Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 3/20

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:38 pm

Ryanair doesn't expect to operate any flights in April or May

Ryanair has said it expects that most of its flights will be grounded from today.

In a tweet, the airline said it does not expect to operate flights during the months of April and May at this time, adding that this will clearly depend on government advice.

Ryanair also said today that it has offered its planes to all EU governments, both for rescue flights and to operate essential flights for the movement of vital medicines, personal protective equipment - and if necessary - emergency food supplies.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0324/1125 ... -grounded/

EI564

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:09 pm

It does seem to have a very limited set of flights on sale for April. Mainly to the UK.

It is very close to 0 network wide but Ireland has a few left because of its island status (presumably).

OA260

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:13 pm

All flights DUB-LCY by EI to be suspended from
25/3 to 30/4. As per Aer Lingus .

JannEejit

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:22 pm

OA260 wrote:
The Irish Times view on the Putin playbook: Russian bombers near Ireland

The Russian aircraft did not violate Irish sovereign airspace but flying through international airspace controlled by Irish aviation authorities on unscheduled flights when the aircraft are flying with their transponders turned off and without making contact with Irish air traffic controllers is not going to win you many friends in a busy area used by commercial and private aircraft.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/edito ... 1?mode=amp

Just curious, does the Irish Air Corp have any kind of QRA facility for these occasions ? Do NATO jets appear over Irish airspace enroute to intercept the Russians ? I'm assuming a pair of Pilatus PC-9's are not dispatched... :lol:

IrishTexan

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 pm

Hopefully this will get those Irish stranded in Peru started on their way back home.
British Airways B777-200ER G-YMMN Operates Lima Extra.
Mar 24, 2020
British Airways Boeing 777-236ER G-YMMN operated an additional London Heathrow – Lima extra this morning as BA9110.
From http://thebasource.com/

Skyblue39

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:38 pm

Pretty annoyed with TAP. Has a flight booked in May OPO-LIS-DUB. Suddenly the flight no longer appears in the Manage my Booking section of their website and no email update. When I finally got through to a rep, I was told the flight had been cancelled. Pretty sly to be honest. Absolutely no notification or email to advise me of that or what my options are. Phone rep said I couldn’t apply for a refund and didn’t seem too bothered about my anger. Can anybody advise? Pretty poor from
TAP. Just cancel the flight and hope people do nothing.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
Pretty annoyed with TAP. Has a flight booked in May OPO-LIS-DUB. Suddenly the flight no longer appears in the Manage my Booking section of their website and no email update. When I finally got through to a rep, I was told the flight had been cancelled. Pretty sly to be honest. Absolutely no notification or email to advise me of that or what my options are. Phone rep said I couldn’t apply for a refund and didn’t seem too bothered about my anger. Can anybody advise? Pretty poor from

I have a similar situation with AA (operated by IB). Was due to fly TFS-MAD-LHR this Saturday (I didn't go to Tenerife in the end but the flights were still booked). The TFS-MAD sector got cancelled with no notification e-mail, only saw it when I logged into the booking management page. No option for a refund just to "call reservations" to change the date...and obviously you have to wait a ridiculous amount of time to speak to someone on the phone. I'm not too bothered about it as it was a mileage redemption trip with little cash spent on it but I do hope they eventually give me back the miles...

iRISH251

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:44 pm

JannEejit wrote:
OA260 wrote:

The Russian aircraft did not violate Irish sovereign airspace but flying through international airspace controlled by Irish aviation authorities on unscheduled flights when the aircraft are flying with their transponders turned off and without making contact with Irish air traffic controllers is not going to win you many friends in a busy area used by commercial and private aircraft.

Just curious, does the Irish Air Corp have any kind of QRA facility for these occasions ? Do NATO jets appear over Irish airspace enroute to intercept the Russians ? I'm assuming a pair of Pilatus PC-9's are not dispatched... :lol:

The Irish Air Corps has no jet combat aircraft. The rest you can work out from there.

shamrock350

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:44 pm

JannEejit wrote:
OA260 wrote:

The Irish Government has an agreement with the UK Government for the RAF to intercept aircraft in these situations. There are increasing calls for Ireland to invest in its own defence systems, it lacks the radar, aircraft and personnel to face these challenges.

OA260

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:16 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
OA260 wrote:

The Irish Government has an agreement with the UK Government for the RAF to intercept aircraft in these situations. There are increasing calls for Ireland to invest in its own defence systems, it lacks the radar, aircraft and personnel to face these challenges.

Better to keep the agreement with the UK makes far more sense and economic sense ! The bill after this crisis and rebuilding the country with billions lost will need to be priority over expensive military projects.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:07 pm

Is there something going on at ORK? RE3729 (MAN-ORK) and RE3709 (BHX-ORK) are diverting to KIR according to Flightradar24. No first attempts at approach were made at ORK.

OA260

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:39 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Is there something going on at ORK? RE3729 (MAN-ORK) and RE3709 (BHX-ORK) are diverting to KIR according to Flightradar24. No first attempts at approach were made at ORK.

Going to KIR for storage I heard .

AmricanShamrok

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:43 pm

OA260 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

Going to KIR for storage I heard .

Cheers. Presumably there were no pax on those flights then.

Eagleboy

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:05 am

Aer Lingus cargo flights to/from China will commence next Saturday.
1 on 28th, 2 on 29th,ramping up quite quickly, there will be 5 departures on Wed 1st April.
DUB-PEK is the routing. Flights number are EIN9016-9023 (even going East)

OA260

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:03 am

Eagleboy wrote:
Aer Lingus cargo flights to/from China will commence next Saturday.
1 on 28th, 2 on 29th,ramping up quite quickly, there will be 5 departures on Wed 1st April.
DUB-PEK is the routing. Flights number are EIN9016-9023 (even going East)

When people on here suggested Aer Lingus go East who would have thought it would be for medical aid !

Eirules

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:10 am

Alitalia are apparently to operate a number of DUB flights tomorrow to repatriate people from both countries. I wonder why not EI or FR since they’d normally have flown the routes
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

VFRonTop

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 am

Eirules wrote:
Alitalia are apparently to operate a number of DUB flights tomorrow to repatriate people from both countries. I wonder why not EI or FR since they’d normally have flown the routes

These repatriation flights will have been organised by the government(s) and with Alitalia now fully nationalised I expect the Italian government took the lead and co-ordinated this.

Clydenairways

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:16 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

Most of the Stobart fleet is going to be stored there, including the Embraers.

JannEejit

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Thanks for the info, I thought it must be along those lines.

JannEejit

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:23 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

Is that Stobart stopping completely today then ? I noted a pair of Aer Lingus A320's operating GLA and EDI this morning.

OA260

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:54 pm

JannEejit wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

Is that Stobart stopping completely today then ? I noted a pair of Aer Lingus A320's operating GLA and EDI this morning.

Still operating from March 25th to March 29th, 2020:

The below flights DUB-EDI and DUB-GLA will also continue to be operated by Aer Lingus Regional:
o (EI 3552 / 3554 / 3522 / 3523)

On routes DUB-BHX and DUB-MAN:

Aer Lingus mainline services will continue to operate on DUB-BHX and DUB-MAN between 22nd March 2020 and 30th April 2020.

Looks like EI mainline has stepped in due to demand

OA260

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:38 pm

Ryanair and owner of Aer Lingus well placed to see out Covid-19 crisis say analysts
Carriers have cash to withstand longer-term grounding of flights

Ryanair and Aer Lingus owner International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG) are among the best placed carriers to see out the Covid-19 crisis, analysts say.

Airlines globally could lose €230 billion in revenues this year as passenger flights are grounded amid efforts to halt the spread of coronavirus in Europe and the US, according to some estimates.

Stephen Furlong and Ross Harvey, analysts with Irish stockbrokers, Davy, say in a note published on Wednesday that Ryanair and IAG, which owns Aer Lingus and British Airways, “look to be the most secure” among Europe’s airlines.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 7?mode=amp

Eagleboy

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Any clarity on Stobart? Is it an 8 week grounding?
Or is this grounding, combined with the administration of Connect looking ominous for their future?

OA260

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:49 pm

AZ 241 Airbus A330 aircraft will arrive at DUB 16:55 tomorrow from FCO.

OA260

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 pm

Passenger numbers down 76% at Dublin Airport

Passenger numbers at Dublin Airport are down 76% according to the latest figures from the DAA.

Siobhan Moore, External Communications manager at the airport, said numbers are expected to "dwindle" further.

However, she said the airport will remain open for repatriation flights and cargo.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0325/1126 ... n-flights/

Galwayman

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:50 am

Skyblue39 wrote:

The airlines are pretty much all acting in unison , they’re not doing refunds as the governments are unlikely to take actions against them . Most probably they’ll offer credit notes to be used as part payment for more expensive flights over the next 18 months , expect zero sympathy from government . Insurance claims or section 75 on credit cards might work .

OA260

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:20 am

Coronavirus Ireland: Aer Lingus to fly Airbus A330 planes to China 60 times to collect medical supplies

Exclusive: The pilots won't even be able to leave the plane - or they risk being put into quarantine

The front section of the plane will be sectioned off for the staff to rest.

A spare pilot will be on board for all 11 hour flights. No cabin crew workers are expected to travel.

www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/coro ... 751435.amp

Eagleboy

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 am

not really sure why we needed such a badly written article to highlight an operation we knew was happening.

But this entire “black swan” event has long term ramifications. Over the last 5-10 years we have seen the rise of China, the resurgence of Russia and the decline of the US. I feel this pandemic could catapult China ahead of the US.

captainmeeerkat

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 am

Galwayman wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

The airlines are pretty much all acting in unison , they’re not doing refunds as the governments are unlikely to take actions against them . Most probably they’ll offer credit notes to be used as part payment for more expensive flights over the next 18 months , expect zero sympathy from government . Insurance claims or section 75 on credit cards might work .

I had a flight booked with Aeroflot to Dublin in the middle of March. Called them 3 days before and cancelled it without a problem, even though the flight was still running. Had to pay a 37Euro fee but the remaining money will be refunded to my card shortly. Very professional and courteous staff during a busy time for them.
my luggage is better travelled than me!

OA260

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:23 am

Shannon Airport Continuing To Facilitate Flights To Repatriate Passengers And Provide Essential Services

Shannon Group has said that, as of this time and on a significantly reduced basis, it is continuing to facilitate flights to repatriate passengers and provide essential services.

"Particularly Important" To Stay Open

In a statement on Shannon Airport's website, Shannon Group CEO Mary Considine said, "Shannon Airport is continuing to facilitate airline services for our passengers, cargo operators and aviation businesses based at Shannon. In these unprecedented times, it is particularly important that we endeavour to keep our airport open to facilitate the transport of essential and emergency goods, and, as of this time, we will continue to operate on a significantly reduced basis.

www.hospitalityireland.com/general-indu ... ices-93429

--

US troops 'directed' to stay on flights during Shannon stopover due to Covid-19

US military personnel passing through Shannon Airport on their way to and from the US, Middle East and Europe have been instructed not to get off their aircraft after landing at the airport.
Concerns have been expressed in recent weeks that US troops continue to be allowed transit Shannon despite President Donald Trump imposing a travel ban on passengers flying to the US amid Covid-19 fears.
In recent weeks and days, one civilian airline carrying US military personnel has made almost daily stops at Shannon travelling to and from the US, the Middle East and European countries including Bulgaria, Poland and The Netherlands.

www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/us-troops-d ... 90054.html

AmricanShamrok

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 am

5 daily EI flights from DUB-PEK...wow. I wonder what the schedule will look like. 5 EI A330s at PEK would be some photo op!

OA260

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
5 daily EI flights from DUB-PEK...wow. I wonder what the schedule will look like. 5 EI A330s at PEK would be some photo op!

It certainly would. Once in a lifetime shot ( hopefully ) . After all this I doubt we will see the same network we have seen up to now. Expect a shrinking of the whole network as demand will
still be flat even after the restrictions are relaxed for a long time.

wexfordflyer

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 am

OA260 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

It certainly would. Once in a lifetime shot ( hopefully ) . After all this I doubt we will see the same network we have seen up to now. Expect a shrinking of the whole network as demand will

Really hoping we get to see some photos. It really is fascinating to see how something can change the world in such a short period of time. And to turn on 5 daily EI flights to China, albeit cargo only!

I also think it will be so interesting to see how airline networks start to grow and develop after this is all over, as you say it will be a slow return. It's also intersting to thing that with such a comprehensive grounding across the world, it's like airlines have a clean sheet to start with.

It's also going to be interesting to see the medium term impacts on Dublin Airport. The last few years have been year on year growth, and it's become a very intersting network and variety at the airport. It will be a long time before they get to the 32/33m passengers of last year again!
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

Clydenairways

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 pm

OA260 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

After all this I doubt we will see the same network we have seen up to now. Expect a shrinking of the whole network as demand will

Are we really sure about that? In affected area's in China now that travel restrictions are lifted, there has been a big wave of people just wanting to get out and travel to visit somewhere else. The impact of a prolonged lockdown could be the same in Europe with people desperate to get out and visit again when the restrictions are lifted.
I agree that business travel will take much longer to recover and because the economic effect also the high end leisure business will not bounce back as quick. But i think affordable holidays will be in high demand quite quickly when the risks of the virus have ended.

OA260

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Clydenairways wrote:

Are we really sure about that? But i think affordable holidays will be in high demand quite quickly when the risks of the virus have ended.

Airlines will want to claw that money back with high fares and we are seeing it already in some future routes / bookings. Demand will be a lot lower so affordable holidays might be few and
far between. It also very much depends on how this virus contiunes in Europe and of course what happens in the US. Then of course how many airlines go under in the meantime.

Quote from UK/Ireland manager of Norwegian

“We are heading towards national carriers again, nationalised airports and a probable huge reduction in flights. It sounds dreadful, but, we are entering a phase environmentally where the word sustainable has to be placed before everything. As a 25 year aviation employee, I’ve never seen a period like it.”

iRISH251

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:44 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

I doubt they will go in one wave - more likely spread out over a day so as to enable the ground handling etc. to cope.

Eagleboy

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:55 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

Unfortunately that wouldn't be possible. The schedule wildly varies from day to day and the departures are spaced out though the day.
Once in Bejing the aircraft are planned to be on the ground for under 2 hours.
Several of the current planned timings are at night (ie STA 0010, 0300, 1800, 2100)

Galwayman

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:13 pm

If the EI China crews aren’t leaving the aircraft - there must be a tech stop somewhere to rotate the crews in and out . .... Wizz used Kazakhstan , possibly because they already had flights to The-City -Formerly -Known- as -Astana

BrianDromey

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:33 pm

Galwayman wrote:
If the EI China crews aren’t leaving the aircraft - there must be a tech stop somewhere to rotate the crews in and out . .... Wizz used Kazakhstan , possibly because they already had flights to The-City -Formerly -Known- as -Astana

Looks like they are flying there and back - rest in the business class cabin by the sounds of things. An unusual working, for sure, but an unusual time.

OA260

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Galwayman wrote:

As per article above :

''The front section of the plane will be sectioned off for the staff to rest.

A spare pilot will be on board for all 11 hour flights. No cabin crew workers are expected to travel.''

I also heard someone from engineering will be onboard in case of any tech issues.

kaitak

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:31 pm

New planning measures will all but abolish viewing opportunities around the new runway:

https://www.thejournal.ie/daa-approval- ... 5Lfp4u2k3o

Also, it looks like Etihad is planning to be back here from the 10th, once the UAE lifts its flight ban. No information about EK.

Fliplot

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:53 pm

Unless of course they create an observation deck? Come on - with the DAA anything is possible!!!! Maybe they could turn it into a commercial opportunity.

EI564

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:08 pm

OA260 wrote:
“We are heading towards national carriers again, nationalised airports and a probable huge reduction in flights. It sounds dreadful, but, we are entering a phase environmentally where the word sustainable has to be placed before everything. As a 25 year aviation employee, I’ve never seen a period like it.”

It is very difficult to know where we will be in 2 years but i'm not surprised that the Norwegian employee is saying how bad things are. They need help asap.

It took us 7 years to recover from the last recession.

Skyblue39

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:37 pm

Dublin Airport Facebook have posted a nice video of the Delta A359 being loaded with Pharma produce and medical supplies before departure to ATL today.

dstc47

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:44 am

Our thanks due to the EI crews undertaking these services.

While the novelty factor will be something for the logbook, I am sure that is not why they are going.
And thanks to all aviation employees at this time. Keep washing your hands!

shamrock321

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
OA260 wrote:
As per article above :

''The front section of the plane will be sectioned off for the staff to rest.

A spare pilot will be on board for all 11 hour flights. No cabin crew workers are expected to travel.''

I also heard someone from engineering will be onboard in case of any tech issues.

Rather than quoting the badly written article we can use actual info.
This is an emergency situation and normal rules have been relaxed by the IAA. The round trip will be over 25 hours long.
2 crews onboard with an additional 'relief pilot'. The Business class seats and/or flight crew bunk are sufficient for rest enroute and on the return.
There will be 3 other Line Mtce/Cargo staff to look after loading and engineering aspects.
With no passengers there is no requirement for cabin crew.

Are you sure? At my airline we’ve just been issued a notice to say if cargo is being carried in the cabin then there must be 2 cabin crew know board. Pilots are not trained to fight fires in the cabin should one break out.

OA260

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Passengers and agents allege Aer Lingus is breaking law on refunds
Airline denies claims while flying near-empty planes to US despite restrictions on arrivals

Aer Lingus has denied it is breaking the law by not offering full refunds to passengers who have had flights cancelled due to the coronavirus crisis.

However, passengers, tour operators and travel agents have all flagged significant issues when dealing with the airline in recent days.

Aer Lingus has also been accused of side-stepping refund claims from US-bound passengers by flying virtually empty planes across the Atlantic despite the fact that Irish passengers with bookings cannot travel as a result of restrictions imposed by the Trump administration.

The owner of the Tour America travel agency Mary McKenna said Aer Lingus was one of a number of airlines not following EU regulations and refusing to give passengers refunds.

She said it was attempting to push people into accepting vouchers or alternate bookings instead of giving them money back. She also said it was withholding money paid out by travel agents on behalf of clients. “They have thrown the travel agents and tour operators under the bus,” she said. “A voucher instead of a refund is not acceptable and it is not going to be much use to someone who has lost their job.”

www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/trave ... -1.4213285

OA260

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:45 pm

Fliplot

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:23 pm

That other airlines are not issuing refunds does not excuse EI. It does let us know what EI actually thinks of its guests though!!!
Way to go EI!!!

OA260

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Sad news USIT Travel just went into administration. Many Irish students will remember them for the J1 USA visas .

'A very difficult day': Travel agency USIT goes into liquidation due to coronavirus
USIT, which specialises in student travel, employs 76 people in Dublin, Cork, Galway, and Limerick.

www.thejournal.ie/usit-kinlay-group-eng ... 7-Mar2020/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos