Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CriticalPoint

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:49 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
piedmontf284000 wrote:
United to cut international flights by 20 percent and domestic by 10 percent. They will also park dozens of widebodies. I imagine there will be furloughs coming very soon for some pilots and flight attendants

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/united- ... break.html

You care to highlight the quote about parking dozens of Widebodies?

Also furloughs are extremely expensive....unless guidance suggests this is a 2+ year cut then you won’t see any furloughs....atleast on the pilot side.

Bostrom

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:51 pm

Finnair suspends flights to Milan, South Korea and Japan in addition to the already suspended flights to China. https://www.finnair.com/se-sv/flight-in ... el-updates

LNCS0930

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:53 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
piedmontf284000 wrote:
United to cut international flights by 20 percent and domestic by 10 percent. They will also park dozens of widebodies. I imagine there will be furloughs coming very soon for some pilots and flight attendants

Also furloughs are extremely expensive....unless guidance suggests this is a 2+ year cut then you won’t see any furloughs....atleast on the pilot side.

Pay cuts would be more likely since these carriers have all given raises for 8-10 years consecutive now.

tootallsd

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:54 pm

United1 wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

Dozens of widebodies is a bit of an exaggeration but they do plan on temporarily parking some of the fleet.

CNN included a hiring freeze at United in their on air coverage.

LNCS0930

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:59 pm

tootallsd wrote:
United1 wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

Dozens of widebodies is a bit of an exaggeration but they do plan on temporarily parking some of the fleet.

CNN included a hiring freeze at United in their on air coverage.

I have also found those to be counterproductive because don't you just end up paying out more in OT if you have sick calls/retirements than you would just hiring new people?
Last edited by LNCS0930 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CriticalPoint

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:00 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
piedmontf284000 wrote:

Pay cuts would be more likely since these carriers have all given raises for 8-10 years consecutive now.

You can’t give pay Cuts to union employees with out a union vote on an amended CBA or bankruptcy.

United1

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:07 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
piedmontf284000 wrote:

It sounds like April and May will likely have the deepest cuts. When things start to level off, and they will, UA will start ramping back up. I don’t think there will be any furloughs in the traditional sense rather UA will ask for voluntary short term leaves.

AA and DL will be doing the same shortly.

1989worstyear

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:09 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:

Do we know which WB's will be retired?

LNCS0930

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:11 pm

United1 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
piedmontf284000 wrote:

It sounds like April and May will likely have the deepest cuts. When things start to level off, and they will, UA will start ramping back up. I don’t think there will be any furloughs in the traditional sense rather UA will ask for voluntary short term leaves.

How does a temporary furlough differ from a short term leave? Isn't the employee not being payed in both cases?

United1

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:19 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
United1 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]

How does a temporary furlough differ from a short term leave? Isn't the employee not being payed in both cases?

Voluntary leaves would be offered to the most senior employees first then down the line until they get enough folks. A regular furlough would be involuntarily laying off the most Jr employees first. Last time UA did this the employees kept their health care and flight privileges for the duration of the leave. They would loose both of those if they were furloughed.

CriticalPoint

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:20 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
United1 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]

Furloughs are expensive. Every time pilots have been furloughed, 79’ 03’ 08’, the pilots were out for 5+ years.

You have to remember everything in the pilots world is seniority based. Let’s say they park the 767s. There are 767 CAs that can hold the 787 and the 777. So they displace to 777/787 CA. The 787 is more senior to the 777 so 787 CAs get pushed out the bottom and go to the 777. They push 777CAs out the bottom who go to the Airbus because it’s more comfortable and push Airbus CAs our the bottom they then want to keep their CA seat so they go to the 737 and push 737 CAs out of the bottom. They go to Widbody FO and it all starts over again until you end up with the furloughed pilots who don’t have a seat...........the training is massive

Also if you involuntarily displace a Pilot our of their base the company has to pay to move them to their new base.

Unless this downturn lasts for multiple years furloughs will not happen.
Last edited by CriticalPoint on Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetmatt777

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:21 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
United1 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]

One is voluntary while one is not. Many people have spouses with good incomes or are in a good financial position, so they gobble up any voluntary blocks of time off. In many cases it is a win-win. The company can reduce payroll without having to force people to take a furlough.

LNCS0930

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:29 pm

United1 wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:
United1 wrote:

Voluntary leaves would be offered to the most senior employees first then down the line until they get enough folks. A regular furlough would be involuntarily laying off the most Jr employees first. Last time UA did this the employees kept their health care and flight privileges for the duration of the leave. They would loose both of those if they were furloughed.

Makes sense. Don't they also on occasion totally reset hire date seniority and pay after these furloughs? I know I came across an airline employee back in the mid 2000s who could not believe they did not give their initial hire date from the 1980s back despite they only were furloughed for 4 or 5 months.

acomp

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:34 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/290073/starlux-cancels-penang-in-marchapril-2020/

Definitely not good for Starlux as they're now down to a single daily flight. They couldn't pick a worse time to start the airline :(.

Starlux will suspend Taipei - Penang route from 3/8 (The last remaining route is Taipei - Da Nang).
Luckily, they only have 3 A320NEOs.

United1

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:38 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
United1 wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

Makes sense. Don't they also on occasion totally reset hire date seniority and pay after these furloughs? I know I came across an airline employee back in the mid 2000s who could not believe they did not give their initial hire date from the 1980s back despite they only were furloughed for 4 or 5 months.

Afraid I don’t know enough about how the seniority lists are set up to even hazard a guess.

CriticalPoint

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:46 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
United1 wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

No they do not reset seniority or longevity for pay nor bidding. However they can freeze it. So if you are furloughed at 2 years and are out for 2 years you come back at 2 years not 4.

LNCS0930

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:53 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:
United1 wrote:

No they do not reset seniority or longevity for pay nor bidding. However they can freeze it. So if you are furloughed at 2 years and are out for 2 years you come back at 2 years not 4.

I guess that does not really matter though since one would assume everyone beneath you in your area of work also was furloughed. Though on second thought I guess if you have a seniority based scale of pay you'd now have lost 2 years of gaining on it.

Scarebus34

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:00 pm

I am going to go out on a limb and say this won't last long enough for furloughs to be necessary. China seems to mostly have the issue under control now with their reported cases plummeting. Now - it has spread to other parts of the world where the same cycle is likely to take place. Look at places like Singapore where they have been able to contain the spread among its population pretty well. A lot of this is hype because its a new virus...

JoseSalazar

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:04 pm

United1 wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:
United1 wrote:

Afraid I don’t know enough about how the seniority lists are set up to even hazard a guess.

It depends on the pilot contract. At B6, pilots accrue and retain seniority and longevity while on furlough. But if they bypass recall, it then freezes.

Clackers

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:05 pm

Why has Malaysia been suspiciously devoid of any Coronavirus cases? Seems to be lucky for MH, as it has not been a good decade for them due to unforeseen circumstances.

Kilopond

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:06 pm

Israel has banned or heavily restricted entry from France, Germany, Spain, Austria and Switzerland.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-dr ... tine-list/

bfitzflyer

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:09 pm

I am thinking this could be the beginning of the end for some of the poorly run/vulnerable airlines like AS or Norwegian

CALMSP

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:12 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:
I am thinking this could be the beginning of the end for some of the poorly run/vulnerable airlines like AS or Norwegian

I didn't realize AS is considered poorly run and vulnerable :scratchchin:

usa330300

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:15 pm

[list=][/list]
jeffrey0032j wrote:
Nobody believed me a month ago (or more than that) that this will bad.

It isn't that bad. Mostly media hype.

bfitzflyer

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 pm

CALMSP wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

Given most of their moves since no longer partnering with dl to wasting money on virgin and then retreating to Seattle, I would say not particularly well run is probably accurate

Scarebus34

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:17 pm

usa330300 wrote:
[list=][/list]
jeffrey0032j wrote:

Yep. It’s new. So the hysteria is in full effect.

LNCS0930

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:21 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
usa330300 wrote:
[list=][/list]
jeffrey0032j wrote:

Yep. It’s new. So the hysteria is in full effect.

Its not media hype anymore.. it WAS last week but then we started getting these outbreaks in the US and that was it. Media or not everyone would be cancelling trips now

Eagleboy

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:24 pm

Aither wrote:
Looking at the statistics it really looks like the virus is not spreading in hot places.

Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Morocco,

Cases can’t be detected without tests, and tests don’t happen without people showing severe symptoms.
Give it time.

lhrnue

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:29 pm

I have visibility of the number of departing checked-in bags at one of the major European hub airports The daily departing number of bags this weeks is about 30% below the forecast … and these forecasts a very precise.

LAXintl

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:48 pm

LAX Medical Screener Tests Positive For Coronavirus
https://breaking911.com/breaking-lax-me ... ronavirus/

This among 6 confirmed cases in LA County. All were travel related - 3 visited Italy, and others from visiting a positive family member located outside LA.

smokeybandit

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:55 pm

US Airlines are now providing manifests to help identify passengers who would have been sitting near a passenger who tested positive.

blandy62

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:59 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
Aither wrote:
Looking at the statistics it really looks like the virus is not spreading in hot places.

Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Morocco,

Cases can’t be detected without tests, and tests don’t happen without people showing severe symptoms.
Give it time.

Hong Kong is not hot at the moment

UA444

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:04 pm

And POTUS got blasted for having a travel ban to heavily affected areas. Maybe he was on to something

dampfnudel

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:13 pm

It’s nice to see airlines have finally followed JetBlue’s lead by waiving change and cancellation fees. It took a few days, but they finally realized that things probably won’t get better anytime soon and most likely will get significantly worse.

phxa340

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

Given most of their moves since no longer partnering with dl to wasting money on virgin and then retreating to Seattle, I would say not particularly well run is probably accurate

Yea - no to all of this. AS has ample cash reserves, resources and an extremely engaged work force that can help weather the storm. If you had said AA with their debt load I would believe you.

JoseSalazar

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:49 pm

B6 just sent an email announcing cutting capacity by an initial 5%, among other things.

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:25 am

1989worstyear wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

Do we know which WB's will be retired?

The verb in the CNBC piece is park, not retire. Can you point to sources that say UA has decided to permanently retire aircraft at this time?

MareBorealis

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:27 am

Bostrom wrote:
Finnair suspends flights to Milan, South Korea and Japan in addition to the already suspended flights to China. https://www.finnair.com/se-sv/flight-in ... el-updates

Japan not much effected at this point, details from AY:

>Japan: KIX will be served 10x weekly instead of 12x weekly in S20

>Mainland China: The suspension of flights will be continued until 30 April 2020

>Hong Kong: 1 of 2 daily flights to HKG is suspended until the end of April 2020

>Korea: Flights to ICN are suspended until 16 Apr 2020, the launch of PUS has been postponed until 1 Jul 2020

>Milan (MXP) suspended from March 9 to April 7, 2020

https://company.finnair.com/en/media/al ... id=3590861
Last edited by MareBorealis on Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

jco613

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:38 am

If I’m being honest, times like this are the best to travel. Cheap trips and empty flights/hotels. The risk is still low so maybe I’ll take advantage of this hype...

MareBorealis

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:52 am

jco613 wrote:
If I’m being honest, times like this are the best to travel. Cheap trips and empty flights/hotels. The risk is still low so maybe I’ll take advantage of this hype...

My biggest fear would be a quarantine, someone gets infected in your hotel and you will be locked in for two weeks

Pi7472000

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:55 am

jco613 wrote:

That is true! I just booked a trip to Kona which I will take in a week and half from DEN on UA. Only 406 round trip. It is a fare on Orbitz and I have to go KOA-SFO-SAN-DEN on the return, but great fare for a week and half out and got all aisle seats with open middles. The flight out is more full. I had checked last month and could not find a fare under 650 to KOA from DEN.

I hope they have stepped up their cleaning of airplanes for COVID-19 as in the past I have boarded UA flights to find dirty seats and tray tables. I have not seen U.S. talk about increasing turn times to make sure they are properly cleaning planes in the wake of COVID-19. It is nice I can re-book without fees if the situation gets worse as I will. My concern is getting caught in a hotel with someone who has COVID19 and not being able to leave.

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:58 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
B6 just sent an email announcing cutting capacity by an initial 5%, among other things.

Reuters has cited that internal memo:

JetBlue said in a memo Wednesday seen by Reuters that it was cutting capacity by approximately 5% “in the near term to address the fall in demand” as a result of the coronavirus and said it assessing if more cuts are needed.

JetBlue is taking other steps “aimed at preserving cash” including “delaying or canceling upcoming events and meetings” and “reducing hiring for frontline and support center positions.” It is also considering voluntary time-off programs and is “limiting non-essential spending.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN20R309

hiflyeras

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:33 am

bfitzflyer wrote:

At first I thought it was a typo but apparently you were serious about AS. Look it up...AS has over $1 billion dollars in the bank. I'm not sure how you judge a 'successful' airline vs. a poorly run one.

Waterbomber2

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:40 am

Domestic bookings in Japan have fallen 40% YoY according to JAL and ANA.

Both airlines say domestic bookings for March are down approximately 40% from the same month last year. ANA, part of ANA Holdings, offers 17 round-trip flights between Haneda and New Chitose airports, while JAL has 16.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coron ... s-outbreak

This while Japan isn't even reporting the full extent of the infections.

jco613

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:15 am

[twoid][/twoid]
MareBorealis wrote:
jco613 wrote:

My biggest fear would be a quarantine, someone gets infected in your hotel and you will be locked in for two weeks

Two extra weeks off from work. Not all bad. Hope my boss doesn’t read this!

Thunderbolt500

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:56 am

I would be concerned that the plane are clean

AA747123

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:58 am

One would think if this extends well into the busy summer travel season, Europe will be hit hard, and the US travel could be as well. AA would be very vulnerable to losses and possible CH11 with over $34 billion in debt.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:00 am

Australia has now extended travel ban to South Korea

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... b5214c0945

So far JQ has cancelled OOL-ICN, KE has cancelled BNE-ICN and SYD-ICN has been reduced to 4 weekly, nothing from Asiana yet but expect an announcement is imminent

AAIL86

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:01 am

Asiaflyer wrote:
I find it selfish and irresponsible by airlines to encourage travel by dumping prices. Travel should now be limited to what only is absolute neccessary.
The company I work for has banned all international business travel since one week ago.

The only way to stop the virus to further spread and cause a pandemic situation is stop all travel. It will hurt airlines and hotels like crazy but the cost for goverments supporting airlines would be very small comparing to the cost of a serious pandemic.

A little extreme, isn't it? I mean, banning travel completely? I definitely understand the desire by both governments and private citizens to limit it during an event like this. I also get it, it's a new disease so that makes the fear factor higher.
However lets keep things in context.
Globally, ~3300 people die daily from car accidents. Tens of thousands more die daily from other diseases. How many are dying from this, 100 a day? 200?
Living life involves some degree of risk. Should travel be banned because over a million people a year die globally from car accidents?
Last edited by AAIL86 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dampfnudel

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:01 am

Flybe going into administration, coronavirus influenced decision.

https://news.sky.com/story/flybe-boss-t ... n-11949899

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos