Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Delta Announces SEA-LHR For 2021

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:56 pm

In addition to SEA-CMH/DFW, Delta plans to launch a daily SEA-LHR in 2021, obviously in response to AA.

SEA-LHR on Delta is a resumption after dropping its flight for PDX-LHR.

The daily DL SEA-LHR flight will complement VS’ 2x daily SEA-LHR flight.

https://news.delta.com/delta-seattles-g ... ummer-ever
Last edited by Ishrion on Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HNLSLCPDX

Re: Delta Announces SEA-LHR For 2021

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:02 pm

AA, BA, VS, and DL all flying into LHR. I don’t think everyone is going to be successful. Also DY goes into LGW. SEA-LON is stacked. Now if only SAS or Aeroflot would come back to SEA.

717atOGG

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:04 pm

Interesting. It’s still not completely clear whether the new AA SEA-LHR flight is complementing or replacing BA’s 2 daily flights during peak season, but either way, by S21 we should have either 6 or 7 peak daily flights between SEA and LON: 2.5 from VS and DL, 2/3 from AA/BA, and DY 3x/week from LGW. I know SEA has been experiencing explosive growth lately, but I wonder if this will be sustainable long term...we shall see.
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175, CR9

onwFan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Together with SEA-DFW, this screams desperation by DL. Looks like DL planning is having sleepless nights and weekends - I wouldn’t be surprised if PDX-LHR disappears soon and all eggs go into the SEA basket.

Brickell305

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:08 pm

Good luck to DL on this. It's going to be tough as AA has both the AS feed on the SEA end and the BA feed on the LHR end, both of which IIRC are bigger than DL's feed on the SEA end and VS's feed on the LHR end respectively.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:10 pm

717atOGG wrote:
Interesting. It’s still not completely clear whether the new AA SEA-LHR flight is complementing or replacing BA’s 2 daily flights during peak season, but either way, by S21 we should have either 6 or 7 peak daily flights between SEA and LON: 2.5 from VS and DL, 2/3 from AA/BA, and DY 3x/week from LGW. I know SEA has been experiencing explosive growth lately, but I wonder if this will be sustainable long term...we shall see.

Not sure where I read it, but I believe they’re complementing BA’s existing flights.
Last edited by Ishrion on Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invertir

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:10 pm

The SEA-DFW is hilariously petty, but that said, it's on a A220 so the unit economics will be incredible. Won't take too many people on the plane to pay for it.

MIflyer12

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:15 pm

onwFan wrote:
Together with SEA-DFW, this screams desperation by DL. Looks like DL planning is having sleepless nights and weekends - I wouldn’t be surprised if PDX-LHR disappears soon and all eggs go into the SEA basket.

They're too busy counting their money to have sleepless nights, both 7x the profit sharing that AA employees got, and 180% more net income earned by DL than AA in 2019.

onwFan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Also, since this is for S21, they can always trim back depending on demand. I think their idea is to push AA/BA to give up one frequency. Although, based on history of DL’s competitive routes to LHR, it is going to be VS that will drop their extra frequency.

SeanM1997

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:18 pm

London Heathrow - Delta Summer 2021, at present:
2x ATL
1x BOS
2x DTW
1x MSP
3x JFK
1x PDX
1x SLC
1x SEA

12 daily flights would be the highest number of flights Delta have ever had at Heathrow

onwFan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:18 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
onwFan wrote:

They're too busy counting their money to have sleepless nights, both 7x the profit sharing that AA employees got, and 180% more net income earned by DL than AA in 2019.

Sure, and they apparently seem to have found an excellent way to burn that excess money.

flymco753

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Woah, this market is going to be way too saturated. I wonder who busts first.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

MIflyer12

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:21 pm

Ishrion wrote:
The daily DL SEA-LHR flight will compliment VS’ 2x daily SEA-LHR flight.

That's the important detail in an anti-trust immunized, revenue-sharing JV. It really doesn't matter which party operates it.

Seven or eight flights a day does sound like a lot of seats for a West Coast market the size of SEA to LON. Compare it to YVR, SFO (and DEN or ORD).

flyingclrs727

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:23 pm

invertir wrote:
The SEA-DFW is hilariously petty, but that said, it's on a A220 so the unit economics will be incredible. Won't take too many people on the plane to pay for it.

So this might have been planned not just a reaction. It's not the first DL A220 flying out of DFW.

onwFan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:23 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
The daily DL SEA-LHR flight will compliment VS’ 2x daily SEA-LHR flight.

That's the important detail in an anti-trust immunized, revenue-sharing JV. It really doesn't matter which party operates it.

Seven or eight flights a day does sound like a lot of seats for a West Coast market the size of SEA to LON. Compare it to YVR, SFO (and DEN or ORD).

I bet this replaces PDX-LHR for S21 when BA is bound to go daily.

TTailedTiger

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:26 pm

onwFan wrote:

Agreed. I'd love to know if DL has made any money at all in SEA. They thought they could come in and throw AS out. They were extremely arrogant.

GCT64

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:30 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
AA, BA, VS, and DL all flying into LHR. I don’t think everyone is going to be successful. Also DY goes into LGW. SEA-LON is stacked. Now if only SAS or Aeroflot would come back to SEA.

Ignoring DY, it's really only two airlines (DL+VS, AA+BA), not four, as they both have immunised JVs. It does seem like a lot of capacity though, someone will probably blink first and give up a flight rather than let yields drop. Perhaps VS will take over LHR-PDX in a swap wth DL. From my experience (e.g. I'm off to PDX tomorrow from LHR via SEA) there is definitely a LHR-PDX business market to be addressed, hence BA starting that route later in the year.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

SeanM1997

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:31 pm

2x ATL
1x BOS
2x DTW
1x MSP
3x JFK
1x PDX
1x SLC
1x SEA

12 daily flights would be the highest number of flights Delta have ever had at Heathrow

DeltaMD90

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:33 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
They thought they could come in and throw AS out. They were extremely arrogant.

Source??

You know that more than one airline can hub a city and make money, right? You're saying Delta's objective was to throw out AS? I don't think anyone thinks that but you

UAL777UK

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:33 pm

Way too much capacity surely on that route. Something has to give and with the feed at both ends for AA/BA, I suspect it will be DL/VS that blinks first.

MAH4546

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:35 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:

DL/VS and AA/BA have metal neutral joint ventures. They do not compete. It’s technically three airlines on the route. Still way too much capacity in a market that can’t handle it though.
a.

HNLSLCPDX

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:35 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
onwFan wrote:

Agreed. I'd love to know if DL has made any money at all in SEA. They thought they could come in and throw AS out. They were extremely arrogant.

I wouldn’t say DL thought they could throw AS out after the partnership but simply saw at the time an underserved market that could be a hub for two airlines. I don’t think SEA has exceeded any expectations but I definitely don’t think it’s been a money loser as some here say or want it to be. There are still a couple more dots they could add I believe.

Cointrin330

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Delta feeling the heat? Didn't they cede the route to VS a while back because the VS product is more appealing to the tech folks that would use this route?

LawAndOrder

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:50 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
onwFan wrote:

This is a business. They have done damage to AS look at their yields. They are the lowest they have ever been. Furthermore I seem to remember a once arrogant AS adding flights into ATL from other places besides SEA cough PDX cough - which competed directly with DL instead of in partnership with. That my friend started DL network team to start running the numbers. DL is pretty good at what they do despite majority of airliners disliking them. Canceling agreements and distancing yourselves only to come back is called desperation. Cough Alaska cough cough GOL cough Qatar.....

LawAndOrder

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Delta feeling the heat? Didn't they cede the route to VS a while back because the VS product is more appealing to the tech folks that would use this route?

They now have new product so they are back.

Pudelhund

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:55 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
invertir wrote:

So this might have been planned not just a reaction. It's not the first DL A220 flying out of DFW.

I was at DFW last month flying to DTW on the A220. There were four A220 on the ground when I was there. A Delta employee at the gate said DFW was going to be one of the major A220 bases going forward.

Midwestindy

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:56 pm

onwFan wrote:

Wow that's rich.....

The most profitable airline in the world, Delta, launching service from its Hub in SEA, to SEA's 10th largest O&D market(DFW), & DL operating SEA-LHR (largest Trans Oceanic market from SEA) on its own metal from its Hub to a JV partners Hub screams of desperation to you?

Pudelhund wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
invertir wrote:

I was at DFW last month flying to DTW on the A220. There were four A220 on the ground when I was there. A Delta employee at the gate said DFW was going to be one of the major A220 bases going forward.

Yep, A220s are on nearly every route from DFW, SEA is no different
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

flyinghippo

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:59 pm

onwFan wrote:

It's pretty obvious that DL is connecting DFW to all of its hubs (DTW, LGA/JFK, MSP, ATL, SLC and now SEA) and other focused cities. A220 is offering a premium product at a very low cost. Flew to DFW from LGA and DTW multiple times in the past 12 months - the A220 is always a full flight, with virtually no chance of upgrades (I'm a Diamond customer, and I was #29 out of 83 for First Class on my last flight) In fact, the only time I've flown in F on A220 to/from DFW was if it's paid for, never been upgraded. That should tell us that DL is doing something right in DFW. So while their SEA strategy might not be a huge revenue generator, SEA-DFW should make them a decent profit.

As far as SEA as a hub is concerned, DL might be in a better position than AA/BA/AS. While both DL and AS have a comprehensive domestic network, DL offers more international connections out of SEA for its customers than AS can do with AA/BA. DL has the experience of JFK/LGA, where they were #2 airline behind AA a decade ago, and is now the powerhouse at those airports. However, the sheer number of AS partners out of SEA will definitely give DL a run for its money. Will be interesting to see.

onwFan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:09 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
onwFan wrote:

Wow that's rich.....

The most profitable airline in the world, Delta, launching service from its Hub in SEA, to SEA's 10th largest O&D market(DFW), & DL operating SEA-LHR (largest Trans Oceanic market from SEA) on its own metal from its Hub to a JV partners Hub screams of desperation to you?

Pudelhund wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Small correction: Change the ‘Hub’ to ‘Hubling’ (to mean a mini-hub). And yes, it screams of desperation. I’m not trying to pick up a fight - just noting that VS’s lack of feed at LHR has always been an issue in them being able to compete on multiple frequencies with BA. There hasn’t been any route to LHR that DL went after BA/AA like this and succeeded. Plus, in this case - AS is twice as large at SEA and BA is 5x larger at LHR. They are clearly planning to shift the PDX-LHR flight to SEA and seeing whether it stays. That’s it.

onwFan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:13 pm

717atOGG wrote:

With DL launching an additional SEA-LHR, I think it is safe to assume that AA will be complementing and not replacing BA’s frequency.

tphuang

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:18 pm

I would be very surprised if DL is not dropping PDX for this flight.

The news release on this and other additions. A lot of talk in there about usage of A220 and large narrowbodies. Definitely look like they are making the same play as AS trying to put through as many seats in this market as possible. They are kind of doing what I think they should do with A220 in SEA, which is to put them through every market that they are currently running RJs through. The A220 economics is so good vs RJs that they can probably fly those routes with 70% LF and still generate better margins.

Given the current airline industry conditions, these moves by DL/AS seem to be quite maddening.

bkflyguy

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:27 pm

onwFan wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
onwFan wrote:

Small correction: Change the ‘Hub’ to ‘Hubling’ (to mean a mini-hub). And yes, it screams of desperation. I’m not trying to pick up a fight - just noting that VS’s lack of feed at LHR has always been an issue in them being able to compete on multiple frequencies with BA. There hasn’t been any route to LHR that DL went after BA/AA like this and succeeded. Plus, in this case - AS is twice as large at SEA and BA is 5x larger at LHR. They are clearly planning to shift the PDX-LHR flight to SEA and seeing whether it stays. That’s it.

DL is very O/D focused at LHR. Connections from Europe flow through AMS/CDG. And it is all part of one big JV.

Aceskywalker

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:29 pm

DL is matching AA/AS tit for tat at SEA. Not sustainable for all parties long term. SEA is gonna see a capacity glut to LON, which is good for the flyers bad for the companies. I expect Norwegian to tap out and draw down its LGW flight. And DL is big enough and cash filled enough to take on the AA/BA TATL juggernaut.

onwFan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm

bkflyguy wrote:
onwFan wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

DL is very O/D focused at LHR. Connections from Europe flow through AMS/CDG. And it is all part of one big JV.

If they are going after O/D, 3x daily is clearly not the way to go.

spinotter

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:44 pm

invertir wrote:

If DL is serious about establishing a growing hub at SEA, they will need to fly nonstop to DFW, IAH, IAD, MIA or FLL, and so on, just like the flights from their other main hubs.

frontierflyer

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:51 pm

DL should have stated BLR instead if they wanted to make a statement.

flyinghippo

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:52 pm

onwFan wrote:
bkflyguy wrote:
onwFan wrote:

Could you elaborate? Is 3x daily too much? Too little?

DL's SEA-LHR flight is clearly O/D focused where NW US flyers connect to LHR via SEA. If they need to go somewhere else in Europe, they connect via AMS/CDG - so the lack of feed in LHR via VS doesn't really hamper them that much. In fact, I'd say AMS/CDG offers better connections within Europe (and beyond) than LHR since AMS/CDG are not as restricted as LHR.

codc10

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:53 pm

I certainly wouldn't classify anything Delta does as "desperation", but they clearly see the rejuvenated AA/AS relationship as a threat to the SEA franchise, especially given what will likely be medium-term fallout in the Pacific from COVID. After all, SEA's purpose in the DL network is to serve as a primary mainland TPAC gateway. Take that away (or substantially weaken it for any period of time) and the AS value proposition strengthens, with broader/deeper domestic connectivity.

frontierflyer

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:00 pm

codc10 wrote:
I certainly wouldn't classify anything Delta does as "desperation", but they clearly see the rejuvenated AA/AS relationship as a threat to the SEA franchise, especially given what will likely be medium-term fallout in the Pacific from COVID. After all, SEA's purpose in the DL network is to serve as a primary mainland TPAC gateway. Take that away (or substantially weaken it for any period of time) and the AS value proposition strengthens, with broader/deeper domestic connectivity.

Well said !!!

FGITD

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:24 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:

This is a business. They have done damage to AS look at their yields. They are the lowest they have ever been.

And therein lies what is the most likely reason, that often gets overlooked on here. Any airline that shows up on a route doesn't have to beat the competition into submission or dominate the route. Especially not when that new airline is amongst the (if not the) most profitable airlines in the world.

All they have to do is chip away at everyone else's load factors. Sure, they'd like to fill the planes but as long as they take those pax away from the competition, it just becomes a war of attrition. They don't have to beat anyone, but pretty much just sit in the way.

HNLSLCPDX

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:34 pm

DL will also be adding additional frequencies on the following routes from SEA to ANC, AUS, BOI, BOS, BZN, MCI, LAS, MCO, GEG, TPA, and IAD. This will bring DL to 190 daily departures to 56 destinations.

Not too far from their 220 daily flights they said they wanted at SEA.

onwFan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:39 pm

flyinghippo wrote:
onwFan wrote:
bkflyguy wrote:

DL's SEA-LHR flight is clearly O/D focused where NW US flyers connect to LHR via SEA. If they need to go somewhere else in Europe, they connect via AMS/CDG - so the lack of feed in LHR via VS doesn't really hamper them that much. In fact, I'd say AMS/CDG offers better connections within Europe (and beyond) than LHR since AMS/CDG are not as restricted as LHR.

Unfortunately to get the answer to your question, we will most probably have to wait till airlines load their S22 schedules.

flyinghippo

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:44 pm

onwFan wrote:
flyinghippo wrote:
onwFan wrote:

Unfortunately, to get the answer to your question, we will most probably have to wait till airlines load their S22 schedules.

so how did you reach the conclusion that 3x daily is clearly not the way to go?

onwFan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:52 pm

flyinghippo wrote:
onwFan wrote:
flyinghippo wrote:

Unfortunately, to get the answer to your question, we will most probably have to wait till airlines load their S22 schedules.

so how did you reach the conclusion that 3x daily is clearly not the way to go?

Common sense. Will be more than happy to be proved wrong if DL/VS are not 2x on SEA-LHR in S22.

FSDan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:05 pm

invertir wrote:
The SEA-DFW is hilariously petty

DFW is a massive population and business center, and one where DL is actually quite strong. It was a gap in their SEA network, and is an extremely logical add.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Brandon757

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:47 pm

If DL really wanted to be petty (DFW-SEA is not petty) they would attempt MIA-DFW. Now THAT would be petty, but I would love the action.

Indy

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:09 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
2x ATL
1x BOS
2x DTW
1x MSP
3x JFK
1x PDX
1x SLC
1x SEA

Did DL have unused slots at LHR? Are they getting additional for the SEA flight, or is something else getting dropped?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

N649DL

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:27 pm

For some reason, I was already under the assumption that DL was flying SEA-LHR already? I had no idea the market was that saturated. NW actually tried SEA-LGW back in 2008 and that didn't stick around.

SEAflyer97

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:27 pm

N649DL wrote:
For some reason, I was already under the assumption that DL was flying SEA-LHR already? I had no idea the market was that saturated. NW actually tried SEA-LGW back in 2008 and that didn't stick around.

DL's TATL JV--VS is flying 1x daily(2x peak season)

LAXdude1023

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:32 pm

This makes the thread about what UA needs to do next answer more clear: nothing.

Let DL and AA get in a pissing match. UA can just focus on its own plans.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos