Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

par13del

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:23 pm

hvusslax wrote:
Today, there have been three diagnosed cases in Iceland of COVID19 infections that are imported FROM the United States.

So we have another government who was late putting in place measures to protect or minimize the risk of exposure to their citizens, it has been all over the news the last couple weeks about the infection in the USA, was there any pressure on Iceland NOT TO ban travel from infected countries?

bennett123

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:30 pm

There has been a lot of talk about the impact of Visa Free travel in Europe.

The US is a bigger Visa Free zone.

Perhaps someone can confirm the checks made on arrival from Japan, South Korea etc.

Once someone is in the US, what then?.

TC957

Re: Corona Virus Aircraft Parking

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:31 pm

I just returned from BKK yesterday and TG have about a dozen various widebodies sitting about due to frequency reduction and cancellations.
788's HS-TQA/C/D were noted engineless, the rest of the 788's and both the 789's were in service.

jsfr

Re: US cancels flight to Europe except UK for 30 days

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:33 pm

factsonly wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
BA and VIRGIN ATLANTIC are rubbing their hands tonight!!!

A huge misunderstanding here on A.net.

The US did NOT ban Schengen airlines from flying to the USA, but banned persons who visited Schengen countries over the last 14 days from entry into the USA (with quite a few exceptions).

Network carriers such as US3, AF, LH or KL can technically still fly connecting passengers from Africa/India/Middle East/Russia/Turkey etc.. to the USA.
It remains to be seen if this traffic is sufficient to keep any flights operating.

BA and VS carry a lot of Schengen passport holders to the USA and are therefore also heavily impacted.
o

True AF the company is still allowed to fly to the US.

However, AF pilots and cabin crew are not.... Hence AF is cancelling all US flights. Even today (just before the ban starts) they are refusing to fly outbound passengers to the US as they won’t be able to fly them back...

Looks like the DL operated flights will all be cancelled as well as the American crews would need to overnight and therefore potentially need to be quarantined on return to the US.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:35 pm

hvusslax wrote:
Today, there have been three diagnosed cases in Iceland of COVID19 infections that are imported FROM the United States.

He's doing everyone a solid then?

Thunderbolt500

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:43 pm

Has there ever been a ban of flights between us and europe

babastud

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:51 pm

INDIA has banned entry to all non-citizens from EU and USA till April 15th. This includes OCI card holders.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Thunderbolt500 wrote:

9/11 obvi

FabDiva

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 pm

Thunderbolt500 wrote:

Sept 11th aftermath is the only one I can think of

hvusslax

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:59 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
hvusslax wrote:

I guess. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the tables turn completely over the next weeks and the US takes over the role of the global COVID19 hotspot considering the pathetic domestic response there so far.

f4f3a

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:07 pm

If airlines are going to struggle can we see governments stepping in to help in us or Europe ? In China airlines seem to be getting help to stay afloat

readytotaxi

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:11 pm

jsfr wrote:
factsonly wrote:
KingB123 wrote:
BA and VIRGIN ATLANTIC are rubbing their hands tonight!!!

A huge misunderstanding here on A.net.

The US did NOT ban Schengen airlines from flying to the USA, but banned persons who visited Schengen countries over the last 14 days from entry into the USA (with quite a few exceptions).

Network carriers such as US3, AF, LH or KL can technically still fly connecting passengers from Africa/India/Middle East/Russia/Turkey etc.. to the USA.
It remains to be seen if this traffic is sufficient to keep any flights operating.

BA and VS carry a lot of Schengen passport holders to the USA and are therefore also heavily impacted.
o

However, AF pilots and cabin crew are not.... Hence AF is cancelling all US flights. Even today (just before the ban starts) they are refusing to fly outbound passengers to the US as they won’t be able to fly them back...

But AF have flights in the air to JFK MIA ATL now?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

hvusslax

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
jsfr wrote:
factsonly wrote:

Is this actually confirmed regarding entry ban on non-US crews?

WaywardMemphian

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 pm

hvusslax wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
hvusslax wrote:

I guess. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the tables turn completely over the next weeks and the US takes over the role of the global COVID19 hotspot considering the pathetic domestic response there so far.

We'll see if warmer temps have an effect. It going to hit 27C/80F here in NWA.

I am absolutely shocked there has been no confirmed cases in Northwest Arkansas considering the business tand University
Traffic via XNA.

zkojq

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:21 pm

I flew into Melbourne this afternoon on Singapore Airlines. Flight didn't have all that many empty seats. All crew were wearing face masks the entire flight. Upon arrival in Melbourne though there were no temperature scanners for international pax which I would have expected. Only signs saying that if you were feeling unwell to speak to a customs/immigration officer and the pre e-gate computer was asking questions about travel history since early February.

downtown273 wrote:
I am a Spanish passport holder living in the UK. The US authorities would have no way of knowing whether I've been to anywhere in mainland Europe upon arrival to the US, because our passports don't get stamped within EU travel. And even if they did, I never use my passport to travel to mainland Europe - I use my Spanish ID Card which is completely unlinked to my passport.

Europe shares EU passenger data with the US unfortunately. If you fly NCE-FRA the US knows about it, even though the itinerary doesn't touch US airspace, let alone a US city.
First to fly the 787-9

asuflyer

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:25 pm

Jetblue flight from JFK to PBI had a confirmed coronavirus pax onboard. Upon landing the pax had to wait 2 hours to disembark and were told to monitor their symptoms.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/passengers ... c/31409321

LAXdude1023

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:26 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
hvusslax wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

We'll see if warmer temps have an effect. It going to hit 27C/80F here in NWA.

I am absolutely shocked there has been no confirmed cases in Northwest Arkansas considering the business tand University
Traffic via XNA.

Based on the number of cases in Western Europe vs. the Southeast Asia, I think its probably pretty safe to say that warm weather and humidity do slow it down. It wont go away completely though.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

kyrone

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:32 pm

I was also wondering how this works with airline crews. If they are not allowed entry into the U.S. I would assume it would pose many challenges. Even outside the fact that they are interacting and possibly infecting the passengers.

SurlyBonds

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:39 pm

FabDiva wrote:
Thunderbolt500 wrote:

The Icelandic volcano in 2010.

ikarlson

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:41 pm

zkojq wrote:
I flew into Melbourne this afternoon on Singapore Airlines. Flight didn't have all that many empty seats. All crew were wearing face masks the entire flight. Upon arrival in Melbourne though there were no temperature scanners for international pax which I would have expected. Only signs saying that if you were feeling unwell to speak to a customs/immigration officer and the pre e-gate computer was asking questions about travel history since early February.

Lots of passengers on your flights could be that Formula 1 race that might take place tomorrow, which hopefully will be canceled.

Flanker7

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:50 pm

I suppose taxiways and runways will be used, depending on size Airport and number of runways.
Flying blue only if possible

jayunited

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:08 pm

When UA announced the 20% international reduction and 10% domestic reduction they told us here at Willis Tower UA is looking to park aircraft at airports like CLE, HOU, IAH and IAD.

I think UA will park as many widebodies as they can at the hubs by fleet type 787s-LAX, SFO, IAH, DEN, EWR; 777s- SFO, ORD, IAD, IAH, EWR; 767s-ORD, IAD, and EWR. I can see narrowbodies going to HOU, CLE and of course our hubs as well maybe even a few line stations where UA conducts line maintenance places like MCO, TPA, PDX, SEA I think over the next few weeks maintenance departments across the system are going to be busy because this represents a rare opportunity to really catch up on maintenance related work.

Sooner787

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:11 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Here is a list of routes between the US and Europe operating this week prior to the ban being announced, lets see how much of it get's cut

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-15mar20/

Icelandair just got wrecked....
Luckily, they can still run the fish cargo.

When this EU travel ban was announced last night, first airline I thought of was Norwegian - DY

They're already on shaky ground financially, can they survive this 30 day ban?

zkojq

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:23 pm

ikarlson wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Lots of passengers on your flights could be that Formula 1 race that might take place tomorrow, which hopefully will be canceled.

Well yes, including me! I noticed plenty of other pax wearing F1 merchandise of various teams. And I was wearing the relevant hat for my display picture :lol: . It will be a real shame if the race is cancelled, but I do appreciate the public health reasons for doing so. Just a shame they didn't cancel it a week ago - most international fans are here already. Airport was filled with people wearing Formula One merchandise.

If it is cancelled though, you're going to have tens of thousands of angry F1 fans wandering around the streets of Melbourne trying to find something to do and interacting with plenty of people as they do so. Not sure that's going to be too much of a public health net benifit....

Whilst most airlines are proactive about cancellation and rebooking policies, I'm guessing most hotels are not.
First to fly the 787-9

piedmontf284000

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 pm

American capping fares to get everyone home from Europe before travel ban goes into effect. Enormous demand right now for US bound travelers. Hopefully all other airlines follow suit

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/america ... tions.html

SQ001

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:29 pm

so AA cancelled flights to mainland China until OCT 23, suspending 6 months worth of flights. Looks like they're giving up summer traffic. If the virus situation improves, will they restore the flights earlier than expected? Hopefully by summer the virus situation will get better.

kavok

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:32 pm

In truth, the best predictor of how things will unfold is probably Italy. A lot of people in the science field believe that many western nations are a basically a few weeks behind Italy, meaning the large virus breakouts are just a matter of time and spreading grows exponentially.

The key question then is how long does Italy remain in lockdown? Do things get back to normal (locally) in Italy in a couple weeks, or is this a long term lockdown? If the answer is that Italy can return to some form of normalcy by April, you can be optimistic that summer air-travel will resume to 75% normal-ish, with a slight decline caused by this fear. But if the Italy lockdown becomes (and need to be) a long term thing, then we could be realistically looking a draconian steps in the airline industry being implemented for much of 2020.

aden23

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:35 pm

Does this seem like BS pandering to anyone else?

I can still fly nonstop between the US, China, and South Korea.

What’s the point of banning Poles, Finns, and Swiss, but allowing folks from the epicenter of the virus to come and go as they please?

CarbHeatIn

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 pm

Air crew visa holders are exempt from the ban

avier

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 pm

aden23 wrote:

What’s the point of banning Poles, Finns, and Swiss, but allowing folks from the epicenter of the virus to come and go as they please?

Politics and trade you see. They can't stop all connections from US to China as the huge trade would halt. I'm sure airlines carry lot of freight too.
Qatar too banned 14 nations from entering their country, and they were ones with very few or nil cases. They didn't include US, Italy, Japan etc.

GCT64

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 pm

FabDiva wrote:
Thunderbolt500 wrote:

During the Icelandic volcano eruption?
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

GCT64

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:49 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
American capping fares to get everyone home from Europe before travel ban goes into effect. Enormous demand right now for US bound travelers. Hopefully all other airlines follow suit

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/america ... tions.html

But doesn't the ban exclude American citizens returning home?

"The Department of Homeland Security issued a statement after Mr. Trump’s remarks clarifying that the ban did not “apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.”"
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

avier

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:53 pm

GCT64 wrote:
But doesn't the ban exclude American citizens returning home?

"The Department of Homeland Security issued a statement after Mr. Trump’s remarks clarifying that the ban did not “apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.”"

Right, but the airlines could cut down on flights between US-EU as a lot of traffic is lost out on the ban imposed on EU citizens. Reduced flights would put fear on a how to get back home- for US citizens.

Revelation

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:54 pm

Interesting viewgraph posted by Scott Hamilton of Leeham News:

Ref: https://twitter.com/LeehamNews/status/1 ... 4767167489

This is what a pandemic looks like.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

metalinyoni

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:55 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Kemble is my local.

On an aside is it possible to find out when some large aircraft are due to fly into Kemble? I live in Cirencester and would love to see a 747 or something like that come into Kemble.
300, 310, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 342, 343, 345, 346, 380, 707, 727, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 742, 74L, 743, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 772, 77L 773, 77W, D10, AT46, AT76, AT75, 142, DH3, ER4, AR1, AR8

eta unknown

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 pm

Milan Linate airport to temporarily close, Malpensa still open.

WA707atMSP

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:58 pm

jayunited wrote:
When UA announced the 20% international reduction and 10% domestic reduction they told us here at Willis Tower UA is looking to park aircraft at airports like CLE, HOU, IAH and IAD.

I think UA will park as many widebodies as they can at the hubs by fleet type 787s-LAX, SFO, IAH, DEN, EWR; 777s- SFO, ORD, IAD, IAH, EWR; 767s-ORD, IAD, and EWR. I can see narrowbodies going to HOU, CLE and of course our hubs as well maybe even a few line stations where UA conducts line maintenance places like MCO, TPA, PDX, SEA I think over the next few weeks maintenance departments across the system are going to be busy because this represents a rare opportunity to really catch up on maintenance related work.

The much bigger issue is that the impact of corona virus is likely to trigger a recession. A recession would cause large numbers of aircraft to be placed in desert storage because the economy will take years to recover, and accelerate the permanent retirement of 757s, 767s, and non-neo A320s.

RvA

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:02 pm

f4f3a wrote:
If airlines are going to struggle can we see governments stepping in to help in us or Europe ? In China airlines seem to be getting help to stay afloat

So far employees in most EU countries will have a majority of their salary taken over by the government as they go into unpaid time or have to work reduced hours etc.

PixelFlight

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:19 pm

aden23 wrote:

Swiss here, a few dozen kilometers from the Italian and French border. The situation is far worse than then government admit with contamination rate doubling each 2 days. WHO yesterday aggressively pointed on the "alarming level of inaction". WHO refused to name the countries that take no or bad decisions but there example of bad decisions point to exactly to what the Swiss government have do the last couple of days. Don't go here or anywhere in Europe right now. The big wave is definitely coming and will grow each day where no strongly appropriate actions are put in place. I don't expect the borders to remain open until the end of next week. Swiss / Italian border is already fully closed for anything that don't have a justification.

There is actually only two countries that have successful reduced the contamination rate: China and South Korea. Japan tried very hard and have so far limited the grow rate to a minimum, but seem to slowly loosing the last couple of days. All others countries actually still experience increasing contamination rate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgylp3Td1Bw
Last edited by PixelFlight on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:stirthepot: 737-8 MAX: "For all speeds higher than 220 Kts and trim set at a value of 2.5 units, the difficulity level of turning the manual trim wheel was level A (trim wheel not movable)." :stirthepot:

cskok8

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 pm

babastud wrote:
INDIA has banned entry to all non-citizens from EU and USA till April 15th. This includes OCI card holders.

They are banning all non-citizens

Adipocere

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:36 pm

ro1960 wrote:
marcelh wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
For those still in doubt, the travel ban doesn't include cargo, and it only covers Schengen treaty nations.

Why Schengen? Because of the freedom of travel between these nations. The UK is not, or has ever been part of Schengen.

There is also freedom of travel between the EU and the UK. Those border controls are nothing more than waving your passport

Incorrect. It’s a proper border control by the EU and the UK authorities. Be it by rail or by air.

Just scanning your passport while exchanging a couple of words does not make a “proper” border control. A good controller border would require the traveler to arrange for a visa sticker in their passport before commencing the travel - and that too after being required to submit biometrics, financial/ character and travel documentation during an in-person interview at the embassy. The visa sticker should be valid only for the expressed duration of stay - 1 week or a month at most and none of this 90/180 day exemption nonsense.
Last edited by Adipocere on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ikarlson

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:36 pm

zkojq wrote:
ikarlson wrote:
zkojq wrote:

If it is cancelled though, you're going to have tens of thousands of angry F1 fans wandering around the streets of Melbourne trying to find something to do and interacting with plenty of people as they do so. Not sure that's going to be too much of a public health net benifit....

Whilst most airlines are proactive about cancellation and rebooking policies, I'm guessing most hotels are not.

Sorry to hear it, but BBC just said that it's canceled, sad that so many people flew from all other the world just to see it getting postponed

factsonly

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Finnair is cancelling all flights to the US between 19 March and 12 April due to the US Government’s travel restrictions. Finnair is also cancelling its flights to Delhi between 15 March and 14 April due to recent visa restrictions.

Finnair flies from Helsinki to New York and back until 18 March, in order to fly customers home. For flights departing 14 - 18 March, restrictions on Schengen passengers going to the US will be in effect as specified by the US authorities. Finnair also flies to Los Angeles on Sunday 15 March and to Miami today, 12 March.

Finnair is continuously following the impacts of the coronavirus situation. Due to the decreased transfer passenger loads caused by these cancelations, further impacts on Finnair’s narrow-body traffic in Europe are to be expected. Finnair will communicate these changes once such decisions are made.

Finnair will communicate flight cancellations directly to customers who have bookings on these flights. Customers can then either seek for a full ticket refund or postpone their travel by contacting Finnair’s customer services. Unfortunately, the customer service lines are very congested at the moment, so we suggest customers who don’t have bookings for immediate departures to contact Finnair’s customer services at a later stage.

In addition, Finnair is offering customers with bookings on Finnair flights full flexibility to change their travel dates without a change fee until 30 November, 2020.

https://company.finnair.com/en/media/al ... id=3597687

bennett123

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:55 pm

eta unknown

Linate is mostly internal with Malpensa being international.

Is that correct?.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos