Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ricport

Re: U.S. Air Rebranding to U.S. Airways

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:50 pm

D L X wrote:
AKL321NX wrote:
Unfortunately Still Allegheny In Reality?

It’s REALLY interesting how some people, particularly aviation enthusiasts, of all people, simply cannot let go of Allegheny.

Remember Don’t Expect Luggage To Arrive? How about “Untied?” Truth is, people have had it in for US for 50+ years. Most of you folks blasting them weren’t even alive back then, lol.

Oh, I was.

Living in Columbus, I remember the bad, old days of the late 70s - 80s when Allegheny/USAir had a virtual lock on service to the east coast, and they acted like it. Decrepit, dirty planes, staff that gave new meaning to the words "surly" and "uncaring"... I know plenty of people (myself included) who would work their schedules around so they could catch one of the few TW flights to DCA/LGA/JFK and avoid Allegheny's/US' "service."

An,d one of the reasons why they renamed repeatedly is because their service had become so lousy that they thought renaming it might dupe customers. But, whatever they called themselves, I, and monay others will always remember them as Agony Airlines.

phllax

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:22 pm

questions wrote:
Don’t think this has been mentioned yet. US tried a lot of things. Anyone remember the convertible F seats (may have been marketed as Business). These were in domestic aircraft. Similar to European business class. Blocked middle seat with armrests that moved in towards the middle seat. I don’t believe the product was fully rolled out before it was nixed.

It was called BusinesSelect and was a row of 3 coach seats which would become like EuroBusiness seats. It was based at BWI as an early response to WN, and had the unfortunate circumstances of being launched the same day as 427. It was plagued by mechanical seat issues throughout.

phllax

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:27 pm

N649DL wrote:
Polot wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
Considering that Spirit has had a Latin American hub at FLL for nearly 15 years now, it probably would have worked out for US Airways if they had stuck with it.

US did not have the cost base to ever make it work. Spirit was not and is not saddled with high legacy costs and debts while also trying to compete with growing LCCs in the market.

The short lived FLL Focus City by US lasted for only the good part of a year in 2004 and was a desperate attempt to do something big before they were about to go under. I recall trying to fly EWR-FLL over Memorial Day back in Junior Year of high school which was nonstop on US using their "Go Fares" and it was ridiculously cheap (EG: $100 each way on an A319 nonstop.) It was impossible for them to actually make a profit with those types of rock bottom fares.

The primary issue with the FLL operation was the split operation between T3 and T4 and also a relatively small T4 FIS at the same time NK was beginning to expand as well from T4. It marginally made money, the operational issues combined with Bladanza leaving for NK and then the merger announced, it was quickly eliminated. I sat next to the VP of the hub on a flight to FLL with Rhett Workman, who is still with AA, and he told me about the big plans they had.

blacksoviet

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:19 pm

Did the 767s have enough range to fly TLV-CLT?

questions

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:55 pm

phllax wrote:
questions wrote:
Don’t think this has been mentioned yet. US tried a lot of things. Anyone remember the convertible F seats (may have been marketed as Business). These were in domestic aircraft. Similar to European business class. Blocked middle seat with armrests that moved in towards the middle seat. I don’t believe the product was fully rolled out before it was nixed.

It was called BusinesSelect and was a row of 3 coach seats which would become like EuroBusiness seats. It was based at BWI as an early response to WN, and had the unfortunate circumstances of being launched the same day as 427. It was plagued by mechanical seat issues throughout.

Ah, yes. I couldn’t recall what US branded the product.

https://apnews.com/34d6f3fc516e710fdf3fd0b52789ace6

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/476702897/

N649DL

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:58 pm

phllax wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Polot wrote:
US did not have the cost base to ever make it work. Spirit was not and is not saddled with high legacy costs and debts while also trying to compete with growing LCCs in the market.

The short lived FLL Focus City by US lasted for only the good part of a year in 2004 and was a desperate attempt to do something big before they were about to go under. I recall trying to fly EWR-FLL over Memorial Day back in Junior Year of high school which was nonstop on US using their "Go Fares" and it was ridiculously cheap (EG: $100 each way on an A319 nonstop.) It was impossible for them to actually make a profit with those types of rock bottom fares.

The primary issue with the FLL operation was the split operation between T3 and T4 and also a relatively small T4 FIS at the same time NK was beginning to expand as well from T4. It marginally made money, the operational issues combined with Bladanza leaving for NK and then the merger announced, it was quickly eliminated. I sat next to the VP of the hub on a flight to FLL with Rhett Workman, who is still with AA, and he told me about the big plans they had.

Very interesting. Was US going for some future Latin America and South America Operations?

I also recall that Legacy AA back then was nearly at the point of having their own focus city based out out of FLL back then even with the dominant MIA hub right down the road at the time.

USAirALB

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:18 pm

I can't recall every destination US served ex FLL but I know they started off with BWI/BOS/CUN/GUA/BDL/KIN/NAS/LGA/MCO/PTY/PLS/SJO/SJU/TPA/SAL. BDA and EYW were later added and I seem to recall EWR and PVD being attempted as well. I am not sure if any routes were express, although I remember FLL-EYW was on a E170. These were in addition to CLT/PHL/DCA/PIT. US also had an Express operation to several Bahamian cities on B1900s, I think operated by Air Midwest.

Recall that during this time, US was very large to the Caribbean, serving more Caribbean destinations nonstop from the mainland US than any other US carrier for a time, and also had their own logo for Caribbean flights and created a quasi-airline alliance for the Caribbean, the US Airways Go Caribbean network.

After the operation was folded, US closed the SAL/PTY stations. KIN and GUA were transferred to CLT. CLT-KIN failed almost immediately. GUA lasted a little longer until around 2008/2009 (they ended CLT-GUA the same day UA ended their GUA ops) and I heard there were always problems at FIS in CLT regarding the GUA arrival.

Around this time they also added a Spanish section of their website and began playing a shortened Spanish safety video on all North American flights.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

phllax

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:59 am

USAirALB wrote:
I can't recall every destination US served ex FLL but I know they started off with BWI/BOS/CUN/GUA/BDL/KIN/NAS/LGA/MCO/PTY/PLS/SJO/SJU/TPA/SAL. BDA and EYW were later added and I seem to recall EWR and PVD being attempted as well. I am not sure if any routes were express, although I remember FLL-EYW was on a E170. These were in addition to CLT/PHL/DCA/PIT. US also had an Express operation to several Bahamian cities on B1900s, I think operated by Air Midwest.

Recall that during this time, US was very large to the Caribbean, serving more Caribbean destinations nonstop from the mainland US than any other US carrier for a time, and also had their own logo for Caribbean flights and created a quasi-airline alliance for the Caribbean, the US Airways Go Caribbean network.

After the operation was folded, US closed the SAL/PTY stations. KIN and GUA were transferred to CLT. CLT-KIN failed almost immediately. GUA lasted a little longer until around 2008/2009 (they ended CLT-GUA the same day UA ended their GUA ops) and I heard there were always problems at FIS in CLT regarding the GUA arrival.

Around this time they also added a Spanish section of their website and began playing a shortened Spanish safety video on all North American flights.

I think EWR, MBJ and GCM were also on the list but everything else looks right. EYW was on the 170.

Besides the hubs of ORD, STL and DFW, AA also served LAX, SJU, LGA, Port au Prince, BOS and NAS on Eagle from FLL. PAP has only been gone a few years and had check in down at the baggage claim due to the shear number of checked bags and weight.

USAirALB

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm

phllax wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

I think EWR, MBJ and GCM were also on the list but everything else looks right. EYW was on the 170.

Besides the hubs of ORD, STL and DFW, AA also served LAX, SJU, LGA, Port au Prince, BOS and NAS on Eagle from FLL. PAP has only been gone a few years and had check in down at the baggage claim due to the shear number of checked bags and weight.

LAX was also discontinued a couple of years ago and moved to PBI before being axed. IIRC AA also did FLL-SJO.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

afcjets

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:00 pm

USAirALB wrote:
US also had an Express operation to several Bahamian cities on B1900s, I think operated by Air Midwest.

The Express flights to GHB, ELH, MHH and TCB date back to at least the early 90s and were on Dash 8s. I don't think it was Air Midwest back then either.

willbdsp

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:42 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
US Air 737-300 safety video.

https://youtu.be/UoKJ1ibevdQ

I wonder if they were real employees featured in this video, and if so, are any of them still working for the airline?

afcjets

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:05 pm

willbdsp wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I wonder if they were real employees featured in this video, and if so, are any of them still working for the airline?

That video is over an hour long, it's more than the 737-300 video. Anyhow it's interesting that you ask that, I actually have an answer. I think all of them are/were real employees except for one that I know wasn't. The pretty blond on the 767 video and on the preview pic was a hired model/actress. I know this because I remember when I saw it for the first time I told the male FA how hot she was and he told me she was a hired model. I thought it was sad an airline couldn't find a FA like that internally, it wasn't in the too distant past that looks were the most important factor in hiring for that position (at most airlines).

It's interesting to see the Piedmont interior on that video, which US quickly refurbished. All of the other videos are USAir interiors both before (brown) and after (blue) the Piedmont merger.

jmc1975

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:08 pm

mats wrote:
The T***p Shuttle..

Did you mean the Tulip Shuttle or are you trying to make some kind of political statement?

UA444

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:49 pm

jmc1975 wrote:
mats wrote:
The T***p Shuttle..

Did you mean the Tulip Shuttle or are you trying to make some kind of political statement?

I would definitely fly on United Tulip shuttle

USPIT10L

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:59 pm

It's Trump Shuttle....he ran it into the gtound like all his other businesses.......as the Florida flying by express.....it was operated by FloridaGulf, which later was absorbed into Air Midwest.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

DeltaRules

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:45 pm

willbdsp wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I never saw this video, but did see what I'm assuming was the next one with the USAir Begins With You theme.

I wonder why there was a Japanese supplementary video.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

midway7

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:45 am

afcjets wrote:
willbdsp wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

That video is over an hour long, it's more than the 737-300 video. Anyhow it's interesting that you ask that, I actually have an answer. I think all of them are/were real employees except for one that I know wasn't. The pretty blond on the 767 video and on the preview pic was a hired model/actress. I know this because I remember when I saw it for the first time I told the male FA how hot she was and he told me she was a hired model. I thought it was sad an airline couldn't find a FA like that internally, it wasn't in the too distant past that looks were the most important factor in hiring for that position (at most airlines).

It's interesting to see the Piedmont interior on that video, which US quickly refurbished. All of the other videos are USAir interiors both before (brown) and after (blue) the Piedmont merger.

It is actually a pretty cool video. It has international arrival information videos shown in flight to passengers flying into BWI, PHL, CLT, and PIT. The PIT one really has some historic significance as it shows a time when PIT was a USAir hub.

N649DL

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:06 am

USPIT10L wrote:
It's Trump Shuttle....he ran it into the gtound like all his other businesses.......as the Florida flying by express.....it was operated by FloridaGulf, which later was absorbed into Air Midwest.

Say what you will about POTUS, but the Trump Shuttle was a pioneer in airport technology innovation such as the first digital self check-in at the airports it served. It wasn't as if "Orange Man Bad = Trump Killed it" it was entirely too much of an overkill from a service operation which I still believe he broke even on (or took a minimal loss.) Too much luxury on a short flights combined with completely refurbishing old EA 727 nose to tail in the process.

USAirKid

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:06 am

N649DL wrote:
USPIT10L wrote:

Say what you will about POTUS, but the Trump Shuttle was a pioneer in airport technology innovation such as the first digital self check-in at the airports it served. It wasn't as if "Orange Man Bad = Trump Killed it" it was entirely too much of an overkill from a service operation which I still believe he broke even on (or took a minimal loss.) Too much luxury on a short flights combined with completely refurbishing old EA 727 nose to tail in the process.

I remember reading/ watching that EA gave Trump a really good price on taking additional 727s, significantly more than was needed to run the shuttle schedule. This drove their costs up, since they didn’t always have work for the planes.

Boof02671

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:29 am

Those old EA 727s were junk. We overhauled them in INT for him. We as in US.

willbdsp

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:49 pm

midway7 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
willbdsp wrote:

It is actually a pretty cool video. It has international arrival information videos shown in flight to passengers flying into BWI, PHL, CLT, and PIT. The PIT one really has some historic significance as it shows a time when PIT was a USAir hub.

The guy that stars in the international arrival videos is Larry Richert, a journalist from KDKA-TV. He had a morning show, then reported the weather, and now, he's on KDKA AM radio from 5 AM to 9 AM.

afcjets

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:23 pm

willbdsp wrote:
midway7 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

The guy that stars in the international arrival videos is Larry Richert, a journalist from KDKA-TV. He had a morning show, then reported the weather, and now, he's on KDKA AM radio from 5 AM to 9 AM.

I am now starting to think they might all be actors. It blows my mind an airline would do that so for all these years I assumed it was just the one, and she really did stand out IMO. You're hiring people to be the face of your company but you can't have them in your safety video? What an insult to their FAs.

blacksoviet

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:13 am

Why didn’t Stephen Wolf order any 737-500s?

USAirKid

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:04 pm

afcjets wrote:
willbdsp wrote:
midway7 wrote:

I am now starting to think they might all be actors. It blows my mind an airline would do that so for all these years I assumed it was just the one, and she really did stand out IMO. You're hiring people to be the face of your company but you can't have them in your safety video? What an insult to their FAs.

This would've been one of the early safety videos. I can see this being outsourced to a production company, and the production company just doing what they always do: hire actors. It might not have really dawned on someone that they should get their actual FAs for the video...

FlyCaledonian

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:49 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Why didn’t Stephen Wolf order any 737-500s?

Because previous leadership had already selected the Fokker 100 over the 737-500. Wolf made the deal with Airbus to bring in the A320 family and A330-300s.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

USAirALB

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:23 am

Here is the Andean pan flute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Duwwhqua4A

It is the same video that USAir used immediately before the re-branding, in fact the safety card displayed shows the USAir logo.

The Airbus fleet used a similar safety video but had info showing the "Please turn off electronic devices" sign:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2Hk5_FKmE

afcjets

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:31 am

USAirKid wrote:
afcjets wrote:
willbdsp wrote:

This would've been one of the early safety videos. I can see this being outsourced to a production company, and the production company just doing what they always do: hire actors. It might not have really dawned on someone that they should get their actual FAs for the video...

USAir didn't invent the safety video in 1989.

blacksoviet

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:17 am

What was the first USAir aircraft type to have CRT monitors?

airtrantpa

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:26 am

I have a question but im not sure if it was asked in this thread and I don't really have the time to look. but with the rebranding didn't that kill off metrojet? or was metrojet a product of the merger? I flew them once out of TPA as a kid, and thought the red paintjob was pretty snazzy.
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991

USAirALB

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:18 am

MetroJet was created largely as a response to US's extremely high labor costs and Southwest entering BWI.

Recall that at the time of MetroJet's creation in 1998, BWI was US's fourth largest hub with 130~ daily departures. MetroJet replaced mainline on all leisure routes ex BWI, and entered some markets to counter WN. BWI-CLE/FLL/JAX/MHT/MIA/MSY/MCO/PVD/TPA were all initial MetroJet routes. Service from BWI was later expanded to BDL/RDU/MDW/ATL/RSW/BOS/PBI. In Summer of 2001, MetroJet had more departures from BWI than mainline US.

MetroJet also started several Floridian P2P routes (ALB/PVD/SYR/BDL-Florida) and replaced mainline on all NYC/BOS-Floridian routes. US had a respectable hublet at IAD that folks often forget (US Express ran IAD-ALB/BUF/DAY/GSO/BDL/IND/ITH/SWF/RIC/ROA/ROC/SYR/HPN) in addition to mainline to LGA/BOS/CLT/PHL/PIT. There was also a large MetroJet operation at IAD that did IAD-ATL/BHM/MDW/CMH/FLL/MIA/MCO/RDU/STL/TPA.

IIRC MetroJet aircraft had at slightly different interior (I remember there being more of a red stripe on the traditional US gray seating) and each flight had a snack box called the "Le Petit Snack" or something like that. Much better than mainline today.

US closed MetroJet after 9/11, and the BWI hub along with it. The only flights left in 2002 were BWI-ALB/ACY/BUF/CRW/CLT/GSO/EWR/LGA/ORF/PHL/PIT/RDU/RIC/SBY/YYZ/SYR/HPN. They continued to do BWI-SEA/SFO/LAX summer seasonal for a while as well.

One thing that puzzles me to this day is why US had that operation at IAD, and what their long term strategy there was. Were they blocking WN from using IAD as a base?

blacksoviet

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:21 am

USAirALB wrote:
MetroJet was created largely as a response to US's extremely high labor costs and Southwest entering BWI.

Recall that at the time of MetroJet's creation in 1998, BWI was US's fourth largest hub with 130~ daily departures. MetroJet replaced mainline on all leisure routes ex BWI, and entered some markets to counter WN. BWI-CLE/FLL/JAX/MHT/MIA/MSY/MCO/PVD/TPA were all initial MetroJet routes. Service from BWI was later expanded to BDL/RDU/MDW/ATL/RSW/BOS/PBI. In Summer of 2001, MetroJet had more departures from BWI than mainline US.

MetroJet also started several Floridian P2P routes (ALB/PVD/SYR/BDL-Florida) and replaced mainline on all NYC/BOS-Floridian routes. US had a respectable hublet at IAD that folks often forget (US Express ran IAD-ALB/BUF/DAY/GSO/BDL/IND/ITH/SWF/RIC/ROA/ROC/SYR/HPN) in addition to mainline to LGA/BOS/CLT/PHL/PIT. There was also a large MetroJet operation at IAD that did IAD-ATL/BHM/MDW/CMH/FLL/MIA/MCO/RDU/STL/TPA.

IIRC MetroJet aircraft had at slightly different interior (I remember there being more of a red stripe on the traditional US gray seating) and each flight had a snack box called the "Le Petit Snack" or something like that. Much better than mainline today.

US closed MetroJet after 9/11, and the BWI hub along with it. The only flights left in 2002 were BWI-ALB/ACY/BUF/CRW/CLT/GSO/EWR/LGA/ORF/PHL/PIT/RDU/RIC/SBY/YYZ/SYR/HPN. They continued to do BWI-SEA/SFO/LAX summer seasonal for a while as well.

One thing that puzzles me to this day is why US had that operation at IAD, and what their long term strategy there was. Were they blocking WN from using IAD as a base?

Were any of the F100s painted in the Metrojet livery?

USAirKid

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:28 am

blacksoviet wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Were any of the F100s painted in the Metrojet livery?

No. Metrojet was exclusively operated with 737-200s.

USPIT10L

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:05 am

IIRC, the IAD flying was an aborted attempt to build a focus city there, as well as RDU. In the 1998 US annual report, either BWI or IAD was mentioned as part of their transatlantic strategy. IINM, in June of 2000, US had 150 flights at IAD. It was drawn down once the merger with UA was announced and dropped completely by the end of the year. MetroJet was very IAD and BWI-centric. It may have just been additional capacity that was eventually parked in the desert.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

afcjets

Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 am

blacksoviet wrote:
What was the first USAir aircraft type to have CRT monitors?

The 767s from Piedmont had movie screens obviously and the 733s used for transcon were the first to have CRT monitors. Piedmont might have installed them on the transcon ones before the merger as they flew them on TPA-LAX.

blacksoviet

Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:50 am

Why did Stephen Wolf retire the DC-3?

mga707

Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:28 am

blacksoviet wrote:

Because his Mommy bought him a shiny new toy 727 in 1964? He liked it so much that he put his dinged-up old DC-3 in his toy box and forgot about it. He did have to learn to make jet noises rather than the 'bbbbbrrrrr' prop noise he made when he 'flew' his DC-3 around the back yard...

KFTG

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:37 am

blacksoviet wrote:

Is this is serious question?

N383SW

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:33 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

Do you mean the DC9?

blacksoviet

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 pm

N383SW wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Do you mean the DC9?

As soon as Wolf took over in 1996, the sole remaining ex- Piedmont DC-3 was sold.

Boof02671

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
N383SW wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Do you mean the DC9?

As soon as Wolf took over in 1996, the sole remaining ex- Piedmont DC-3 was sold.

It was not an active plane.

“ On August 1, 1949 it was purchased by Western Airlines and registered as NC 18600. On January 12, 1956 it was purchased by Piedmont Airlines and reregistered as N56V and named Potomac Pacemaker. It operated at Piedmont Airlines until February 20, 1965.

It had logged 48,000 hours of service and was traded to Charlotte Aircraft Company as part of the purchase of TWA’s Martin 404 fleet. In 1978 the Museum of Life and Science, Durham, N.C. obtained the aircraft, which was moved to Durham by Roy Teer. It was assembled with the help of Piedmont Airline employees and put on display. The North Carolina Transportation Museum purchased the plane, disassembled it, and on April 6, 2004, moved it by trucks to the museum in Spencer. It will eventually be displayed in the Back Shop exhibit hall. Students in GTCC’s aviation program and former Piedmont Airlines employees are assisting in the restoration.“