SQ22
Topic Author

Irish 3/20

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:03 am

Welcome to Irish Aviation Thread for March.

Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here.

Link to previous thread:

Irish 2/20: February made me shiver ...

OA260

Re: Irish 3/20

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks for a new thread . The next few months at least are going to be a nervous time for Irish Aviation especially if the USA brings in further restrictions should the virus get out of control in Ireland.

Fliplot

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:42 pm

When you have all your eggs in the one basket and when almost all your growth focus is in one region; then yes there is cause for concern, and maybe not just because of a virus! I wonder how the A330s will fare on European routes and not just Spain/Portugal?

BrianDromey

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:02 pm

Fliplot wrote:
When you have all your eggs in the one basket and when almost all your growth focus is in one region; then yes there is cause for concern, and maybe not just because of a virus! I wonder how the A330s will fare on European routes and not just Spain/Portugal?

Is there any suggestion that the A330s would be used on European routes? I suspect it would be more likely that the A330 would be used less intensively if there was a major drop-off in US traffic. So far its been routes to Asia that have been most effected. BA have redeployed their excess frequencies to South Africa and the US, for example. Looking at where COVID-19 has been most prevalent or publicised, Northern Italy, Tenerife, etc are popular places for Irish tourists and routes that see the A321 fairly often in summer. The UK is also a big risk - an outbreak in a major UK city would surely depress travel demand across the Irish Sea significantly?

AmricanShamrock wrote:
On an unrelated note, does anyone else experience consistent bugs/glitches on the Ryanair app and website since they refreshed them a few years back? I'd say every second time I use them I have issues (i.e. pages freezing, not accepting payment, "submit/confirm" buttons not working, booking engine not showing any availability on any flights for any date etc.)?

I cant say I notice any issue - Im running iOS13 on an iPhoneXS Max. Are you on Android by any chance? I only ask because the iOS app has a rating of 4.5 and the issues you have aren't really reported. There are plenty of complaints about changes in flight times, "extortionate business practices" of charging for luggage, seating, etc (fly with someone else!). There are quite a few reviews of people doing a weekly commute and having no problems at all.
Speaking of airline Apps - BA have had the decorators in and destroyed what was a very functional app. It hangs, logs-out, keeps prompting to check-in when you have already done so and doesn't seem to remind you when the gate has opened, etc. That was an absolutely brilliant feature of the BA app, it even worked at the majority of outstations - where BA uses their own FLY system.

Galwayman

Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:51 pm

OA260 wrote:
Thanks for a new thread . The next few months at least are going to be a nervous time for Irish Aviation especially if the USA brings in further restrictions should the virus get out of control in Ireland.

The 2 largest Irish airlines are in good financial positions, if there are impacts to aviation it will just bring the next cycle of 'thinning of the heard' with the weaker carriers going under ...flybe, DY, Alitalia(hopefully) ... and yields etc will recover in due course ...... EI will probably use it to 'restructure' any remaining expensive staff away (yet again). It would probably be the first ever downward cycle that EI has ever really prepared for .

Skyblue39

Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:20 pm

Just did DUB-HEL-DUB I’m J on the E190 both ways. The Finnair Business Lounge in HEL is superb, just refurbished and reopened recently. Meals and champagne on board were superb too. People often overlook AY instead talking about LX and LH, but AY is head and shoulders the best J product within Europe.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:16 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
I cant say I notice any issue - Im running iOS13 on an iPhoneXS Max. Are you on Android by any chance? I only ask because the iOS app has a rating of 4.5 and the issues you have aren't really reported. There are plenty of complaints about changes in flight times, "extortionate business practices" of charging for luggage, seating, etc (fly with someone else!). There are quite a few reviews of people doing a weekly commute and having no problems at all.
Speaking of airline Apps - BA have had the decorators in and destroyed what was a very functional app. It hangs, logs-out, keeps prompting to check-in when you have already done so and doesn't seem to remind you when the gate has opened, etc. That was an absolutely brilliant feature of the BA app, it even worked at the majority of outstations - where BA uses their own FLY system.

I'm iOS 13 too. Yesterday I was checking-in and the form where you input your passport details kept freezing. I eventually had to delete the app and re-download it and it worked but I've had to do that a few times and it's really only confined to the FR app.

OA260

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:27 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

I'm iOS 13 too. Yesterday I was checking-in and the form where you input your passport details kept freezing. I eventually had to delete the app and re-download it and it worked but I've had to do that a few times and it's really only confined to the FR app.

The App is very hit and miss at the moment. Quite a few are giving out about it. Hopefully they will manage a fix sooner rather than later. The last update was 26/2 so seems it did not resolve the issues.

Eagleboy

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:25 pm

Im guessing the current situation will impact forward booking with EI. If the US carriers are stopping flights to Italy (and perhaps others to come) then I wonder will it drive US pax to connect via Dublin or to decided against travelling there.

Just saw it online, a secondary school in Dublin has been closed for 14 days. (I know the school but thats no important here)
Could be that the "male patient from the East of Leinster" has a connection that school? (just guesswork on my part)

alancostello

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:50 am

A7-AEH (potential future EI-EIK for EI) is currently en route DOH-DUB https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... h#2400bc24

kaitak

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:46 am

Looks like it has returned to Doha?

EIEIDW

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:14 am

kaitak wrote:
Looks like it has returned to Doha?

Landed in DUB just now

EI321

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:25 am

So that's the full EI summer 2020 fleet in place now? Unless they manage to get some of the 4x remaining A321neoLRs delivered in the coming months. Just need to get the Qatar aircraft painted and ready.

shamrock350

Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:40 pm

EI321 wrote:
So that's the full EI summer 2020 fleet in place now? Unless they manage to get some of the 4x remaining A321neoLRs delivered in the coming months. Just need to get the Qatar aircraft painted and ready.

Pretty much. EI-EIK will facilitate the retirement of EI-EWR which comes off lease this year.

I don’t expect the remaining four A321LRs to arrive before summer, if at all this year. None of them have appeared on the production list and Aer Lingus isn’t exactly pleased with its performance or the delays.

EI321

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:29 pm

EI will probably be happy to wait for them now with the travel uncertainty that is spreading around.

OA260

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:08 pm

Ryanair to cancel 25% of flights to and from Italy due to coronavirus outbreak

A statement on Monday said the airline has seen a significant drop in bookings, followed by an increase in passenger no-shows on flights, particularly from and within Italy

www.mirror.co.uk/money/breaking-ryanair ... 616850.amp

shamrock321

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:21 pm

BA are cancelling 172 round trips ex LHR between 17-28th March some of which are to Dublin too.

ClassicLover

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:53 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
Just did DUB-HEL-DUB I’m J on the E190 both ways. The Finnair Business Lounge in HEL is superb, just refurbished and reopened recently. Meals and champagne on board were superb too. People often overlook AY instead talking about LX and LH, but AY is head and shoulders the best J product within Europe.

Glad to hear it! I'm on Finnair on LHR-HEL-LED and back in April with the sector on the A330 in J. Looking forward to it!

I was going to fly DUB-HEL-LED, but the timings meant only 50 minutes in HEL and no time for lounge access. Flying via London means I get to visit all the T3 oneworld lounges - Cathay Pacific, Qantas, American Airlines, British Airways - before I head off.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

MareBorealis

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

Glad to hear it! I'm on Finnair on LHR-HEL-LED and back in April with the sector on the A330 in J. Looking forward to it!

I was going to fly DUB-HEL-LED, but the timings meant only 50 minutes in HEL and no time for lounge access. Flying via London means I get to visit all the T3 oneworld lounges - Cathay Pacific, Qantas, American Airlines, British Airways - before I head off.

The non Schengen part in HEL is new and shiny, connecting is rather pleasant indeed. Now the Schengen part is getting a total facelift, takes some time still though.
Finnair's HEL-LHR route gets a widebody twice a day in S20, now it seems the later flight is A330 unfortunately, the cabin is outdated. But who knows if they'll use A350 more often, they probably have free capacity thanks to Corona.

english4490

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:57 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

I am also in iOS 13 and have been having the same issues with the Ryanair app for the last couple of weeks, very frustrating as I have had a few flights with FR over the last few weeks and it always seems to act up when I am trying to check in.

On another note I am due to fly to Pisa in a few weeks and my flight has been cancelled with the FR cut in capacity to Italy due to Covid-19, I have the option of rebooking or a refund. I am wondering what restrictions there is when rebooking with FR - as in a a time limit I can rebook before or after my original scheduled flights / rebooking onto another flight thats more expensive etc?

OA260

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:26 pm

First flight of the season DUB-ATH with Aegean. Flight was surprisingly good load all things considered. Fantastic crew as always as well as Swissport check in agents. Meal service and a few drink rounds. About 25 transfers when we got to ATH. Hopefully its going to be a good season for A3 despite challenges ahead.

If Greece/Greek Islands manage to contain any outbreaks then Aer Lingus , Ryanair and Aegean might still have a reasonable season from Ireland .

—-

Fighting a losing battle with Aer Lingus over terms of vouchers
Pricewatch: Reader is ‘disgusted’ after being told she cannot use vouchers for flight home to Ireland

A reader called Ruby wrote to us to express her “disgust” at her recent dealings with Aer Lingus. Specifically she was disgusted with how the vouchers she had were being treated.

www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/fighti ... 5?mode=amp

Seems a bit mean that Aer Lingus will not let you combine vouchers!

EI321

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:16 am

Is the RAF BAE146 coming into DUB today for the royal visit?

Fliplot

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:35 pm

Depends on the size of the entourage. It could be a private hire! Is it definitely arriving in to DUB or Baldonnel?

JesseCasserly

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:55 pm

I'm still booked on CX306 on April 8th, haven't gotten any info from CX about the flight not operating, and I keep checking routesonline for updates. The only reason I'm concerned is because for the last two weeks, there doesn't seem to be any bookable inventory for this flight until July, even though the route is supposed to restart at the end of the month! Anybody got any idea?

Skyblue39

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:16 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Depends on the size of the entourage. It could be a private hire! Is it definitely arriving in to DUB or Baldonnel?

They arrived into DUB on an Aer Lingus A321LR

Fliplot

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:17 pm

I believe TRHs used EI for the flight to DUB! Good PR

shamrock350

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:57 pm

Looks like it was EI-LRD, its first commercial flight.

OA260

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:58 pm

A warm welcome to the Royals

Skyblue39

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Just over 2.1 million passengers travelled through Dublin Airport this January, which was a 2% increase when compared to last year.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... in-airport

OA260

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:15 am

Ryanair passenger numbers up 9%, but warns of virus hit in March and April

The Ryanair Group has reported a 9% rise in passenger numbers for February, but warned that its March and April figures are likely to be lower due to the outbreak of the coronavirus.

Ryanair has cancelled around a quarter of its flights to and from Italy in the coming weeks, due to a fall in demand.

The airline said today that its passenger numbers rose to 10.5 million in February from 9.6 million the same time last year.

It also reported a load factor of 96% for the month.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0303/1119 ... r-numbers/

CarbonFibre

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:48 am

EI-EIN is the final A330-300 off the production line. Guess there won't be an EI-EIO ?

Eirules

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
EI-EIN is the final A330-300 off the production line. Guess there won't be an EI-EIO ?

I’m sure Old MacDonald will help you find one
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Eagleboy

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:35 am

CarbonFibre wrote:

There already is.
It was a light aircraft based on the South East of Ireland. Not sure if its still active but it was registered years ago.
Irish register doesnt re-use registrations.

EIM (MSN 1950) will have its first revenue flight within the next week. (no idea which route)
EIN (MSN 1951) is currently getting fitted out with J Class seats (BRU I believe)
MSN 789 was ferried DOH-DUB last week and will join the fleet as EIK.

JesseCasserly

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:14 am

Got an email from Cathay Pacific an hour ago, CX306 from Dublin has been cancelled and they're gonna organize another flight for me. Checking their website and Google Flights, looks like they've cancelled DUB-HKG until July!!!

Skyblue39

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:58 pm

That’s the end of flyBe. G-JECP has been impounded tonight in GLA.

kaitak

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:02 pm

I don't think so; the two Dublin flights this evening have got in as normal. Not sure if they are taking passengers back. It would be very sad to lose them; I always liked dealing with Flybe.

Both flights have now departed, one to CWL and one to SOU. Very stressful times for the crew and I wish them the best; I always enjoyed dealing with the BE crews.

Skyblue39

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:08 pm

kaitak wrote:
I don't think so; the two Dublin flights this evening have got in as normal. Not sure if they are taking passengers back. It would be very sad to lose them; I always liked dealing with Flybe.

Both flights have now departed, one to CWL and one to SOU. Very stressful times for the crew and I wish them the best; I always enjoyed dealing with the BE crews.

Flybe is waiting for the last scheduled flight to land tonight before putting the business into administration. The airline is expected to then cease operating. A formal announcement is likely to be made in the early hours of tomorrow morning

EIEIDW

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:24 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
kaitak wrote:

Flybe is waiting for the last scheduled flight to land tonight before putting the business into administration. The airline is expected to then cease operating. A formal announcement is likely to be made in the early hours of tomorrow morning

Absolutely devastating for BHD.

OA260

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:28 pm

EIEIDW wrote:

Certainly is it will be like a ghost airport and have huge impact on the NI economy and airport jobs. Very sad . Hopefully someone can take up BHD-SOU and DUB-SOU . They are important routes .

Eirules

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:14 pm

OA260 wrote:
EIEIDW wrote:

Certainly is it will be like a ghost airport and have huge impact on the NI economy and airport jobs. Very sad . Hopefully someone can take up BHD-SOU and DUB-SOU . They are important routes .

Could we see EI Regional take over DUB-SOU/EXE?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

jrfspa320

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:28 pm

What about EIR basing an ATR at BHD? Or operating W schedules from other bases

kaitak

Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:36 pm

I'm sure they will look at that. I would imagine that, being a prospective investor, Stobart would be well aware of BE's financial position and would have anticipated this. I would be surprised if they did not have plans for these and other routes. I am particularly interested to know what will happen with the Embraer 190s, which are being ferried back to DUB this evening. I have heard that all ATR cabin crews are being trained on these (planned before the collapse of BE), so I would expect to see them flying some EI routes in the near future.

VanBosch

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:17 pm

Dub-SOU would be a perfect route for EI regional - Flybe was 3xday?

EI321

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:49 am

They flew it previously.

ShamrockBoi330

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:05 am

[twoid]⁹[/twoid]
OA260 wrote:
EIEIDW wrote:

Important, does that translate to profitable?
if it was a profitable route, it will be picked up by someone, no?

OA260

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:08 am

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
[twoid]⁹[/twoid]
OA260 wrote:
EIEIDW wrote:

Important, does that translate to profitable?
if it was a profitable route, it will be picked up by someone, no?

DUB and BHD to SOU was indeed profitable so lets hope your right and they are indeed picked up.

BrianDromey

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:19 am

Given what’s happened and the involvement of Stobart, I wouldn’t be surprised if something was created from the flyBe ashes using Stobart as the operator. Sling it all on the VS or EI website/infrastructure and Bob’s your uncle.

I wonder what will happen on IoM, for example. That’s a Stobart base operating for flyBe, 2x ATRs, I think?

dstc47

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:42 am

Very sad news about poor old Flybe, struggling for a long time, it joins so many carriers I have known and used.
Best wishes to their staff for life in future. While Southampton is probably one of the best of their routes ex-Ireland, the decline in cruise related traffic might be a problem.

EI-EIO was/ or is a Pa 34 first registered in 1991. I believe there was indeed a Mr Mc Donald associated with it!

JAmie2k9

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:56 am

Sad to see Flybe go, their capacity at DUB was around 450-500k but a worse situation for BHD. Likely most Dublin routes will be picked up apart from maybe Exeter.

Southampton - EI
Cardiff - EI or FR
Exeter - EI though FR miight

Clydenairways

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:21 am

NOC-MAN will surely be picked up by another operator too, it's been served a long time by a lot of different airlines.