Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
x1234
Topic Author
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:16 pm

Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network? I remember reviewing flight schedules of NW in the 1990's/2000's and it was only deployed on its European network with KLM.
 
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8788
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:22 pm

DC-10 was in the fleet since about 1973 so plenty of opportunities for Asian flying. I would be surprised if they didn’t even base some at Narita for regional flying
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
UA444
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:22 pm

Yes they flew to NRT, KIX, NGO and more.
 
ANA787
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:32 pm

Also operated PDX/SFO-NRT
 
User avatar
airzim
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:40 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:34 pm

I'm pretty certain I flew a DC-10 to KUL at one point. I also flew the DC-10s many times between SFO and NRT.

In addition, NW flew the 10s to BOM
 
AndoAv8R
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:57 pm

I have a good friend who was flying the DC-10 until it retired with Northwest, and he did a lot of asian flying with it (cant remember where every place was but I know they had a few routes over there)
 
Western727
Posts: 1765
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:59 pm

I never flew to Asia on NW, so I find myself trying to remember which variant of the -10 they flew to Asia: the 30 and/or the 40 series? Obviously, the 30 series didn't join the fleet until around 1991 (92?), so that may well factor into the answer. TIA.
Jack @ AUS
 
nwflyer32
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:10 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:17 pm

I flew many times on DC-10s in the late 90's early 2000's between AMS-BOM and KIX-KUL. Yes, I'm 99% sure they were -30s. Looking at my old tickets and Jan-April 2000 timetable, it was NW57-58 AMS-BOM and NW69-70 KIX-KUL.
 
AngMoh
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:29 pm

I flew a DC-10 in 1999 on SIN-NRT. It had been pulled out of the desert and replaced a 747 after the Asian financial crisis. It was a pile of garbage and the door could not open on arrival in SIN on the way back. Had to wait for 1 hour for temperatures to settle before we could get out. Still lucky because on the day before my colleague flew on the same plane and the cargo door was stuck for 6 hours. So happy when they were replaced by A330s.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739/ER 742 743 744/M 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85
 
TW870
Posts: 1213
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:37 pm

As others have noted, NW flew the DC-10 extensively in Asia after the GE-powered DC-10-30s started arriving from Swissair and other carriers in 1992.

The bigger question is if Northwest ever scheduled the Pratt powered DC-10-40s to Asia. If they did, it would have been in a very short window in the 1970s. I swear I have seen NW advertisements for the DC-10 in Asia, but after surveying schedules from 1974, 1976, 1978, and 1980, I see no DC-10 transpac service. DC-10s flew west coast to Alaska and Hawaii, but nothing that I can find further to the West. And once NW built up its Europe flying out of BOS and DTW, the whole DC-10-40 fleet was occupied with domestic and Europe. Can anyone find examples of NW DC-10-40 flying in Asia?
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:22 pm

TW870 wrote:
As others have noted, NW flew the DC-10 extensively in Asia after the GE-powered DC-10-30s started arriving from Swissair and other carriers in 1992.

The bigger question is if Northwest ever scheduled the Pratt powered DC-10-40s to Asia. If they did, it would have been in a very short window in the 1970s. I swear I have seen NW advertisements for the DC-10 in Asia, but after surveying schedules from 1974, 1976, 1978, and 1980, I see no DC-10 transpac service. DC-10s flew west coast to Alaska and Hawaii, but nothing that I can find further to the West. And once NW built up its Europe flying out of BOS and DTW, the whole DC-10-40 fleet was occupied with domestic and Europe. Can anyone find examples of NW DC-10-40 flying in Asia?


NW's April 29, 1973 timetable shows the DC-10 was used on NW 3, IAD-CLE-ORD-ANC-HND. The HND-ITM-TPE legs of this flight were operated with a 707.

The April 22, 1974 timetable shows this flight was due to switch to a 747, and the CLE stop would be omitted, effective June 1, 1974.

Other flights you could take an NW DC-10 in 1973 were:

NW 20 PDX-ORD-CLE
NW 28 SEA-ORD-CLE-PHL-JFK
NW 51 PHL-DTW-SEA-PDX
NW 57 CLE-ORD-PDX-SEA
NW 80 MSP-DTW-PHL
NW 153 MSP-SFO
NW 158 SFO-MSP
NW 245 JFK-DTW-ORD-MSP
NW 707 FLL-ORD-MSP
NW 726 MSP-ORD-FLL
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:31 pm

Before the 1986 merger, when NW still had the Orient in its title, I believe the DC-10-40s were mainly used domestic and across the Atlantic. It's probably only when the series 30 arrived that the NW DC-10s went to Asia. Their -40s were not as capable as the late -30s or even JL -40s.
 
airboss787
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:39 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:50 pm

airzim wrote:
I'm pretty certain I flew a DC-10 to KUL at one point. I also flew the DC-10s many times between SFO and NRT.

In addition, NW flew the 10s to BOM


Do you know where these 10s flew in from to BOM? Was it AMS? Do you also know if these aircraft operated in 1997 or 2002 on that route?
Star Alliance Gold
 
koambs
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:01 am

airboss787 wrote:
airzim wrote:
I'm pretty certain I flew a DC-10 to KUL at one point. I also flew the DC-10s many times between SFO and NRT.

In addition, NW flew the 10s to BOM


Do you know where these 10s flew in from to BOM? Was it AMS? Do you also know if these aircraft operated in 1997 or 2002 on that route?


Probably AMS. I flew a NW DC10 from DEL to AMS in 2000.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 2116
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:13 am

x1234 wrote:
Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network? I remember reviewing flight schedules of NW in the 1990's/2000's and it was only deployed on its European network with KLM.
I know that the photo database search engine is unreliable, but sometimes it works.
Here are just three; Hong Kong (this photo 2003), Shanghai (2004 - take your pick of three a/c), Japan (lots of choices 1992 - 2005)


Fun fact; out of 2775 Northwest DC-10 photos on the database, over half were taken at just one location, and it wasn't even in the USA.
(Amsterdam Schiphol. :D )

FWIW; the only photo on the database showing NWA in India, is a A330 in 2008, NW33 flying BOM-AMS
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8788
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:15 am

Yup BOM-AMS. One had a fire warning over Iran and made a precautionary landing at Tehran Mehrabad (this is in like 2006). They were on the ground for a few hours. All technical and passenger services provided by Iran were of the highest standard. They took on fuel but I think they weren’t charged for it. Pax were offloaded into the terminal (female pax given headscarves to conform to local dress code) and had some food, if not a meal then definitely sandwiches etc, but again I’m not sure if NW ever got a bill. I think sanctions would have forbade NW from paying money to an Iranian firm without the highest of dispensations from the US treasury so probably it was just waived.

Interesting side fact, the captain had been based there in the 70s during the era of the shah; one or two locals he knew from back in the day were on duty that night and enjoyed a brief and unexpected reunion.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:34 am

They did AMS-BOM, PDX-NRT, I believe SFO-SRT possibly for a short time, and definitely MSP-HNL and HNL-KIX/NRT. I don't think it ever operated to China. But it was a regular at NRT, specifically the -30 version with GE engines. The longest DC-10 route I flew was DTW-HNL. I witnessed a landing at NRT when I was out on the observation deck in 2004. We also saw an Iran 747SP land.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:38 am

LCDFlight wrote:
They did AMS-BOM, PDX-NRT, I believe SFO-SRT possibly for a short time, and definitely MSP-HNL and HNL-KIX/NRT. I don't think it ever operated to China. But it was a regular at NRT, specifically the -30 version with GE engines. The longest DC-10 route I flew was DTW-HNL. I witnessed a NW DC-10 landing at NRT when I was out on the observation deck in 2004. That would have been the HNL flight. We also saw an Iran 747SP land.
 
timz
Posts: 6582
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:43 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:40 am

If someone can read Japanese, we can confirm DC-10s to Japan in 1973

http://northwestairlineshistory.org/wp- ... -Japan.pdf
 
mandargb
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:00 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:49 am

yes, I have seen them doing SFO-NRT.
and yes I have seen NW DC10 at BOM also.
 
69bug
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:59 am

airzim wrote:
I'm pretty certain I flew a DC-10 to KUL at one point. I also flew the DC-10s many times between SFO and NRT.

In addition, NW flew the 10s to BOM


You are correct, Northwest flew to KUL using the DC-10, theres a pic in the database from 2011. It was a codeshare with KLM and on one of the initial flights it was flown by the aircraft with the KL/NW hybrid livery where side of the forward fuselage was in NW scheme and the other was in KL colours but the rear end was swapped so you had a KLM front with NW tail and vice versa. Google 'Northwest KLM hybrid livery'.

Anilv
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:02 am

TW870 wrote:
Can anyone find examples of NW DC-10-40 flying in Asia?

There you go. It was at least in Singapore in the 90s.
Captain Kevin
 
leftcoast8
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:10 am

Northwest's DC-10-30s saw regular use on SEA-KIX-KUL-CGK (NW95/96)
 
SLCLAXKIXKHH
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:10 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:11 am

While on our honeymoon, my wife and I flew on NW DC-10-30 KIX-KHH, KHH-KIX, and KIX-SEA.
I'm not anti-social. I'm just not user friendly.
 
User avatar
BawliBooch
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:56 am

NW + KLM had a joint op to DEL and BOM via AMS with DC-10's.

NW DC10's were the rattiest planes to the US from India - some felt like they were like 40 years old!
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:15 am

The DC-10-40 order dates back to the Nyrop era. Legend has it McDonnell Douglas designated them DC-10-20s but Nyrop demanded that they refer to them as DC-10-40s. The last DC-10-40 flight was in 2002 or 2003. Does anybody remember which airport it flew from?
 
cskok8
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:26 am

69bug wrote:
airzim wrote:
I'm pretty certain I flew a DC-10 to KUL at one point. I also flew the DC-10s many times between SFO and NRT.

In addition, NW flew the 10s to BOM


You are correct, Northwest flew to KUL using the DC-10, theres a pic in the database from 2011. It was a codeshare with KLM and on one of the initial flights it was flown by the aircraft with the KL/NW hybrid livery where side of the forward fuselage was in NW scheme and the other was in KL colours but the rear end was swapped so you had a KLM front with NW tail and vice versa. Google 'Northwest KLM hybrid livery'.

Anilv


I flew on one KUL-KIX in March 2000. They axed the route soon after 911
 
TW870
Posts: 1213
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:47 am

WA707atMSP wrote:

NW's April 29, 1973 timetable shows the DC-10 was used on NW 3, IAD-CLE-ORD-ANC-HND. The HND-ITM-TPE legs of this flight were operated with a 707.

The April 22, 1974 timetable shows this flight was due to switch to a 747, and the CLE stop would be omitted, effective June 1, 1974.


Excellent work finding this - and I am glad I am not crazy as I knew I had seen NW DC-10 marketing for Asia destinations. I figured it had to be an ANC-Japan flight, and that is what I scoured for on the later schedules. I think the JT9D-20W powered DC-10 would have been fairly payload restricted on the SEA-Japan non-stops, and thus they went straight from the 707 to the 747 and stayed with it.

April of 1973 would have been right after the DC-10 introduction, and they must have been experimenting with which 707 flights to upgauge to widebodies. By 1974 it seems like they made the 747 the core of their pacific marketing, and had swapped all non-707 flights in Asia to the 747, which stayed that way until the GE powered DC-10s joined the network in the 1990s.

The Pratt powered DC-10-40 had the best sound on takeoff of any aircraft. As a kid in the early 1980s, those and the Convair 580 were the cooles sounding airplanes in Minneapolis.
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 816
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:36 am

airzim wrote:
I'm pretty certain I flew a DC-10 to KUL at one point. I also flew the DC-10s many times between SFO and NRT.

In addition, NW flew the 10s to BOM



Yes, you are correct. In the mid nineties NW flew a DTW-AMS-BOM rotation on a DC-10 30. It didn't last very long. Maybe a year.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
User avatar
gunsontheroof
Posts: 3636
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:30 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:58 am

I was a bit young (and pre-internet) when NW DC-10s were flying over my home, but I have very fond memories of seeing the bowling shoes coming into SEA from the east. I was already a plane geek, but I thought the DC-10s/742s that flew over were the coolest. Got pulled from a soccer match once for paying more attention to airplanes than goalines.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.
 
User avatar
IrishAyes
Posts: 2426
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:28 am

can anyone provide a history of the NW ops to DEL and BOM? I believe they started in 1997 (at least DEL) but would be curious.
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 816
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:43 am

IrishAyes wrote:
can anyone provide a history of the NW ops to DEL and BOM? I believe they started in 1997 (at least DEL) but would be curious.



You are correct. The India ops started in the summer of 1997. I lived in Minneapolis at the time and knew all things NW. Again, I think the flights only lasted a year. NW used most of the DC-10 40's domestically. The DC-10-30's were almost all international. I took at least one flight from MSP-SFO on a DC-10-40 and between MSP-DTW several times. Even back in the nineties the DC 10's were pretty beat up.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
flyinggoat
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:38 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:05 am

I remember seeing a NW DC-10 at MNL in 1997.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:25 am

AirKevin wrote:
TW870 wrote:
Can anyone find examples of NW DC-10-40 flying in Asia?

There you go. It was at least in Singapore in the 90s.



For maintenance, per the comment on the left's picture.
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:47 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
TW870 wrote:
Can anyone find examples of NW DC-10-40 flying in Asia?

There you go. It was at least in Singapore in the 90s.

For maintenance, per the comment on the left's picture.

Yes, I'm aware of that. The original question asked if anyone was able to find examples of Northwest's DC-10-40s flying in Asia, which I have done. The question never asked how or why they were there.
Captain Kevin
 
bfitzflyer
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:56 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
Northwest's DC-10-30s saw regular use on SEA-KIX-KUL-CGK (NW95/96)
NW announced CGK but never flew it. Pretty sure I am right, but if not I stand corrected.
 
User avatar
airzim
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:40 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:01 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
airzim wrote:
I'm pretty certain I flew a DC-10 to KUL at one point. I also flew the DC-10s many times between SFO and NRT.

In addition, NW flew the 10s to BOM



Yes, you are correct. In the mid nineties NW flew a DTW-AMS-BOM rotation on a DC-10 30. It didn't last very long. Maybe a year.


I'm pretty certain they flew longer than a year. If memory serves, the alternated between AMS-DEL and AMS-BOM with KL. In fact once the merger happened, DL took over and flew to both DEL and BOM from AMS. Eventually switched the flight from AMS to CDG and flew it with a 767-300.
 
bfitzflyer
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:38 pm

airzim wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:
airzim wrote:
I'm pretty certain I flew a DC-10 to KUL at one point. I also flew the DC-10s many times between SFO and NRT.

In addition, NW flew the 10s to BOM



Yes, you are correct. In the mid nineties NW flew a DTW-AMS-BOM rotation on a DC-10 30. It didn't last very long. Maybe a year.


I'm pretty certain they flew longer than a year. If memory serves, the alternated between AMS-DEL and AMS-BOM with KL. In fact once the merger happened, DL took over and flew to both DEL and BOM from AMS. Eventually switched the flight from AMS to CDG and flew it with a 767-300.

Flight continued from ams to bom post merger
 
raylee67
Posts: 855
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:50 pm

When they first opened SEA-HKG, I think it was DC-10 too, then it moved to 747
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:28 pm

TW870 wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

NW's April 29, 1973 timetable shows the DC-10 was used on NW 3, IAD-CLE-ORD-ANC-HND. The HND-ITM-TPE legs of this flight were operated with a 707.

The April 22, 1974 timetable shows this flight was due to switch to a 747, and the CLE stop would be omitted, effective June 1, 1974.


Excellent work finding this - and I am glad I am not crazy as I knew I had seen NW DC-10 marketing for Asia destinations. I figured it had to be an ANC-Japan flight, and that is what I scoured for on the later schedules. I think the JT9D-20W powered DC-10 would have been fairly payload restricted on the SEA-Japan non-stops, and thus they went straight from the 707 to the 747 and stayed with it.

April of 1973 would have been right after the DC-10 introduction, and they must have been experimenting with which 707 flights to upgauge to widebodies. By 1974 it seems like they made the 747 the core of their pacific marketing, and had swapped all non-707 flights in Asia to the 747, which stayed that way until the GE powered DC-10s joined the network in the 1990s.

The Pratt powered DC-10-40 had the best sound on takeoff of any aircraft. As a kid in the early 1980s, those and the Convair 580 were the cooles sounding airplanes in Minneapolis.


It's interesting that JAL chose the DC-10-40 because Northwest had also purchased it; the two airlines planned to support each others' aircraft, with JAL supporting NW's DC-10s in Asia, and NW supporting JAL's aircraft in the United States. However, NW used their DC-10-40s only briefly to Asia, and JAL's DC-10-40s saw only limited use to the continental US. I think the only route to the continental US they were flown on was Tokyo-Anchorage-JFK.
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:29 pm

raylee67 wrote:
When they first opened SEA-HKG, I think it was DC-10 too, then it moved to 747


It was United that opened SEA-HKG with a DC-10. UA used DC-10-30s leased from CP Air for the route.
 
TW870
Posts: 1213
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:02 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
raylee67 wrote:
When they first opened SEA-HKG, I think it was DC-10 too, then it moved to 747


It was United that opened SEA-HKG with a DC-10. UA used DC-10-30s leased from CP Air for the route.


I always wondered about how United was able to do that. At 5,600nm, that trip is really long for a DC-10-30. I'm guessing they were very payload critical on the westbound leg. The CP Air birds must have been very high gross weight to make that route work. It is interesting that United bought the two very high gross weight 747-200Bs with the -7R4G2 engines for SEA-HKG to replace the DC-10s. Once they dropped the route, they rotated them through the rest of the system, and then sold them to Northwest as freighters in 1999.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:09 pm

TW870 wrote:
I always wondered about how United was able to do that. At 5,600nm, that trip is really long for a DC-10-30. I'm guessing they were very payload critical on the westbound leg. The CP Air birds must have been very high gross weight to make that route work.


The CP Air birds had then all the latest upgrade to reduce fuel consumption, such as wing route fairings and such, and when United leased them they were converted to -30ER as in Extended Range, meaning a higher MTOW to allow for an additional fuel tank in the cargo hold.
 
timz
Posts: 6582
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:43 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:08 am

TW870 wrote:
United bought the two very high gross weight 747-200Bs with the -7R4G2 engines for SEA-HKG

Didn't UA get the two 747-222Bs for JFK-NRT?
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:25 am

TW870 wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:
raylee67 wrote:
When they first opened SEA-HKG, I think it was DC-10 too, then it moved to 747


It was United that opened SEA-HKG with a DC-10. UA used DC-10-30s leased from CP Air for the route.


I always wondered about how United was able to do that. At 5,600nm, that trip is really long for a DC-10-30. I'm guessing they were very payload critical on the westbound leg. The CP Air birds must have been very high gross weight to make that route work. It is interesting that United bought the two very high gross weight 747-200Bs with the -7R4G2 engines for SEA-HKG to replace the DC-10s. Once they dropped the route, they rotated them through the rest of the system, and then sold them to Northwest as freighters in 1999.

Instead of dealing with special 742s, Why didn’t UA keep the leased DC-10-30ERs until the 747-400 was in service?
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:33 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Instead of dealing with special 742s, Why didn’t UA keep the leased DC-10-30ERs until the 747-400 was in service?


Before the leased CP -30ERs, United only had a small subfleet of 8 -30/-30CF essentially used on their Pacific network. UA and CP switched 3 DC-10-10s for 3 DC-10-30s. My guess is the contract had a certain duration and perhaps CP wanted its longrange capacity back. They kept the -30ERs as such.
 
blacksoviet
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:16 am

Why didn’t FedEx buy any of the DC-10-40s from Northwest and convert them to MD-10s?
 
simairlinenet
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:40 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
Northwest's DC-10-30s saw regular use on SEA-KIX-KUL-CGK (NW95/96)

KIX-CGK was announced but never launched due to the Asian Financial Crisis.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Did the Northwest DC-10 ever make it to its Asian network?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:34 am

NW was more of an Asian-Pacific airline back then. They flew short haul routes within Asia like NRT to PEK, NRT to CAN, etc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos