Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vaughanparry

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:44 am

The UK's Daily Telegraph has this piece regarding a possible "surge in European passengers trying to get around Trump travel ban":

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... -airports/

With Friday's midnight deadline looming, the costs of Europe-US flights are in the spotlight with one flight from Paris CDG "to America" - neither the airline nor exact US destination is mentioned - for $20,000...

MIflyer12

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:38 am

kevertje wrote:
I really don't understand why the USA is not banning domestic travel.

I don't know that we have law that allows that at the national level. You're seeing health steps - testing services, school/university closures, banning large gatherings - taken at local and state levels where managing threats to public health has long resided. The powers at local levels can be significant: Under one state’s law, for example, a TB patient
may be required to undergo outpatient examination and treatment, DOT, hospitalization, or residential isolation to prevent the spread of the disease.

https://www.cdc.gov/tb/programs/TBLawPolicyHandbook.pdf

Sure, there is a mechanism to add or change law. If implemented such a law would immediately be tested in courts; if not by travel industry firms then by people who just want to disagree on expansion of law (by principle).

You also have pragmatic concerns - do you mean to prevent travel by road and rail, too? Then there are privacy laws: law enforcement can't track someone without probable cause and a court order, even if I may chose to let Google Maps know where I am at all times.

Cordons don't need 100% integrity to be effective, just the same way we don't need 100% of children to be vaccinated (just high enough to establish herd immunity where it's unlikely an unvaccinated child will come into contact with another unvaccinated child). Instead of banning travel it may be effective enough to ask people not to travel.

ro1960

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Unconfirmed but several medias report Paris Aéroport mulls closing terminal 3 (leisure and lowcost) at CDG and possibly terminal 2 (domestic) at ORY due to the reduced traffic.

France Bleue
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/economie-social/coronavirus-les-aeroports-de-paris-ferment-une-partie-de-leurs-terminaux-a-roissy-et-orly-1584032174
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

intrepidflyer

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:33 pm

Anecdotal passenger load observation, on EK29 DXB-LHR today, less than 200 pax on board this big whale A388

dabc

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:33 pm

Air Algerie is suspending flights between Algeria and Spain from March 16 to April 04

Iberia and Vueling are also suspending their flights between Algeria and Spain which means that both countries agreed to stop all flights of all accompanies between them

Air Algerie is suspending all flights between Algerian cities of Setif, Batna, Tlemcen, El Oued, Biskra , Chlef, Bejaia, Annaba and France from March 14 to April 04

Air Algerie is reducing number of flights between the 3 biggest Algerian cities (Algiers, Oran and Constantine) and France from March 14 to April 04

ethernal

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:00 pm

aden23 wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:

Please don't go if at all possible to avoid. Any non-essential travel is just irresponsible right now.

I don't disagree with the sentiment here, but this just isn't realistic. I travel for work; I've got Miami, NYC, Denver, and Boston all on the agenda for the next 4 weeks. Unless banks are going to start forgiving my bills, I can't just stop working.

Most of that will be cancelled. I don't know exactly what you do, but presumably you are working for a client or for your own company. I see you're mostly East Coast which seems a week or so behind the West Coast in terms of changes to policies. Every company is blocking non-essential travel, and some large companies have now essentially issued a blanket ban for even what would normally be deemed business-critical essential travel.

You may want to travel and work, but your clients (or your own company if you work for one) will tell you to stop traveling. The one potential exception is if you are doing site maintenance visits to keep essential manufacturing, agricultural, or utility plants running. If you're a corporate trainer, lawyer, consultant, or sales rep? That's going to be grounded.

Even the large consultancies - the ones who generate extreme margins for airlines on Monday mornings and Thursday afternoons - already have or are contemplating complete domestic travel bans for their employees. Literally a half million+ weekly travelers going "poof".

Take a look at ATL-SJC Monday morning. The plane is absolutely empty and this is a flight that over the past five years has never gone out with an empty seat. Except the past two weeks. This is a flight filled 95% with business travelers currently grounded because either their firm or their clients have told them "do not travel". You'll be in the same boat within a week.

ual763

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:03 pm

scbriml wrote:
B757rocket wrote:
Trump mulling 30 day travel ban to Washington state and California

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-consid ... 27351.html

Too late to stop the spread.

At this point, I feel any attempts at curbing travel are aimed at slowing the spread, rather than stopping it.
From flying to the NOTAM office

ual763

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:09 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
ArtV wrote:
malaysia wrote:

Thought China travel is still banned?

Freight, freight, freight.....the pax may not want to travel, but the belly can be full and prices are higher to cover the missing pax.

I don’t think it is logistically possible. The duty rules would have to be severely modified to allow a single crew out and back, or to allow having another crew aboard to operate back. If they get off the plane they are stuck in a hot zone. If they have a mechanical they are stuck in a hot zone.

Do you think any Union is going to agree to that right now?

Well, the other option for unions is furlough. They need to choose their poison.

FlyingHonu001

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm

Last AA203/AA204 PHL AMS PHL today. Route scrapped untill further notice
Last edited by FlyingHonu001 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ual763

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
Without wanting to go off topic, my prayers are with the world at this time of need for us all.

That said I wonder if Delta or United will be affected severely.

Well, obviously. ALL airlines are likely to be affected severely.

davidjohnson6

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:12 pm

Airlines are suffering badly and it seems likely that some will go bankrupt. While a 30 year old airframe will go straight to soft drink cans, what happens to airframes that are 10 years old ? Will leasing companies want to buy them ? Would the bankruptcy trustee be allowed to spend money putting the aircraft in storage for 12 months hoping to gain a decent price for the aircraft in future ? Is now perhaps the time to think about starting an airline with a view to acquiring the initial handful of 2nd hand aircraft very cheaply ?

chepos

Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:14 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
Last AA203/AA204 PHL AMS today. Route scrapped untill further notice

Scheduled to resume on May 7, again, at this point it all depends on how this virus thing keeps on developing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by chepos on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly the Flag!!!!

ual763

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:15 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Airlines are suffering badly and it seems likely that some will go bankrupt. While a 30 year old airframe will go straight to soft drink cans, what happens to airframes that are 10 years old ? Will leasing companies want to buy them ? Would the bankruptcy trustee be allowed to spend money putting the aircraft in storage for 12 months hoping to gain a decent price for the aircraft in future ? Is now perhaps the time to think about starting an airline with a view to acquiring the initial handful of 2nd hand aircraft very cheaply ?

May be able to acquire them cheaply, but if you have no passengers to fly in them, any new airline pretty much dead on arrival.

davidjohnson6

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:20 pm

To go from initial ideas about a new airline to being ready to buy an aircraft is probably 12 or 18 months - so no need to purchase aircraft immediately. Instead start a company with a view to buying aircraft maybe in Jan 2021 when there will be a glut of aircraft for sale by bankruptcy trustees...

tphuang

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:21 pm

All airlines are affected, but delta and united currently are hit the hardest.

Aa is next in line.
All the lccs and especially ulccs suffer the least up until now because they have lower fixed cost and are not as dependent on the Europe and corporate revenue.

But as things get more severe domestically, I don't think it's out of question we will get full domestic shutdown.

CriticalPoint

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:28 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Or the planes will just sit around and wait for capacity to come back. This is not permanent

pablo359

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:05 pm

So far we have seen very few announcements of route suspensions for US/Europe routes considering the travel restrictions start tonight. Does this mean that airlines are willing to fly almost empty flights at least from Europe to the US? Or are they still waiting to respond?

1989worstyear

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:17 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Or the planes will just sit around and wait for capacity to come back. This is not permanent

Depends on the type and when it entered service. A 30 year old A320 or 22 year old 77E/A330 would likely find a new home, but that 15-20 year old 752 or 763 will become beercans.

AA's recent change to their fleet plans reflects this.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

ethernal

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:26 pm

pablo359 wrote:
So far we have seen very few announcements of route suspensions for US/Europe routes considering the travel restrictions start tonight. Does this mean that airlines are willing to fly almost empty flights at least from Europe to the US? Or are they still waiting to respond?

Probably 60% or so of the travel volume between the US and Europe are either US citizens / permanent residents or parties that fall within the exclusion criteria. So, ignoring the organic capacity collapse from the pandemic (people not wanting to fly), there is still plenty of potential passenger volume to support routes.

The only routes that are getting cancelled immediately tonight are those that fly to non-enhanced screening airports.

Delta has already publicly said that they are keeping schedules the same until 3/15 (ostensibly their claim is to "help Americans get home" but practically probably has more to do with the fact that Delta's systems process schedule changes on Saturday and they don't want to risk unusual IT activity given the current situation, call volume, and IT meltdown earlier this week).

Routes will get trimmed for sure, but it will happen slowly. There is a lot of analysis that needs to be done to optimize which routes are trimmed and which are kept. I think as a general rule, airlines are going to cancel all EU flights not from their major hubs, and will likely reduce the amount of flying from hubs to secondary cities - relying more on their JV partners to connect to those destinations.

Buyantukhaa

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:38 pm

As of 18.00 local time today, the Dutch govt will ban aircraft coming from Italy, Iran, China and South Korea. https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2020/03/13/co ... t-a3993668 (Dutch only)

All Slovak airports closed.

Kuwait bans all flights, Kuwaiti nationals still allows to fly home. (But on what flights is unclear.)
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

RAGAZZO777

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Effective Monday 16 all non-stop flights from Europe to Lima will be banned indefinitely.

https://gestion.pe/peru/coronavirus-cor ... s-noticia/
JESÚS, TE AMO !!

Ciel

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:48 pm

tphuang wrote:

Aa is next in line.
All the lccs and especially ulccs suffer the least up until now because they have lower fixed cost and are not as dependent on the Europe and corporate revenue.

But as things get more severe domestically, I don't think it's out of question we will get full domestic shutdown.

I am sorry, I have probably missed a couple of posts about this. Could you please explain why Delta and United would be hit harder than AA?

LTCM

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Ciel wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Aa is next in line.

I am sorry, I have probably missed a couple of posts about this. Could you please explain why Delta and United would be hit harder than AA?

South America hasn't been hit as hard as others. Delta and United's bread and butter areas are getting the brunt of the virus.

ro1960

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:56 pm

pablo359 wrote:

The news is fresh and airlines are working their response as we speak for sure.

At AFKL Ben Smith has announced in an internal video address: "Air France-KLM is preparing an "adaptation plan" for an "unprecedented" crisis".

BOS and MIA remain open but IAH is closing temporarily.

Article in French:
https://www.lesechos.fr/industrie-services/tourisme-transport/exclusif-coronavirus-air-france-klm-prepare-un-plan-dadaptation-a-une-crise-sans-precedent-1185041?fbclid=IwAR1XpTumNS3lbAEF5xSerzkvN5ucca4fo6hir6rOQY6CN8XiihKDZ78ors0

More announcements to come I'm sure.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

ual763

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:57 pm

LTCM wrote:
Ciel wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Aa is next in line.

South America hasn't been hit as hard as others. Delta and United's bread and butter areas are getting the brunt of the virus.

Well, considering the President of Brazil just tested positive, and ALSO that AA has announced massive reductions to Latin America flights, I think it’s pretty safe to say that South America, and AA will be hit just as hard.

UAPS

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Ukraine: from day after tomorrow borders will be closed for all nationalities. preliminary for 2 weeks - but who knows

reply1984

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:06 pm

After US, starting from Tuesday midnight, Hong Kong asks all travellers from the Schengen Area to take quarantine for 14 days. Those from serious areas(such as Northern Italy) will be placed in isolated camps provided by the government. It seems that HK allows travellors from South Korea to enter HK but still requires a 14-day quarantine.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/ ... angeable=0

More countries may follow HK to extend travel restrictions to the entire Schengen Area.

COEWR787

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:09 pm

reply1984 wrote:
More countries may follow HK to extend travel restrictions to the entire Schengen Area.

India has already done it for both the US and Schengen, and several more.

kipfilet

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:24 pm

British Airways fighting for survival according to CEO
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... 101Z2?il=0

ChrisNH38

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Air France using 77Ws to/from BOS, up from 789s just last week.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

macc

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:34 pm

Czech republic announced complete travel ban as if Monday. No foreigners in, no Czech people out.

Austria bans all flights to France, Spain and Switzerland.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

PixelFlight

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:45 pm

Swiss government, with immediate effect, close borders form anyone that don't have a legal document to enter.
My understanding is that the aircraft can still fly but passengers need to have the right paper to enter in Switzerland.
Last edited by PixelFlight on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:stirthepot: 737-8 MAX: "For all speeds higher than 220 Kts and trim set at a value of 2.5 units, the difficulity level of turning the manual trim wheel was level A (trim wheel not movable)." :stirthepot:

FluidFlow

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:47 pm

PixelFlight wrote:
Swiss government, with immediate, effect close borders form anyone that don't have a legal document to enter.
My understanding is that the aircraft can still fly but passengers need to have the right paper to enter in Switzerland.

Transfer is possible though and also you can enter if you have residency abroad but work in Switzerland.

UpNAWAy

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:56 pm

This is going to be worse for aviation than 9/11.

enilria

Lufthansa to apply for German state aid to weather the fallout from the coronavirus outbreak

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:56 pm

MODS: This needs its own thread, not part of the Coronavirus thread, otherwise the site will become just one thread.

I would assume LH is making the case that they will need to file bankruptcy if they do not get aid.

German flagship carrier Lufthansa (LHAG.DE) said on Friday it is planning to request state aid from several European governments to weather the fallout from the coronavirus outbreak.

“Lufthansa will contact the governments of its home markets for liquidity support,” a spokesman for the airline told Reuters.

Chief Executive Carsten Spohr will take part in a meeting between German Chancellor Angela Merkel and industry bosses on the coronavirus on Friday, a person familiar with the plans told Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2102AT
Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Clickbait title

sabby

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:01 pm

We are way too late for closing country borders, should have been done a month ago if not more. Now, it is spread everywhere. Numbers are lower than actual because not enough testing plus a lot of the infected either are in incubation or just carriers. If all the countries stopped flights to/from china in January, it may have been contained to only China.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:06 pm

The FAA and White House need to facilitate repatriation of those in Europe. To do otherwise simply demonstrates they are buffoons.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

JustSomeDood

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:11 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
The FAA and White House need to facilitate repatriation of those in Europe. To do otherwise simply demonstrates they are buffoons.

If nothing else they could pay stupid $$ for the flights to backdoor subsidy the US airlines for their tanking revenues...

onwFan

Re: Lufthansa Asks for Bailout from EU/Germany

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:13 pm

How ironical that this happens just two days after they criticized LOT for state aid!

f4f3a

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Hope all airlines need aid to stay afloàt. Also any tourism industry to weather the storm

dcajet

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:18 pm

ual763 wrote:
LTCM wrote:
Ciel wrote:

Well, considering the President of Brazil just tested positive, and ALSO that AA has announced massive reductions to Latin America flights, I think it’s pretty safe to say that South America, and AA will be hit just as hard.

Turned out to be fake news (or a botched test?); he has tested negative. Regarding the reductions to AA's South American flying, I'd not call them massive, yet. Argentina is off the list until May due to a mandate from the Argentinian government. So far, they have suspended GRU-DFW/LAX, DFW-SCL and MIA-MVD, and reduced frequencies on the JFK-GRU route.

That said, I'd expect more measures like Argentina's over the next few days. Peru just banned all European flights for an indefinite period.
Last edited by dcajet on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

AstanaMagic

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:22 pm

I’m sure the Germans will call it “legal” state aid, and then phooey anyone else who gets it
2020: AGP, KSQ, LGW, LHR, MXP, SVQ, TAS, XRY, ZRH
A/C: 32B, 32S, 752, 763, E90
A/L: BA, HY, LX, 2L

enilria

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:22 pm

f4f3a wrote:
Hope all airlines need aid to stay afloàt. Also any tourism industry to weather the storm

The problem is that EVERYBODY needs aid. Too many people are being affected. Restaurants, bars, retail, travel, tourism, airlines, sports, schools, etc. ...it's everybody but Netflix.

enilria

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:24 pm

AstanaMagic wrote:
I’m sure the Germans will call it “legal” state aid, and then phooey anyone else who gets it

They can use the State aid to hire lobbyists to petition the govt to ban Qatar Airways from flying to Germany because they receive State aid.

FlyRow

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Ah well, we will call it a EU chapter 11.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

seahawk

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:36 pm

That request should be denied.

readytotaxi

British Airways is to ground flights 'like never before'.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:44 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51875271

BA boss Alex Cruz sent a video message to all staff on Friday warning jobs would go as a result of the impact of coronavirus on the airline's business.

More bad news still to come I think. :(
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

FCAFLYBOY

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:49 pm

kipfilet wrote:
British Airways fighting for survival according to CEO
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... 101Z2?il=0

Sorry but misleading - the email to staff was called survival
Of British Airways - NOT British Airways is fighting for survival...

Tough times ahead for all airlines with lay-offs enevitable but BA and many others will pull through.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos