Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Welcome to the Coronavirus Aviation News and Discussion Thread - March 2020.

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1439961&p=22054005#p22054005

As this is a hot topic at the moment and there is a lot of news around it for the time being it will be a monthly thread. This will be accessed as time goes by and may be changed into a longer time period depending on things go.

Just a reminder to keep discussion focused on aviation, anything related outside of aviation please discuss in the thread located in Non-Aviation. Also if you are providing factual information please provide sources as well.

Link to Non Aviation Thread

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1438989
Forum Moderator

smokeybandit

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:00 pm

Travel fears now affecting US domestic flights

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ameri ... r-BB10xnbr

wv399

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:15 pm

B6 waiver

Change & Cancel Fees Waived for New Bookings
Last Updated: 2/27/2020 7:00 p.m. ET

Due to evolving coronavirus concerns, we are suspending JetBlue change and cancel fees for all new flight bookings made between February 27, 2020 and March 11, 2020 for travel through June 1, 2020.

While there are no current travel restrictions to the locations we fly, customers can book with confidence on jetblue.com and jetbluevacations.com and know that changes or cancellations will be allowed without penalty should the situation change.

In the event you need to make a change to bookings made between the qualifying dates above, visit the Manage Flights section of jetblue.com or contact us for assistance.

https://www.jetblue.com/travel-alerts

KlimaBXsst

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:18 pm

I have a feeling published seat back airline magazines will be gone.

ULCC travel will become very watch worthy.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

KlimaBXsst

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Seatback screen airlines, will temporarily fall out of favor too is another prediction.

davidjohnson6

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:24 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:

Can you explain what you mean and why you think this is the case ? Not trying to agree or disagree - I just don't understand what you're trying to communicate

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:31 pm

All Turkish air company has suspend all flights to Italy.

https://indiablooms.com/health-details/ ... virus.html
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

KlimaBXsst

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:42 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

Can you explain what you mean and why you think this is the case ? Not trying to agree or disagree - I just don't understand what you're trying to communicate

Ultra Low Cost Carrier travel in the US is very, very discretionary travel. Business people tend not to use ULCCs in the US because of reliability issues, along with frequency issues. If people are ill across the board this will not be good for that model much less any model.

davidjohnson6

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:52 pm

SQ789 wrote:

The news I've seen indicates Turkish Airlines have suspended some but not all flights to Italy. Your source isn't clear as to whether some or all flights to Italy are suspended. Are you able to provide an alternate source ?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-28feb20/

peterinlisbon

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:53 pm

SQ789 wrote:

So they should, along with Iran, China and South Korea. So far Turkey is free of the virus and people are able to go about their business normally. The economic cost of cutting these flights is much less than the cost of becoming another hotspot.

KlimaBXsst

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:54 pm

Another prediction:

Compass and GoJet “may” weather this better than other regionals just because their declining staffing levels with the Trans State announcement should provide adequate staffing levels during the course of the year, if there is ANY incentive to put everyone on a single seniority list and cross train, as they try to strengthen their appeal, and ability to keep regional contracts for the Big 3, or at least be marketable for an acquisition.

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:04 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
SQ789 wrote:

The news I've seen indicates Turkish Airlines have suspended some but not all flights to Italy. Your source isn't clear as to whether some or all flights to Italy are suspended. Are you able to provide an alternate source ?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-28feb20/

Edit: Found out that Pegasus and SunExpress is still operating some flights to/from Italy.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

as739x

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:13 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Another prediction:

Compass and GoJet “may” weather this better than other regionals just because their declining staffing levels with the Trans State announcement should provide adequate staffing levels during the course of the year, if there is ANY incentive to put everyone on a single seniority list and cross train, as they try to strengthen their appeal, and ability to keep regional contracts for the Big 3, or at least be marketable for an acquisition.

I'm not really following how the Coronavirus really would effect these companies currently, but...

We are separate certificates and can not merge the crews. We operate for separate airlines, scope clause effect as well as a different fleet type doesn't make this easy. CP pilots have been offered interviews with GoJet, but that is the best TSA Holding can do. Compass crews have not showed much desire to go to GoJet and I personally know all of 0 pilots that have left for GoJet. Compass staffing is not declining fast enough to keep pace with the 4 planes per month lost on the DL side (pilot side).

Also, the family owning TSA Holding would not want to just throw away a AOC, that is a lot of money lost by a company that has already mismanaged their airlines being unwilling to make the right decisions based on money.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

tphuang

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:24 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

Ultra Low Cost Carrier travel in the US is very, very discretionary travel. Business people tend not to use ULCCs in the US because of reliability issues, along with frequency issues. If people are ill across the board this will not be good for that model much less any model.

This virus is disastrous for legacy carriers because corporate travel spending is getting huge cuts. We will see how much it affects lccs. People are getting told to not travel domestically even for leisure.

scbriml

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:51 pm

tphuang wrote:
People are getting told to not travel domestically even for leisure.

Who is being told not to travel domestically and by whom?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

factsonly

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Lufthansa Group press release:

Lufthansa Group cuts short-haul operations up to 25%

29-FEB-2020 News Release

Coronavirus: Capacity reduction planned
Short-haul operations to be reduced by up to 25 percent during the next weeks
Number of Lufthansa Group long-haul aircraft not in service increases from 13 to up to 23
Possibility of reduced working hours under review
As a result of the current situation caused by the accelerated spread of the coronavirus, the Lufthansa Group has decided on taking further measures to counteract the economic consequences. Within the coming weeks, the number of short- and medium-haul flights will be reduced by up to 25 percent, depending on the further development of the spread of the coronavirus. The Lufthansa Group airlines are also continuing to reduce their flight schedule on long-haul routes. The number of Lufthansa Group long-haul aircraft currently not in operation will increase from 13 to up to 23. The Group is also examining the possibility of reduced working hours in various areas.

It is not yet possible to estimate the financial impact of the current developments. The Group will be publishing key financial figures at the annual press conference on 19 March 2020.

https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/eng ... 6535b44477

tphuang

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:13 pm

scbriml wrote:
tphuang wrote:

You have probably already heard about Amazon telling its employees not to travel domestically. I think you will find this is happening across many companies in North America. Where if you have not booked, you are told not to book any trips until things settle down. If you have booked and must go, then you are likely to have to self quarantine for 2 weeks when you get back from your trip.

All the companies are tell their employees to be safe and conservative. Cancel every large events and any non-essential travel.

BravoOne

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:20 pm

tphuang wrote:
scbriml wrote:
tphuang wrote:

You have probably already heard about Amazon telling its employees not to travel domestically. I think you will find this is happening across many companies in North America. Where if you have not booked, you are told not to book any trips until things settle down. If you have booked and must go, then you are likely to have to self quarantine for 2 weeks when you get back from your trip.

All the companies are tell their employees to be safe and conservative. Cancel every large events and any non-essential travel.

That is such a gross exaggeration.

davidjohnson6

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:55 pm

I live in London and have a full time job in London - I earn much more than the minimum wage and wil make great efforts not to lose the job. The job pays for my addictive flying habit. No job = no flying. The company distributed a message to all employees in Europe making clear that if you've been sonewhere dubious in terms of the virus, you'll have to work from home for 2 weeks - and I know the company won't be impressed if that happens

I was due to get on a plane from London this morning for leisure purposes. Ticket was non-refundable (and taxes have admin fees making them difficult to reclaim). I deliberately stayed at home, because I remain in control. My flight home cannot be cancelled, no Govt can impose a quarantine to prevent me from going home. And I don't end up in an airport with large crowds and the small possibility of catching the virus.

You can explain to people as much as you like that an aluminium tube will not make you sick, but for anybody who can find a way to avoid flying, it's a rational thing to just stay at home. This is not about a small number of terrorists against whom you can send an army; the whole framework of what we expect when flying for leisure is in doubt right now, and there is very little airlines can do about it

smartplane

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:04 pm

tphuang wrote:
scbriml wrote:
tphuang wrote:

When an aviation financier advises it's staff for the foreseeable future to schedule virtual meetings with clients, offers to meet personal travel cancellation fees if not covered by insurance, sets a 28 day quarantine period, and advises most staff can work from home, they are taking staff health seriously. I'm a sometime contractor for the company, and didn't receive a personal call (2nd hand). Apparently one manager told staff it might be a good time to explore the benefits of being a hermit!

Productivity has greatly increased. Easy to be more business-like when video conferencing and corresponding, and you get direct answers without waffle. Hopefully this continues, and less travel is the result.

Don't know if the virus on paper can survive low temperatures, but documentation is being frozen before and after execution / initialling.

KlimaBXsst

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:19 pm

Another prediction,

A new realization that when your parents, kids, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends move half way across the world or out of state across the country, air service is an essential commodity we NEED and WANT.

It’s always makes one realize it is always better to live somewhere closer to one’s central core of people, as long as it is no more than say a 1/3 of a days drive away. (Well as long as there is gas and power at least) Airlines give you perceived freedom, but cars give you real freedom!

Will we see large social displacements after this, “back to one’s roots,” so to speak? This after all was not Ebola, but what if it was?

Hmmm

Pi7472000

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:27 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

I wonder how long airlines will be able to put their under utilized international widebodies on their flights domestically. Just flew an pretty empty widebody on AA from ORD to LAX. Was great for comfort! I wonder if AA, DL, and UA will offer more flexibility domestically to promote bookings. I hope U.S. airlines are also providing their employees with resources to stay healthy while working domestic flights.

Pi7472000

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

I wonder how long airlines will be able to put their under utilized international widebodies on their flights domestically. Just flew an pretty empty widebody on AA from ORD to LAX. Was great for comfort! I wonder if AA, DL, and UA will offer more flexibility domestically to promote bookings. I hope U.S. airlines are also providing their employees with resources to stay healthy while working domestic flights.

Also, will U.S. airlines start wiping down tray tables after flights. I have had seen many disgusting tray tables after boarding that have not been cleaned from prior flights. They really need to improve their cleaning of planes between flights.

SCQ83

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:33 pm

scbriml wrote:
Those of us outside the US (yes, it happens!) haven't heard much about this. Anyway, it's not a Government agency telling people not to travel domestically, which is what I thought you meant.

You must be living in a different world because most European companies (and people) are doing the same. Otherwise why is Lufthansa chopping 25% of their intra-European flights? Or Wizz Air (with no connecting traffic) cutting left and right? Or try booking any intra-European "business" flight with Air France, BA, Lufthansa, Iberia (not even counting Italy) for next week; most flights are sold at rock-bottom fares.

Btw today there had been cancelled the ITB in Berlin (largest tourism fair in the world) and MIPIM in Cannes (largest real estate fair in the world) which were due in the next couple of weeks. So it doesn't look like Europe is any different than "inside the US".

chepos

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:46 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

Also, will U.S. airlines start wiping down tray tables after flights. I have had seen many disgusting tray tables after boarding that have not been cleaned from prior flights. They really need to improve their cleaning of planes between flights.

Not to divert the topic, but for someone who is always going on about how horrible AA is and how you prefer to only fly DL, I am a bit surprised you are admitting to flying on AA today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

piedmontf284000

Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:38 pm

The US Department of State just announced that South Korea and Italy are a level 4 travel advisory, which means do not travel to those countries. This is going to have a large effect on the US3, especially the Italy flights.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaketapper/s ... gr%5Etweet

Pi7472000 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

With the new travel advisories... there are going to be a lot more wide bodies flying domestic routes.

nwair8908

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:05 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
The US Department of State just announced that South Korea and Italy are a level 4 travel advisory, which means do not travel to those countries. This is going to have a large effect on the US3, especially the Italy flights.

Pi7472000 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

With the new travel advisories... there are going to be a lot more wide bodies flying domestic routes.

Only the Lombardy and Veneto regions are at "Do Not Travel" level as of now, everywhere else in Italy is still at Level 3.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... isory.html

However, AZ cancelled my flight, #815 (TLV-FCO) this week. The Israeli government has banned all travelers coming from Italy from entering Israel except for Israeli citizens, though it has not banned flights to/from Italy (yet). So my guess is AZ determined the load factor was too low to justify the flight.

https://www.alitalia.com/en_en/fly-alit ... ights.html

dmstorm22

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:36 pm

nwair8908 wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

Pi7472000 wrote:

Only the Lombardy and Veneto regions are at "Do Not Travel" level as of now, everywhere else in Italy is still at Level 3.

Similarly for South Korea it is just Daegu that is Level-4, the country as a whole is Level-3 (reconsider travel).

bennett123

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:42 pm

I wonder how soon the UK will follow.

KlimaBXsst

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:40 pm

Will Canadian travel emerge from the Corona Virus threat ahead of US travel. Hmmm

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/fi ... n-visitors

Wednesdayite

Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:46 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Another prediction,

A new realization that when your parents, kids, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends move half way across the world or out of state across the country, air service is an essential commodity we NEED and WANT.

It’s always makes one realize it is always better to live somewhere closer to one’s central core of people, as long as it is no more than say a 1/3 of a days drive away. (Well as long as there is gas and power at least) Airlines give you perceived freedom, but cars give you real freedom!

Will we see large social displacements after this, “back to one’s roots,” so to speak? This after all was not Ebola, but what if it was?

Hmmm

As someone who lives 5,000 miles and across an ocean from my hometown, I’m going to disagree with that. While I love my family in the UK, I’ve built a life and family here. Colorado is my home. I’ll never move back to the UK.

And I know I’m not alone in that sentiment. I’ll be relying on air travel for decades to come.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

davidjohnson6

Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:44 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/china-h ... SL1N2AU01Y

American to suspend all flights from NY-JFK and Miami to Milan-Malpensa until 24 April - confirmed by Reuters

jfklganyc

Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:20 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/article/china-health-american-airlines/update-1-american-airlines-suspending-flights-to-milan-after-u-s-travel-warning-idUSL1N2AU01Y

American to suspend all flights from NY-JFK and Miami to Milan-Malpensa until 24 April - confirmed by Reuters

I figured they would be first

Weakest link in NY

catiii

Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:31 am

tphuang wrote:

“All the companies” are not telling their employees that. My wife works for a global financial institution. It’s BAU with the exception of the impacted regions.

Depending on the industry, some companies are cancelling events and non essential travel as their focus shifts to preserving cash and liquidity ahead of an uncertain economic correction. It’s not all “contracting a virus” related.

fsxfan38

Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:45 am

I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but would there be a chance that my JFK to PWM flight at the end of March will be affected by this virus? I know it's a month away, but my friend is really looking forward to seeing me and I'm gonna be really pissed if Delta cancels the flight.

CriticalPoint

Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:54 am

fsxfan38 wrote:
I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but would there be a chance that my JFK to PWM flight at the end of March will be affected by this virus? I know it's a month away, but my friend is really looking forward to seeing me and I'm gonna be really pissed if Delta cancels the flight.

Relax.........

Everyone is hysterical. It doesn’t help anyone to be constantly panicked and stressed out. Get off social media and have a beer.

davidjohnson6

Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:30 am

I suppose if Covid-19 spreads like wildfire through the USA in the next 4 weeks, we could end up with the civil aviation system of N.America and Europe being effectively shut down, similiarly to what's currently happening in China - ie we have a really serious global pandemic similiar to 1918 Spanish flu. Of course if that happens, your friend is most likely not going to want to see you at all...
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

melpax

Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:33 am

As I said in the other thread, some Australian employers have started telling their staff that they must report any personal international travel, also at least one private school here in Melbourne has sent letters out to all parents advising them to 'think carefully' about any intended international travel over the Easter school holiday period, and have advised that their children might not be able to return to school after returning from international travel....

I wouldn't be suprised if my employer emails out similar advice during the week......

I suspect a lot of people will be taking 'old school' domestic holidays this Easter break......
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

ugobeck

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:27 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/article/china-health-american-airlines/update-1-american-airlines-suspending-flights-to-milan-after-u-s-travel-warning-idUSL1N2AU01Y

According to Italian press reports, AA198 (JFK/MXP) passengers were already walking down the finger (Feb29 late afternoon) when they were told the crew refused to fly to Italy. If true, I would be surprised by that. Nothing happened in Italy in those hours that could explain such a last-minute decision

chepos

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:34 am

ugobeck wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

According to Italian press reports, AA198 (JFK/MXP) passengers were already walking down the finger (Feb29 late afternoon) when they were told the crew refused to fly to Italy. If true, I would be surprised by that. Nothing happened in Italy in those hours that could explain such a last-minute decision

Yep, the crew refused to take the aircraft, due to the fuss surrounding COVID19. 206 operated and is already there, inbound crew I believe will deadhead back as MXP ops are CX until 4/25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Waterbomber2

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:35 am

ugobeck wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Sensible decision considering that the crew would have to undergo a 14-day quarantine upon return.

mattyfitzg

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:33 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Relax.........

Everyone is hysterical. It doesn’t help anyone to be constantly panicked and stressed out. Get off social media and have a beer.

Most sensible response yet.

Cointrin330

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:49 pm

ugobeck wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Correct. Flight was cancelled last night.

Cointrin330

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:52 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Weakest link in NY

Oh yes, right. They don't have 400+ flights a day out of one NY airport, they aren't Delta, and so naturally, they must be the weakest link.

Polot

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Weakest link in NY

Oh yes, right. They don't have 400+ flights a day out of one NY airport, they aren't Delta, and so naturally, they must be the weakest link.

Well yes, out of all the carriers on the route they have the smallest presence in the NYC market (or Italian market compared to Alitalia). That by definition makes them the weakest in the market.

jfklganyc

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Polot wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Weakest link in NY

Well yes, out of all the carriers on the route they have the smallest presence in the NYC market (or Italian market compared to Alitalia). That by definition makes them the weakest in the market.

Thank you. I appreciate the support

As if the aviation experts on here don’t know about their rapidly shrinking JFK operation...in a booming economy, pre Wuhan

Cointrin330

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:10 pm

Polot wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Weakest link in NY

Yes and no. Putting the virus aside for a moment and looking at total flights with seasonal services included to Italy:

AA flies to FCO from PHL year round, and MXP from JFK and MIA year round. With seasonal service thrown in, AA flies to FCO from ORD, DFW (2 x daily for 6 weeks in peak summer), CLT, and JFK (the JFK route is supposed to restart much earlier this year in late March). AA also flies to VCE from PHL and ORD seasonally.

UA flies to FCO from EWR year round (not daily in deep winter), and seasonally from IAD and ORD. It flies to MXP from EWR year round. VCE is served from EWR seasonally, as is NAP and from this summer, PMO.

DL flies to FCO/MXP from JFK, ATL (and DTW-FCO seasonally), plus VCE from JFK/ATL seasonally. It code shares with AZ so it has a lot of reach inside Italy, but I'd argue AZ is the weakest link, more than ever now, with the coronavirus impacting service to Italy.

Is AA weak in NY? Not really. It is more of a niche and has not really focused on competing there but it does have a few key things going for it. It is #2 at LGA, shares in the biggest slice of the world's most profitable O&D route (JFK-LHR) with BA (total revs there are $1BN a year), and has assets like T8. 68-75 departures a day at JFK at the moment, and close to 180 at LGA. Not huge, no, but it is not a trivial player in the NY market at all and has a decent chunk of corporate traffic, though yes, it has lost ground to DL/UA.

Polot

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Polot wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

Yes and no. Putting the virus aside for a moment and looking at total flights with seasonal services included to Italy:

AA flies to FCO from PHL year round, and MXP from JFK and MIA year round. With seasonal service thrown in, AA flies to FCO from ORD, DFW (2 x daily for 6 weeks in peak summer), CLT, and JFK (the JFK route is supposed to restart much earlier this year in late March). AA also flies to VCE from PHL and ORD seasonally.

UA flies to FCO from EWR year round (not daily in deep winter), and seasonally from IAD and ORD. It flies to MXP from EWR year round. VCE is served from EWR seasonally, as is NAP and from this summer, PMO.

DL flies to FCO/MXP from JFK, ATL (and DTW-FCO seasonally), plus VCE from JFK/ATL seasonally. It code shares with AZ so it has a lot of reach inside Italy, but I'd argue AZ is the weakest link, more than ever now, with the coronavirus impacting service to Italy.

Is AA weak in NY? Not really. It is more of a niche and has not really focused on competing there but it does have a few key things going for it. It is #2 at LGA, shares in the biggest slice of the world's most profitable O&D route (JFK-LHR) with BA (total revs there are $1BN a year), and has assets like T8. 68-75 departures a day at JFK at the moment, and close to 180 at LGA. Not huge, no, but it is not a trivial player in the NY market at all and has a decent chunk of corporate traffic, though yes, it has lost ground to DL/UA.

You are confusing the term “weakest” with “trivial”. Weakest is a relative term, if AA is not as large as the other players in the market then they are by definition the weakest especially as nothing indicates DL or UA are struggling with their hubs. That doesn’t mean their presence in the market is trivial though.

It is not really incorrect to say AA is the weakest US3 in the NYC market (including EWR), and most likely the first of the three to drop or suspend a trunk route with heavy competition.

Scotron12

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 pm

EK asking staff to take unpaid leave.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN20O1FD

FCAFLYBOY

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Can we please try and stick to the topic thread, not argue who is biggest at JFK maybe?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos