Trip

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:30 pm

JannEejit wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
I presume that Icelandair is being impacted by this travel restriction due to the Coronavirus a lot more than the mainland Europe carriers, as a large part of their business model is connecting passengers from the US and Canada to Europe. And, Iceland is part of the Schengen Area, so going to Iceland is also restricted as well.

Icelandair relocated it's entire operation to Glasgow during the "unpronounceable" volcano eruption mayhem a few years ago. Could they do that again ? Would that be enough to get them round the Shengen Area ruling ?

Perhaps they'd be permitted to operate flights on that basis, but I expect that they'd have few passengers and most would be connecting from Schengen Area countries and would thus not be allowed to enter the US.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 pm

I predict that US airlines will now be grounded by early next week....probably for 2-3 weeks.

MSPNWA

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:36 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
I predict that US airlines will now be grounded by early next week....probably for 2-3 weeks.

I agree. And with how fast this is escalating it could be even quicker than that.

joeblow10

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:38 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I agree. And with how fast this is escalating it could be even quicker than that.

Can you really ground them immediately though? Imagine the chaos that would unleash in the midst of spring break. I feel like even Trump would recognize the need for notice to do something that drastic (not that I disagree it’s not possible)

hpff

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:40 pm

Vasu wrote:
On 4th April I’m due to fly LHR-FRA-PHX with Lufthansa and Condor. At the moment my original LHR to FRA has been cancelled and I’ve been moved to another flight (actually slightly more convenient), and the FRA to PHX Condor flight is still claiming to be operating.

If the Condor flight to PHX still goes ahead, would we be able to transit through FRA en route? We would technically not enter Germany... I have read contradictory claims in different places. Can anyone help?

Or is Condor likely to cancel FRA to PHX anyway?

I will be shocked if Condor doesn't cancel any FRA-PHX flights that were scheduled before 12 April. Try to see if you can rebook on BA.

CobaltScar

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:42 pm

B757rocket wrote:
Trump mulling 30 day travel ban to Washington state and California

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-consid ... 27351.html

RIP alaska air

braddmlewis

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:01 am

These are not normal times people. We should assume nothing is off the table and I agree I think airlines being grounded country wide for some period of time is highly likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwestindy

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:23 am

CobaltScar wrote:
B757rocket wrote:

RIP alaska air

Alaska is looking increasingly ridiculous, after saying earlier in the week that they are only seeing "material" reductions in bookings, and were touting how their fare sales were successful.... They didn't want to make any decisions on capacity yet....while the rest of the aviation world was actually preparing for what was to come :banghead:

Me & tphuang, and most of every reasonable person saw that, that was not the right decision.

I applaud Scott Kirby, he & his team seemed prepared to handle this from the get-go
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

crjflyboy

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:26 am

Flew from PBI earlier today to ATL ... 8 people on the 737 - 900 .. both facilities were empty ... we have entered the twilight zone .. hope I can get back Friday to PBI ... who knows ...

alasizon

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:33 am

B757rocket wrote:

The article headline is a bit too clickbait-ish, he isn't considering WA or CA, his comments were that it's not unreasonable if there was an area that became too much of a hot bed. Given New York has jumped up to take 2nd place behind WA, it would be much easier to argue NY is the hot spot, particularly since they won't test anyone who isn't showing pneumonia symptoms or has confirmed exposure to a hot spot area. While WA jumped out to a large lead at first, so many of those were at the nursing homes.

Isolating CA would cause enormous headaches when it comes to fresh produce as you can't just cut off air travel and call it good, road travel has just as much of a threat of moving people from point A to point B.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

malaysia

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:45 am

LAXintl wrote:
China is returning to business.

Air China upped their LAX/SFO frequencies from 4 to 6 this week.

Thought China travel is still banned?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

LupineChemist

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 am

gatibosgru wrote:
Starfuryt wrote:
One of the very last posts in the previous thread was Finnair's press release, so I'm going to repost it here.

tl;dr: "Finnair is cancelling all flights to the US between 19 March and 12 April due to the US Government’s travel restrictions. Finnair is also cancelling its flights to Delhi between 15 March and 14 April due to recent visa restrictions."

full press release: https://company.finnair.com/en/media/al ... id=3597687

-Mikhail

Sad as I was super excited to try them for the first time on the 24th of this month from HEL to MIA. I'm flying AA from MIA to CDG and on the return had a day layover in HEL, I wonder if they'll just re-accommodate me on CDG-MIA nonstop or the entire thing will be canceled.

Please don't go if at all possible to avoid. Any non-essential travel is just irresponsible right now.

I thought like you a week ago and living in Madrid is sobering me up fast to just how bad this is.

ArtV

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 am

malaysia wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Freight, freight, freight.....the pax may not want to travel, but the belly can be full and prices are higher to cover the missing pax.

WidebodyPTV

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:54 am

MSPNWA wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Unless there's a mandate, I doubt that will happen. There's a pretty strong faction, including myself, that is feels the hysteria regarding the coronavirus is unwarranted and is willing to travel. Obviously, that faction is small and there will be severe flight reductions in the coming weeks.

As of now, the impact of travel by the virus is very regional. Just playing with Google's estimate of crowds, airports like DTW, MSP, ORD and LAX are slightly less than busy. Airports like JFK, ATL, SEA and SFO are significantly less busy than usual. In the past week, I've flown through DTW, ORD, LAX, SFO and ATL, and my observations were consistent with Google's real time estimates. Of course, people in the Midwest/East are far more likely to travel to warm weather destinations for spring break; many of these trips were planned for months in advance, and many people may have decided to go forward with their trips. Once spring break is over, travel in those markets may free fall. I see where you can travel from MSP nonstop on DL to Hawaii for about RT$300 for the next few weeks - wow!

32andBelow

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:08 am

Midwestindy wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
B757rocket wrote:

RIP alaska air

Alaska is looking increasingly ridiculous, after saying earlier in the week that they are only seeing "material" reductions in bookings, and were touting how their fare sales were successful.... They didn't want to make any decisions on capacity yet....while the rest of the aviation world was actually preparing for what was to come :banghead:

Me & tphuang, and most of every reasonable person saw that, that was not the right decision.

I applaud Scott Kirby, he & his team seemed prepared to handle this from the get-go
i just rebooked a trip from Saturday to today and I bought first class and only had to pay them 4 dollars over my original coach flight.

dcajet

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:28 am

The following airlines won't be allowed to fly to Argentina as of Monday, March 16th, for 30 days:

Aerolineas Argentinas (EZE-FCO/EZE-JFK/EZE-MAD/EZE-MIA/EZE-MCO routes)
Air Europa (EZE-MAD/COR-MAD/IGR-MAD routes)
Air France
Alitalia
American Airlines (COR-MIA/EZE-DFW/EZE-JFK/EZE-LAX/EZE-MIA routes)
British Airways
Delta Air Lines
Edelweiss
KLM
Iberia
LATAM Argentina (EZE-MIA route)
LEVEL
Lufthansa
Norwegian Air UK
United Airlines
Turkish Airlines

All in all, around 1,200 flights.

Interesting that Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar Airways are not included in the ban.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

dcajet

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:33 am

Some loads and load factors of random arrivals into EZE on Friday AM

- AR 1141: 260 PAX - 98,11% - FCO
- IB 6841: 247 PAX - 70,9% - MAD
- KL 701: 208 PAX - 70,7% - AMS
- UX 041: 214 PAX - 63,1% - MAD
- LH 510: 223 PAX - 61,2% - FRA
- AR 1321: 159 PAX - 60% - MCO
- AF 228: 131 PAX - 42% - CDG

aden23

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:34 am

LupineChemist wrote:

Please don't go if at all possible to avoid. Any non-essential travel is just irresponsible right now.

I don't disagree with the sentiment here, but this just isn't realistic. I travel for work; I've got Miami, NYC, Denver, and Boston all on the agenda for the next 4 weeks. Unless banks are going to start forgiving my bills, I can't just stop working.

alasizon

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:38 am

dcajet wrote:
The following airlines won't be allowed to fly to Argentina as of Monday, March 16th, for 30 days:

Air France
Alitalia
British Airways
Delta Air Lines
Edelweiss
KLM
Iberia
LEVEL
Lufthansa
Norwegian Air UK
United Airlines
Turkish Airlines

Interesting that Emirates, Ethiopian and Qatar Airways are not included in the ban.

My understanding is that Argentinian nationals are still allowed to return to Argentina but that visitors from the US, China, UK, Iran, Japan and the Schengen area are not allowed.

LNCS0930

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:39 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

The problem is where does it end? You will see cases for a sold year. You can’t go grounding them every time a pilot or a flight attendant tests positive

32andBelow

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:49 am

alasizon wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Air France
Alitalia
British Airways
Delta Air Lines
Edelweiss
KLM
Iberia
LEVEL
Lufthansa
Norwegian Air UK
United Airlines
Turkish Airlines

My understanding is that Argentinian nationals are still allowed to return to Argentina but that visitors from the US, China, UK, Iran, Japan and the Schengen area are not allowed.

None of those airlines are going to operate for Argentinian nationals excep LATAM

dcajet

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:51 am

alasizon wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Air France
Alitalia
British Airways
Delta Air Lines
Edelweiss
KLM
Iberia
LEVEL
Lufthansa
Norwegian Air UK
United Airlines
Turkish Airlines

They are allowed to return (presumably via GRU or some other airport in the region) or with airlines that are not included in the ban (there are plenty, from Aeromexico to Avianca, from Qatar to COPA). All, however, have to go into quarantine for 14 days. Not sure if it is all of Europe or just Schengen. I'm inclined to say all of Europe, as Turkish Airlines is included in the ban.

dcajet

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:53 am

32andBelow wrote:
alasizon wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Air France
Alitalia
British Airways
Delta Air Lines
Edelweiss
KLM
Iberia
LEVEL
Lufthansa
Norwegian Air UK
United Airlines
Turkish Airlines

None of those airlines are going to operate for Argentinian nationals excep LATAM

Apparently AR will run some repatriation flights beginning next week, as per Clarin. It will be the only one allowed to do so.

https://www.clarin.com/sociedad/coronav ... oRD4w.html

strangeplanes

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:04 am

Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) has canceled all flights to the United States for the duration of the ban. Passengers will not be rebooked on other airlines and only have the option of rebooking with SAS in the future or getting a refund. I know many who are now stranded across the UK and Europe due to this. The airline is unreachable from its US or European numbers due to extreme call traffic and limited hours. Additionally, US Embassies are not letting in citizens who are stranded nor providing assistance any assistance.

FlyingElvii

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:15 am

B747forever wrote:
Just came in that an AA pilot has tested positive for the virus.

DFW-Based...
So much for the FAA/CDC Guidance that came out on Monday afternoon.

FlyingElvii

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:22 am

ArtV wrote:
malaysia wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Freight, freight, freight.....the pax may not want to travel, but the belly can be full and prices are higher to cover the missing pax.

I don’t think it is logistically possible. The duty rules would have to be severely modified to allow a single crew out and back, or to allow having another crew aboard to operate back. If they get off the plane they are stuck in a hot zone. If they have a mechanical they are stuck in a hot zone.

Do you think any Union is going to agree to that right now?

FlyingElvii

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:24 am

strangeplanes wrote:
Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) has canceled all flights to the United States for the duration of the ban. Passengers will not be rebooked on other airlines and only have the option of rebooking with SAS in the future or getting a refund. I know many who are now stranded across the UK and Europe due to this. The airline is unreachable from its US or European numbers due to extreme call traffic and limited hours. Additionally, US Embassies are not letting in citizens who are stranded nor providing assistance any assistance.

The State Department said TWO WEEKS AGO that International travel was not recommended, because you could get stuck out of the country with no way back, and no assistance.

tphuang

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:26 am

dcajet wrote:

Air France
Alitalia
British Airways
Delta Air Lines
Edelweiss
KLM
Iberia
LEVEL
Lufthansa
Norwegian Air UK
United Airlines
Turkish Airlines

Thank goodness Avianca is not on that list. Or I don’t know how I am going to make my way back to USA!

AntonioMartin

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:38 am

Without wanting to go off topic, my prayers are with the world at this time of need for us all.

That said I wonder if Delta or United will be affected severely.

FlyingElvii

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 am

First positive Alaska coronavirus case identified as person from cargo flight
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/03 ... dentified/

“Foreign national on a “Private” cargo flight. ???

32andBelow

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:37 am

Walking through SEA. AS is boarding a flight to SAN Jose CA with 17 people right now.

Tenaja85

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:52 am

32andBelow wrote:
Walking through SEA. AS is boarding a flight to SAN Jose CA with 17 people right now.

Tonight at PHX while waiting for my flight to board I counted 22 passengers board an A319 to MEM.

UPlog

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 am

malaysia wrote:

Air China has continued to serve LAX, SFO, JFK and IAD, while both China Southern and China Eastern have also maintained LAX service.

WidebodyPTV

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:07 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
Without wanting to go off topic, my prayers are with the world at this time of need for us all.

That said I wonder if Delta or United will be affected severely.

Every single passenger airline in the world will be severely affected...

alasizon

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:09 am

Tenaja85 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Tonight at PHX while waiting for my flight to board I counted 22 passengers board an A319 to MEM.

Assuming you are talking about the AA 319 to MEM; that flight went out near full.

chepos

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:31 am

Tenaja85 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Did you get to the gate at final boarding? Not going to post loads on here, but yeah there were much more than 20 passengers onboard.

Fly the Flag!!!!

CaliAtenza

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:15 am

I had to come out to Chicago for some personal work from LAX and I'm seeing fares as low as $65 on United one way, last minute. Booked my return earlier tonight...its $65 on basic economy but still.

dmstorm22

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:40 am

CaliAtenza wrote:
I had to come out to Chicago for some personal work from LAX and I'm seeing fares as low as $65 on United one way, last minute. Booked my return earlier tonight...its $65 on basic economy but still.

Yup fares are creating.

been doing a project in Toronto, my normal EWR-YYZ-EWR fare is around $450-550, right now getting it at $150-200 RT. Of course, at the same moment we've restricted travel....

AngMoh

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:03 am

Singapore adds travel restrictions to people coming from Germany, France and Spain:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... n-12534476
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739/ER 742 743 744/M 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

YIMBY

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:11 am

scbriml wrote:
B757rocket wrote:

Too late to stop the spread.

It is still possible to slow the spreading into least affected states (assuming such exist).

The ban would be expected, given that Washington, California and New York have more confirmed cases and deaths than most of the foreign countries banned. Do individual states have the right to stop travel or air traffic from the sickest states or is it strictly a federal authority?

32andBelow

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:23 am

YIMBY wrote:
scbriml wrote:
B757rocket wrote:

Too late to stop the spread.

It is still possible to slow the spreading into least affected states (assuming such exist).

The ban would be expected, given that Washington, California and New York have more confirmed cases and deaths than most of the foreign countries banned. Do individual states have the right to stop travel or air traffic from the sickest states or is it strictly a federal authority?
what about shutting off certain areas from O and D traffic.

777-500er

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:30 am

AA suspends all flights to Europe until May. Only exception is LHR.

chepos

Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:34 am

777-500er wrote:
AA suspends all flights to Europe until May. Only exception is LHR.

Dublin and MAN are not showing as suspended.

Fly the Flag!!!!

SpoonNZ

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:59 am

strangeplanes wrote:
Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) has canceled all flights to the United States for the duration of the ban.

Got a source for that? This is the first domino in the line to trigger a bunch of cancellations/refunds for me. SAS have been slow to update

E: They’ve finally announced stuff.

CPH-ORD, CPH-NYC, ARN-NYC remain on a reduced schedule.
CPH-SFO remains until the 17th, but it’s not clear what happens after. This is the route I’m flying, so more waiting.

https://www.flysas.com/en/traffic-information/message/

cskok8

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:35 am

LAXintl wrote:

They are not worried about importing cases from US?

kevertje

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:53 am

I really don't understand why the USA is not banning domestic travel.
Trump looks at the Schengen countries and not the UK. Really unbelievable looking at the numbers.

Would be nice to know the load-figures of for example KL and AF this morning. Seems DL47 and UA71 and even KL641 are on normal schedule so far (schiphol.nl)

If you have the time you might want to ready this :
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca

joeljack

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:16 am

MSPNWA wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

There is no way. Literally half my office is flying out Friday or Saturday if they didn’t leave Wednesday or Thursday already. I texted a few, flights out of DSM were pretty much full people said. I fly out 6am Friday, my flight seat map is completely full. Millions of Americans are out on spring break and you can’t bring them home fast. If US flights get grounded, a week notice minimum.

As with every year, Florida, Caribbean, Colorado, Phoenix and Vegas are the destinations of choice for Iowans.

I also don’t know if a single person that has altered their personal travel plans yet for spring break this next week.

32andBelow

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:47 am

joeljack wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

There is no way. Literally half my office is flying out Friday or Saturday if they didn’t leave Wednesday or Thursday already. I texted a few, flights out of DSM were pretty much full people said. I fly out 6am Friday, my flight seat map is completely full. Millions of Americans are out on spring break and you can’t bring them home fast. If US flights get grounded, a week notice minimum.

As with every year, Florida, Caribbean, Colorado, Phoenix and Vegas are the destinations of choice for Iowans.

I also don’t know if a single person that has altered their personal travel plans yet for spring break this next week.

Someone in your office is going to come back with covid-19.

piedmontf284000

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:19 am

cskok8 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

They are not worried about importing cases from US?

All travelers from the U.S. must be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival into Beijing or Shanghai.

The policy applies to both Chinese nationals and foreigners. Anyone without a permanent address must stay at a mandated hotel chosen by the Chinese government.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/11/beijing-t ... ases-rise/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/13/coronav ... vid19.html

ei146

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:20 am

Hi all,
from reading the discussions here I have the feeling a lot of people still do not understand the situation. In the end it doesn't matter anymore if one or the other country closes its borders. Or if this or the other flight is cancelled.The demand is not there anymore and the virus spread around the world already.
Here in Germany basically all public life slowed down. The companies cancel all business trips an send people home to work from there. I had three trips planned in the next four weeks, all cancelled. Public gatherings, concerts, festivals, conferences, trade fairs, sports events and so on all cancelled, theatres and cinemas closed. Schools are closed in high risk areas. There are discussions if universities should reopen for summer semester.
People are also advised to restrict their private travel as much as possible. It is recommended to refrain from any social activities, e.g. not to go to bars, clubs, sports clubs. Can you imagine how many people will have little or no income for some time? And once everyone is home, who will need seats in a plane anymore?
They even ask you not to take the kids to the grandparents. You would bring together the group which is most likely to carry the virus undetected (as kids seem to develop the least sympthoms, sometimes none at all) with the group who is most affected by a serious desease process.
We grew from single digit numbers of confirmed cases in February to 2300 today with a population of ~80 million. As I see the USA is catching up quickly with 1660 cases today. The concern is not the number of cases, but its exponential growth. If you consider that it takes two to three weeks to develop serious sympthoms we probably have already 10 to 20 times as much infected people without a confirmed test. The task is not to stop the pandemic. It's to late for that. We can only try to slow it down. Else it is just a question of weeks until we don't have enough intensive care units for all who need it.
I know it takes some time until this sinks in with the majority of the people. This is true here in Germany and the USA is probably no exception. But I think in a matter of days spring break travel is the least of our concerns.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos