Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chepos
Topic Author

New AA uniform launches today

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:21 pm

Surprised this has not been posted here yet (since most things AA create quite the stir around here). New AA uniform for front line employees launches today. Can’t for the life of me figure out how to post a picture here. For those of you instagramers, aastews or aanewblue will show you pictures of flight attendants working flights with the new uniforms today. Nice to see the toxic grey leave and everyone finally looking the same. SYD AA72 had the honor of being the first complete crew to wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Byrdluvs747

Re: New AA uniform launches today

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:30 pm

Meh. Color me disappointed. The new blue uniforms are so generic, and come a little too close to looking like a Delta's "Barney purple" uniform.

The previous black looked way more distinguished, and the color accents(scarves, ties, etc) contrasted better. Yes, I know about the allergic reactions, but I don't understand why they couldn't just change the fabric supplier instead of redesigning the entire uniform.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

UpNAWAy

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:39 pm

#AANEWBLUE to follow team pictures from the field.

seatback

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:40 pm

I thought the recent (old) uniforms were classic and stylish. The new uniforms are very traditional. Also, I hope Delta's not far behind. I feel sorry for their employees who have to wear those terrible purple, oddly cut uniforms. They're awful.

prchan

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:41 pm

https://twitter.com/americanair/status/1234472860971937792?s=21

This is the Twitter link for AA's video on the new uniforms

BN727227Ultra

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:59 pm

I don't care what the unis look like, I just hope they're done making their FAs sick.

cvsirls

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:09 pm

Not gonna lie, kinda boring and already looks circa 2006 ish....... but hey, They wont be sick in them.

cathay747

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:20 pm

I agree, under-whelming, and also agree that what it's replacing in terms of style and colors was much nicer looking.
Try a Little VC-10derness

StrandedAtMKG

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:20 pm

If you looked up "flight attendant uniform" in the dictionary this is exactly what you'd see. Monochromatic dark blue fabrics, knee-length skirts, superfluous scarves (no one wears a silk scarf with a suit jacket in the real world), and generic suits on gentlemen.

Cointrin330

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:34 pm

Boring. Traditional. Uninspiring. The problem uniforms were actually nice design wise, but obviously a major problem and yes, they look like a mild update to the 2006 era uniforms.

aumaverick

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:04 pm

prchan wrote:

Ooof, the cheese of the pose at the end of this video is awful :? :covereyes:
I'm just here so I won't get fined. - Marshawn Lynch

airtran737

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:55 pm

Funny that they put so much time and effort into running away from Twin Hill and over to Lands End for the f/a’s, customer service and others, yet the pilots got a absolute garbage dump uniform from M&H. Shirts that are like trash bags, poor quality jackets and pants, along with sizes which are completely different than before.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

LawAndOrder

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:36 pm

I literally don’t think you could get more generic. I’m surprised they would do such a big splash. I was searching on IG and was like man why haven’t anyone posted yet then I realized oh That is the new uniform.

I don’t understand how people don’t like the tailoring or cut of DL uniforms especially there females. The cuts are amazing the color is up for debate. On that note AA should have done more of a Iberia approach their new uniforms are cohesive blue yet are actually stylized with some fashion.

smi0006

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:53 pm

Nice enough- nothing compared to the uniforms you see outside the states. Shame they can’t manage professional grooming standards seen elsewhere in hospitality and food handling roles. Long hair down wouldn’t be acceptable at a restaurant due to food hygiene yet US3 crew seem to get away with it.

N766UA

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:54 pm

Well that’s a big step backwards.

That generic name badge tacked on to the pilot’s blazer is pretty classless, too...

slider

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 pm

Pretty MEH.

N505fx

Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:57 pm

One of the bigger benefits is that AA will be strictly enforcing appearance and uniform standards now...gone will be the sloppy mix and match, the lanyards with pins all over them that looked like they worked at TGI Fridays, and grooming standards are going to be enforced...finally.

OB1504

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:02 pm

I honestly didn’t even notice that the uniforms changed. I noticed a bunch of coworkers and friends talking about it but the uniform looks just as bland and generic as it did before. I’m just glad this one won’t physically harm the employees.

usa330300

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:25 pm

chepos wrote:
Surprised this has not been posted here yet (since most things AA create quite the stir around here). New AA uniform for front line employees launches today. Can’t for the life of me figure out how to post a picture here. For those of you instagramers, aastews or aanewblue will show you pictures of flight attendants working flights with the new uniforms today. Nice to see the toxic grey leave and everyone finally looking the same. SYD AA72 had the honor of being the first complete crew to wear it.

Very nice and big improvement!

shamrock350

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:07 pm

If you told me this was the American uniform from 1999, I’d believe you. It’s bland and dated but inoffensive.

cirrusdragoon

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:14 pm

N505fx wrote:
One of the bigger benefits is that AA will be strictly enforcing appearance and uniform standards now...gone will be the sloppy mix and match, the lanyards with pins all over them that looked like they worked at TGI Fridays, and grooming standards are going to be enforced...finally.

time will tell. Hopefully yes , but it is America after all , let us see if AA can pull off improving grooming standards and enforcing them.

phlswaflyer

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:35 pm

Its really amazing how people are so against it...too much time on your hands.

It's a NEW uniform. It's nice, fresh and sharp. I noticed it early today in my flight and good for them. The flight attendants were smiling and were proud of it. Jeez..move on.

The only person upset is Parker and Isom because they had to spend money.

cirrusdragoon

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:37 pm

phlswaflyer wrote:

It's a NEW uniform. It's nice, fresh and sharp. I noticed it early today in my flight and good for them. The flight attendants were smiling and were proud of it. Jeez..move on.

the shirts look like they belong in the countryside rodeo. what springs to mind is country fried chicken , wild cowboy west.

LawAndOrder

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:40 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
phlswaflyer wrote:

Isn’t the point of a forum to discuss topics? They made a big fuss, we are responding. It’s not bad it’s just underwhelming especially for three years of work. Can we get some modern aged glamour. This makes me excited to see the new UA uniform they have started wear testing.

alfa164

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:03 am

airtran737 wrote:
Funny that they put so much time and effort into running away from Twin Hill and over to Lands End for the f/a’s, customer service and others....

Didn't Lands End also make the Delta uniforms - the ones some f/a's said were making them sick?
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Insertnamehere

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:21 am

Generic and uninspiring, much like the corporate strategy of American Airlines at this point.

UA444

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:01 am

Yes they are clothing so nobody is naked. That’s all there is to say.

D L X

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:03 am

I’m a fan of AA....

But those DL unis are still tops.

delimit

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:17 am

alfa164 wrote:
airtran737 wrote:
Funny that they put so much time and effort into running away from Twin Hill and over to Lands End for the f/a’s, customer service and others....

Didn't Lands End also make the Delta uniforms - the ones some f/a's said were making them sick?

Yep.

Bland, but better than what they are replacing by far.

UALFAson

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:26 am

N505fx wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm glad AA is at least aware of the issue. Things have really gotten out of control lately with anything goes apparel with flight attendants, including (branded) US Airways uniform pieces and just random grey and red clothing purchased from Macy's or wherever. I am tired of getting on AA planes and seeing 3 or 4 flight attendants who all look like they work for different airlines because none of their outfits come close to matching.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

chepos
Topic Author

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:35 am

UALFAson wrote:
N505fx wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm glad AA is at least aware of the issue. Things have really gotten out of control lately with anything goes apparel with flight attendants, including (branded) US Airways uniform pieces and just random grey and red clothing purchased from Macy's or wherever. I am tired of getting on AA planes and seeing 3 or 4 flight attendants who all look like they work for different airlines because none of their outfits come close to matching.

Yep, it was ridiculous what people would wear, anything would go and the company said that would come to an end once the new uniform was launched (today). The uniforms went through a multitude of toxicology and who knows what else testing so hopefully these won’t cause these reactions. At last people are happy to look like one cohesive group. And none of this multitude different pieces nonsense that has plagued various previous uniforms.

Fly the Flag!!!!

vhtje

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:58 am

I do not mind it. It’s very American - read: casual, relaxed, diverse - which I suppose is precisely the point. It is very different to the more formally tailored efforts of non-US airlines.

Do they differentiate domestic crew uniforms from international crew? And ground crew from cabin crew, etc? It is not clear from the Twitter video.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

bgm

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:25 am

aumaverick wrote:
prchan wrote:

Ooof, the cheese of the pose at the end of this video is awful :? :covereyes:

Yep, if they had posed with a scowl/RBF, then it would look more authentic for AA. :duck:

phlswaflyer

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:37 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
phlswaflyer wrote:

Isn’t the point of a forum to discuss topics? They made a big fuss, we are responding. It’s not bad it’s just underwhelming especially for three years of work. Can we get some modern aged glamour. This makes me excited to see the new UA uniform they have started wear testing.

Of course and I understand that. And I am responding that this is silly. I for one would be happy to hear from someone who was on the committee to design. But once again - they are happy so I am happy. They feel good and that's what matters.

kbmiflyer

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:49 pm

One small impact of new uniforms. The safety video that AA has had for the last 4 years will be replaced to reflect the new uniforms. No more "Hello Everyone, thank you for your attention, it is time to get you ready for takeoff".

Of course, as IFE slowly goes away, there will be fewer and fewer chances to see the video.

blooc350

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Is there a reason why U.S carriers lack any sense of fashion when it comes to their uniforms? Etihad, Alitalia, Air France, Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic can create a brand and image, why cant the U.S Carriers? Money? Union?

BN727227Ultra

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:15 pm

Maybe I'm a curmudgeon, but I've never picked my itinerary based on FA couture. Competence is nice, but my litmus test is that my flight is completed with the same amount of takeoffs and landings.

alasizon

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:16 pm

vhtje wrote:
I do not mind it. It’s very American - read: casual, relaxed, diverse - which I suppose is precisely the point. It is very different to the more formally tailored efforts of non-US airlines.

Do they differentiate domestic crew uniforms from international crew? And ground crew from cabin crew, etc? It is not clear from the Twitter video.

AA now does offer different uniforms for FAs vs CSAs. The TwinHill uniform was the same across the board. Now CSAs have a look, FAs have a look and Premium Services have a look.

One thing to note is that this is the first round of the uniform. There is plans to release a phase 2 next year and a phase 3 eventually. Phase 2 contains some more stylish elements and wear testers are/were testing pieces that contained a lot more red.

Having worked a day seeing the new uniform, despite it being more generic, every single person looks far better having a professional appearance and it makes it appear as if they are working for a higher class of airline compared to the old mish mash of uniforms.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

cirrusdragoon

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:54 pm

alasizon wrote:
vhtje wrote:

AA now does offer different uniforms for FAs vs CSAs. The TwinHill uniform was the same across the board. Now CSAs have a look, FAs have a look and Premium Services have a look.

One thing to note is that this is the first round of the uniform. There is plans to release a phase 2 next year and a phase 3 eventually. Phase 2 contains some more stylish elements and wear testers are/were testing pieces that contained a lot more red.

Having worked a day seeing the new uniform, despite it being more generic, every single person looks far better having a professional appearance and it makes it appear as if they are working for a higher class of airline compared to the old mish mash of uniforms.

fair enough

paulsaz

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:52 pm

The men's customer service uniform is very bland, the tie should have been red and blue.
All opinions are my own and do not reflect on my employer in any way.

DocLightning

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:59 pm

I don't think that AA's branding people get it. When a KLM crew walks past you in the airport, you recognize "KLM" and KLM gets some rent-free space in your head. When an SQ or EK crew walks by, same thing. Even DL now has a distinctive uniform. The point of branding is to put your brand in the heads of onlookers (potential customers) and remind them that you exist. This is why planes have liveries, why most billboards for Coca-Cola just have the corporate logo (probably the world's single most effective brand), why Starbucks has their brand on their cups.

But when an AA crew in this uniform walks by, I will have no idea what airline it is. That's a real branding miss for AA.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

NYCAAer

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:47 pm

The tailoring of the new uniforms is the exact same cut as the previous Twin Hill uniforms. The color had to be changed to insure that no one would be wearing the old uniform. Having flown my first long haul leg in the new uniform, I find the fabric is much softer and more comfortable. We had a choice of traditional wool blend or synthetic fabrics, I chose the wool blend because I felt it would breathe better in the summer, and it might hold its shape a little better. I prefer to be in blue, the grey was a bit drab after a while, and the cherry red and blue ties and pocket square adds a pop of color to it. I would have preferred no stripes on the sleeves of the F/A uniform, but I think they wanted to distinguish us from the ground staff. It seems to be helping morale a bit, much needed since Parker has ruined the hard and soft product.

Last I heard, a new dress will be introduced next year for female F/As, in blue with a touch of red, and the predominately red dresses got the axe. Just as well- Delta was known for its iconic red Richard Tyler dress, and Virgin still has the bright red Vivienne Westwood uniforms.

Flight attendants and agents who don’t show up for work “in regulation” are going to be sent home with no pay. Extra standby flight attendants are available at each crew base to replace the ones sent home. Hopefully this will teach them a lesson and they’ll learn how to dress for work in a professional manner.

global1

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:55 pm

Congratulations on your new uniform.

My experience with uniform crack downs, and I support them 100%, is that crew member compliance will improve over the short term. However, unless management is willing to go the distance and peer pressure keeps people in line, things slide. They may check in with their hair up, but as soon as they leave the hair comes down, the unauthorized shoes come on, etc...

It’s very frustrating to those of us that follow standards.
It requires nothing short of a change in culture.

OB1504

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:00 pm

UALFAson wrote:
N505fx wrote:

From what I’ve been told (and another poster just confirmed), AA is not allowing FAs to fly if they’re not in proper uniform and standbys are waiting all across the network to replace the ones sent home. They’re not even making it through the checkpoint.

global1

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:04 pm

Good.
When Delta rights the ship with a new uniform, I hope they do the same.
It’s not fair and demoralizing to those who proudly adhere to standards.

babastud

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:13 pm

I hope AA did not cheap out on these and go with them covered in Flame Retardant chemicals, which is what makes one sick and does many other bad things to the body like infertility.

Simple fix, a high quality thin wool is flame retardant but cost 3x price.

Curious to see what there made from?

usflyer msp

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:33 pm

They pretty much look just like the old US uniforms, just in a darker blue.

usflyer msp

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:39 pm

[code][/code]
blooc350 wrote:
Is there a reason why U.S carriers lack any sense of fashion when it comes to their uniforms? Etihad, Alitalia, Air France, Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic can create a brand and image, why cant the U.S Carriers? Money? Union?

Americans are fat and the US is a big country so the uniform has to flatter many different body types and be able to travel across many different climates.

Foreign carriers are allowed to have strict height and weight standards that would never make it through the US' anti-discrimination laws (and thankfully so)...

chepos
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:46 am

usflyer msp wrote:
They pretty much look just like the old US uniforms, just in a darker blue.

The old US uniform was much more informal, had too many styles. Heck they had polos for ground crew and God knows how many ties, scarves and different shirts.

Fly the Flag!!!!

alasizon

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:56 am

OB1504 wrote:
From what I’ve been told (and another poster just confirmed), AA is not allowing FAs to fly if they’re not in proper uniform and standbys are waiting all across the network to replace the ones sent home. They’re not even making it through the checkpoint.

Can confirm that they are out there at the checkpoints (literally right at KCM). Yesterday they even pulled some regional FAs to the side and were questioning them as to why they weren't in uniform.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent