Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Bamboo Airways Plans Munich to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:33 pm

Today, Bamboo Airways signed an MoU for nonstop service from Munich to both Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.

Both flights are expected to launch this summer with the 787-9

Hanoi to Munich is expected to operate once-weekly while Ho Chi Minh City will be twice-weekly.

https://vietnambiz.vn/bamboo-airways-ti ... 755608.htm

N14AZ

Re: Bamboo Airways Plans Munich to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:38 pm

Nice. Since VN has more or less a monopoly for VN-Germany they should be able to make some money with these routes.

Scotron12

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:27 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Nice. Since VN has more or less a monopoly for VN-Germany they should be able to make some money with these routes.

If they survive that long! Im still a bit dubious on their financials. They have already suspended S.Korea which was a big market for them. Im sure it won't be back to normal for a while.

A330Inter

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:56 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

If they survive that long! Im still a bit dubious on their financials. They have already suspended S.Korea which was a big market for them. Im sure it won't be back to normal for a while.

Given the Coronavirus outbreak, suspending Korea makes total sense, it will be back online in no-time.

The MUC service would complement well with PRG, I think they should look at a partner in Europe to feed their routes though, it will not be easy to make a name for themselves in the European market, the vietnamese diaspora won't be enough to sustain the EU network

filipinoavgeek

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:14 am

Bamboo hasn't even been around for a year and they already have way too big plans and want to expand with so many planes. That honestly and frankly sounds like a recipe for disaster, all the more so given that Bamboo is a FSC and not an LCC. If they were a more established name like VN or even VietJet at this point, that rapid expansion wouldn't be as worrying since they're already proven names.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bamboo is already bleeding money at this point and on the road to becoming the next Air Italy, the parallels are actually there.

Antaras

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:41 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Bamboo hasn't even been around for a year and they already have way too big plans and want to expand with so many planes. That honestly and frankly sounds like a recipe for disaster, all the more so given that Bamboo is a FSC and not an LCC. If they were a more established name like VN or even VietJet at this point, that rapid expansion wouldn't be as worrying since they're already proven names.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bamboo is already bleeding money at this point and on the road to becoming the next Air Italy, the parallels are actually there.

Bamboo never works as a LCC. Their aircraft are all configured with C-seat [also with W on 789s, Bamboo planned to put F on the future 789s or even the considered-777X, too]. They offer meals and drinks on their flight. Besides that, they planned to get Skytrac 5-star certification in the next few years.

However, as Bamboo is asking CAAV to remove its fleet size limitation, which can save them from over-expansion. Operating 100 airframes, including dozens of widebodies is not a good growth plan. However, I feel lucky for QH and even FLC-its parents group - when QH finally made some profit as well as get a remarkable proportion in Vietnam's aviation market.

With me, launching EU services is a good way for QH to expand its network, as well as testing its profitability on long-haul routes. However, its existence in East Asia as well as SEA is not very strong. With East Asia region, QH has flights to South Korea, Japan and Taiwan but those markets are bleeding due to Covid-19. With SEA region, Bamboo even doesn't have any flight here despite a fact that Vietnam is a SEA country. QH should bring its A320s and A321s to countries such as Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia or Malaysia first.

Hope that Bamboo won't become the next WowAir or Air Italy: died because of over-expansion.
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

potter787

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:02 pm

Bamboo seems to expand too fast and burn alot of cash through their expansion. Heard that they planned to launch KIX and MEL as well but quite surprised that MUC will be launched first.
I am skeptical about them being profitable, Vietnam's market has been suffering from overcapacity for a couple of years. I believe most "profit" come from sale and leaseback transactions not their operations.

Antaras

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:01 pm

potter787 wrote:
Bamboo seems to expand too fast and burn alot of cash through their expansion. Heard that they planned to launch KIX and MEL as well but quite surprised that MUC will be launched first.
I am skeptical about them being profitable, Vietnam's market has been suffering from overcapacity for a couple of years. I believe most "profit" come from sale and leaseback transactions not their operations.

As QH doesn't receive anything from their direct orders (10 789s with Boe), I don't think that QH can get anything from that SnLB game.

However, its service is so damn good. I flew with Bamboo twice. Those ex-Primera A321neos were fresh and new, the seats seem acceptable with Asians (at that time QH's A321s were configured C8Y198). The foods were perfect, crews were cute and friendly. I was also impressed by Bamboo's on-time performance (OTP) and its tickets' price. Bamboo has the highest OTP rate of all Vietnamese carriers, about ~93% (quite impressive with a 25-aircraft carrier). About the price, the tickets cost 2/3 as comparisons to QH's main competitor - Vietnam Airlines. There is no big difference between VN's and QH's quality of service, and QH is threatening VN by its cheap tickets.
On the other hand, one of its main weaknesses is entertainment. No IFE-screens installed on their A320 family-aircraft (I heard that Bamboo installed W-IFE on their aircraft [using your devices accessing the library through internal wifi], but not enough to satisfy you). Even the 789s, the IFEs were only enabled on international flights, and LOL the 789s will only serve SGN-HAN-PQC [all domestic flights] until the end of this month when it launches PRG service.

Hope that Bamboo will success. Despite its awesome service, I am worried about its development plans. 50 aircraft this year; $5bn 777X order (alongside the 10 more 789 currently on order); firming up the MoU of 50 A321neo [and 20 more 789, holy cow]; launching PRG, MUC, KIX, MEL and especially LAX or SFO in mid-2021.
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

debonair

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:52 pm

Antaras wrote:
On the other hand, one of its main weaknesses is entertainment. No IFE-screens installed on their A320 family-aircraft (I heard that Bamboo installed W-IFE on their aircraft [using your devices accessing the library through internal wifi], but not enough to satisfy you).

Some of the wet-leased a/c Bamboo is flying does have IFE and is used well, e.g. for the safety video.

In my own opinion, given the large Vietnamese diaspora in Eastern Germany, especially in and around Berlin, I can't understand why Berlin was not chosen. And "Worldwide by easyjet" would be a fantastic feeder for this airline in Berlin: https://worldwide.easyjet.com/

Antaras

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:20 am

debonair wrote:
In my own opinion, given the large Vietnamese diaspora in Eastern Germany, especially in and around Berlin, I can't understand why Berlin was not chosen. And "Worldwide by easyjet" would be a fantastic feeder for this airline in Berlin: https://worldwide.easyjet.com/

I don't understand why Berlin isn't chosen. Vietnam Airlines chooses FRA, Bamboo chooses MUC, somehow the capital of Germany is adopted by Vietnamese carriers.
Edit signature

oceanvikram

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:05 am

Antaras wrote:
debonair wrote:

I don't understand why Berlin isn't chosen. Vietnam Airlines chooses FRA, Bamboo chooses MUC, somehow the capital of Germany is adopted by Vietnamese carriers.

Have a think about it … is a widebody aircraft flying longhaul with full service and full main cabin during the holiday periods only, be profitable?

That is why many airlines don’t fly destinations based on Visitors Friends Relatives (VFR) market only.
My comments are based as an aviation enthusiast first, then as a passenger who paid for his own ticket, after that a passenger on a business trip and finally an armchair CEO.

potter787

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:03 pm

Antaras wrote:

However, its service is so damn good. I flew with Bamboo twice.

Hope that Bamboo will success. Despite its awesome service, I am worried about its development plans. 50 aircraft this year; $5bn 777X order (alongside the 10 more 789 currently on order); firming up the MoU of 50 A321neo [and 20 more 789, holy cow]; launching PRG, MUC, KIX, MEL and especially LAX or SFO in mid-2021.

Their service is awesome and their crew training is so much better than VN.

I have the same worries about their growth plan. While it's easy to get market share in domestic where their brand name is well known. International is a totally different game, especially for a young airline with no partners.

TWA302

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:28 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

This isn't a financial reaction at all. VN and T'way have suspended these routes as well.
https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2020/02/25/all-flights-from-vietnam-to-south-korea-suspended-amid-covid-19-fears

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos