on 9, 10, 12, 16, 17, 19, 23, 24, 26, 30, 31 March 2020 and flight TG326 on 10, 11, 13, 17, 18, 20, 24, 25, 27, 31 March 2020 and 1 April 2020

Bangkok-Kolkata: Cancellation of flight TG313 on 9, 11, 13, 16, 18, 20, 23, 25, 27, 30 March 2020 and flight TG314 on 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 26, 28, 31 March 2020.

Bangkok-Hyderabad: Cancellation of flight TG329 on 10, 12, 16, 17, 19, 23, 24, 26, 30, 31 March 2020 and flight TG330 on 11, 13, 17, 18, 20, 24, 25, 27, 31 March 2020 and 1 April 2020.

Bangkok-Chennai: Cancellation of flight TG337 on 9, 11, 13, 16, 18, 20, 23, 25, 27, 30 March 2020 and flight TG338 on 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 26, 28, 31 March 2020.

Bangkok-New Delhi: Cancellation of flight TG335 on 6, 13, 20, 27 March 2020 and flight TG336 on 7, 14, 21, 28 March 2020.

BawliBooch

Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:38 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Just helping out the buyer with taxpayer funds. While at it, get new interiors for all planes.

As the National Carrier, Air India is morally obligated to help out not just the taxpayer, but also the Govt's cronies.

Does anyone remember the time when Jet Airways (RIP) first began operating to LHR? Jet got A340-300's from South African but failed to acquire slots at LHR. Air India stepped in to help, by wet leasing the Jet Airways A340's for 2 of the 4 LHR ops (back then). Jet ended up taking over the slots in one year. If my memory is correct, AI121 was operated by Jet Airways A340 which later became 9W118. :)

We don't have a benevolent minister like Praful Patel now, but I am sure Air India can be convinced to do the same for Vistara and its 787-9's.

JOYA380B747

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:22 am

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 532303.cms

PNQ now is an airport (coincidentally one of India's busiest) that does NOT have vehicle parking facility currently, and will not for a year at least. So much so that AAI is now dictating travelers how they are supposed to travel to the airport. This is India ladies and gentlement where you do not have parking for an airport of 10 million pax/ year.

avier

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:55 am

trinidadeG wrote:
.... that results in every imported aircraft 'baking in the sun' for a few days ( I guess you already knew that, right?)

You should know by now that he loves adding masala to every bit of news. A true indian journo indeed. :)

FligtReporter

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:04 am

JOYA380B747 wrote:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/pune/avoid-personal-cars-for-going-to-airport-authorities/articleshow/74532303.cms

PNQ now is an airport (coincidentally one of India's busiest) that does NOT have vehicle parking facility currently, and will not for a year at least. So much so that AAI is now dictating travelers how they are supposed to travel to the airport. This is India ladies and gentlement where you do not have parking for an airport of 10 million pax/ year.

I never thought it would be a news one day but having gone through PNQ a few times I have to say my relatives' heads are down with shame when I ask them "Are there any plans to connect this airport with Metro ?" and their response is "Not Possible Unless Pune Gets a New Airport because this one is run by Air Force"

That is a pitty indeed.Looking at GOI,PNQ,BOM,CCU also HYD and BLR which must NOT ONLY have a great parking facility but also a Metro connection is must but sadly none of these Major cities have em.

These are the only 3 Cities that I have been to where I have seen Direct Metro Connection With the Airport
1. LKO ( LUCKNOW aka My Home base )
2. IGI ( DELHI )
3. MAA ( CHENNAI )

VTCIE

Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:54 pm

edealinfo wrote:
I almost didn't want to post this because VTCIE would be coming after me for this as it is more speculation on LHR slots (of which he made clear he was tired of and din't want it posted on this forum) but then I said to myself, if we all had to listen to him, we would never be able to get the chatter and clues.

"Flybe grounding could give Vistara an elusive slot at London Heathrow"
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 10241.html

Haha! Not offended in the least. By all means speculate whether Vistara’s LHR slot, if at all, will come from Flybe or Air New Zealand or anyone else (though Oman Air has picked up the NZ slot now). But do change the topic after a while!
Last edited by VTCIE on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edealinfo

Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:54 pm

avier wrote:
trinidadeG wrote:
.... that results in every imported aircraft 'baking in the sun' for a few days ( I guess you already knew that, right?)

You should know by now that he loves adding masala to every bit of news. A true indian journo indeed. :)

Even though it has been baking in the sun for just two week after delivery, I was projecting outwards, and not taking just the 2 weeks and assuming that is the max limit for which it is baked. Certainly, a vey different perspective from yours.

VTCIE

Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:59 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
JOYA380B747 wrote:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/pune/avoid-personal-cars-for-going-to-airport-authorities/articleshow/74532303.cms

I never thought it would be a news one day but having gone through PNQ a few times I have to say my relatives' heads are down with shame when I ask them "Are there any plans to connect this airport with Metro ?" and their response is "Not Possible Unless Pune Gets a New Airport because this one is run by Air Force"

That is a pitty indeed.Looking at GOI,PNQ,BOM,CCU also HYD and BLR which must NOT ONLY have a great parking facility but also a Metro connection is must but sadly none of these Major cities have em.

These are the only 3 Cities that I have been to where I have seen Direct Metro Connection With the Airport
2. IGI ( DELHI )
3. MAA ( CHENNAI )

JOYA380B747 wrote:

PNQ is the only big Indian metro that is hamstrung by such a small and constrained airport. Reminds me of TXL in Berlin. At least Brandenburg is going to come up, but Purandar, God knows!

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:03 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

As the National Carrier, Air India is morally obligated to help out not just the taxpayer, but also the Govt's cronies.

Well, AI should milk this opportunity to fix all AOGs and get new cabin interiors. Just tell GoI, TATAs want it. PMO will write the check.

VTORD

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm

GoI has permitted full self handling of ground service by foreign carriers:

https://twitter.com/SarinAndCo/status/1 ... 59074?s=20

If you click on the picture in the tweet, the second page has the English version.

FligtReporter

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:16 pm

VTCIE wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
JOYA380B747 wrote:

2. IGI ( DELHI )
3. MAA ( CHENNAI )

JOYA380B747 wrote:

PNQ is the only big Indian metro that is hamstrung by such a small and constrained airport. Reminds me of TXL in Berlin. At least Brandenburg is going to come up, but Purandar, God knows!

My folks at PNQ told me that this new proposed airport nearby Purandar is supposedly 50 Something KMs from the city and even if its built ( Which they told me,may take about 50 Years lol ) it will be very difficult for city residents to reach unless there is a metro connection and given the high improbability of the city expanding towards the proposed new airport site with geographical cobstraints and terrain its very near to impossible that this new airport would come up anytime soon so they are gonna be stuck with this Air force Station cum Airport forever.

They did tell me that because of all this mess they might never get a wide body aircraft or many intrrnational airlines unless they get a new airport and that obviously is a distant dream...PNQ has to be the unluckiest City in the country and its really sad that such a city is stuck with such a poor infrastructure !

CPS001

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:41 pm

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2020/03/0 ... -revealed/

• Vistara to start B789 trial flights in mid March from DEL to BOM and ATQ
• Longhaul postponed to May due to Covid, first destination London or Tokyo
• No crew rests on first 6 B789
• First A321neo to be delivered in April, will operate DEL-Moscow
• A321neo will feature Collins Aerospace Diamond seats in business class and Collons Meridian variants in economy and premium economy

sand26391

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:04 pm

BLR Airport website gets a new and refresh look
https://www.bengaluruairport.com/

JOYA380B747

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:34 pm

CPS001 wrote:
• A321neo will feature Collins Aerospace Diamond seats in business class and Collons Meridian variants in economy and premium economy

Dunno about you all but currently I am more intrigued about the new A321neos of UK. Pictured below are the Collins Diamond seats for reference. Would be a brilliant NB J product for Indian aviation. Curious as to which other routes will this be seen in.

https://www.rockwellcollins.com/-/media ... 8b296e03ec

edealinfo

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:43 pm

CPS001 wrote:
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2020/03/08/maturity-of-indian-aviation-on-display-as-vistara-787-interior-revealed/

Nice summary of the new information.

I am still surprised, however, that Tokyo is mentioned. Hasn’t demand little dropped to a trickle? Who knows whether the coronovirus would clear in tone for a May commencement. This tells me that hadn’t planned adequately for destinations other than London and Japan so if one slipped through the cracks there would be an immediate back up destination.

Separately, I was surprised that there is a large demand for business class from DEL to ATQ? What’s the profile of these passengers to ATQ?

edealinfo

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:48 pm

CPS001 wrote:
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2020/03/08/maturity-of-indian-aviation-on-display-as-vistara-787-interior-revealed/

Indigo also said they are interested in Moscow and they too have the A321neo so I wouldn’t be surprised if Indigo plays spoilsport, starts service first, and undercuts Vistara.

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:06 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Separately, I was surprised that there is a large demand for business class from DEL to ATQ? What’s the profile of these passengers to ATQ?

I guess the UK is trying to prove its loyalty to Puri. WB on dom will be a loss-maker anyway, why not use it to win some <off-topic> capital.

Puri is bringing bacon home by the tons just like PP. Of course, PP lacks the purity Puri has. Poor Raju should have accepted the $10B investment in Andhra Pradesh for Qatar's bilateral increase.

http://www.southreport.com/qatar-to-inv ... a-pradesh/

fortunerunnner

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:34 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
My folks at PNQ told me that this new proposed airport nearby Purandar is supposedly 50 Something KMs from the city and even if its built ( Which they told me,may take about 50 Years lol ) it will be very difficult for city residents to reach unless there is a metro connection and given the high improbability of the city expanding towards the proposed new airport site with geographical cobstraints and terrain its very near to impossible that this new airport would come up anytime soon so they are gonna be stuck with this Air force Station cum Airport forever.

They did tell me that because of all this mess they might never get a wide body aircraft or many intrrnational airlines unless they get a new airport and that obviously is a distant dream...PNQ has to be the unluckiest City in the country and its really sad that such a city is stuck with such a poor infrastructure !

While new site as Purandar is far its not that different from HYD or BLR when it comes to distance from the city. There are plans to create expressway/ring road which will connect the city with the airport so it wont be too difficult to reach there if and when airport gets constructed. As far as your other assertion about being unluckiest city in the country, its holds true as its only metro which is not a capital city of their state so it lacks necessary attention from the political establishment. As a NRI of Puneri background, this hurts as I needlessly have to waste 4-5 hours on top of taking almost 24 hour flights to reach my hometown from BOM or fly with AI via Delhi (UA recently became an option but it lacks 2 bag allowance which is a must for returning NRI).

edealinfo

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:26 pm

fortunerunnner wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

While new site as Purandar is far its not that different from HYD or BLR when it comes to distance from the city. There are plans to create expressway/ring road which will connect the city with the airport so it wont be too difficult to reach there if and when airport gets constructed. As far as your other assertion about being unluckiest city in the country, its holds true as its only metro which is not a capital city of their state so it lacks necessary attention from the political establishment. As a NRI of Puneri background, this hurts as I needlessly have to waste 4-5 hours on top of taking almost 24 hour flights to reach my hometown from BOM or fly with AI via Delhi (UA recently became an option but it lacks 2 bag allowance which is a must for returning NRI).

Why do 10 m people need to move further for the airport. Why can’t the less than 10k air personnel move to the new airport and let the population fully enjoy PNQ?

edealinfo

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:36 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

I guess the UK is trying to prove its loyalty to Puri. WB on dom will be a loss-maker anyway, why not use it to win some <off-topic> capital.

Puri is bringing bacon home by the tons just like PP. Of course, PP lacks the purity Puri has. Poor Raju should have accepted the $10B investment in Andhra Pradesh for Qatar's bilateral increase.

http://www.southreport.com/qatar-to-inv ... a-pradesh/

I thought PP was the worst (or depending on how you see it- best for his constituents — cronies, Naresh Goyal, etc, and the residents of Nagpur). It is just the PP seems to be smart in the sense that he was never caught with his pants down.

If Raju the new CM of AP?

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 pm

edealinfo wrote:

MoCA before Suresh Prabhu. VGA never got international service, Indigo ran Singapore charter for few months on State paid gap fund. Imagine if Raju was shameless as Puri, VGA would have had several international routes including Europe.
Last edited by dtw2hyd on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaliguyNYC

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:
CPS001 wrote:

Dunno about you all but currently I am more intrigued about the new A321neos of UK. Pictured below are the Collins Diamond seats for reference. Would be a brilliant NB J product for Indian aviation. Curious as to which other routes will this be seen in.

Finally lie flat seats on an Indian NB. Good for Vistara. This can be deployed on a lot of narrow body routes.

subramak1

Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:04 pm

edealinfo wrote:
fortunerunnner wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Why do 10 m people need to move further for the airport. Why can’t the less than 10k air personnel move to the new airport and let the population fully enjoy PNQ?

PNQ is the airbase that protect Mumbai and Bombay High oil fields and is geared towards to that . PNQ airbase may not be sufficient to be a full fledged airport a la bangalore/ hyderabad

KK

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:25 am

subramak1 wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
fortunerunnner wrote:

PNQ is the airbase that protect Mumbai and Bombay High oil fields and is geared towards to that . PNQ airbase may not be sufficient to be a full fledged airport a la bangalore/ hyderabad

KK

Pune will never be BLR. Having said that PNQ will be perfectly appropriate if used 100% for civilian sites. As for protecting sites, a further 50 km out for defense ain't going to make a difference. Fight jets fly at mach speed. In 2 minutes they can probably cover that distance. It takes longer for the pilots to wake up. Defense needs to yield to the citizens not the other way round, especially since they lost face with Pak shooting down their fighter jet.

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:26 am

Indigo in a BIG soup as Qatar bans Indians from entering Qatar (along with citizens of a few other countries)

https://simpleflying.com/qatar-coronavirus-flight-ban/

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:30 am

British Airways gobbles up Flybe's Heathrow slot pairs. All the the Visatra geniuses now have is their lottery hopes.

https://simpleflying.com/british-airways-flybe-slots/

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:36 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

MoCA before Suresh Prabhu. VGA never got international service, Indigo ran Singapore charter for few months on State paid gap fund. Imagine if Raju was shameless as Puri, VGA would have had several international routes including Europe.

Why do you think Puri is shameless? As far as I can tell, the only way he has thrown his weight around is in starting a couple of Air India flights from ATQ. What am I missing?
Last edited by edealinfo on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 am

https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/c ... ion-119752

Chennai’s second airport plans to include Cheyyar as an option (Located 75 kilometres from the existing airport at Chennai, is being considered since the government already has possession of around 1500 acres of land of the minimum Central govt specified of 3,500 acres)
Earlier, the second airport to serve the city was touted to come up in Parandur village in Kancheepuram.

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 am

Land records set to delay Ludhiana airport

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... 534084.cms?

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:45 am

AGARTALA airport is huge. Love the size but is there demand to fly there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

VTORD

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:19 am

JOYA380B747 wrote:

I can't see them not sending this product to SIN. Another good candidate would be DXB (there might be just enough breathing space in the bilateral to tolerate an increase of about 30 seats). I can think of the following few destinations that could be prime candidates for this in no particular order:
KUL
ICN
HKG
FRA
MUC

Heck this could be the right size plane to bring back 9W's PNQ-SIN rotation.

BawliBooch

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:44 am

subramak1 wrote:

KK

There are 2 airfields in Nashik one of which (HAL Ozar) is currently under used can be easily upgraded to play the role currently played by PNQ airbase - ie 2 min interceptor coverage for oil fields in Bombay High. If the Air Force vacates PNQ, there is enough space to upgrade the airport+terminal to international standards. Issue is new airport development in Rajgurunagar/Purandar is more lucrative for politicians. The last time this plan was proposed, the excuse used was the presence of the Southern Command HQ in Pune allowing for "joint ops" - an exercise that has remained theoretical for past 35 years! :)

It is not just length. The PNQ runway will have to be upgraded to handle widebody landings. In the early 90's, Indian Airlines operated a A300B2 for a military charter as a test and it punched holes in the runway! Air India operated an A310 4/5 years later on the inaugural BOM-PNQ-DXQ route and it seemed to have gone better. Later replaced with AIX 737-800.

FligtReporter

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:47 am

fortunerunnner wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

It indeed is a sad state of affair..Why cant the military build its airbase at the new pune airport site an let the existing airport be converted into a full fledged intl airport ? I believe the locaiton of PNQ is perfect in the city..God knows what was the planner thinking when they developed this airfield..I mean didnt they think that they would require a specific civilian airport for the city ?

Even in my city LKO we have two airports though its smaller than PNQ -:

1. CCS which is in the south used only for CIVIL USE.
2. Bakshi Ka Talab IAF air base which is in the North used by Air Force.

Also because DEL is about 400 somethin KMs frm LKO but thankfully LKO is a capital of its own state so we do get fair amount of INTL flights like Saudia,Oman,Thai,FlyDubai but yeah to fly to Canada/States it isnt too hard to fly to DEL as it is just around 45min away and the reason why I brought the proximity of a MAJOR INTL AIRPORT in this post is to refer to the hesitant behaviour of the authorities in developing PNQ with much uregncy as its proximity to not only the state capital but the Financial capital of the country BOM and with NAVI MUMBAI Airport on the papers I feel MAH gov and politcians feel more need and attention to be given to NM Airport than developing new Pune Airport.In a way PNQ is unluky because of its geography being too close to its Big Bro BOM and BOM is like that favourite first kid of the parents aka MAH GOV and IND GOV.

While the Youngest NAG and IXU enjoy their own good life far away from these two biggies.

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:53 am

edealinfo wrote:
Indigo in a BIG soup as Qatar bans Indians from entering Qatar (along with citizens of a few other countries)

https://simpleflying.com/qatar-coronavirus-flight-ban/

I am puzzled by Watar’s decision to ban Indians. india just Has 45 cases whereas the USA has 722 cases but no ban applies to Americans . Go figure!
Last edited by edealinfo on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:57 am

BawliBooch wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
What is the English translation of Bawli Booch. It has a nice ring tone but My guess is it is not a complimentary phrase (nothing on your personally - just commenting on the alias)

Firstly, it doesn't mean what you think it does! :P It sounds naughty but really is not!

Clue - its in Haryanvi.

I really have no clue! It sounds something like the equivalent of Mungherilal

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:02 am

Indigo and Vistara announce a slew of flights
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.financ ... 3243/lite/

edealinfo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:05 am

Pakyong airport is back online in Sikkim but no airline wants to fly to the ghost airport

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.financ ... 3243/lite/

FligtReporter

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:06 am

BawliBooch wrote:
subramak1 wrote:

KK

There are 2 airfields in Nashik one of which (HAL Ozar) is currently under used can be easily upgraded to play the role currently played by PNQ airbase - ie 2 min interceptor coverage for oil fields in Bombay High. If the Air Force vacates PNQ, there is enough space to upgrade the airport+terminal to international standards. Issue is new airport development in Rajgurunagar/Purandar is more lucrative for politicians. The last time this plan was proposed, the excuse used was the presence of the Southern Command HQ in Pune allowing for "joint ops" - an exercise that has remained theoretical for past 35 years! :)

It is not just length. The PNQ runway will have to be upgraded to handle widebody landings. In the early 90's, Indian Airlines operated a A300B2 for a military charter as a test and it punched holes in the runway! Air India operated an A310 4/5 years later on the inaugural BOM-PNQ-DXQ route and it seemed to have gone better. Later replaced with AIX 737-800.

I just measured on Google Earth and it seems PNQ has the runway size equal to that of my base however the civil tarmac is half the size of LKO all thats needed is the increasing of the tarmac for up to a KM and get a new terminal simple.

Because We handle regular A330-300s and at times 744s and 788s too so if LKO runway and tarmac can handle these big birds I think PNQ with a little upgradation could possibly have direct flights from Sudia,Malaysia,SIA,Thai and even Lufthansa because PNQ has demand for EU but sadly it lacks the infrastructure..the MAH and GOI needs to get it sorted because the airport is the gateway of opportunities into and out of any city,a very major part of all the cities around the globe and Pune being one of our metro cities should have it ASAP but its only possible when MAH GOV and GOI start treating PNQ like they treat BOM :(

trinidadeG

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:20 am

edealinfo wrote:
avier wrote:
trinidadeG wrote:

Even though it has been baking in the sun for just two week after delivery, I was projecting outwards, and not taking just the 2 weeks and assuming that is the max limit for which it is baked. Certainly, a vey different perspective from yours.

Masala is Masala, whichever way you look at it. Right now, VT-TSD has taken off from DEL, flying south on what i suspect is their DGCA-mandated "proving flight". This is after 10 days of 'baking' :)

trinidadeG

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:24 am

CPS001 wrote:

What? Mid-march?? Thats, like, in 5 days!! So much for "outward projection" a.k.a "Masala Perspective"

FligtReporter

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:10 am

edealinfo wrote:
AGARTALA airport is huge. Love the size but is there demand to fly there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Its not too huge though,the Runway size is only about 2.5 KMs and the airport is not eligible for wodebodies and international airport Status as of yet.But Yes there is a new tarmac under construction to the Right and a small parking bay in the left but bad news is the runway expansion cannot be done as its almost attached to the Bangladesh border.

Currently it only has a few domestic flights to north east and few other major cities of India and aircraft movement is restricted by the Aviation Athourity and 24*7 operations are not permitted by AAI as of now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos