Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Byrdluvs747
Topic Author
Posts: 2540
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:25 am

LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:17 am

Simple LAX question.

What is this hole that's been dug next to TBIT? I assumed it was related to the people mover between TBIT and the MFC but it seems too far north.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9464387 ... a=!3m1!1e3
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24734
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:34 am

Projects as part of the MSC - tunnels one for passengers, one for utility use. Also bag make up areas and bus port.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
SEAflyer97
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 9:10 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:38 am

Baggage sorting facility
 
Byrdluvs747
Topic Author
Posts: 2540
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:25 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:54 am

LAXintl wrote:
Projects as part of the MSC - tunnels one for passengers, one for utility use. Also bag make up areas and bus port.


SEAflyer97 wrote:
Baggage sorting facility


Oh ok. That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up LAXintl and SEAflyer.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.
 
Adipocere
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:35 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:57 am

Good to know. Would be radical if they were putting up carrier-like lifts to have an underground terminal and double up gate space.
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:07 am

It’s been a couple of years since I departed from TBIT. It’s a nice terminal. However the north end was quite drab.

In the google image, what is the aircraft on the taxiway to the left of Lamill Coffee? It’s length looks distorted, however the markings on the taxiway look undistorted.
 
FromCDGtoSYD
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:37 am

questions wrote:
In the google image, what is the aircraft on the taxiway to the left of Lamill Coffee? It’s length looks distorted, however the markings on the taxiway look undistorted.


A322
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:39 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
questions wrote:
In the google image, what is the aircraft on the taxiway to the left of Lamill Coffee? It’s length looks distorted, however the markings on the taxiway look undistorted.


A322


On second look...

Delta... 2L forward of the wing... 12 windows between 1L and 2L... winglets... I’m going with 752.

Also, zooming in, I can now see where the image skips and part of the aircraft is duplicated, therefore creating an elongated aircraft.
 
gregn21
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:19 am

questions wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
questions wrote:
In the google image, what is the aircraft on the taxiway to the left of Lamill Coffee? It’s length looks distorted, however the markings on the taxiway look undistorted.


A322


On second look...

Delta... 2L forward of the wing... 12 windows between 1L and 2L... winglets... I’m going with 752.

Also, zooming in, I can now see where the image skips and part of the aircraft is duplicated, therefore creating an elongated aircraft.


Nope it’s an Airbus
 
User avatar
AAlaxfan
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:45 am

questions wrote:
It’s been a couple of years since I departed from TBIT. It’s a nice terminal. However the north end was quite drab.

In the google image, what is the aircraft on the taxiway to the left of Lamill Coffee? It’s length looks distorted, however the markings on the taxiway look undistorted.

777 or 767
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:47 am

gregn21 wrote:
questions wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

A322


On second look...

Delta... 2L forward of the wing... 12 windows between 1L and 2L... winglets... I’m going with 752.

Also, zooming in, I can now see where the image skips and part of the aircraft is duplicated, therefore creating an elongated aircraft.


Nope it’s an Airbus


Upon further analysis, the cockpit windows suggest it is A321.

Interestingly, there are 12 windows between 1L and 2L on the 752 and 321, however on DL’s “Our Aircraft” page the 321 has 13 windows between 1L and 2L.
 
Ebmek
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:24 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:08 am

FlyThiz wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
ICBM Missle complex.


I am totally onboard with an ICBM complex of some sort.

In actuality, it’s a makeshift terminal that is attached to TBIT. I’ve been in there once or twice. There is I believe one gate attached. It’s been there for a number of years.


I have actually been wondering for years why that old portion of terminal was attached to the new TBIT. What is it for?
 
User avatar
AAlaxfan
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:35 am

questions wrote:
gregn21 wrote:
questions wrote:

On second look...

Delta... 2L forward of the wing... 12 windows between 1L and 2L... winglets... I’m going with 752.

Also, zooming in, I can now see where the image skips and part of the aircraft is duplicated, therefore creating an elongated aircraft.


Nope it’s an Airbus


Upon further analysis, the cockpit windows suggest it is A321.

Interestingly, there are 12 windows between 1L and 2L on the 752 and 321, however on DL’s “Our Aircraft” page the 321 has 13 windows between 1L and 2L.

Now that I have the right aircraft, it’s an A321 distorted by it’s motion while the satellite was taking the picture. You can see the tail of the aircraft just to the left of the gate 134 apron marking.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.
 
gregn21
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:59 am

Ebmek wrote:
I have actually been wondering for years why that old portion of terminal was attached to the new TBIT. What is it for?


All of the concourses on the north side were supposed to be shortened at one point to allow room for the north runways to be spread apart. That never happened and likely never will. For now, the bus gates and exterior baggage handling facility adjacent to the old portion of the terminal are necessary to support the remote gates. The remote gates will (fingers crossed) become obsolete once MSC, T0, and T9 are complete, finally allowing for the full build out of TBIT north. For now, the small old portion of the terminal is actually quite functional, being the only segment of the facility optimized for smaller aircraft.
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:23 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Projects as part of the MSC - tunnels one for passengers, one for utility use. Also bag make up areas and bus port.


These tunnels have been in the works for at least two years, no? I assume the two gates (131 and 132?) that have been out of commission will finally be back in action sometime this summer?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
NiMar
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:56 pm

Is there a tunnel being built from the Delta Terminals to the TBIT and on to the MSC?
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:56 pm

NiMar wrote:
Is there a tunnel being built from the Delta Terminals to the TBIT and on to the MSC?


An above-ground connector will be built in a few years as part of DL's Sky Way project, similar to what AA has between T4 and TBIT.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:22 pm

FSDan wrote:
NiMar wrote:
Is there a tunnel being built from the Delta Terminals to the TBIT and on to the MSC?


An above-ground connector will be built in a few years as part of DL's Sky Way project, similar to what AA has between T4 and TBIT.

After the connector is built, will Gate 131 still be able to handle widebodies? That gate is already close to the headhouse.
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:27 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
FSDan wrote:
NiMar wrote:
Is there a tunnel being built from the Delta Terminals to the TBIT and on to the MSC?


An above-ground connector will be built in a few years as part of DL's Sky Way project, similar to what AA has between T4 and TBIT.

After the connector is built, will Gate 131 still be able to handle widebodies? That gate is already close to the headhouse.


Good question. I'm not sure if any actual architectural plans have been released for the connector yet. I suppose depending on where it enters the terminal building, it could affect gate 131.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
NiMar
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:13 pm

Ah, ok. Because in the satellite view provided above it looks like a tunnel is being built just north of the TBIT headhouse that goes straight into T3 and all the way out to the MSC. That could give Delta some nice gate access.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Does the MSC have its own FIS or is there a seperate tunnel for arrivals?
 
NiMar
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:52 pm

My understanding is that there will be a separated tunnel for international arrivals to access the facility in TBIT.
 
gmcc
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:13 pm

In related MSC news latest BOAC agenda has Air France looking to sign a lease for a 11500 sq ft lounge in the MSC and to operate flights out of the MSC
 
ldvaviation
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:28 pm

NiMar wrote:
Ah, ok. Because in the satellite view provided above it looks like a tunnel is being built just north of the TBIT headhouse that goes straight into T3 and all the way out to the MSC. That could give Delta some nice gate access.


What you see there is the "Far East Tunnel." It is a tunnel for bags, not passengers. It ends just west of the taxiway between TBIT and T3.

See page 11 of the most recent project update, https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.ph ... a_id=40034
 
DTWLAX
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:07 am

gmcc wrote:
In related MSC news latest BOAC agenda has Air France looking to sign a lease for a 11500 sq ft lounge in the MSC and to operate flights out of the MSC

With KLM retiring the 747 and AF not planning to fly the A380 for too long, we may see additional flights to AMS and CDG year long by AF/KLM. So probably makes sense to build a lounge considering the KE lounge at TBIT is too small.
 
cooley21
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:41 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:52 am

Not sure if this is the correct spot, but found some additional information regarding the operation of the MSC

https://6ed98d40-571e-436b-afa1-60be3ad ... 574d23.pdf

https://6ed98d40-571e-436b-afa1-60be3ad ... 734546.pdf
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:46 am

cooley21 wrote:
Not sure if this is the correct spot, but found some additional information regarding the operation of the MSC

https://6ed98d40-571e-436b-afa1-60be3ad ... 574d23.pdf

https://6ed98d40-571e-436b-afa1-60be3ad ... 734546.pdf


Thanks for the info! Super interesting! It's cool to see the various circulation patterns mapped out.

It looks like the previous publication that mentioned 15 gates wasn't wrong, with 1 of the 2 ADG-VI and 2 of the 10 ADG-V gates each being able to be split into two ADG-III gates.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
MrPeanut
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:42 pm

Have they announced which airlines will operate out of the MSC yet?
 
rjbesikof
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:10 pm

SEAflyer97 wrote:
Baggage sorting facility


What is the purpose of the baggage building in front of the bus gates in TBIT?
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:23 pm

Do 757s ever operate out of the International Terminal?
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3628
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:14 am

Ebmek wrote:
FlyThiz wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
ICBM Missle complex.


I am totally onboard with an ICBM complex of some sort.

In actuality, it’s a makeshift terminal that is attached to TBIT. I’ve been in there once or twice. There is I believe one gate attached. It’s been there for a number of years.


I have actually been wondering for years why that old portion of terminal was attached to the new TBIT. What is it for?


To make Delta happy
 
ldvaviation
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:41 am

rjbesikof wrote:
SEAflyer97 wrote:
Baggage sorting facility


What is the purpose of the baggage building in front of the bus gates in TBIT?


Baggage storage.
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:22 am

rbavfan wrote:
Ebmek wrote:
FlyThiz wrote:

I am totally onboard with an ICBM complex of some sort.

In actuality, it’s a makeshift terminal that is attached to TBIT. I’ve been in there once or twice. There is I believe one gate attached. It’s been there for a number of years.


I have actually been wondering for years why that old portion of terminal was attached to the new TBIT. What is it for?


To make Delta happy


Why would DL be happy about that? I would think they would prefer to have use of more modern terminal facilities than that area of TBIT.
 
rjbesikof
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:37 am

FSDan wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Projects as part of the MSC - tunnels one for passengers, one for utility use. Also bag make up areas and bus port.


These tunnels have been in the works for at least two years, no? I assume the two gates (131 and 132?) that have been out of commission will finally be back in action sometime this summer?


Per this website, 134 will be unavailable soon. Does anyone know why?

https://www.lawa.org/en/news-releases/2 ... elease-017
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:42 am

questions wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
Ebmek wrote:

I have actually been wondering for years why that old portion of terminal was attached to the new TBIT. What is it for?


To make Delta happy


Why would DL be happy about that? I would think they would prefer to have use of more modern terminal facilities than that area of TBIT.

They left the old section of the original TBIT because they plan on demolishing it later on when they separate the northern runways. There is no point in extending the new concourse all the way north if there is a chance that a large section of it will have to be demolished in 25 years. The old concourse seems to work fine for three gates.
 
alasizon
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:44 am

rjbesikof wrote:
FSDan wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Projects as part of the MSC - tunnels one for passengers, one for utility use. Also bag make up areas and bus port.


These tunnels have been in the works for at least two years, no? I assume the two gates (131 and 132?) that have been out of commission will finally be back in action sometime this summer?


Per this website, 134 will be unavailable soon. Does anyone know why?

https://www.lawa.org/en/news-releases/2 ... elease-017


Likely in order to rip up the concrete and do the work for the early bag storage system. The tunnels run underneath 132 and 134.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
gregn21
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:51 am

rjbesikof wrote:
What is the purpose of the baggage building in front of the bus gates in TBIT?


I’m not entirely sure but I think it’s primarily used to process baggage for ops at the remote gates. That should make it relatively unnecessary and hopefully obsolete once the MSC and T0/T9 projects are complete. Again, I’m not 100% sure about this, the building might have some functionality beyond this. I’ve also heard rumblings from LAWA brass that the bus facility at TBIT north and the adjacent building you are talking about could be moved to a site just west of MSC to allow for the full completion/expansion of the TBIT concourse.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:58 am

When was the AA hangar south of the MSC built?
 
reltney
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:20 am

Been flying to LAX for 30+ years as a pilot......never heard of tbit or mwc..... is this an armchair pilot thing???
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...
 
alasizon
Posts: 2608
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: LAX: What is this?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:33 am

reltney wrote:
Been flying to LAX for 30+ years as a pilot......never heard of tbit or mwc..... is this an armchair pilot thing???


TBIT - Tom Bradley International Terminal
MSC - Midfield Satellite Concourse

Not sure how you haven't heard of TBIT; particularly since that is how the airport refers to it as well.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos