Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PanAm747LHR
Topic Author

LAX Diversions/Holding 9Mar

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:51 am

What's happening at LAX at the moment? Weather looks like it's ok, but there are an unusual number of aircraft holding/diverting.

AC 793 from YYZ just diverted to LAS.

LO 23 from WAW is holidng at FL 400 east of LAS, as is UA 275 from EWR, and DL 1431 from MSP.

Congestion is one thing, but the AC diversion makes me think something else might be up. Anyone on the ground in LA have any insight?

airportugal310

Re: LAX Diversions/Holding 9Mar

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:52 am

Runway swap
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

AirKevin

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:59 am

Looks like they're using 6/7 rather than 24/25 because of the winds. 120 at 16 gusting 23.
Captain Kevin

LAXintl

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:05 am

Flipped the airport around which takes a little time to accomplish and adjust traffic flows.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

WNagent310

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:12 am

Switching from West to East flow. Flights were being held at there gates while they switched the arrival patterns. Winds currently strong and gusty right now. Working gate 11A tonight at Terminal 1 and a diversion inbound from ONT due to gusty winds in the Inland Empire.

questions

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:36 am

WNagent310 wrote:
Switching from West to East flow.

Can you add some clarity? I’ve flown into and out of LAX many times. What does “From West to East flow” mean?

A) Flights taking off to the west (over the Pacific) now taking off to the east?

OR

B) Flights approaching and landing from the west now approaching and landing from the east.

Tankdiver

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:46 am

questions wrote:
WNagent310 wrote:

Can you add some clarity? I’ve flown into and out of LAX many times. What does “From West to East flow” mean?

A) Flights taking off to the west (over the Pacific) now taking off to the east?

OR

B) Flights approaching and landing from the west now approaching and landing from the east.

"From west to east flow" mean take off and landing on 6L/6R and 7L/7R....aircraft approaching from the ocean to land...and take off easy toward the city .

The normal pattern is to take off and land from 24L/24R and 25L/25R, approaching from the city(town down) to land...and take off west towards the ocean.

questions

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:09 am

Tankdiver wrote:
questions wrote:
WNagent310 wrote:

OR

"From west to east flow" mean take off and landing on 6L/6R and 7L/7R....aircraft approaching from the ocean to land...and take off easy toward the city .

The normal pattern is to take off and land from 24L/24R and 25L/25R, approaching from the city(town down) to land...and take off west towards the ocean.

Thank you. And you explained it much better than articulated in my question. Since takeoffs and approaches are the same direction, it’s the “approaching from” that defines west or east flow.

hOMSaR

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:28 pm

questions wrote:
Tankdiver wrote:
questions wrote:

OR

Thank you. And you explained it much better than articulated in my question. Since takeoffs and approaches are the same direction, it’s the “approaching from” that defines west or east flow.

No, it’s the direction planes are flying that defines the flow. West flow means they are flying west for takeoffs and landings (i.e. using the 24/25s). East flow means the planes are flying East (6s/7s).
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos