Page 1 of 1

NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:56 pm
by msycajun
This morning Spirit announced MSY-SAP service Tu/Th/Su and CUN Mo/We/Fr/Su starting June 10/11. I know the local Honduran and business community has been working on restoring SAP service for a long time, so it's great to see it come to fruition. With these routes, Spirit will serve 22 destinations with approximately 23 daily departures this summer.

Press Release:
http://ir.spirit.com/file/Index?KeyFile=403089549

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm
by NolaMD88fan
Great to have a non-stop option to SAP back.

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:57 pm
by ScottB
msycajun wrote:
This morning Spirit announced MSY-SAP service Tu/Th/Su


They'll probably make far more money from the bag fees than they will the fares.

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:08 pm
by FSDan
Cool add! NK seems as good an airline as any to run MSY-SAP.

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:51 pm
by SunsetLimited
Two nice adds for the airport!

It’ll be the first scheduled, non charter service to SAP since 2005.

Also, it’ll be the most scheduled service to CUN by one airline since LR left in the early 00’s

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:27 pm
by 2travel2know2
It was about time for MSY-SAP, TACA left the route after Katrina, AV had no desire to re-start it even when they had P2P flights between SAP and The States and nowadays, AV won't even fly SAL-MSY.
Kudos to SAP airport and NK. That route surely would demand extra frequencies quite soon.
Would NK operate @ SAP in the middle of the night or day-time?

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 pm
by LAXdude1023
Here are the largest foreign born Hondurans communities in the US:

1. NYC: 113,413 people
2. Miami: 105,002
3. Houston: 102,442
4. DC: 53,754 people
5. Dallas: 39,858 people
6. Los Angeles: 37,080 people
7. New Orleans: 21,413 people
8. Atlanta: 15,124 people
9. Charlotte: 11,887 people
10. Chicago: 10,438 people
11. Boston: 10,133 people
12. Austin: 8221 people
13. Riverside, CA: 7555 people
14. Baltimore: 7388 people
15. Orlando: 7008 people

From 2013-2018, here were the fastest growing Hondurans communities in the US:
Houston: 37,905
Washington DC: 25,078
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 18,069
Dallas/Fort Worth: 15,944
New Orleans: 7,742
Tampa: 6,634
New York: 6,393
Philadelphia: -1,104
Atlanta: -1,892
Chicago: -2,143
Baltimore: -3,565
Los Angeles: -11,354

Based on this, NK is really the only carrier to make this work. Its a VFR market with few business ties and MSY isnt a hub for anyone.

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:36 am
by LightChop2Chop
SAP MSY is a good market and I think NK even has a credit card loyalty program at the SAP end

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:30 am
by msycajun
2travel2know2 wrote:
It was about time for MSY-SAP, TACA left the route after Katrina, AV had no desire to re-start it even when they had P2P flights between SAP and The States and nowadays, AV won't even fly SAL-MSY.
Kudos to SAP airport and NK. That route surely would demand extra frequencies quite soon.
Would NK operate @ SAP in the middle of the night or day-time?


Both of the routes have similar timings: CUN departs at 11, Sap at 10 and both arrive around 4pm, so pretty convenient and not bad for connections. Looking at the summer schedule, it should be possible to do EWR/FLL-MSY-SAP; FLL/EWR/DFW/TPA-MSY-CUN; as well as CUN/SAP-MSY-TPA/DFW/FLL/ORD/LAX/LAS/EWR/DTW. That's convenient because FLL-SAP-FLL is a late night/red eye while IAH-SAP is on different days than MSY-SAP.

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:51 am
by SJOtoLIR
Sahsa from Honduras connected [Tegucigalpa - San Pedro Sula] and New Orleans since the 60s, if I remember correctly.
TACA also operated isolated charter flights between MSY and SAP almost 12 years ago.

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:50 am
by SurfandSnow
Wow! Seems like NK has been doing quite well at MSY - IIRC, they only began flying there a few years ago! It's so nice to see that beautiful new terminal being put to good use.

Re: NK Announces MSY-SAP/CUN

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:13 am
by LAX772LR
SJOtoLIR wrote:
Sahsa from Honduras connected [Tegucigalpa - San Pedro Sula] and New Orleans since the 60s, if I remember correctly.
TACA also operated isolated charter flights between MSY and SAP almost 12 years ago.

SAHSA hasn't existed for a quarter century, and TACA's decades of flights weren't charters.



SurfandSnow wrote:
Wow! Seems like NK has been doing quite well at MSY

What's cool is that they're reaching critical mass to start offering connections, and the new terminal layout allows them to easily do so, even international-to-domestic.


SurfandSnow wrote:
IIRC, they only began flying there a few years ago!

yeah, 2013


SurfandSnow wrote:
It's so nice to see that beautiful new terminal being put to good use.

Amen.