Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Topic Author
Posts: 2999
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:58 am

Should this be a positive ID it would not be absolutely killer for Boeing.

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/12 ... 93152?s=21
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:12 am

How does one visually identify a possible coronavirus infection, as opposed to a dozen other afflictions with the same symptoms?

Kind of bush league for them to tweet that out.
 
KFTG
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:47 am

Someone got the flu? Halt the global economy!
 
alasizon
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:24 am

We are going of an unsubstantiated tweet for a basic medical call at the factory? When I was there I saw no less than five medical emergencies in a four hour span.

Mind you, I see no actual impact to Boeing on this.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19279
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:41 am

Fire and police for someone who might have flu?

If it's Corona, then they've already been spreading it round the factory for the last two weeks.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
2175301
Posts: 1907
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:46 pm

A reality is that in the next 2-5 years virtually everyone on the planet will be exposed to Corona... Due to modern medicine and understanding, and the likelihood of an effective vaccine available in large quantities in about 2 years it will likely not be as deadly as the "1918" flue which killed an estimated 2.5-5% of the world population.

Realistic estimate of 1-2% of world population death over the next 2-5 years is likely. This will mainly be the elderly and people with poor health an immune systems.

So far in the USA the "normal" flue has killed an estimated 10,000 people by Feb 3 (see link below)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu ... virus.html

The Corona virus is unlikely to reach the death rate of the 1918 flue. But, virtually everyone will eventually be exposed. We might be able to delay that a bit... but not forever. Also, normal surgical type masks do not prevent you from getting it (or even reduce the likelihood by much) as the virus normally infects based on penitrating the skin of the body (hands being the most common transmission site).. They do lower the transmission rate from someone who is infected as your "sneeze" spreading your illness is reduced.

Plan accordingly

Have a great day,
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:59 pm

scbriml wrote:
Fire and police for someone who might have flu?

If it's Corona, then they've already been spreading it round the factory for the last two weeks.


Which makes self quarantine pointless. The whole frenzied containment hysteria should be stopped outside of following procedures we should already be doing. Maybe an extra 5 minutes between movies to spray the theater down with Lysol or something similar. The emphasis should be on treatment and getting diagnosed as soon as symptoms appear. Don't wait till day 3 of running fever and hacking. If we could wave a magic wand at test everyone at once, I imagine positives would come back in the 10s of thousands, maybe 100s. That would sure knock down the oft talked about death rate, but it is logistically impossible.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 9183
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:15 pm

2175301 wrote:
the virus normally infects based on penitrating the skin of the body (hands being the most common transmission site).


It's a respiratory virus. You inhale droplets. The problem with the regular surgical masks is that they don't get the smaller droplets and they are not airtight. Like you say, they can protect others from getting your droplets if you are wearing one, by reducing the spread of your droplets. The N95 ones do protect you against the virus, although that is being downplayed. Because most have an "outflow valve", they don't protect others from your droplets.

The thing with the hands is not that it penetrates the skin, but rather that you get it on your skin and then wipe your eye or pick your nose, and in goes the virus to your respiratory tract. Just like the flu or a cold. The cold virus is a coronavirus, and this behaves similarly and is transmitted similarly, but more potent.

I do think they will find that the Gilead drug is helpful, and I think that the HIV medication in combination with other drugs will turn out to help as well. In China, they're trying everything, and there will be at least anecdotal evidence of what works and what doesn't. The trials, run super-scientifically, will take longer for definitive proof.
 
Exeiowa
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:20 pm

The thing is being paranoid about it would actually make it less severe making it look like an over reaction. The irony....
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 10392
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:51 pm

2175301 wrote:
Realistic estimate of 1-2% of world population death over the next 2-5 years is likely. This will mainly be the elderly and people with poor health an immune systems.

So far in the USA the "normal" flue has killed an estimated 10,000 people by Feb 3 (see link below)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu ... virus.html
Have a great day,

One does have to wonder how the world continued to function in the light of the high annual death toll from the regular flu in all nations of the world.

One can understand why conspiracy theorist always show up with the bible verse about following the money.....
 
2175301
Posts: 1907
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:33 pm

Exeiowa wrote:
The thing is being paranoid about it would actually make it less severe making it look like an over reaction. The irony....


Except that being paranoid about it causes other problems with potentially worse overall effects.

The studies from Fukushima now indicate that far more harm (including health harm) was done by evacuating the population around the plant than if they had left them where they lived.

Have a great day,
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Remember when Swine Flu was supposed to decimate the world?
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:43 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Remember when Swine Flu was supposed to decimate the world?


From April 2009 to Feb 2010, 55 million Americans got it, 250,000 were hospitalized and over 10,000 died. We did not cancel March Madness, comic con, music festivals, drop our Disney plans, hole ourselves up in the house , so on and so forth. Oh and it was much worse on children and infants than this apparently is killing over a 1,000. Maybe because the world didn't base so much of it's revenue on clicks back then or that it was at slow as molasses on a Jan morning rise out of the Great Recession.
Last edited by WaywardMemphian on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
GSPSPOT
Posts: 2553
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:44 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:44 pm

The sooner it works thru the population the better, IMO. Then maybe things will settle down.
Great Lakes, great life.
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:46 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
Remember when Swine Flu was supposed to decimate the world?


From April 2009 to Feb 2010, 55 million Americans got it, 250,000 were hospitalized and over 10,000 died. We did not cancel March Madness, comic con, music festivals, drop our Disney plans, hole ourselves up in the house , so on and so forth. Oh and it was much worse on children and infants than this apparently is killing over a 1,000. Maybe because the world didn't base so much of it's revenue on clicks back then or that it was at slow as molasses on a Jan morning rise out of the Great Recession.


Also because it didn't start in a country in which the world relied so much on for manufacturing.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15765
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:47 pm

Chicken Little Syndrome is alive and well.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3629
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:47 pm

scbriml wrote:
Fire and police for someone who might have flu?

If it's Corona, then they've already been spreading it around the factory for the last two weeks.


Not if they came back from a trip yesterday. Most likely if it's a possible reported case then there would be some indication of prior exposure from a trip or a visit to that elderly home in Seattle. They would have to have something to key them in. Otherwise, it is a panicked employee who is spreading fear.
 
sxf24
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:48 pm

Boeing issued a statement to Seattle Times following the tweet that no employees have COVID. Of course, this could change. However, freaking out over “flu like symptoms” is not helpful.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19279
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:58 pm

sxf24 wrote:
Boeing issued a statement to Seattle Times following the tweet that no employees have COVID. Of course, this could change. However, freaking out over “flu like symptoms” is not helpful.


Wow, they tested every employee really quickly! :duck:

Yes, it will change and freaking out doesn't help. But hey, while I'm in Walmart I might as well stock up on stuff, you know. :wink2:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3629
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:20 pm

2175301 wrote:
A reality is that in the next 2-5 years virtually everyone on the planet will be exposed to Corona... Due to modern medicine and understanding, and the likelihood of an effective vaccine available in large quantities in about 2 years it will likely not be as deadly as the "1918" flue which killed an estimated 2.5-5% of the world population.

Realistic estimate of 1-2% of world population death over the next 2-5 years is likely. This will mainly be the elderly and people with poor health an immune systems.

So far in the USA the "normal" flue has killed an estimated 10,000 people by Feb 3 (see link below)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu ... virus.html

The Corona virus is unlikely to reach the death rate of the 1918 flue. But, virtually everyone will eventually be exposed. We might be able to delay that a bit... but not forever. Also, normal surgical type masks do not prevent you from getting it (or even reduce the likelihood by much) as the virus normally infects based on penitrating the skin of the body (hands being the most common transmission site).. They do lower the transmission rate from someone who is infected as your "sneeze" spreading your illness is reduced.

Plan accordingly

Have a great day,


The virus does not penetrate the skin. It gets inside after you touch someone or something with the virus on it and then touch your eyes or mouth with your infected hand. That's why washing hands, using Purell & keeping contact to min. reduces infection rate. I was a nurse for many years. Please don't spread bad info for viral protection.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3629
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:48 pm

wjcandee wrote:
2175301 wrote:
the virus normally infects based on penitrating the skin of the body (hands being the most common transmission site).


It's a respiratory virus. You inhale droplets. The problem with the regular surgical masks is that they don't get the smaller droplets and they are not airtight. Like you say, they can protect others from getting your droplets if you are wearing one, by reducing the spread of your droplets. The N95 ones do protect you against the virus, although that is being downplayed. Because most have an "outflow valve", they don't protect others from your droplets.

The thing with the hands is not that it penetrates the skin, but rather that you get it on your skin and then wipe your eye or pick your nose, and in goes the virus to your respiratory tract. Just like the flu or a cold. The cold virus is a coronavirus, and this behaves similarly and is transmitted similarly, but more potent.

I do think they will find that the Gilead drug is helpful, and I think that the HIV medication in combination with other drugs will turn out to help as well. In China, they're trying everything, and there will be at least anecdotal evidence of what works and what doesn't. The trials, run super-scientifically, will take longer for definitive proof.


The other problem with the surgical mask is if someone not wearing a mask sneezes and you walk through the spray is gets in your eyes, or on your hands. The result you are exposed. A mask does little to protect us from getting it but does help those already infected from spreading it as much.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3629
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:36 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
Remember when Swine Flu was supposed to decimate the world?


From April 2009 to Feb 2010, 55 million Americans got it, 250,000 were hospitalized and over 10,000 died. We did not cancel March Madness, comic con, music festivals, drop our Disney plans, hole ourselves up in the house , so on and so forth. Oh and it was much worse on children and infants than this apparently is killing over a 1,000. Maybe because the world didn't base so much of it's revenue on clicks back then or that it was at slow as molasses on a Jan morning rise out of the Great Recession.


April 2009 to Feb 2010 was flu. But the swine flue was in the 70's.

BTW: the fact we are stay at home & click each other via phone should help reduce the numbers, not increase it.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 4410
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:39 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
The sooner it works thru the population the better, IMO. Then maybe things will settle down.


This is about as wrong as one could get. The main strategy now is to slow the spread of the virus so that the medical system is overwhelmed by a spike in admissions and treatments. CDC etc are hoping for enough of a slowdown so that there will be a plateau of medical need, not a spike. In addition, in a couple months better treatment and drug tests finding what works may help. Also summer may slow down the infection rate, giving additional time.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
GSPSPOT
Posts: 2553
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:44 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:55 am

Most people who contract it exhibit mild or no overt symptoms.....??
Great Lakes, great life.
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:43 am

rbavfan wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
Remember when Swine Flu was supposed to decimate the world?


From April 2009 to Feb 2010, 55 million Americans got it, 250,000 were hospitalized and over 10,000 died. We did not cancel March Madness, comic con, music festivals, drop our Disney plans, hole ourselves up in the house , so on and so forth. Oh and it was much worse on children and infants than this apparently is killing over a 1,000. Maybe because the world didn't base so much of it's revenue on clicks back then or that it was at slow as molasses on a Jan morning rise out of the Great Recession.


April 2009 to Feb 2010 was flu. But the swine flue was in the 70's.

BTW: the fact we are stay at home & click each other via phone should help reduce the numbers, not increase it.


Swine Flu is the H1N1 strain, 2009 -2010 was H1N1
 
User avatar
Lingon
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:18 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:56 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
Remember when Swine Flu was supposed to decimate the world?


From April 2009 to Feb 2010, 55 million Americans got it, 250,000 were hospitalized and over 10,000 died. We did not cancel March Madness, comic con, music festivals, drop our Disney plans, hole ourselves up in the house , so on and so forth. Oh and it was much worse on children and infants than this apparently is killing over a 1,000. Maybe because the world didn't base so much of it's revenue on clicks back then or that it was at slow as molasses on a Jan morning rise out of the Great Recession.


If 55 million Americans would get COVID-19, maybe one million would die (last estimate I saw for mortality rate worldwide was 3%, but it depends on healtcare standards per country so it is hard to say). That's why this is taken more seriously than a seasonal flu or even the swine flu - it IS more serious. If it would turn out to be a bunch of COVID-19 infected people at Everett, I would guess it would be a noticeable problem for Boeing.
 
yabeweb
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:41 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:10 am

Lingon wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
Remember when Swine Flu was supposed to decimate the world?


From April 2009 to Feb 2010, 55 million Americans got it, 250,000 were hospitalized and over 10,000 died. We did not cancel March Madness, comic con, music festivals, drop our Disney plans, hole ourselves up in the house , so on and so forth. Oh and it was much worse on children and infants than this apparently is killing over a 1,000. Maybe because the world didn't base so much of it's revenue on clicks back then or that it was at slow as molasses on a Jan morning rise out of the Great Recession.


If 55 million Americans would get COVID-19, maybe one million would die (last estimate I saw for mortality rate worldwide was 3%, but it depends on healtcare standards per country so it is hard to say). That's why this is taken more seriously than a seasonal flu or even the swine flu - it IS more serious. If it would turn out to be a bunch of COVID-19 infected people at Everett, I would guess it would be a noticeable problem for Boeing.

The mortality rate is one data, the other is the average age of death.

In Italy, where the mortality rate seems huge, the average age of death is 81 years old, and 2 out of 3 have another serious health issue (most of them were diagnosed with cancer or cardiovascular diseases).

So even a simple hiccup could have killed most of those "3%", that goes to say, while mortality rate seems high, it should be put into perspective.

42.2% — death between 80 and 89 years old
32.4% — death between 70 and 79
14.1% — death above 90 years.
8.4% — death between 60 and 69
2.8% — death between 50 and 59

Totaling 99.9 % over 50, and in 2 thirds with other health issue.

5.5%at least one other health issue
18.3% two health issues

67.2% three or more health issues which where

74,6% had hypertension
70,4% cardiovascular issue
33,8% diabetes

It is nothing more than a serious flu, media went commando and hyped this thing for whatever reason.
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:49 am

Love the way people talk as if (perhaps) two per cent of the global population dying is no big thing. Or that we should all relax because as long as you're younger and have no existing conditions, you'll be fine. Quite apart from the fact that that's been proven wrong, I'd just suggest we pause and think about our parents and grandparents and how susceptible they might be. My prediction: people's tune will change really fast once their nearest and dearest are infected.Especially if they're in a younger age group.

And for those suggesting that the sooner it goes through the global population, the better: Let me see, 2% of 7 billion is 140 million dead. No problem - bring it on! No one will miss them.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
ehusmann
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:19 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:05 am

yabeweb wrote:
It is nothing more than a serious flu, media went commando and hyped this thing for whatever reason.

Only about 10 times worse if you accept a 1% mortality rate. The 2.5 - 3% range is a bit high due to many cases probably not reported. The seasonal flu is about 0.1%.

However, that's only part of the story. The other part is that the general population has no resistance to this new virus Which means a much larger part of the population is likely to get sick of it than with the seasonal flu. So that will increase the number of deaths, not the death rate.

And then, even more serious, no country has a health care system that is capable of handling a large part of the population being sick at the same time. The more people get sick, the more people will not be able to get the right treatment, which could increase the death rate.

The main thing to do now, is to slow the spread of the virus. It is virtually impossible to contain it anymore, but we can slow it. That will have two benefits. 1) not too many people will get sick at the same time. 2) some part of the population might only get it after a medicine or vaccine has been developed.
With that in mind, the really best thing is to take it seriously and indeed stay home, don't meet people, don't travel etc. That will slow the virus. Like China did, lock off complete cities. Almost impossible in the western world, but that really did help in China.
In any case, "lets all get it and get it over with" is definitely not the right way to go.
 
yabeweb
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:41 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:15 am

DavidByrne wrote:
Love the way people talk as if (perhaps) two per cent of the global population dying is no big thing. Or that we should all relax because as long as you're younger and have no existing conditions, you'll be fine. Quite apart from the fact that that's been proven wrong, I'd just suggest we pause and think about our parents and grandparents and how susceptible they might be. My prediction: people's tune will change really fast once their nearest and dearest are infected.Especially if they're in a younger age group.

And for those suggesting that the sooner it goes through the global population, the better: Let me see, 2% of 7 billion is 140 million dead. No problem - bring it on! No one will miss them.

Never said it's not important, but things are to be put in perspective.

A lot more people died of pneumonia in the same timeframe, you do not see any news about it .... are those that die of pneumonia less important? (there's one child that dies of pneumonia every 39 seconds, is that not a big thing?)

Thay is 47520 death of pneumonia on kids alone in 2020, the number are much higher than COVID-19, why you do not hear the media talk about that?

2 % dying is not a small thing (but again it's not 2% as you suggest there are cases not reported AND as said a lot of death had lots of other issue, even a hicup could have killed most of those, some had severe cancer), but in perspective, there are a lot more people dying for other things (that we have health care for) and yet media do not go ballistic on those.
Last edited by yabeweb on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
uta999
Posts: 936
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:10 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:22 am

Here is a useful UN chart of world births and deaths. Approximately 60 million die each year. That is already 1% of us. This is likely to increase as the world population continues to grow by a birth rate of 140+ million per year. An increase to 2% will in fact stop population growth. I will let you decide if that is a bad thing or not.

One can draw a conclusion that Nature will always find a way to reduce population growth. Be that famine, disease, earthquake, tsunami, CC and weather events. Even wars related to any of these.

https://ourworldindata.org/births-and-deaths
Your computer just got better
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:23 am

yabeweb wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
Love the way people talk as if (perhaps) two per cent of the global population dying is no big thing. Or that we should all relax because as long as you're younger and have no existing conditions, you'll be fine. Quite apart from the fact that that's been proven wrong, I'd just suggest we pause and think about our parents and grandparents and how susceptible they might be. My prediction: people's tune will change really fast once their nearest and dearest are infected.Especially if they're in a younger age group.

And for those suggesting that the sooner it goes through the global population, the better: Let me see, 2% of 7 billion is 140 million dead. No problem - bring it on! No one will miss them.

Never said it's not important, but things are to be put in perspective.

A lot more people died of pneumonia in the same timeframe, you do not see any news about it .... are those that die of pneumonia less important? (there's one child that dies of pneumonia every 39 seconds, is that not a big thing?)

2 % dying is not a small thing, but in perspective, there are a lot more people dying for other things (that we have health care for) and yet media do not go ballistic on those.

Yep, and given that it's nothing more than a serious flu, the media are spreading fake news. Wait - aren't they just reporting what WHO and most national health authorities are saying? Except, of course, the USA, where the virus will have little effect. I know this because Trump said so on TV.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
ehusmann
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:19 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:24 am

yabeweb wrote:
2 % dying is not a small thing, but in perspective, there are a lot more people dying for other things (that we have health care for) and yet media do not go ballistic on those.

You do realize that with 2% dying in a year, the average age would be 50!
No, not a lot more people are dying of other causes if indeed the majority of the world's population will get sick and indeed the death rate turns out to be 2%.
 
yabeweb
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:41 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:32 am

ehusmann wrote:
yabeweb wrote:
2 % dying is not a small thing, but in perspective, there are a lot more people dying for other things (that we have health care for) and yet media do not go ballistic on those.

You do realize that with 2% dying in a year, the average age would be 50!
No, not a lot more people are dying of other causes if indeed the majority of the world's population will get sick and indeed the death rate turns out to be 2%.

How about you worry for the both of us, as I am NOT going to get in this mania, not anymore scared at all about this flu than any other disease, as there's no reason to be .

Go nuts and follow the rigid health guidelines (clean hands .....really?' do not touch sick people .....really?), as I have been following those even before this media hype went on, it was common sense, now it is a rule, people with common sense do not have to change their habits.

Working in healthcare myself, and being around sick people all day long, I am not a little bit more scared today than I was last year (neither fo me nor for the people around me, they are safe), and you should not be either.
 
ehusmann
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:19 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:43 am

yabeweb wrote:
Working in healthcare myself, and being around sick people all day long, I am not a little bit more scared today than I was last year (neither fo me nor for the people around me, they are safe), and you should not be either.

Then you should know the capability of the health care system is limited. It is set up to cope with a normal influx of sick people. Whenever that influx all of a sudden gets much higher, the system will crash. That happens with big disasters (with a result, more people dying because of lack of care), it also happens with a pandemic. Why do you think the Chinese built a couple of emergency hospitals in a few days in Wuhan? That can be done in one city, it cannot be done nation wide. That's what you should be worried about. Not the death rate itself, as I explained above already.
If the virus spreads quickly, it will get very ugly. Quickly.
 
yabeweb
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:41 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:49 am

ehusmann wrote:
yabeweb wrote:
Working in healthcare myself, and being around sick people all day long, I am not a little bit more scared today than I was last year (neither fo me nor for the people around me, they are safe), and you should not be either.

Then you should know the capability of the health care system is limited. It is set up to cope with a normal influx of sick people. Whenever that influx all of a sudden gets much higher, the system will crash. That happens with big disasters (with a result, more people dying because of lack of care), it also happens with a pandemic. Why do you think the Chinese built a couple of emergency hospitals in a few days in Wuhan? That can be done in one city, it cannot be done nation wide. That's what you should be worried about. Not the death rate itself, as I explained above already.
If the virus spreads quickly, it will get very ugly. Quickly.

That's the reason I am more scared about how people are reacting to the news than the virus itself because scared people can do stupid things, and use the healthcare system when not needed taking away from people who really do.

The media are disgusting as instead of reporting news they are making too much fuss about it, driving people mad and creating even worse consequences in the long run than the virus.

Believe your healthcare system, they know what they are doing, they deal with similar things every day, the media? they are in because they sell a lot more now than a month ago, they are trying to make as much as possible.

Should you take care of yourself and your loved ones? Shure as ALWAYS, should you go nuts about a virus? Definitely no.

Again put things in perspective, while COVI19 is not a small thing, there are even bigger ones, and just because you do not hear about those you are not worrying, all this scare is out of proportion.

COVID19 sells, it's the reason why they are reporting every death or new sick person as if they won the lotto... HEY we found another one that died!!!" LOOK we have another one om "insert city here".
 
uta999
Posts: 936
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:10 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:55 am

World road deaths = 1.35 million per year

COVI19 deaths (mainly the old and ill) = 3100 approx, though some would have died anyway through ill-health.

I will take my chances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... death_rate
Your computer just got better
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 9408
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:49 pm

The main problem with the Corona virus, is the lack of testing. The testing in many countries, including the USA, is done only on already sick people. If you want to stop the spreading, you have to test all persons a sick persons had contact with, like it is done when you find somebody with TB.
People start spreading long before they get sick and some people spreading having the virus, never get sick.

If you look at the out break in Washington, one reads, that they not even tested all persons living in the old peoples home. They did not test all personal and did not test all people having visited the sick persons.
It is like the testing rules are made to prevent finding people with the sickness.
11 death compared to 65 infections, points to the testing being to restricted. The likely number of infected people should be near 400 and those people could be spreading. Countries showing high numbers of death compared to low numbers of infected people, are most likely doing a bad job of the testing.

It seems that some of the countries showing high number of infected persons do serious testing. That could be one of the reasons for the high numbers.
Many countries will find out, that they reacted to slow to late.

The Corona Virus has already bypassed both SARS and MERS and I think we will see big numbers before it goes down again.

It will be a long time before we see a relief for the airlines and people start to travel normal again.
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:03 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
The Corona Virus has already bypassed both SARS and MERS and I think we will see big numbers before it goes down again.
.


But still a long, long way to go to catch up with the 2009 Swine Flu
 
planecane
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:23 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
The main problem with the Corona virus, is the lack of testing. The testing in many countries, including the USA, is done only on already sick people. If you want to stop the spreading, you have to test all persons a sick persons had contact with, like it is done when you find somebody with TB.
People start spreading long before they get sick and some people spreading having the virus, never get sick.

If you look at the out break in Washington, one reads, that they not even tested all persons living in the old peoples home. They did not test all personal and did not test all people having visited the sick persons.
It is like the testing rules are made to prevent finding people with the sickness.
11 death compared to 65 infections, points to the testing being to restricted. The likely number of infected people should be near 400 and those people could be spreading. Countries showing high numbers of death compared to low numbers of infected people, are most likely doing a bad job of the testing.

It seems that some of the countries showing high number of infected persons do serious testing. That could be one of the reasons for the high numbers.
Many countries will find out, that they reacted to slow to late.

The Corona Virus has already bypassed both SARS and MERS and I think we will see big numbers before it goes down again.

It will be a long time before we see a relief for the airlines and people start to travel normal again.


More testing uncovers the mild and asymptomatic cases. Look at South Korea. They have done a lot more testing as a percentage of their population. They have turned up a lot of cases but less than 0.8% of them are serious or critical. If this continues to be the trend it shows that this virus is no more serious than the seasonal flu.

If China had tested the entire population of Wuhan, how many mild or asymptomatic cases would they have found and how much lower would the mortality rate be?

Also, the WHO has stated that they aren't really seeing asymptomatic people spreading the virus.
Last edited by planecane on Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:55 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
The Corona Virus has already bypassed both SARS and MERS and I think we will see big numbers before it goes down again.
.


But still a long, long way to go to catch up with the 2009 Swine Flu


Just to reiterate:

On January 15, 2010, the CDC released new estimate figures for swine flu, saying it has sickened about 55 million Americans and killed about 11,160 from April through mid-December.[127] On February 12, 2010, the CDC released updated estimate figures for swine flu, reporting that, in total, 57 million Americans had been sickened, 257,000 had been hospitalised and 11,690 people had died (including 1,180 children) due to swine flu from April through to mid-January.

And about 10th of the panic, the media should be ashamed.
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1836
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:27 pm

If it's not there now, it will be by next week.
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:39 pm

DavidByrne wrote:
Love the way people talk as if (perhaps) two per cent of the global population dying is no big thing. Or that we should all relax because as long as you're younger and have no existing conditions, you'll be fine. Quite apart from the fact that that's been proven wrong, I'd just suggest we pause and think about our parents and grandparents and how susceptible they might be. My prediction: people's tune will change really fast once their nearest and dearest are infected.Especially if they're in a younger age group.

And for those suggesting that the sooner it goes through the global population, the better: Let me see, 2% of 7 billion is 140 million dead. No problem - bring it on! No one will miss them.


Greta and the Greens would be happy. Public health systems would be unburden with rising cost, morbid, yes but long term beneficial.

Let's take where this happened in China, air pollution already contributing to elevated respiratory issues, over 50% of men smoke, people stacked on top of each other like cord wood.

A Doc that teachs at Harvard said many need to look at the Princess ship as the best test case as it was as close to a controlled environment as we can get which means one person got on with it with nearly 4,000 passengers and crew, 700 and something positive case out that number. The deaths were all elderly. Many, if not all over 80 and were in a situation where they were constantly being bombarded by the virus and didn't get the proper care from the get go. Something like a .003 death rate in total.

You saw that very same phenomenon with the nursing home, none of the workers there are dying, just the patients that Sat thet in the toxic stew for a week.

There is zero rationale to the way the media is reporting this and the info is all right in front of them
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11160
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Possible COVID-19 infection at Boeing Everett plant.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:10 pm

Thread has drifted off topic and is now locked
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos