Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scbriml

Re: CLT big announcement Tuesday March 3

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:48 pm

themon wrote:
Announcement of a record 50.2 Million passengers at CLT airport. Move along.

And just like the vast majority of a.net "Big announcement..." threads, it ends up duller than the dullest thing they make at the factory where they make very dull things. :roll:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

FSDan

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:54 pm

spinotter wrote:
But seriously, isn't BLR a strange choice of AA's first major international destination from SEA? What would an equivalent be for DL at PHL, for example. PHL-BLR? Or to be creative, PHL-MAA? Off the wall PHL-ICN? Surprise PHL-ADD? What is going on in the minds of these route planners?

This is getting into off-topic territory, but since it's more interesting than the announcement from CLT, I'll indulge...

I don't think AA picked SEA as an international gateway and only then decided to fly to BLR... Rather, I think they looked at BLR as an untapped market with lots of demand to the U.S., and then determined that SEA made the most sense as a gateway due to aircraft range, combined with a decent-sized local market and the potential to get feed from AS.

The best analog I can think of to AA's SEA-BLR would be if DL really wanted to fly to CNF with a 757, and decided to fly it from MIA instead of ATL because of aircraft range combined with the size of the local market. DL's not going to start long haul service from CLT or PHL just to retaliate unless those markets are already in their top few potential profitable targets from LHR/CDG/AMS.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

PacoMartin

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:48 pm

themon wrote:

Orlando International Airport Ends 2019 With Record 50.6 Million Passengers. So did CLT move in the rankings at all? I don't think so.

"Preliminary world airport traffic rankings released". ACI World. 13 March 2019.
1. United States Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport Atlanta, Georgia United States ATL/KATL 107,394,029
4. United States Los Angeles International Airport Los Angeles, California United States LAX/KLAX 87,534,384
6. United States O'Hare International Airport Chicago, Illinois United States ORD/KORD 83,339,186
15. United States Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas United States DFW/KDFW 69,112,607
20. United States Denver International Airport Denver, Colorado United States DEN/KDEN 64,494,613
22. United States John F. Kennedy International Airport Queens, New York, New York United States JFK/KJFK 61,909,148
25. United States San Francisco International Airport San Mateo County, California United States SFO/KSFO 57,793,313
29. United States Seattle-Tacoma International Airport SeaTac, Washington United States SEA/KSEA 49,849,520
30. United States McCarran International Airport Las Vegas, Nevada United States LAS/KLAS 49,716,584
34. United States Orlando International Airport Orlando, Florida United States MCO/KMCO 47,696,627
37. United States Charlotte Douglas International Airport Charlotte, North Carolina United States CLT/KCLT 46,444,380

F27500

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:36 am

CanadianRedneck wrote:
F27500 wrote:
2x a week Allegiant to Punta Gorda.

Allegiant flies out of USA, not CLT. This is definitely going to be infrastructure related or in regards to the grants at Athens, GA and Columbia, MO.

I know . . i was making a joke.

MIflyer12

Re: CLT announces record traffic numbers

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Since the end of the recession in 2009, total U.S. air passenger numbers have been higher year after year. It would be odd if big airports hadn't been setting records.

https://www.bts.dot.gov/newsroom/2018-t ... us-flights

'Yeh, still not even half the size of ATL!' just lacks sufficient boosterism.

steeler83

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:44 pm

polywad6963 wrote:
I'll put a shilling on CLT-Ho Chi Minh. :)

Ooooh, that would fulfill a prophecy from Back to the Future II... sort of... When Marty McFly Jr came in and turned on all those channels, a commercial advertising USAir service to Vietnam appeared on the Weather Channel...

Back to this...

"Big announcement regarding CLT!!!"
Me: Ok...
"CLT posts all-time high traffic numbers!!!
Me: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

So much for additional international routes or key domestic routes being added... at least for now anyway...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

NiMar

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:51 pm

I thought DFW reported 75 million.... Ah your list is a year old.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:30 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
themon wrote:

Orlando International Airport Ends 2019 With Record 50.6 Million Passengers. So did CLT move in the rankings at all? I don't think so.

Quite a few North American airports passed 50 million pax in 2019. YYZ also, with 50.5 milion. SEA and LAS as well, with 51.8 million and 51.5 million, respectively.

NiMar wrote:
I thought DFW reported 75 million.... Ah your list is a year old.

Yeah, those are 2018 numbers.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

RDUDDJI

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:29 pm

Kudos to CLT for hitting 50mil. That's an impressive milestone.

As far as hitting a record, well almost every passenger airport (at least in the U.S.) reported record numbers last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc. This year maybe notsomuch.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

PacoMartin

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:08 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
PacoMartin wrote:
themon wrote:

Quite a few North American airports passed 50 million pax in 2019. YYZ also, with 50.5 milion. SEA and LAS as well, with 51.8 million and 51.5 million, respectively.

In which case the rank order is completely unchanged. At least have the good sense to reserve calling it a big announcement if the rank order changes,

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport SeaTac, Washington SEA/KSEA 49,849,520
McCarran International Airport Las Vegas, Nevada LAS/KLAS 49,716,584
Orlando International Airport Orlando, Florida MCO/KMCO 47,696,627
Charlotte Douglas International Airport Charlotte, North Carolina CLT/KCLT 46,444,380

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos