Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777-500er
Topic Author

FlyBe LHR slots: who will buy them?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:07 pm

Who will buy/lease the FlyBe slots at LHR?

HNLSLCPDX

Re: FlyBe LHR slots: who will buy them?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Surf Air probably will. Heard they are looking into inter British domestic flights connecting small towns into LHR.

Bhoy

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:26 pm

We don’t even know who owns them yet - most should revert to BA as they were remedy slots, but they would have been grandfathered to BE had they continued to operate until the end of the winter season (ie in 23 days time) - there’s seemingly a clause that says for non/use for up to 30 days can be accepted, so you may well find that Ernst & Young (assuming the likely administration was in fact appointed) claim them for the bankruptcy case in 23 days time...

KingB123

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:35 pm

Hey, it would be good if you posted this on the flybe thread as you will get all the info there. Can mods please close this thread thanks.
King B

Arion640

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:55 pm

Pretty sure they’ll revert back to BA.

Don’t be shocked if you see another US destination on the 787 opened up next year.

Zaf

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:08 pm

probably BA to add frequencies to NYC

krsw757

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:02 pm

JetBlue perhaps?

mattyfitzg

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:18 pm

krsw757 wrote:
JetBlue perhaps?

That didn’t take long did it

evanb

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:09 am

If they were remedy slots they will be made available first to anyone who can take over the conditions. If nobody can only then will they either go back to BA or back into the slot pool.

I'm not sure that remedy slots are transferable until the original conditions have been met.

jomur

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:41 am

evanb wrote:
If they were remedy slots they will be made available first to anyone who can take over the conditions. If nobody can only then will they either go back to BA or back into the slot pool.

I'm not sure that remedy slots are transferable until the original conditions have been met.

BA will get them back and if the administrators try and use the extension clause, if it exists, I suspect BA will be able to successfully argue against it and get them back and then they will be used either by BA or another operator can request to use them like FlyBe did originally and use them on basically the same routes at Flybe did.

jfk777

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:42 pm

mattyfitzg wrote:
krsw757 wrote:
JetBlue perhaps?

That didn’t take long did it

Very low odds for Jetblue A321neo flying to Heathrow from JFK & BOS, Gatwick much more likely. Stansted would be the other option.

Bongodog49

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:06 pm

jomur wrote:
evanb wrote:

BA will get them back and if the administrators try and use the extension clause, if it exists, I suspect BA will be able to successfully argue against it and get them back and then they will be used either by BA or another operator can request to use them like FlyBe did originally and use them on basically the same routes at Flybe did.

Thats my understanding of the situation. To the best of my recollection the rules governing the remedy slots did not cover the possibility of no one apart from BA wanting them, thats now two failures on the UK routes (little red and BMI), there really ought to have been a time limit of say 10 years, after which the slots reverted fully to BA. As it stands this bi annual exercise will continue forever.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:52 pm

krsw757 wrote:
JetBlue perhaps?

B6 hasn't announce which airport they will serve for London service that was due to start next year. So it's unlikely JetBlue. Only airlines that already serves LHR can use their slots to expand?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Indy

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:56 pm

I believe they had leased a pair (or more) from Virgin Atlantic. Wouldn't those go back to Virgin?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

NZ321

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:32 pm

Frankly, Virgin should buy them and / or set up a sensible link service. I hope they are in the postiion to do so but have no idea whether they have the funds to put it into action. LHR and UK need a strong Virgin to bring diversity to the market. Without Virgin, what would it be like? Can you imagine? This is the scenario on the table. Virgin needs feed. Even though it has sustained its ops over a number of years with ups and downs so far, is has hardly been a stirling or a consistent offering in terms of passenger experience or an aligned level of connection. This is opportunity in the making.
Plane mad!

Bongodog49

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:51 pm

NZ321 wrote:
Frankly, Virgin should buy them and / or set up a sensible link service. I hope they are in the postiion to do so but have no idea whether they have the funds to put it into action. LHR and UK need a strong Virgin to bring diversity to the market. Without Virgin, what would it be like? Can you imagine? This is the scenario on the table. Virgin needs feed. Even though it has sustained its ops over a number of years with ups and downs so far, is has hardly been a stirling or a consistent offering in terms of passenger experience or an aligned level of connection. This is opportunity in the making.

Are you forgetting that Virgin have now tried and failed twice ? firstly the wholly owned Little Red and secondly the part owned FlyB. Also it is not a questino of buying the remedy slots, they are avilable free of charge to applicants who meet the criteria.
Without Virgin at LHR I doubt it would be any different to now in regard to seat prices, where do VS go head to head with BA where there is not an airline from the destination also on the route ? LGW is a different scenario, most of the VS routes from there only have BA as competition, even there though VS have been cutting back and leaving BA as the sole provider.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos