Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Breathe
Topic Author

'Windfall' for British Airways as it wins back 12 Flybe flight slots

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:43 am

According to this article, BA have regained the BMI "remedy" slots for Aberdeen and Edinburgh which they can use for any route they please, but are obliged to hand the slots to another rival airline, if it wants to start new services between Heathrow and ABZ & EDI.

I can't see easyJet or Ryanair being interested. Eastern and Loganair seem to have their plates full at the moment without wanting to go head to head with BA.

It'll be interesting to see what new routes BA plan on going to once COVID-19 calms down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-51827607

Iloveboeing

Re: 'Windfall' for British Airways as it wins back 12 Flybe flight slots

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:48 am

FR at LHR? Is Michael O’Leary going to drive a tank to Terminal 5?

CALMSP

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 am

While not the best of times, if Ryan and U2 wanted to keep expanding their footprint, no better way to do so than to get into LHR.

jrfspa320

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:13 am

Would Loganair be interest?

Scotron12

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:24 am

Hence "rumor" of BA flying to MEL again! While anything is possible..this Wuhan virus is certainly mucking things up.

TWA772LR

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:36 am

Hourly shuttle to LCY problem solved!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Curiousflyer

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:55 am

TWA772LR wrote:

Great idea!

Arion640

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:00 am

CALMSP wrote:
While not the best of times, if Ryan and U2 wanted to keep expanding their footprint, no better way to do so than to get into LHR.

Easyjet more likely, although the flights would likely have to originate in Edinburgh.

flipdewaf

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:02 am

*Closes eyes and crosses fingers*
Please MME or additional frequency at LBA
*opens eye*

Stupid London airways!

In all honesty I like flying with BA and I hope they could do something to MEL as I’ve just signed up to a 3-5 year program with some people in Tasmania.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattyfitzg

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:28 am

TWA772LR wrote:

As great as that would be, they would have to jump through hoops to get BA Cityflyer to fly into LHR due to the BA Mainline Pilot/cabin crew contracts forbidding it.

BrianDromey

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:07 am

I think any airline would think very carefully about these slots. There is the requirement to operate them for three years (Six IATA seasons) which the two largest UK rivals to BA have failed to do without incurring huge losses. Either with 70 seat props or mainline jets. I think easyJet would be the only airline with anything like enough market presence to operate the EDI and ABZ routes and could eventually shift them to other European airports where they have a huge presence, Milan, Barcelona, etc. There is no prospect of growth beyond the initial 12 slots and easyJet like to be No1 or strong No2 in each of their markets.

I could very much see BA taking on the NQY PSO route, maybe a few additional frequencies to the likes of LBA. I suspect they will be mainly used on the longer leisure routes that BA have launched over the past few years, particularly in summer. But IAG have the luxury of suing these slots to wherever they like, not just the remedy routes.

flipdewaf

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:19 am

mattyfitzg wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

As great as that would be, they would have to jump through hoops to get BA Cityflyer to fly into LHR due to the BA Mainline Pilot/cabin crew contracts forbidding it.

Hourly shuttle to lcy would be horrendous! The rigmarole of going through security and only for a 6minute flight and a taxi in followed by more security etc. Much better to have a T5 airside secure extension at Paddington/central London to allow checkin and security prior to getting on the train and arrive in to T5 departure lounge.

Fred

mattyfitzg

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 am

flipdewaf wrote:
mattyfitzg wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Hourly shuttle to lcy would be horrendous! The rigmarole of going through security and only for a 6minute flight and a taxi in followed by more security etc. Much better to have a T5 airside secure extension at Paddington/central London to allow checkin and security prior to getting on the train and arrive in to T5 departure lounge.

Fred

But think of the tier points! ;)

flipdewaf

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:09 am

mattyfitzg wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
mattyfitzg wrote:

Fred

But think of the tier points! ;)

Lol, you wouldn’t be able to get a seat with people doing tier point runs at 5points a minute!! I thought 40points for 45minutes in the air from Leeds was bad!

Fred

jumpjets

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:18 am

As I understand it these slots will revert back to BA and they can use them on whatever route they like but if another eligible airline bids to take on the designated routes eg Aberdeen, BA have to hand them back. Does anyone know if there is a time limit after which airlines can no longer bid for the remedy slots and they become the permanent property of BA?

I do wonder given the failure by two airlines to make a success out of the slots whether BA could apply to the appropriate competition authority to have the terms of the BMI takeover varied and the remedy slot requirements cancelled.

Bhoy

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:26 am

flipdewaf wrote:
mattyfitzg wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Fred

Domestic flights arriving at T5 don’t Require security screening for transit passengers, so in the extremely unlikely case of BA offering such a service, you’d clear security at LCY and go straight to departures at LHR for your transit flight. On the way back however, you’d have to clear immigration and Security at LHR for your flight to LCY (unless you were routing from somewhere else in the common travel area, obviously).

If however you were originating at LHR and wanting to go somewhere via LCY, you’d have to reclear Security at LCY, as City is laid out for point to point, with no transit facility at all (ie you need to collect your checked luggage and drop it off at a bag drop desk land side again, even if it’s already tagged through for a connecting flight)

Lofty

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:30 pm

BA are already doing LHR NQY route.

edina

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:50 pm

Bhoy wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

If however you were originating at LHR and wanting to go somewhere via LCY, you’d have to reclear Security at LCY, as City is laid out for point to point, with no transit facility at all (ie you need to collect your checked luggage and drop it off at a bag drop desk land side again, even if it’s already tagged through for a connecting flight)

You CAN through check baggage at LCY - I do GLA-LCY-IOM & return on a monthly basis with a bag in the hold. Even following the arrivals route and reclearing security I have managed to make my connection in just under 45 minutes, and bags have made it on every occasion.
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

TUGMASTER

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:06 pm

I wouldn’t say BE couldn’t make these slots work... quite the opposite in fact....
the problem was the most of the rest of the BE operation was dog shit.

8herveg

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:22 pm

edina wrote:
Bhoy wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

You CAN through check baggage at LCY - I do GLA-LCY-IOM & return on a monthly basis with a bag in the hold. Even following the arrivals route and reclearing security I have managed to make my connection in just under 45 minutes, and bags have made it on every occasion.

Out of interest, why do you do that route? Seems like a massive detour to fly all the way south to LCY and back up to IOM?

jghealey

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm

8herveg wrote:
edina wrote:
Bhoy wrote:

Out of interest, why do you do that route? Seems like a massive detour to fly all the way south to LCY and back up to IOM?

Seems odd on the surface, but there's not really a realistic alternative... Aer Lingus via DUB wouldn't be much different, plus both legs are on the ATR so a less comfortable product than BA, where 1 flight is the E190 and the other is the ATR42.

Drofereh

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Lofty wrote:
BA are already doing LHR NQY route.
But only July to early Sept at the moment?- Do you think they might make it year round and twice daily? I think NQY-London is subsidized? Maybe Easyjet to LGW or LTN? or planes too big?

edina

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:24 pm

8herveg wrote:
edina wrote:
Bhoy wrote:

I used to use direct CityWing flights from GLA, but choose BA for the tier points/avios, plus it's usually cheaper than the limited LM schedule available from EDI (living in the west end of Glasgow EDI is a hike anyway).
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

usdcaguy

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Why is it that these slots are “reverting” back to BA and are not being given to a competitor? Seems like there would be plenty of airlines lining up for these.

dfw88

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:15 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Why is it that these slots are “reverting” back to BA and are not being given to a competitor? Seems like there would be plenty of airlines lining up for these.

Did you read the article in the original post? These were originally BA's slots but were given up in the BMI deal. If they weren't being used by BA they were required to be used on a certain set of domestic flights, which is exactly what FlyBe was doing. Now that FlyBe is gone these slots go back to BA because, again, they were BA's to begin with. If another airline wants to have a go at the domestic routes then BA has to give them up again. If not, they're BA's to use as they please.

Breathe
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:28 pm

If nobody takes over the routes from Flybe and they revert back to BA, and then start using them to new destinations/increase capacity on exisiting routes, say after a year an airline wants to take on the EDI and ABZ routes, how long would BA have to give the slots back up?

TC957

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:51 pm

Could BA start a LHR - LPL service ? Not one current LPL flight from down south.

Andy33

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:10 pm

TC957 wrote:
Could BA start a LHR - LPL service ? Not one current LPL flight from down south.

Could they? Yes.
Will they? Well, they have flown to MAN for very many years and the two airports are just 30 miles apart by road. Manchester has a much larger catchment area, of course, and BA would risk cannibalising their own market. It perhaps says something that neither Easyjet nor Ryanair, who both have significant operations at Liverpool, fly from there to any London airport although there is nothing to stop them doing so.

Andy33

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:16 pm

TC957 wrote:

Could they? Yes.
Will they? Well, they have flown to MAN for very many years and the two airports are just 30 miles apart by road. Manchester has a much larger catchment area, of course, and BA would risk cannibalising their own market. It perhaps says something that neither Easyjet nor Ryanair, who both have significant operations at Liverpool, fly from there to any London airport although there is nothing to stop them doing so.

IrishLessor

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:41 pm

TC957 wrote:

Yes they could but given that as a comparator MAN LHR has in the region of 75% connecting pax, and KLM couldn't make LPL AMS attractive as a connecting point,I wpuld argue that BA wouldn't jump at this.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos