Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

argentinevol98
Topic Author

Stolen Parts From Abandoned Aerosur Frames

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:02 pm

Came across this article in the Bolivian media (it is in Spanish). Several deputies of the Bolivian Legislature have denounced that many parts and items from both the exterior and interiors of several abandoned Aerosur aircraft have been stolen over the years the frames have been rotting in airports around Bolivia (Bolivia's airports are loaded with abandoned 727s and 732s from both LAB and Aerosur). The video attached has some interesting images that attest to the sad state of these birds; many of which were operational prior to being abandoned (there are more photos on the Los Tiempos Facebook post about the situation). I'm posting this more for the images of the old frames but the news is somewhat concerning as well (stolen aircraft parts entering the market really isn't a good thing).

(All aircraft in the video are at CBB but there are also many abandoned frames at VVI and LPB as well)

Article: https://www.lostiempos.com/actualidad/e ... es-aerosur
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

scbriml

Re: Stolen Parts From Abandoned Aerosur Frames

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:05 pm

Seriously? Maybe the Bolivian authorities should provide better security at their airports?

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

argentinevol98
Topic Author

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:16 pm

scbriml wrote:
Seriously? Maybe the Bolivian authorities should provide better security at their airports?

My suspicion would be that at least some of the authorities are/were in on any stolen parts. It would hardly be a surprising revelation down here given the endemic corruption. Certainly, however, security is often very relaxed (and protocol enforcement is sporadic and unpredictable).
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

oldJoe

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 pm

argentinevol98 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

My suspicion would be that at least some of the authorities are/were in on any stolen parts. It would hardly be a surprising revelation down here given the endemic corruption. Certainly, however, security is often very relaxed (and protocol enforcement is sporadic and unpredictable).

I have doubts about your suspicion ! Yes, corruption is anywhere present in South America, so why exclude the owners of this rotten birds ? It also can be that they have "stolen" their own parts. Now in urgent need of some cash they bring up this story ? Seriously, who want to buy planes rotting away since 8 years ???

RalXWB

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:33 pm

Its not like there is any demand for 727 parts...

argentinevol98
Topic Author

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:13 am

RalXWB wrote:
Its not like there is any demand for 727 parts...

Well not anymore, no, but the frames have been sitting there since at least 2012. TAM (a pseudo-airline operated by the Air Force) flew pax 727s right until 2017 or so. In fact, a lot of the accusations suggest that Air Force officials stole parts to use on the TAM 727 fleet-which I have little doubt is probably true. In fact the Air Force hangar is near most of the rotting 727 frames. Additionally while there are only two (or three?) 727 operators left in South America (all freight) up until just recently there were quite a few 727 freighters plowing freight routes in South America-so some demand certainly did exist. The parts were likely stolen years ago but investigations are only commencing now that there has been a change in government.

argentinevol98
Topic Author

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:22 am

oldJoe wrote:
argentinevol98 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

I have doubts about your suspicion ! Yes, corruption is anywhere present in South America, so why exclude the owners of this rotten birds ? It also can be that they have "stolen" their own parts. Now in urgent need of some cash they bring up this story ? Seriously, who want to buy planes rotting away since 8 years ???

That's quite possible as well! It would not surprise me if somehow Aerosur ex-management was involved as well. However, I would add that it is not actually whatever shell is left of Aerosure making the claims but members of the legislature. They hold that airport authority and the military were complicit-the theft was not necessarily recent-it's been over the years and probably mostly occurred in the first few years the frames sat there-when 727 parts still had value. I would also add that even if Aerosur employees or management somehow had been involved since the company has been dissolved and there is no reason for anyone from the company to be able to access the frames-someone or some people from the airport authority had to be complicit to allow this to happen. But you certainly bring up an interesting and quite possible theory!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos