Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Clackers

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:48 pm

How are Singapore Airlines coping with this virus?
Does anyone have updated route cancellations for SQ?

chepos

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:01 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
Here are some updates I’ve gathered from my sources at http://www.delta.com and http://www.airfrance.fr for travel beyond March 13:

DELTA AIR LINES maintains its’ 5x/weekly nonstop (Boeing 777) services to the French Capital from Los Angeles & v.v. after March 13, 2020.

Additionally, AIR FRANCE will maintain (up to 3x/daily) nonstop services between Paris and Los Angeles. AF will continue A380 and 777-200 services between the city pair.

Lastly, AF will maintain 3x/weekly nonstop 777-200 service between Los Angeles and Pape’ete. Eventually, Los Angeles could lose the AF-operated Pape’ete flight in favor of a new Paris/CDG - Pape’ete (via Vancouver) service.

Side note: As from 07:42 (PST) local time on 14 March, 2020, AF066 from CDG is currently en route to LAX. The A380 is expected to arrive with slight delay due to operational reasons.

So for some of you, that means yes, some European Airlines will maintain passenger services to the U.S.A.; even after the March 13 deadline.

DL announced yesterday flights to CDG on DL metal will operate 1 daily out of ATL/DTW.

Air France will operate 1 daily CDG-LAX, the 3 weekly CDG-LAX-PPT will continue. Sending 3 daily flights between CDG-LAX on AF alone in this landscape would be throwing money at a bonfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

FlyingElvii

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:13 pm

[i][/i]
hvusslax wrote:
Icelandair had 8 scheduled flights to the US today. Only 2 of these (MSP, MCO) have been cancelled while JFK, EWR, IAD, BOS, ORD, SEA are on time.

“The FISH must flow....”

frmrCapCadet

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:17 pm

It is not hysteria or irrational fears that is hurting airlines. It is a world wide pandemic with the potential of being as bad as the 1918 flu. Asia, US, EU and all the rest of governments will need to use all the economic tools to protect people, companies, and all levels lower government. Severe levels of social distancing for 8 weeks can break the spread. Slow ramping up after that. Meantime deliberate decisions on the part of all to ensure survival. Airlines are an essential element of our world economy. China, EU, and the US need to be talking and planning - unilateral irrational decisions are not helping.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

janders
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:
I'm curious as to why HNL is one of the approved airports for flights from Europe as they have no direct service. Adjacency to a large military facility perhaps?

Because its the same 11 existing screening airports used since the China ban.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

mxaxai

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:34 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
Here are some updates I’ve gathered from my sources at http://www.delta.com and http://www.airfrance.fr for travel beyond March 13:

DELTA AIR LINES maintains its’ 5x/weekly nonstop (Boeing 777) services to the French Capital from Los Angeles & v.v. after March 13, 2020.

Additionally, AIR FRANCE will maintain (up to 3x/daily) nonstop services between Paris and Los Angeles. AF will continue A380 and 777-200 services between the city pair.

Lastly, AF will maintain 3x/weekly nonstop 777-200 service between Los Angeles and Pape’ete. Eventually, Los Angeles could lose the AF-operated Pape’ete flight in favor of a new Paris/CDG - Pape’ete (via Vancouver) service.

Side note: As from 07:42 (PST) local time on 14 March, 2020, AF066 from CDG is currently en route to LAX. The A380 is expected to arrive with slight delay due to operational reasons.

So for some of you, that means yes, some European Airlines will maintain passenger services to the U.S.A.; even after the March 13 deadline.

Some searches indicate that DL will suspend services to Germany after Tuesday, March 17. On the other hand, their core TATL hub network between CDG, AMS, ATL and DTW remains bookable e. g. DL83 (CDG-ATL), DL73 (AMS-ATL) and DL135 (AMS-DTW).

ZazuPIT

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:37 pm

janders wrote:
ZazuPIT wrote:
I'm curious as to why HNL is one of the approved airports for flights from Europe as they have no direct service. Adjacency to a large military facility perhaps?

Because its the same 11 existing screening airports used since the China ban.

Ah..didn't think of that. Thanks.

readytotaxi

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:42 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Spain has just announced that from Monday morning it is forbidden to leave home unless strictly necessary. https://elpais.com/espana/2020-03-14/el ... mayor.html

I reckon that will mean cancelling all commercial flights to/from Spain.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

Jet2 flights to Spain turn round in mid-air over virus fears https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51887707

Spanish cases up by 1,500 in a day https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51888936
Reports of a shortage of ATC staff in Spain in some areas.
Last edited by readytotaxi on Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

ual763

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Wait, so let me get this straight. Delta sends out an internal memo, and then also confirmed it saying they would NOT fly to continental Europe, only UK would stand. Now, they’re still gonna fly to continental Europe?
From flying to the NOTAM office

blueflyer

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:45 pm

United is planning on flying its current TATL schedule for another week, then it will make deep cutbacks to mainland Europe starting March 20, with daily flights on:
EWR-BRU
EWR-FRA
EWR-ZRH
IAD-FRA
SFO-FRA
SFO-MUC
United also announced daily to CDG and AMS but the schedule does not reflect that (yet).

Blerg wrote:
From what I know Lufthansa will still keep on flying to EWR and ORD, Swiss as well. Austrian Airlines on the other hand will keep on flying to ORD. Despite dropping all flights to mainland Europe, Delta will keep on flying to London.

The Lufthansa Group announced the following schedule:
FRA/ZRH to EWR/ORD
BRU-IAD
VIE-ORD
But I still see other flights (e.g. FRA-DTW or ZRH/MUC-SFO) deep into March. I can't tell whether it is dynamically adjusting to demand or hasn't had time to update all the schedules (seats are open on the outliers)

Blerg

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:02 pm

blueflyer wrote:
United is planning on flying its current TATL schedule for another week, then it will make deep cutbacks to mainland Europe starting March 20, with daily flights on:
EWR-BRU
EWR-FRA
EWR-ZRH
IAD-FRA
SFO-FRA
SFO-MUC
United also announced daily to CDG and AMS but the schedule does not reflect that (yet).

Blerg wrote:
From what I know Lufthansa will still keep on flying to EWR and ORD, Swiss as well. Austrian Airlines on the other hand will keep on flying to ORD. Despite dropping all flights to mainland Europe, Delta will keep on flying to London.

The Lufthansa Group announced the following schedule:
FRA/ZRH to EWR/ORD
BRU-IAD
VIE-ORD
But I still see other flights (e.g. FRA-DTW or ZRH/MUC-SFO) deep into March. I can't tell whether it is dynamically adjusting to demand or hasn't had time to update all the schedules (seats are open on the outliers)

So UA will not be operating any ORD-Europe flights? I guess with plumetting demand LH and LX are enough.

Eikie

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:02 pm

ual763 wrote:
Wait, so let me get this straight. Delta sends out an internal memo, and then also confirmed it saying they would NOT fly to continental Europe, only UK would stand. Now, they’re still gonna fly to continental Europe?

Maybe bookable, but flown by KLM/af as they (for now) continue to fly to the US?

blueflyer

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:04 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
I think bookings come back far quicker than after 9/11. For months, even years thereafter, people were terrified about the prospect of a terrorist trying to take down their plane, such as the shoe bomber incident. Not so once the coronavirus fears abate, particularly once an effective treatment or vaccine becomes available - I think you'll see demand come roaring back.

I agree that it'll come back faster, but I don't know that it will be "roaring." My leadership has already told me they expect we will fly around more than usual when the situation normalizes as our clients apparently plan on not only going right back to work but making up for lost time. For every company that quickly returns to pre-crisis flying levels, there will be one that will have discovered it can run its business as efficiently with employees working from home and using teleconference.

mxaxai

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Eikie wrote:
ual763 wrote:

Maybe bookable, but flown by KLM/af as they (for now) continue to fly to the US?

No, those bookable flights are filed as "operated by DL". Could be a case of database not yet updated but again plenty of other European destinations are no longer bookable, so some of the changes are definitely in the system.

icelander

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Reuters are saying that the UK and Ireland are to be added to the travel ban.

This was on the BBC News channel. I’m looking for an online reference. White House press conference due in next few minutes

Midwestindy

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:27 pm

icelander wrote:

This was on the BBC News channel. I’m looking for an online reference. White House press conference due in next few minutes

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... 110UU?il=0

Terrible news for BA/AA
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

icelander

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Thanks Midwestindy. I was just about to add that to my post! Good that we have a reference, and not a rumour.

dcajet

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:29 pm

US extends travel ban to the UK & Ireland as Covid-19 cases top 1,000 in the UK

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/14/us-exten ... -12398369/
Keep calm and wash your hands.

ck8msp

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:33 pm

UK flights will stop Monday from/to US. Just announced by President Trump from White House Briefing.

B747forever

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:33 pm

Yup, the President just confirmed that the UK and Ireland will be added to the ban.
Work Hard, Fly Right

chepos

Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
icelander wrote:

Terrible news for BA/AA

I would assume this is pretty distressing for VS as well. The way things are going, maybe by next week US carriers will be operating solely domestic routes as more countries go into lockdown and borders are closed

Last edited by chepos on Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fly the Flag!!!!

B747forever

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Also restrictions to US domestic flights are considered to/from certain hotspot areas.
Work Hard, Fly Right

IrishTexan

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:45 pm

Midnight Monday EST embargo on UK/IRL per Mike Pence VP right now at live press conference.

JetBuddy

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Vice President Pence just announced a travel ban from the UK and Ireland starting midnight Monday night.

American overseas can still come home, but will be funneled through certain airports.

I think the interpretation is Monday 16th of March at 00:00. But I'm not sure.
Last edited by JetBuddy on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arion640

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Bad news for US Carriers and BA/VS/EI. A lot of AA long haul fleet will have to be parked and practically the majority of BA’s and Virgins.

EI don’t fly anywhere but the US and Canada on long haul!
Last edited by Arion640 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAH4546

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:02 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:

Because they are a major Asia gateway. The original 11 were the same 11 permitted Asia flights. That’s why Miami and Boston, the second and third largest European gateways, were missing but have now been added.
a.

bennett123

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:04 pm

16:52
Breaking
US travel ban from UK and Ireland confirmed
The ban on travel to the US from UK and Ireland will begin at 00:00 Eastern time on Monday (04:00 GMT on Tuesday), US Vice-President Mike Pence has confirmed.
He said US citizens and US legal residents would still be able to return to the US from those countries after the ban came into effect.
They would be "funnelled through specific airports" and told to self-quarantine, he said.

How many flights will be required just for US citizens?.

AFAIK, there are no flights from UK pre 0400.

wxman11

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:09 pm

Today, Interjet (4O) flights from US to Mexico (most of them anyway) have been cancelled. It appears the flight from Canada seem to be ok for the moment.

AirAfreak

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:17 pm

chepos wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:

DL announced yesterday flights to CDG on DL metal will operate 1 daily out of ATL/DTW.

Air France will operate 1 daily CDG-LAX, the 3 weekly CDG-LAX-PPT will continue. Sending 3 daily flights between CDG-LAX on AF alone in this landscape would be throwing money at a bonfire.

DL118 LAX CDG is still bookable for travel date 26 March, for example, at a one-way fare of $1,424.00 in Main Cabin as of 10:09 a.m. PST (14 March) DL118 is operated by DELTA AIR LINES and not AF.

As of 10:18 a.m. PST (14 March) AF66/AF72/AF76 are all scheduled on travel date 21 March, for example, making this 3 nonstop CDG-LAX flights operating on the same day. Some days will see 1 daily, 2 daily, and 3 daily AF CDGLAX flights which is why I was careful to write “up to” 3x/daily flights.
Last edited by AirAfreak on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

ZazuPIT

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:17 pm

This is getting exponentially worse hourly it seems. With no travel from UK and Ireland, seems a matter of time before flying is going to grind to a halt.

People are starting to panic. I was out before 8:00 a.m. here in Nashville. Passed by an ATM machine and at least a dozen cars waiting to use. That's not normal. I don't see it improving this year, maybe not even next.

AirAfreak

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:21 pm

mxaxai wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:

Some searches indicate that DL will suspend services to Germany after Tuesday, March 17. On the other hand, their core TATL hub network between CDG, AMS, ATL and DTW remains bookable e. g. DL83 (CDG-ATL), DL73 (AMS-ATL) and DL135 (AMS-DTW).

DL118 LAX CDG is still bookable for travel date 26 March, for example, at a one-way fare of $1,424.00 in Main Cabin as of 10:09 a.m. PST (14 March) DL118 is operated by DELTA AIR LINES and not AF.

mugler

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:21 pm

wxman11 wrote:
Today, Interjet (4O) flights from US to Mexico (most of them anyway) have been cancelled. It appears the flight from Canada seem to be ok for the moment.

Where are you seeing this? I know 4O 2961 MIA-MEX is cancelled but it shows on-time on google and MIA's website.

onwFan

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:27 pm

chepos wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
icelander wrote:

Terrible news for BA/AA

I would assume this is pretty distressing for VS as well. The way things are going, maybe by next week US carriers will be operating solely domestic routes as more countries go into lockdown and borders are closed

True. As a matter of fact, I think this might be the nail on the coffin for VS. BA/IAG will survive in one form or the other. Saw that IAG was requesting expedited decision on the acquisition of Air Europa. If that is approved, we can expect some form of combination of IB/UX to survive. I am truly shocked at what civil aviation has been reduced to this week!

alberchico

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:28 pm

I know that the EU is opposed to state aid to private companies, but if this crisis continues i think airlines would be in their right to demand some kind of financial relief. Does anyone think a massive rescue package might be approved for business sectors hardest hit by this ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

KingB123

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:34 pm

alberchico wrote:
I know that the EU is opposed to state aid to private companies, but if this crisis continues i think airlines would be in their right to demand some kind of financial relief. Does anyone think a massive rescue package might be approved for business sectors hardest hit by this ?

This is a dangerous precedent. If we couldn’t save flybe (UK regional airline) why should we fund the private for profit only companies who screw their consumers backwards. They’ve got their money reserves. They should use those to navigate the storm.
King B

AirAfreak

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Eikie wrote:
ual763 wrote:

DL118 LAX CDG is bookable for travel dates 26 March and 12 April, for example, as of 10:29 a.m. PST (14 March) DL118 is operated by DELTA AIR LINES.

DL118 LAX CDG is operated by DELTA
DL8553 LAX CDG is operated by AIR FRANCE

The difference between the two DL flight numbers in the example above, are the clear indicators that DELTA is still planning to operate their own metal from Los Angeles to Paris at the time of this posting.

mxaxai

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:36 pm

alberchico wrote:

EU states are free to distribute fair support to businesses, they just mustn't show preference to any single company.
Someone83 wrote:
EU is opening up for a number of ways to provide state supported liquidity assistance, including to airlines

https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_ ... id_19.html

readytotaxi

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:36 pm

Orlando is going to take a hit, also Virgin Holidays does great business for the airline selling package holidays there. Happening just before the Easter break gonna be make for many unhappy families. Theme parks closed, empty hotels and restaurants, sad times.

madpropsyo

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:37 pm

KingB123 wrote:
alberchico wrote:

This is a dangerous precedent. If we couldn’t save flybe (UK regional airline) why should we fund the private for profit only companies who screw their consumers backwards. They’ve got their money reserves. They should use those to navigate the storm.

And what happens when they all go out of business?

chepos

Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:39 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
Eikie wrote:
ual763 wrote:

DL118 LAX CDG is bookable for travel dates 26 March and 12 April, for example, as of 10:29 a.m. PST (14 March) DL118 is operated by DELTA AIR LINES.

DL118 LAX CDG is operated by DELTA
DL8553 LAX CDG is operated by AIR FRANCE

The difference between the two DL flight numbers in the example above, are the clear indicators that DELTA is still planning to operate their own metal from Los Angeles to Paris at the time of this posting.

A schedule change may not have been loaded yet. Airlines announce a flight or cut a flight and it is not updated immediately. Once a schedule change is run the changes are reflected in the system. But if you insist DL is operating LAX-CDG on 3/26 it’s OK by me.

Fly the Flag!!!!

PANAMsterdam

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:41 pm

Clackers wrote:

From Luchtvaartnieuws.nl

- Severe cuts in European network
- As of March 15 Singapore (country) will block anyone who has been in France, Germany, Italy or Spain in the past 14 days from entering or transiting.
- Citizens of Singapore who have been in these countries will be allowed in but are forced into a 14 day self quarantine.
- As of March 8: All flights to/from MXP canceled
- As of March 14: All flights to/from FCO canceled
- As of March 16: All flights to/from CDG, DUS, MUC, FRA canceled
- Flights mentioned will restart by the end of May, with the exception of 1 flight to/from CDG which will restart on March 28

Edit: Typo: SQ flights to Milan are canceled. MXP is Milan's code, not MSP.
Last edited by PANAMsterdam on Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

wxman11

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:47 pm

mugler wrote:

Where are you seeing this? I know 4O 2961 MIA-MEX is cancelled but it shows on-time on google and MIA's website.

Did you check Interjet website???

I see it cancelled in the system. ;)

BAINY3

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:52 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
Clackers wrote:

From Luchtvaartnieuws.nl

- As of March 15 Singapore (country) will block anyone who has been in France, Germany, Italy or Spain in the past 14 days from entering or transiting.
- Citizens of Singapore who have been in these countries will be allowed in but are forced into a 14 day self quarantine.
- As of March 8: All flights to/from MSP canceled
- Flights mentioned will restart by the end of May, with the exception of 1 flight to/from CDG which will restart on March 28

I assume you meant MXP.

VS11

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Not to downplay the severity of what’s happening but with aggressive measures by summer things could be gradually returning to normal. It is 2-3 months of severe revenue contraction but most airlines should be able to get through. I am sure there will be emergency lines of credit extended if needed.

PANAMsterdam

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:59 pm

BAINY3 wrote:
I assume you meant MXP.

You are correct. Sorry about that mistake, i have edited it.
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

curlyheadboy

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:06 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
Clackers wrote:

From Luchtvaartnieuws.nl

- As of March 8: All flights to/from MXP canceled

Edit: Typo: SQ flights to Milan are canceled. MXP is Milan's code, not MSP.

I have a booking with them for a MXP-SIN-MNL flight (it was due on apr 25). After they cancelled MXP they rebooked me via FRA, and after people from Italy have been banned in Singapore, they gave me an open ticket to utilize on my choice within 12 months. In alternative they offered me a full refund but I took the open ticket both to support them and give myself a little positive thinking. BTW, their call center was outstanding in managing this fast and kindly. I hope they survive this, more because I think they're an outstanding airline than for the money I may lose if they go bust.
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

32andBelow

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:07 pm

VS11 wrote:
Not to downplay the severity of what’s happening but with aggressive measures by summer things could be gradually returning to normal. It is 2-3 months of severe revenue contraction but most airlines should be able to get through. I am sure there will be emergency lines of credit extended if needed.

Smart airlines with cash could knock out all their overhauls deferred maint and paint right now.

B757rocket

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Has anyone heard what jetBlue is planning on doing? There have not been any announcements from what I can find.

I have been pulling up routings on their website starting Monday the 16th onwards from both Boston and NYC. Judging by the seat maps ( I know not the greatest indicator) the flights are nearly empty. One flight from JFK to LAX had all seats available in both cabins with 12 either blocked or taken.
It’s very unnerving and worrisome for those of us in the industry.

Best regards and health to everyone.

readytotaxi

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:13 pm

BBC news is reporting that Jet2 has cancelled all flights to the Canary Islands today. However at the moment there are 18 jets on route there, I guess they are empty and are going to pickup returning passengers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos