Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blacksoviet

Re: U.S. Air Rebranding to U.S. Airways

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:01 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Wolf changed the name and livery to make a world class airline, he said USAir said like a national or regional carrier.

US Airways was anything but world-class. And that's certainly not just my opinion. I knew a captain who left US Airways and started at the bottom again at Delta.

What was Business Class like on their 767-200s?

chepos

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:13 am

blacksoviet wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Wolf changed the name and livery to make a world class airline, he said USAir said like a national or regional carrier.

US Airways was anything but world-class. And that's certainly not just my opinion. I knew a captain who left US Airways and started at the bottom again at Delta.

There is quite a few videos on youtube that show the 767 cabin. There is actually an excellent nose to tail interior video (of a refurbished and pre refurbishment 767).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

blacksoviet

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:20 am

chepos wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

There is quite a few videos on youtube that show the 767 cabin. There is actually an excellent nose to tail interior video (of a refurbished and pre refurbishment 767).

Did any of the 767s or A330s have First Class?

N383SW

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:26 am

blacksoviet wrote:
chepos wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

The 330-300’s had 6 First Class seats, iirc lie flat and (at the time of delivery) were actually one of a kind at the time.. 9/11 changed all of that and they were eventually just sold as Envoy class or Chairman’s Preferred were upgraded. That was so long ago so forgive If I’m a little fuzzy.

blacksoviet

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:31 am

D L X wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
UA444 wrote:
Or Continental, who needed two bankruptcies and a strong economy they had no hand in creating to survive

And US Airways was Stephen Wolf’s doing. He wanted a more business like airline and the name change was supposed to reflect that. He also was madly in love with the color grey.

What made him think business travelers would want to fly on his disgusting planes and subpar service? I remember seeing photos posted of filthy furniture in their clubs, mold growing in air vents on the planes, and F seats with tape on them. US Airways was not known for exceptional service. Far from it.

Well, how old are you? Because in the late nineties, US already had set the standard for business travel around the northeast corridor, inherited from Eastern.

chepos wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Why did Donald Carty allow BA to have a relationship with US Air?

British Airways invested in US in 93, they had a transatlantic alliance between the two (before AA). In 96 BA hooked up with AA and went ahead with selling their stake in USAir (resulting in a court battle).

No, the answer was that the BA/US alliance came before the BA/AA alliance. The change to US Airways was in part to make people think that US was closer to BA than AA was.

US-BA was the genesis of global alliances.

US WAS THE GENESIS OF GLOBAL ALLIANCES.

In so many ways, US was the most underrated airline in aviation history. Not only did US basically create the 737-300 and 737-400 (they saw what could be improved in the 732 and gave Boeing design ideas), it creates the alliance and the herringbone business class. (Look it up! It wasn’t CP or AA or AC. I’m right!)

I flew AA BOS-LAX in 1998 earning US miles because of the BA-US alliance, which was highly advertised on the east coast.

USAirALB wrote:
D L X wrote:
HP had a LOT of 737s still, and a lot of 757s, and Doug Parker didn’t share the all-Airbus Philosophy.

Also, 9/11 slowed the retirement of 767s, causing US not to pick up all its A330 options. (Which I think we’re eventually converted to A350 options, then ultimately A321s.)

(Imagine a 737-Max style grounding on an airline with only one type.)

Respectfully, I disagree. Prior to the AA merger, US was well on its way to being an all Airbus carrier. The 762s/734s were on their way out, and leaving only the 752s as the only Boeing aircraft. IIRC they would have lasted for quite a while, as I seem to recall hearing that plans were being made internally to refurbish them completely.

I am not so sure about the A330 options. US placed an order for A332s after the merger (and also had options for A340s, not sure what type) almost around the same time as the A350. Originally they were to be the launch carrier for the original A350 (which was basically an A330 Lite) and then were to be the North American launch carrier for the redesigned (today's) A350.

US merged with AA years after it merged with HP. Doug Parker by then had made clear that he didn’t care about being all-Airbus like Wolf had, hence the cessation of getting rid of 757s and 762s, and notably the 734s. The HP 757s became international and Hawaii fleet. The 762s were going away before merging with AA, but that merger stalled their departure ever so slightly. All-in-all, the trend to go all-airbus collapsed long before the US-AA merger.

Remember, the US 757s were ex-EA!! Old as shiz. The HP ones were newer. The AA ones were a mix.

As for the 332’s, those were not in the original 1998 order. https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... c10851649/

You should snoop around a.net for the timing, but the A332 order came much later, and the A340 was never really an option.

US was the freakin’ launch customer for the A350 until no one else wanted it, and the a350 turned into a much larger plane that US didn’t need.

Which merger are you talking about, US-HP or US(new)-AA?

I thought Southwest was the launch customer for the 737-300.

blacksoviet

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:33 am

N383SW wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
chepos wrote:

The 330-300’s had 6 First Class seats, iirc lie flat and (at the time of delivery) were actually one of a kind at the time.. 9/11 changed all of that and they were eventually just sold as Envoy class or Chairman’s Preferred were upgraded. That was so long ago so forgive If I’m a little fuzzy.

That is interesting. What kind of routes were these A330-300s used on?

Lootess

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:12 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

There was a point US Airways was on their way to a world-class well into their Airbus expansion, they had meals in all cabins on short and long-haul before 9/11. Even the Shuttle had meals, and that was bread-and-butter to them at the time.

Just as I mentioned earlier the government not re-opening DCA as soon as possible sent the airline in a whole lot of trouble quicker. Well over a month, and it was limited service to LGA,BOS,PIT only. CLT and PHL didn't get re-connected for two months.

D L X

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:58 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
D L X wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

What made him think business travelers would want to fly on his disgusting planes and subpar service? I remember seeing photos posted of filthy furniture in their clubs, mold growing in air vents on the planes, and F seats with tape on them. US Airways was not known for exceptional service. Far from it.

Well, how old are you? Because in the late nineties, US already had set the standard for business travel around the northeast corridor, inherited from Eastern.

chepos wrote:

British Airways invested in US in 93, they had a transatlantic alliance between the two (before AA). In 96 BA hooked up with AA and went ahead with selling their stake in USAir (resulting in a court battle).

No, the answer was that the BA/US alliance came before the BA/AA alliance. The change to US Airways was in part to make people think that US was closer to BA than AA was.

US-BA was the genesis of global alliances.

US WAS THE GENESIS OF GLOBAL ALLIANCES.

In so many ways, US was the most underrated airline in aviation history. Not only did US basically create the 737-300 and 737-400 (they saw what could be improved in the 732 and gave Boeing design ideas), it creates the alliance and the herringbone business class. (Look it up! It wasn’t CP or AA or AC. I’m right!)

I flew AA BOS-LAX in 1998 earning US miles because of the BA-US alliance, which was highly advertised on the east coast.

USAirALB wrote:
Respectfully, I disagree. Prior to the AA merger, US was well on its way to being an all Airbus carrier. The 762s/734s were on their way out, and leaving only the 752s as the only Boeing aircraft. IIRC they would have lasted for quite a while, as I seem to recall hearing that plans were being made internally to refurbish them completely.

I am not so sure about the A330 options. US placed an order for A332s after the merger (and also had options for A340s, not sure what type) almost around the same time as the A350. Originally they were to be the launch carrier for the original A350 (which was basically an A330 Lite) and then were to be the North American launch carrier for the redesigned (today's) A350.

US merged with AA years after it merged with HP. Doug Parker by then had made clear that he didn’t care about being all-Airbus like Wolf had, hence the cessation of getting rid of 757s and 762s, and notably the 734s. The HP 757s became international and Hawaii fleet. The 762s were going away before merging with AA, but that merger stalled their departure ever so slightly. All-in-all, the trend to go all-airbus collapsed long before the US-AA merger.

Remember, the US 757s were ex-EA!! Old as shiz. The HP ones were newer. The AA ones were a mix.

As for the 332’s, those were not in the original 1998 order. https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... c10851649/

You should snoop around a.net for the timing, but the A332 order came much later, and the A340 was never really an option.

US was the freakin’ launch customer for the A350 until no one else wanted it, and the a350 turned into a much larger plane that US didn’t need.

Which merger are you talking about, US-HP or US(new)-AA?

I thought Southwest was the launch customer for the 737-300.

No, it was USAir.

From wiki: The prototype of the -300 rolled out of the Renton plant on January 17, 1984, and first flew on February 24, 1984. After it received its flight certification on November 14, 1984, USAir received the first aircraft on November 28.

D L X

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Some history on the 737-300 from back when it was still a paper plane:

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/03/10/busi ... 7-300.html

AKL321NX

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Unfortunately Still Allegheny In Reality?

D L X

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:11 pm

AKL321NX wrote:

It’s REALLY interesting how some people, particularly aviation enthusiasts, of all people, simply cannot let go of Allegheny.

Remember Don’t Expect Luggage To Arrive? How about “Untied?” Truth is, people have had it in for US for 50+ years. Most of you folks blasting them weren’t even alive back then, lol.

AKL321NX

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:20 pm

D L X wrote:
Remember Don’t Expect Luggage To Arrive? How about “Untied?” Truth is, people have had it in for US for 50+ years. Most of you folks blasting them weren’t even alive back then, lol.

Both funny if not accurate. Wordsmiths can have a joke right?

blacksoviet

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:40 pm

D L X wrote:

It is interesting that Ed Colodny continued ordering 737-200s even after the 737-300 was launched.

Lootess

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:10 pm

D L X wrote:
AKL321NX wrote:

It’s REALLY interesting how some people, particularly aviation enthusiasts, of all people, simply cannot let go of Allegheny.

There was also TED... the end of United.

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:20 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
What kind of routes were these A330-300s used on?

Europe and Brazil from CLT and PHL, though I DO recall seeing A330s between those two hubs (likely repo flights), and down to leisure markets like MCO and SJU. Actually, didn't US also fly its A330s to PHX at one point? Or were those just one-off flights?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Boof02671

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:24 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
What kind of routes were these A330-300s used on?

Europe and Brazil from CLT and PHL, though I DO recall seeing A330s between those two hubs (likely repo flights), and down to leisure markets like MCO and SJU. Actually, didn't US also fly its A330s to PHX at one point? Or were those just one-off flights?

Wasn’t used in Brazil, CLT and PHL to Europe were its primary routes

Roots1

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:33 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
N383SW wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

During the summer of 2001 (after all nine were delivered), they were flying

CLT-LGW
PHL-CDG/FCO/FRA/LGW/MAN/SJU
PIT-FRA/LGW

afcjets

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:59 pm

mats wrote:
The fleet was older, and thus had higher fuel and maintenance costs. Drawing from mergers and its own fleet, USAir had overlapping F28's, F100s, DC-9s, BAC 1-11s... it was a complicated and inefficient network.

IIRC US retired the BAC 1-11 before even merging with Piedmont and retired the F28 before Stephen Wolf took over in 1996. He is the one that changed the name to US Airways.

mats wrote:
USAir tried to establish a stronger North Atlantic presence through an alliance with British Airways. This included a bizarre "wet lease," in which USAir 767s were painted to look like BA aircraft.

They were more than just painted, they got compete BA interiors too which ended the original 2x1x2 forward cabin configuration from Piedmont. FAs also wore BA uniforms complete with hats. I remember flying on two 767s with the BA interior on CLT-PHL and PHL-LAX. The FAs were wearing US uniforms, but I can't remember if the exterior said US or BA. They wanted a standardized 767 cabin and US also flew them to CDG, FRA, and domestically.

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Instead of the reliable hourly shuttle service between Southern California and Northern California, customers experienced horrific delays, as that shuttle service was replaced with flights coming from the east coast, which were routinely delayed, driving customers away by the hundreds, and into the waiting arms of Southwest Airlines, to whom the PSA operating manuals were gifted shortly before absorption. Within a year, the PSA presence USAir had so wanted was gone.

While most of PSA's was dismantled soon after the merger, US continued to operate the California Shuttle between LAX and SFO for several more years. Even in 1995 a few flights still existed between LAX-SFO, LAX-LAS, LAS-SFO. They also flew LAX-SAN on a 757 but it was a thru flight from CLT which had nothing to do with PSA. They also had US Express flights to place like FAT, PSP, etc.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
Florida Shuttle even had its own frequent flier program, the "US Air Florida Shuttle Club" which like Southwest at the time gave awards based on segments flown.

The Florida Shuttle started with Piedmont in 1985 with the purchase of used F28-1000s. After that Piedmont purchased Empire Airlines which had a fleet of F28-4000s and a hub in SYR.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2HBIm2TV6o

D L X wrote:
In so many ways, US was the most underrated airline in aviation history. Not only did US basically create the 737-300 and 737-400 (they saw what could be improved in the 732 and gave Boeing design ideas)

US was the launch customer for the 733 and Piedmont was the launch customer for the 734.

Cointrin330 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
The 762s were real old. They were Piedmont 1980s builds

No way they would be flying today

About half of them were built and delivered to Piedmont in the 1980s for its CLT-FRA and CLT-LGW services. The others were ordered by USAir post merger.

Piedmont received six total beginning in May 1987 and launched them on 6/15/87 for the TPA-CLT-LGW flight which was their only transatlantic flight. Piedmont intended to fly them to FRA one day but FRA service didn't begin until a couple of years after the US merger. Piedmont also flew them on CLT-LAX, BWI-LAX, and BWI-TPA.

blacksoviet wrote:
How reliable were the US Air/Piedmont 762s compared to AA’s current 763s?

Considering the MAX crisis, does Doug Parker regret getting rid of them? In 2015 he was still using them to connect CLT with MCO and RSW.

I didn't realize US flew the 762 CLT-RSW but it doesn't surprise me.

blacksoviet wrote:
During their last couple months of service, the 767-200s were on the MCO-CLT route. It is rare to see a widebody on that route nowadays.

Actually in November and December, American had four A330 flights per day flying between CLT and MCO, which was half their flights.

USPIT10L wrote:
Wolf was a corporate raider who was coaxed into every head job he took (Republic, Flying Tigers, United, US Airways) and basically redid the image, then sold the company to an outside party, usually resulting in a merger or takeover. When the US/UA deal fell through in 2001, he had a lot of egg on his face. His reputation was basically ruined. I appreciate the geniune interest in the subject matter, but you have to realize airlines were not profitable all the time previously and although you would see some ceremony when certain fleet types were retired, not all types were created equal.

:checkmark:

Boof02671 wrote:

These are the sole reasons US changed the name to US Airways. Stephen Wolf was giving the airline a complete makeover so he could sell it for a high price.

chepos wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

There is quite a few videos on youtube that show the 767 cabin. There is actually an excellent nose to tail interior video (of a refurbished and pre refurbishment)

Here is a great nose to tail interior video of the 767s as delivered to Piedmont with the 2x1x2 forward cabin. It's taken at night before a Piedmont red-eye flight from LAX-BWI. The link should start at 8:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCndegVzMxU&t=8m12s

mga707

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:07 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
D L X wrote:

It is interesting that Ed Colodny continued ordering 737-200s even after the 737-300 was launched.

So did Delta and Western. Other carriers as well. The last 737-200 was delivered in 1987 (going from memory, may be off by a year), well after the -300 (and the -400 as well, I think) was in service.

blacksoviet

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:16 pm

afcjets wrote:
mats wrote:
The fleet was older, and thus had higher fuel and maintenance costs. Drawing from mergers and its own fleet, USAir had overlapping F28's, F100s, DC-9s, BAC 1-11s... it was a complicated and inefficient network.

IIRC US retired the BAC 1-11 before even merging with Piedmont and retired the F28 before Stephen Wolf took over in 1996. He is the one that changed the name to US Airways.

mats wrote:
USAir tried to establish a stronger North Atlantic presence through an alliance with British Airways. This included a bizarre "wet lease," in which USAir 767s were painted to look like BA aircraft.

They were more than just painted, they got compete BA interiors too which ended the original 2x1x2 forward cabin configuration from Piedmont. FAs also wore BA uniforms complete with hats. I remember flying on two 767s with the BA interior on CLT-PHL and PHL-LAX. The FAs were wearing US uniforms, but I can't remember if the exterior said US or BA. They wanted a standardized 767 cabin and US also flew them to CDG, FRA, and domestically.

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Instead of the reliable hourly shuttle service between Southern California and Northern California, customers experienced horrific delays, as that shuttle service was replaced with flights coming from the east coast, which were routinely delayed, driving customers away by the hundreds, and into the waiting arms of Southwest Airlines, to whom the PSA operating manuals were gifted shortly before absorption. Within a year, the PSA presence USAir had so wanted was gone.

While most of PSA's was dismantled soon after the merger, US continued to operate the California Shuttle between LAX and SFO for several more years. Even in 1995 a few flights still existed between LAX-SFO, LAX-LAS, LAS-SFO. They also flew LAX-SAN on a 757 but it was a thru flight from CLT which had nothing to do with PSA. They also had US Express flights to place like FAT, PSP, etc.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
Florida Shuttle even had its own frequent flier program, the "US Air Florida Shuttle Club" which like Southwest at the time gave awards based on segments flown.

The Florida Shuttle started with Piedmont in 1985 with the purchase of used F28-1000s. After that Piedmont purchased Empire Airlines which had a fleet of F28-4000s and a hub in SYR.

D L X wrote:
In so many ways, US was the most underrated airline in aviation history. Not only did US basically create the 737-300 and 737-400 (they saw what could be improved in the 732 and gave Boeing design ideas)

US was the launch customer for the 733 and Piedmont was the launch customer for the 734.

Cointrin330 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
The 762s were real old. They were Piedmont 1980s builds

No way they would be flying today

About half of them were built and delivered to Piedmont in the 1980s for its CLT-FRA and CLT-LGW services. The others were ordered by USAir post merger.

Piedmont received six total beginning in May 1987 and launched them on 6/15/87 for the TPA-CLT-LGW flight which was their only transatlantic flight. Piedmont intended to fly them to FRA one day but FRA service didn't begin until a couple of years after the US merger. Piedmont also flew them on CLT-LAX, BWI-LAX, and BWI-TPA.

blacksoviet wrote:

Considering the MAX crisis, does Doug Parker regret getting rid of them? In 2015 he was still using them to connect CLT with MCO and RSW.

blacksoviet wrote:
During their last couple months of service, the 767-200s were on the MCO-CLT route. It is rare to see a widebody on that route nowadays.

Actually in November and December, American had four A330 flights per day flying between CLT and MCO, which was half their flights.

USPIT10L wrote:
Wolf was a corporate raider who was coaxed into every head job he took (Republic, Flying Tigers, United, US Airways) and basically redid the image, then sold the company to an outside party, usually resulting in a merger or takeover. When the US/UA deal fell through in 2001, he had a lot of egg on his face. His reputation was basically ruined. I appreciate the geniune interest in the subject matter, but you have to realize airlines were not profitable all the time previously and although you would see some ceremony when certain fleet types were retired, not all types were created equal.

Boof02671 wrote:

These are the sole reasons US changed the name to US Airways. Stephen Wolf was giving the airline a complete makeover so he could sell it for a high price.

chepos wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

There is quite a few videos on youtube that show the 767 cabin. There is actually an excellent nose to tail interior video (of a refurbished and pre refurbishment)

Did the 733s have enough range to fly from PHL to PHX?

USPIT10L

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:18 pm

Sure they did. They flew routes like PHXBWI and PITLAX. I flew one roundtrip in 1988-89 from PIT to LAX. 734s had transcon range, too. US used them for routes like SFOIND, MCISEA, and PITTUS.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

blacksoviet

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:24 pm

mga707 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
D L X wrote:

So did Delta and Western. Other carriers as well. The last 737-200 was delivered in 1987 (going from memory, may be off by a year), well after the -300 (and the -400 as well, I think) was in service.

What was the point? Doesn't the -200 burn more fuel than the -300? Did they order it for faster turnaround times?

USPIT10L

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:28 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
mga707 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

What was the point? Doesn't the -200 burn more fuel than the -300? Did they order it for faster turnaround times?

Airlines simply didn't think that way back then. Other than WN, no one stuck with one equipment type for a fleet. They bought what they could afford, or what their fleet planners wanted.

blacksoviet

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:39 pm

USPIT10L wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
mga707 wrote:

Airlines simply didn't think that way back then. Other than WN, no one stuck with one equipment type for a fleet. They bought what they could afford, or what their fleet planners wanted.

They must have gotten a good deal on the 737-200s. Wikipedia says that the 732 has more range than even the 737-500. I find that hard to believe but that's what it says.
Last edited by blacksoviet on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polot

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:43 pm

The last 732 was delivered in late summer 1988, a little less than 4 years after the first 733 delivery.

I don’t know why that is so surprising to anyone. Airbus is still delivering A321ceos to Delta and the A320neo entered service in January 2016, over 4 years ago. The last 737 Classic was delivered in 2000, 3 years after the NG entered service. 30 years from now when Neo is old tech and eplacements are in full swing people are going to be asking why airlines were still taking ancient A320ceo instead of the Neo 4 years after service entry. It takes time for production of new variant to ramp up. That was as true then as it is today.

blacksoviet

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 pm

How many planes were still in the Stephen Wolf livery at the time of the AA merger?

USPIT10L

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:42 pm

None. All mainline planes were repainted following the HP/US merger. There might've been a few E170s that were still in midnight blue, but I can't recall.

F27500

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:01 am

I worked for USAir Express (Allegheny) in New Haven CT at the time of the name change. It was an exciting time, as we all thought we were really becoming something bigger and different. That new black top (or blue, people always debated that issue) livery was striking and very classy. Only problem with it was after about 3 days, that dark paint started to fade and chip and peel and looked like crap in no time. Of course as we saw, it ended up being not much of a change overall to the operation .. still the same hubs, just a switch over to Airbus family. We became Wolf-Gangwal Airways more than anything else. Snore.

N649DL

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:42 am

blacksoviet wrote:
afcjets wrote:
mats wrote:

mats wrote:

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

D L X wrote:

Cointrin330 wrote:

blacksoviet wrote:

blacksoviet wrote:

USPIT10L wrote:

Boof02671 wrote:

chepos wrote:

They definitely did as US ordered a variant with extra fuel capacity and had CRT monitors in the isles for entertainment on many 733 and 734 as well. CO also used their 733 on routes to PHX, LAX, etc. through the late 1990s until they stocked up on 738s instead.

blacksoviet

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:14 am

N649DL wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
afcjets wrote:

They definitely did as US ordered a variant with extra fuel capacity and had CRT monitors in the isles for entertainment on many 733 and 734 as well. CO also used their 733 on routes to PHX, LAX, etc. through the late 1990s until they stocked up on 738s instead.

If it weren’t for the MAX pilot rule, would AA still be flying the 734s today?

Polot

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:39 am

blacksoviet wrote:
N649DL wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

No.

N649DL

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:00 am

Polot wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
N649DL wrote:

No.

Check departedflights.com. I meant to say CO used the 733 on CLE-LAX/LAX as late as 1999 http://www.departedflights.com/CLE99p2.html.

In 1995, US flew 733s on PHL-LAS as well. By this time US was mainly flying 757s on PHL-LAX: http://www.departedflights.com/PHL95p3.html

As far as the US 734s go, they were the first to be retired (even over the legacy S80 fleet from AA.) So I doubt they would've been brought back in favor of the MAX being grounded. They (likely) had a little more life available but AA/US were dedicated on having a young fleet with the AA 738 back-filling at US hubs despite the retirement of the US 737s.

blacksoviet

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:04 am

It is a shame that Doug Parker got rid of all the 737 Classics.

Boof02671

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:21 am

blacksoviet wrote:

They were gone at LUS before the merger. And you all don’t take in account for maintenance costs and fuel. Those planes would be subject to the aging aircraft program.

D L X

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:54 am

blacksoviet wrote:

What?!

You remember that Stephen Wolf made US the largest Airbus customer in the world, right? 400 planes to replace the 737 fleet?

You also should remember the extreme fight between Boeing and US over US 427, which Boeing blamed on pilot error, instead of rudder hardover.

This wasn’t a DP issue, and by the time DP came on, the 733’s days were numbered at all major airlines.

DeltaRules

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:05 am

Roots1 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
N383SW wrote:

During the summer of 2001 (after all nine were delivered), they were flying

CLT-LGW
PHL-CDG/FCO/FRA/LGW/MAN/SJU
PIT-FRA/LGW

Wasn't PHL-SJU in the early 2000s a route which existed to move a spare A330 rather than have it sit in PHL all day? I seem to remember reading the plane would run SJU if everything went well the night before and, if an A330 broke, the spare would take its place TATL and they'd downgauge that SJU flight the next day to something smaller.

N649DL wrote:

How many US 734s had the CRTs? I remember some with and some without. I flew CLT-SJU and SJU-PHL as a kid on two which, unfortunately, were lacking.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

afcjets

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:45 am

D L X wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

What?!

You remember that Stephen Wolf made US the largest Airbus customer in the world, right? 400 planes to replace the 737 fleet?

You also should remember the extreme fight between Boeing and US over US 427, which Boeing blamed on pilot error, instead of rudder hardover.

This wasn’t a DP issue, and by the time DP came on, the 733’s days were numbered at all major airlines.

I don't think he had been born yet.

blacksoviet

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 am

N649DL wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Did any of the HP 733s have CRT monitors? What about the USAir 757s?

In the late 1990s, airlines rushed to install CRT monitors to remain competitive. By 2007, only USAir, Northwest and Delta still had CRTs, the other airlines could not justify the weight.

phllax

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:32 am

The last time a 737 classic operated LAX-PHL was the red-eye the winter Wolf closed the LAX crew base. I think 97 or 98 and it was a 300. Some say he did it to teach them a lesson for not moving in base to PHL, so by removing the 757, there were no F/A jump seats available and fewer cabin seats for the commuters going to PHL to start trips. Those of us regulars on the winter red-eyes knew that the C zone on the 757 was commonly referred to as the crew rest zone, as you could often get your own row of 3 to lay down and sleep on.

The summer of 99 there was a scheduled 3pm LAX-PHL on a 400, but due to multiple operational issues during that summer it cancelled daily the entire summer.

afcjets

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:34 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Did any of the HP 733s have CRT monitors? What about the USAir 757s?

In the late 1990s, airlines rushed to install CRT monitors to remain competitive. By 2007, only USAir, Northwest and Delta still had CRTs, the other airlines could not justify the weight.

I don't know about HP but US did on both their 757s and 733s (at least ones flying transcon) going back to the early 90s. I believe Eastern had them on the 757s too.

USAirALB

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:04 pm

I believe the only 733s that had the monitors was a subfleet of 733-LRs that had auxiliary fuel tanks and slightly upgraded CFM engines.

The 734s also had IFE too but I don’t think every 734 was equipped. I know US at one point had a subfleet of 734s that was EOW so maybe all EOW birds had IFE.

I’ve never seen the monitors used for anything else but the old safety video with the Andean panfute music, even pre 9/11.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

afcjets

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:50 pm

N649DL wrote:
In 1995, US flew 733s on PHL-LAS as well. By this time US was mainly flying 757s on PHL-LAX: http://www.departedflights.com/PHL95p3.html

I flew US several times in 1995-96 on PHL-LAX when connecting and it was always a 767. The schedule you linked shows only one 757 flight (the red-eye), the other two flights are 767s.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:59 pm

US Air 737-300 safety video.

https://youtu.be/UoKJ1ibevdQ

OB1504

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:58 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
An ex-US Air 737-400 (N458UW) evacuated hundreds of Americans from Exuma, Bahamas in 2017. The Americans had been left stranded there by fraudster Billy McFarland with the help of Ja Rule.

Swift Air knew they would not be paid and donated the airplane and the crew for humanitarian assistance. This is the kind of mission that the 734 was designed for.

The airplane had “Fyre Festival” on the side. It was always under contract to the event. Swift just chose to continue the flying even when it became evident that the organizers would be unlikely to pay, either that or they had already been paid in advance.

“Evacuating” people who paid $1,000 to attend a festival on a tropical paradise promoted by Instagram “influencers” is hardly a humanitarian crisis.

N649DL wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Not sure about the -300s, but the -400s had an auxiliary fuel tank installed. Swift Air picked up a bunch of ex-US -400s and they retain the controls for the auxiliary tank on the fuel panel, though it’s been deactivated and the tanks removed.

blacksoviet

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:19 pm

OB1504 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
An ex-US Air 737-400 (N458UW) evacuated hundreds of Americans from Exuma, Bahamas in 2017. The Americans had been left stranded there by fraudster Billy McFarland with the help of Ja Rule.

Swift Air knew they would not be paid and donated the airplane and the crew for humanitarian assistance. This is the kind of mission that the 734 was designed for.

The airplane had “Fyre Festival” on the side. It was always under contract to the event. Swift just chose to continue the flying even when it became evident that the organizers would be unlikely to pay, either that or they had already been paid in advance.

“Evacuating” people who paid $1,000 to attend a festival on a tropical paradise promoted by Instagram “influencers” is hardly a humanitarian crisis.

N649DL wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Not sure about the -300s, but the -400s had an auxiliary fuel tank installed. Swift Air picked up a bunch of ex-US -400s and they retain the controls for the auxiliary tank on the fuel panel, though it’s been deactivated and the tanks removed.

Why would they remove the tanks on an airplane that already has short range?

Runway28L

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:20 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
How many planes were still in the Stephen Wolf livery at the time of the AA merger?

USPIT10L wrote:
None. All mainline planes were repainted following the HP/US merger. There might've been a few E170s that were still in midnight blue, but I can't recall.

There were actually three Piedmont DH8Cs still in the dark blue scheme at the time of the merger and were repainted straight into AA colors - N327EN, N328EN and N337EN IIRC.

I remember seeing one of them at CLT in April 2014.

USPIT10L

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:26 pm

Thanks.....we didn't get to see much at PIT, especially after they moved everything over to B in 2008. If you couldn't walk down the concourses, unless you were fueling or running freight, you didn't see much.

jetwet1

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:54 pm

N383SW wrote:

You are correct, they were opened up to passengers paying full fare and top tier flyers, I only did a couple of flights on them, nothing jumps to mind, so couldn't have been good or bad, the one thing I seem to remember was no gaspers.

blacksoviet

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:34 pm

When did Doug Parker finish converting the 767-200s to Envoy Class?

afcjets

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:37 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
When did Doug Parker finish converting the 767-200s to Envoy Class?

He didn't. Stephen Wolf changed the name of Business Class to Envoy Class and removed the British Airways J seats soon after he got there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos