Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alo2yyz

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:26 am

PlutekPlutek wrote:
My cousin in visiting the US, due to fly back AA from Miami to Barcelona on Tuesday. He is travelling on an EU passport.
What are the chances of this flight even going ahead next week ? Would he be rerouted via London, or have his flight cancelled, and a refund ?
Should we start considering other options to get out of there before Friday ?

Cheers
L

The policy/ban is travel from Europe, not travel to Europe. Presuming there is a seat available, I would think they would be fine. If AA cancels the flight, then it could get interesting.

smartplane

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:26 am

Presume the ban will be extended when American rich and famous have reached their bolt holes in NZ and Australia.

KingB123

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:27 am

JetBuddy wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
What would this mean for Iceland, Norway etc etc who are not part of the EU? is their flying still as planned?

Good question. We need to know this. Same goes for Turkey. Are they banned too?

Turkey isn’t part of the EU nor european union so they’re not under any restriction
King B

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:27 am

Look-term I think things will bounce back since there is a propensity for people to want to travel more than ever. The younger generations are traveling at record rates.
On the other hand governments and companies are increasingly going to look at how to put safeguards into place to mitigate what we are seeing today.

This feels a lot like the immediate post-9/11 era, where no one knew what was coming next, a lot of truth/confusion/mixed-messages/hype/paranoia from government agencies and media combined. People didn't know what to think and wavered between deep concern and over-paranoia. The boogie man in the room then was terrorism, this time is a pandemic.

LNCS0930

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:29 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Look-term I think things will bounce back since there is a propensity for people to want to travel more than ever. The younger generations are traveling at record rates.
On the other hand governments and companies are increasingly going to look at how to put safeguards into place to mitigate what we are seeing today.

This feels a lot like the immediate post-9/11 era, where no one knew what was coming next, a lot of truth/confusion/mixed-messages/hype/paranoia from government agencies and media combined. People didn't know what to think and wavered between deep concern and over-paranoia. The boogie man in the room then was terrorism, this time is a pandemic.

The more everything is cancelled and postponed I think the more of an itch people will have. By May 1 people are going to be flat out sick of this

Adipocere

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:30 am

KingB123 wrote:
Adipocere wrote:
COEWR787 wrote:
Who says UK is "open borders"? ;)

Can’t any European just grab their passport, jump on a plane and get to the U.K.? I wish the U.K. (and reciprocally Europe) would require travelers to prearrange visa stickers in their passport after attending in person interviews, Submit vetting documents and pay sufficiently deterrent fees before any travel. Now that would be a truly safe and competently enforced border. It will also create social distancing and slow down pandemics.

This is not only inconvenient but a pain in the backside for us. I understand the pandemics but why complicate travel.

Secondly, europeans can get to the UK, but this travel ban will prevent them travelling to the usa

It’s no more complicated than what the U.K. and Europe already require for travelers from the vast majority of the world. Most people do go through this vetting before travel - no point in creating artificial exclusions especially in the face of a viral calamity.

planecane

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:37 am

KingB123 wrote:
Adipocere wrote:
COEWR787 wrote:
Who says UK is "open borders"? ;)

Can’t any European just grab their passport, jump on a plane and get to the U.K.? I wish the U.K. (and reciprocally Europe) would require travelers to prearrange visa stickers in their passport after attending in person interviews, Submit vetting documents and pay sufficiently deterrent fees before any travel. Now that would be a truly safe and competently enforced border. It will also create social distancing and slow down pandemics.

This is not only inconvenient but a pain in the backside for us. I understand the pandemics but why complicate travel.

Secondly, europeans can get to the UK, but this travel ban will prevent them travelling to the usa

I have to assume that the UK is going to announce travel restrictions from the same countries that the US is restricting. Otherwise, it really makes no sense to exempt the UK from the ban.

KingB123

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:40 am

planecane wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

I have to assume that the UK is going to announce travel restrictions from the same countries that the US is restricting. Otherwise, it really makes no sense to exempt the UK from the ban.

Absolutely, the UK should have done this sooner. A lot of flights to itlay are cancelled from the UK till april. Other countries have restricted UK nationals entry.

I think this is done on a political stump, but also as mentioned by others maybe having one gateway to the US will help authorities to potentially slow down the virus transmission
King B

Midwestindy

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:41 am

LNCS0930 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

The more everything is cancelled and postponed I think the more of an itch people will have. By May 1 people are going to be flat out sick of this

Poor choice of words...
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

dfwking

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:41 am

They are refusing entry to everyone (non-US citizen, non-US Permanent Resident, close relative) who has been in one of the Schengen countries 14 days prior to arrival in the US. It is not a blanket ban on EU citizens.

Any foreign citizen, including those from UK, EU, etc., cannot have traveled to the schengen area 14 days prior if they want to travel to the US.

So theoretically EU citizens can spend 14 days in the UK and catch a flight to the US.
Last edited by dfwking on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

pipeafcr

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:42 am

KingB123 wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
What would this mean for Iceland, Norway etc etc who are not part of the EU? is their flying still as planned?

Turkey isn’t part of the EU nor european union so they’re not under any restriction

The EU and the european union is the same thing....
Felipe Carrillo

KingB123

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:45 am

pipeafcr wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

The EU and the european union is the same thing....

Meant EEA and EU27
King B

32andBelow

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:51 am

dfwking wrote:
They are refusing entry to everyone (non-US citizen, non-US Permanent Resident, close relative) who has been in one of the Schengen countries 14 days prior to arrival in the US. It is not a blanket ban on EU citizens.

Any foreign citizen, including those from UK, EU, etc., cannot have traveled to the schengen area 14 days prior if they want to travel to the US.

So theoretically EU citizens can spend 14 days in the UK and catch a flight to the US.

How do you enforce that? Passports aren’t stamped and they can just use a land boarder. Are they going to close the tunnel?

airzona11

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:54 am

On the avgeek side, that’s a lot of domestic 767 777 787 A330 flights.

gatibosgru wrote:
When do we see UK cases explode from everyone trying to fly through it?

You cannot fly from EU-UK-US so that won’t be why.

gatibosgru

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:55 am

airzona11 wrote:

gatibosgru wrote:
When do we see UK cases explode from everyone trying to fly through it?

You cannot fly from EU-UK-US so that won’t be why.

I get it, doesn't mean people wont try.
@DadCelo

Midwestindy

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:07 am

airzona11 wrote:

Don't get your hopes up, most will have to be parked, the domestic market is already severely overcapacity with likely little to no demand next month & all the TPAC widebodies are already flooding the severely over saturated domestic market.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

MareBorealis

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:10 am

KingB123 wrote:

According to CNN: The ban apply to Schengen Europe. So Iceland, Norway, Switzerland etc included

Antaras

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:22 am

Tuan wrote:
I predict Vietnam will stop all air traffic with Europe shortly. The damage to Vietnam economy will be huge, but at this stage, so will everyone. Just a matter of time.

Of course, after a dozen of infected cases were found on VN54 (LHR-HAN, 2nd March).
I heard that Bamboo delayed its PRG introduction to 26 April, too.
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

dampfnudel

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:24 am

planecane wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

We’ll find out from Boris Johnson soon enough. If the UK government bans EU nationals from entering the UK, then we’ll know why Trump allowed an exemption for the UK. It’s possible then that the Eurotunnel will be closed to passenger services as well.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

B747forever

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:41 am

FlyingHonu001 wrote:

That is before tonight’s announcement. Expect a lot more cancellations/reductions the coming days.
Work Hard, Fly Right

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:43 am

FlyingHonu001 wrote:

Those were as of about 12 hours ago and I'm sure are already out of date.

I suspect that by next week all that DL will have left will be the following for the rest of March and April:

TATL: ATL, DTW, MSP, JFK - LHR
TPAC: DTW, ATL, SEA - NRT/HND

I suspect we will see more than 50% of domestic cut for April.

FlyingElvii

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:44 am

LupineChemist wrote:
Will it still be possible to connect at LHR or fly AC and connect at YYZ?

I may have to go travel to take care of family if things get ugly in the US.

As I understand it, travel from Europe is banned from “any Gateway”. US citizens will have to go through an “enhanced screening process” that will be defined tomorrow. Likely that means quarantine.

ACDC8

Re: US cancels flight to Europe except UK for 30 days

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 am

johns624 wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
Rip all remaining pax 757's and 767's.
Yeah, because that's what's important here. Thousands getting sick and dying, thousands being laid off and you're worried about some planes...

You do realize this is an aviation enthusiast forum? If comments on aircraft offends you in some way, then perhaps you'd be better off elsewhere :sarcastic:
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

J2flyer

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 am

KingB123 wrote:
J2flyer wrote:
Hello, I'm due to fly to Berlin tomorrow March 12th, BOS-LHR-TXL. Back March 23rd on British Airways. Will I be able to request a refund from British Airways?

Contact BA and see what they say! Are you an american national?

No, I'm an Azerbaijani citizen studying here. I've already decided to change my flight by taking advantage of the free change fee offer.

jrfspa320

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:48 am

Australian authorities are considering a similar European ban on travelers

chimborazo

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:49 am

gatibosgru wrote:
MonAmQB wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
Will this hold up in court?

ACLU will sue Trump for discrimination against Europeans?

Just don't understand why the UK is exempt while the rest of the continent is a no-go zone. Belgium, Austria, Greece, Czech Republic, Finland, Portugal, etc, have fewer cases and will take a huge hit from being blocked compared to the UK. So why not an entire travel ban? Or at least a continental ban?

Because of completely free movement under Schengen.

FlyingElvii

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:54 am

shamrock350 wrote:
The move to exclude the UK is clearly politically motivated, he's a big supporter of Brexit and his speech was full of anti-EU sentiment.

The UK experienced its biggest daily rise in cases today, now heading towards 500+ with 8 deaths. There is no reasonable explanation to exclude it from the travel ban.

“Special Relationship”, and what comes after. I’d bet the US is already involved with the reconstruction planning, and probably economic support, as well.

ro1960

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:00 am

rw774477 wrote:
So apparently US citizens not affected as much ... So the virus hops on somebody and checks for a passport ???

Exactly. US national having spend more than 14 days in Europe are immune to Covid-19? What about other non-European nationals traveling from Europe to the US? And during the 30-day ban US nationals including airline crews will freely travel to Europe and interact with locals, not get infected and return to the US without check?

Seriously.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

JetBuddy

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 am

For those still in doubt, the travel ban doesn't include cargo, and it only covers Schengen treaty nations.

Why Schengen? Because of the freedom of travel between these nations. The UK is not, or has ever been part of Schengen.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:17 am

Here is a list of routes between the US and Europe operating this week prior to the ban being announced, lets see how much of it get's cut

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-15mar20/
Forum Moderator

MareBorealis

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:19 am

According to YLE News Finland (refers to Reuters) the European (Schengen) governments were not warned beforehand, which is exceptional.

marcelh

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:23 am

JetBuddy wrote:
For those still in doubt, the travel ban doesn't include cargo, and it only covers Schengen treaty nations.

Why Schengen? Because of the freedom of travel between these nations. The UK is not, or has ever been part of Schengen.

There is also freedom of travel between the EU and the UK. Those border controls are nothing more than waving your passport

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:25 am

Midwestindy wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

Don't get your hopes up, most will have to be parked, the domestic market is already severely overcapacity with likely little to no demand next month & all the TPAC widebodies are already flooding the severely over saturated domestic market.

Correct. Operators of N registered twin aisles will not be adding more to domestic schedules. They will be parked, with periodics and MELs cleared. As will a fair amount of single aisles as well.

If this is quickly contained, a few hiring freezes, destruction of available OT, but no real problems. If this stretches into the summer, the legacies will be hit first and hardest, given their cost structures. This is not likely to happen, so we will not ever know, but an extended ban will cull at least one of those three before the year is out.

Simply too much cost to only operate a third of the fleet.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

ro1960

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:27 am

marcelh wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

There is also freedom of travel between the EU and the UK. Those border controls are nothing more than waving your passport

Incorrect. It’s a proper border control by the EU and the UK authorities. Be it by rail or by air.

Derico

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:30 am

It is all philosophical to argue who was or was not included. The trajectory is obvious, and the UK will have to be banned within a week most likely. And a couple more weeks later it will the EU who will ban the US and Canada. It's all just a matter of stages.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

FlyingElvii

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:33 am

qf789 wrote:
Here is a list of routes between the US and Europe operating this week prior to the ban being announced, lets see how much of it get's cut

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-15mar20/

Icelandair just got wrecked....
Luckily, they can still run the fish cargo.

devron

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:34 am

ro1960 wrote:
marcelh wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

Incorrect. It’s a proper border control by the EU and the UK authorities. Be it by rail or by air.

Can we just agree it is arbitrary because there is not health check at UK borders.

I sympathize with everyone effected. I think it is slowly the time to buy airline and airport stocks.

I am currently in FRA and based on my weekly travels traffic is down 60-80%. I have a flight at 7.25 (brussels) and after my flight the next flight from T1 is 20 min later.

FlyingElvii

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:34 am

marcelh wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

I have the feeling that will end Friday as well.

marcelh

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:37 am

ro1960 wrote:
marcelh wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

That’s what I’m saying; just scanning your passport.

FlyingElvii

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:38 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

Correct. Operators of N registered twin aisles will not be adding more to domestic schedules. They will be parked, with periodics and MELs cleared. As will a fair amount of single aisles as well.

If this is quickly contained, a few hiring freezes, destruction of available OT, but no real problems. If this stretches into the summer, the legacies will be hit first and hardest, given their cost structures. This is not likely to happen, so we will not ever know, but an extended ban will cull at least one of those three before the year is out.

The lions share of the first cuts are going to be the regionals, I believe. IMHO, 1 or two companies besides Trans-States and Compass will likely get the axe completely, maybe more.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:41 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

The lions share of the first cuts are going to be the regionals, I believe. IMHO, 1 or two companies besides Trans-States and Compass will likely get the axe completely, maybe more.

I could see the legacies brining some regional flying in house where they can.

ro1960

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:43 am

marcelh wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
marcelh wrote:

You said waving, not scanning. Plus scanning only works with some passports at borders with proper equipment. Still you have a UK and a EU check, with an agent or a machine. It’s not a walkthrough.

Well you’ll see next time you cross that border. Will it be your first time? :-)

marcelh

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:58 am

ro1960 wrote:
marcelh wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

You said waving, not scanning. Plus scanning only works with some passports at borders with proper equipment. Still you have a UK and a EU check, with an agent or a machine. It’s not a walkthrough.

Well you’ll see next time you cross that border. Will it be your first time? :-)

First time? First time this year. I’ve been in the UK regularly, so I know the drill ;-). IMHO, just scanning a passport isn’t really different than traveling within Schengen and it isn’t what I consider as a “proper” border control. Entering the UK isn’t much more than going to a pop concert and got your ticked scanned when entering the venue.

dampfnudel

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:59 am

dfwking wrote:

Until the UK bans anyone who has spent the last 14 days in the EU from entering.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:09 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Certainly plausible, yes. Though regional costs are not high, they are a favorite Whipping Boy during the best of times. The temptation to conduct their damage in that direction will be present, yes.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

c933103

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:28 am

Saw the following on Cathay's website:

Following the temporary suspension of passenger services to Japan, we are currently evaluating how to continue serving our cargo customers to and from Japan. This includes the retention of passenger services for cargo carriage only.
http://www.cathaypacificcargo.com/About ... fault.aspx
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

vhtje

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:29 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
vhtje wrote:
With the UK excluded, how could this even work? You’d just book [EU City] -> LHR -> [US City] and lie about where you started, surely? (Yes, I know that would be an offence, but people will do it)

Good for BA, I guess, if all EU traffic is suddenly being funnelled through LHR.

Traveling on a French passport arriving at JFK would be one clue.

How? Free movement of people in the EU means there are literally millions of EU passport holders living in the UK - and an estimated 300,000 French. Your French passport holder can just book a ticket from CDG to LHR then onto JFK on a separate ticket, and claim to be one of those French living in the UK upon arrival in the US.

How would the US authorities know otherwise?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

ro1960

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:39 am

Anyone knows how many seats there are in that 30-day period between the US and the 26 banned countries?

f4f3a

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:49 am

Since everyone is going to be staying at home and doing online shops . Could pax airlines switch some of their planes to cargo only . Could a 777 for ex with a hold full of cargo make enough to make a small profit

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos