Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mats
Topic Author

Shouting vs Announcing Emergency Commands

Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:07 pm

I have seen a few clips of practice and restaged evacuations. It seemed like the crew made a cacophony of top-of-their lungs, "Heads down! Stay down! Leave everything! Jump! Get out! Arms out front!" etc.

They need to be heard, there is no PA option, there may be noise from the evacuation.

But would it be better if they spoke more slowly, more clearly? Would the commands be easier to understand and more effective?
Would passengers listen more and get out sooner if the commands were not at the point of shouting?

Antarius

Re: Shouting vs Announcing Emergency Commands

Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:25 pm

I don't know. My gut tells me that in the moment of panic and adrenaline, shouting simple, concise words gets the message across quickly. There is no time to think and process, so BRACE or HEADS DOWN is responded to as a reaction.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

DFW17L

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:18 am

And yet, some foolish passengers still interrupt the evacuation process by stopping to grab their carry-ons.

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:22 am

Chanting is a proven technique to make a crowd follow your instructions.
All posts are just opinions.

hz747300

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:26 am

There's a youtube video of the crew shouting commands during the emergency landing. The same command over and over again. I found one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u2ZMXuc-Jg

I can't remember if this is the one I recalled or not, but I can't decide this instills more panic or doesn't...
Keep on truckin'...

kabq737

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:31 am

Shouting is abnormal and therefore catches Passengers attention. Quiet and calm speaking would be easy to ignore just like the safety briefing is.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

gunsontheroof

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:54 am

I'd have to imagine that voice commands are standard practice since, as others have pointed out, shouting is abnormal and thus attention-grabbing. The other consideration would be that in an emergency situation, there's no guarantee that the aircraft's PA system will still be functional and with time being critical, it's not something you'd want to even bother investigating when passengers need to be off the aircraft ASAP.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

USAirKid

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:03 am

hz747300 wrote:
There's a youtube video of the crew shouting commands during the emergency landing. The same command over and over again. I found one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u2ZMXuc-Jg

I can't remember if this is the one I recalled or not, but I can't decide this instills more panic or doesn't...

I found the FO’s PA announcement at the end to be a bit odd. Kinda too calm and verbose in some ways.

san88

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 am

In recurrent training, it has been focused to shout commands and not chant. Commands must be shouted clearly in order to get a passing grade from instructor. Commands also differ depending on conditions (fire, smoke, water, obstruction). Shouting commands is common in imminent emergency. Announcing instructions are common on planned emergency (such as a planned ditching with time permitting)
sit on the Captain side when you fly into SAN

IPFreely

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:01 am

dtw2hyd wrote:

It would have been cool to see Sully leading US Airways 1549 passengers onto the wings with everyone chanting "Hey Hey, Ho Ho, Off The Plane We Must Go."

Sokes

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:33 pm

IPFreely wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

It would have been cool to see Sully leading US Airways 1549 passengers onto the wings with everyone chanting "Hey Hey, Ho Ho, Off The Plane We Must Go."

Alternatively "What shall we do with the drunken sailor?" may have been a nice song.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

SwissCanuck

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:43 pm

Question to OP, do you think that a coin was flipped to decide what approach to use?

Prost

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:41 pm

In one emergency landing which required evacuation, the news media interviewed passengers and they said the FAs were so rude yelling at them. It should be noted everyone got out alive. It may have been AF A-340 in YYZ, but I’m not positive on that.

Junction

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:01 pm

Prost wrote:
In one emergency landing which required evacuation, the news media interviewed passengers and they said the FAs were so rude yelling at them.

I remember that too. It's a Millennial thing to think that they were being rude. (and yes I do realize Millennials can be up to 39 years of age now)

User001

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:29 pm

Threads on airliners get more and more bizzare by the day.

The plane is potentially in a catastrophic situation, and the crew have an industry standard of 90 seconds to evacuate the aircraft. Therefore they really don't have the time to start pondering how their commands may be construed and if they are rude/offensive etc. They are just concerned with getting your ass out of there. This isn't a time to be all nice nicey, polite, yes sir no sir. Customer service is well and truly out of the window at this point.

And also remember they may be shouting so much as they may be scared too, their life is just as much at stake as yours, and no amount of training can prepare for the fact its a perfectly normal emotion to be scared in such situations.

N649DL

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:53 pm

Prost wrote:
In one emergency landing which required evacuation, the news media interviewed passengers and they said the FAs were so rude yelling at them. It should be noted everyone got out alive. It may have been AF A-340 in YYZ, but I’m not positive on that.

That's the one that landing during a severe thunderstorm and literally almost became an explosive inferno had they not got everyone out in time. I wouldn't have cared if they were rude or not, I would've bolted out of that thing so f-ing fast.

USAIRWAYS321

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:58 pm

Emergency procedures need to be built around the assumption that the PA system won't be functional. In addition to points about about shouting being abnormal and therefore more likely to capture passengers' attention, the first reaction for an FA should be to do something that can't be hindered by a systems outage.

LordMontenegro

Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:15 pm

I can provide some insight on this. There are several reasons crews are trained to shout verbal commands in the event of an emergency, whether it be planned or unplanned:

1. The PA may not be usable, or using it could potentially make an emergency situation worse. The PA system may be inoperable due to damage or malfunction, or there could be an environmental reason you'd want to avoid using it (fuel vapors in the cabin, for example). Additionally, if you're in the process of evacuating the aircraft, you don't need to be fiddling with the PA cords and buttons; you're already going to be busy assessing and opening or blocking your exit, depending on the conditions.

2. Passengers tend to panic or freeze up in an emergency. Passengers tend to respond well to strong verbal commands and authority in emergency situations, so crews are taught to take control of the cabin and constantly be repeating commands to keep people aware of what they're supposed to be doing. There are a variety of factors that need to be constantly assessed in an emergency situation, such as whether an evacuation is warranted and which exits are safe to use. Panicking/frozen people can create additional chaos they are left to their own devices. Seconds matter in an aircraft emergency, especially if there are smoke, fumes, or fire dangers.

3. It keeps the crew members breathing and focused. Crews are human as well, and by training crews to shout commands over and over, it reduces the potential for panicking in the crew members and primes them to react to the situation at hand. Each airline has their own procedures for emergencies and evacuations, but generally there are certain commands you shout when you're doing each step (bracing for landing/impact, assessing, evacuating, and then once outside the aircraft).

I get why regular people may think the crews using their verbal commands may come across as "rude" or "yelling" or "scary", but the reality is that means they're doing what they were trained to do. Airlines will not pass a crew member through training if he or she does not adequately display competency in emergency procedures, and a big part of that is being able to shout commands loudly enough so that every passenger is able to hear what they're supposed to be doing.

txjim

Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:26 pm

SwissCanuck wrote:
Question to OP, do you think that a coin was flipped to decide what approach to use?

He asked an interesting question, why the snark?

FGITD

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:10 pm

USAirKid wrote:
hz747300 wrote:

I found the FO’s PA announcement at the end to be a bit odd. Kinda too calm and verbose in some ways.

Very typical pilot. It is a strange transition however.

BRACE BRACE BRACE....ladies and gentlemen we've arrived here where in Raleigh wherethe local time is...

I also can't imagine the poor customer helpdesk who had to deal with "the crew was a little rude and pushy while getting us out of the burning hulk of airplane left in the ditch at the end of the runway"

cpd

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:17 pm

txjim wrote:
SwissCanuck wrote:

He asked an interesting question, why the snark?

I’d have thought a combination of both ways would be best. Loud, clear commands.

Nothing is worse than someone shouting a series of panicked instructions at a million miles an hour that are completely unintelligible. Nobody understands what is being said and it adds to the chaos.

rampbro

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:04 am

Junction wrote:
Prost wrote:
In one emergency landing which required evacuation, the news media interviewed passengers and they said the FAs were so rude yelling at them.

I remember that too. It's a Millennial thing to think that they were being rude. (and yes I do realize Millennials can be up to 39 years of age now)

I don't think this would have been Millenials - we actually don't care if we live or die, so hardly have a concern whether an FA was rude to us during an evacuation.

On the other hand, I could a see a Boomer demanding to speak to a manager during the evacuation, because they were worried this might mean they wouldn't get their gluten-free meal.

Junction

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:33 pm

rampbro wrote:
Junction wrote:
Prost wrote:

I don't think this would have been Millenials - we actually don't care if we live or die, so hardly have a concern whether an FA was rude to us during an evacuation.

On the other hand, I could a see a Boomer demanding to speak to a manager during the evacuation, because they were worried this might mean they wouldn't get their gluten-free meal.

True about Boomer being more demanding, but if you have the attitude of not caring whether you live or die you are probably not reflective of the stereotypical Millennial. At any rate, thank god we have Gen Z queuing up to straighten everything out.

Noshow

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:05 pm

The automatic emergency announcements by synthetic voice, like "put on your oxygen mask now", are more "polite" and they are loud but not overly loud and sort of normal tone. However looped.

modesto2

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:02 pm

I’ve never been in a real emergency evacuation, but I once participated in a drill at DL’s training facility. With “smoke” in the cabin trainer and everyone evacuating, it was a chaotic environment, and I found the FA’s shouting commands to be very effective in providing clear, concise instructions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos