Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

onwFan

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:15 pm

VS to cut flights by 80% and terminate LHR-EWR permanently with immediate effect:
https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... -of-fleet/

Olddog

Rumour:AF-KLM about to get state injection of cash?

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:19 pm

I heard on TV in France that due to the coronavirus crisis, the french state is about to buy back a lot of AF-KLM shares. And I suppose that The Netherland will do the same.

Galwayman

Re: Discussion: Troubles for European Airline Groups, IAG, AFKLM, LH-Group

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:26 pm

GCT64 wrote:
hooverman wrote:
astuteman wrote:

As a point of order, IAG have specifically NOT bid for state aid, and in fact are resisting such an approach at present

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51904769

Rgds

They haven't yet. Once the aid starts flowing they will hold their hands up like all airlines will. Just my :twocents:

IAG have been very explicit that they do not think that state aid should go to airlines.
Of course, if VS succeeds in getting aid then you cannot expect BA not to also seek support - that would be foolish.
Personally as a UK taxpayer, I'm against VS getting state aid, plenty of other businesses (especially small ones) need it as much or more than VS and airlines shouldn't be a special case.

VS is essentially owned by Delta . It should get absolutely nothing from the U.K. tax payer

Gingersnap

Re: Rumour:AF-KLM about to get state injection of cash?

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:28 pm

Would that break EU state aid rules?
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

VSMUT

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:29 pm

Gingersnap wrote:

I'm pretty sure those rules are being temporarily suspended, lest we have no airlines at all in half a years time.

bennett123

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:30 pm

Interesting that the route wasn’t just suspended.

Will it switch to DL?.

Midwestindy

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Norwegian now cutting 85% of flights and lay off 90% of employees

This situation is evolving rapidly

https://onemileatatime.com/norwegian-cancels-flights/
"The airline will fly primarily domestically within Norway, and between Nordic capitals
Some European flights will still be operated
All intercontinental flights are canceled, except flights between Scandinavia and Thailand, which will operate through the end of March"
Last edited by Midwestindy on Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

readytotaxi

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Sad news, G-CIVM BA 747 on route to the scrapper now.

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW9171/2433c3b1

Was not due to go until Jan 21. :cry:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

asdf

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:42 pm

The Lufthansa subsidiary Austrian Airlines and the Ryanair subsidiary Laudamotion are completely stopping their flight operations due to the corona virus. This shows that air traffic at Vienna Airport will soon be reduced to almost zero passengers. The AUA has two planes - a long-haul and a medium-haul jet - ready for repatriation flights.

As an Austrian airline, we are aware of our responsibility and will work with the government to try to bring as many Austrians home as possible, ”AUA boss Alexis von Hoensbroech said in the broadcast. In the next few days, the airline will increasingly carry out return flights and will also use the offer of the parent company Lufthansa to rebook. The relief flights would be carried out in close cooperation with the Austrian government, it said.

Stranded Austrians can contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The AUA is in contact with the Foreign Office to clarify the implementation of further return flights for Austrians abroad.

Austrian therefore asks all Austrians who have been stranded abroad, provided they do not have a valid return flight ticket and want to go home, to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs hotline: +43 1 90115 4411.

source:
https://www.krone.at/2117984
Last edited by asdf on Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dutchy

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:43 pm

Gingersnap wrote:

There are exceptions to rules and we live in exceptional times.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

SpectralK

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:43 pm

Gingersnap wrote:

Didn't seem to be a problem for Alitalia. :duck:

alexwm

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:47 pm

How do you all think the Singapore Airlines group (SQ and MI) will handle the following measures that enter in place on Monday 23:59h?

- All Singaporeans, residents and long-term visa holders traveling from any ASEAN country will need to be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival to Singapore
- All travelers from ASEAN countries will need to request authorization and submit a medical declaration form to be allowed to travel to Singapore. Upon arrival, they’ll also need to be quarantined for 14 days

To me they both pose a huge barrier to travel from any ASEAN country, which must account for a large proportion of traffic in Changi. However, connecting traffic will still be allowed.

As a side note, I just landed in Singapore traveling from Lombok, Indonesia (LOP) on MI and the flight was completely packed, probably as all folks residing in Singapore wanted to land before the quarantine measures are put in place.

Gingersnap

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Gingersnap wrote:

There are exceptions to rules and we live in exceptional times.

Sure.

I mean it's not like most of the EU ever paid much attention to the rules that didn't suit them.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

CLJFlyer

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:48 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Got a call from my global account rep for a top 3 freight forwarder earlier. He said they're being told by some airlines that they will continue running their passenger aircraft with no passengers TATL and just fill up with cargo at premium prices to try to offset fixed costs.

As a company with a lot of pharmaceuticals (WIP and FG) moving TATL, that would be stupendous for us. We're willing to pay the prices; we just need legit options to move cargo.

China wasn't really an issue for us in the US (it was for my European colleagues). We had basically no real issues getting cargo TPAC; heck on one lane we aren't even paying above our normal contracted rate (CA JFK-PEK). But this... this is no bueno for us. My entire day has been a nightmare of trying to figure out what we even need to request in terms of BSAs, part charters, full charters, etc.

If charters were running as high as $800k one-way on the TPAC before last night, this move is going to drive one-way charters on the TATL north of $2 mil, I'd bet.

Univ of TN Supply Chain graduate here...I work for a company with a situation similar to yours. Our lanes TPAC are cheaper than actual contracted rates right now. Our lanes TATL are about to sky rocket in price. Our forwarders only use pax airplanes to move cargo TATL. We are in the midst of running computer generated scenarios to see where we stand.

Just to give you an idea, my company spends over 35 million dollars shipping parcel in NAM annually with just one company. We are a global company so as you can imagine this is going to have a big impact on our operations and cost of operating.

uta999

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:49 pm

Is there a link to FlightRadar24 to see the total number of flights each day, showing the rapid decline of the past few weeks?
Your computer just got better

chepos

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:49 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Interesting that the route wasn’t just suspended.

Will it switch to DL?.

Most probably it just won’t be operated. At this point airlines are not going to be adding flights, they are dropping flights. LHR-EWR will be operated by UA/BA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

avier

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:50 pm

Per some news I saw on TV, Malaysia Airlines has warned it employees of a possible bankruptcy. If anyone has more info, please do share.

petertenthije

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:54 pm

par13del wrote:
In past threads we have heard about the differences between the USA and Europe where the social safety in Europe is much more extensive.
If the airlines in Europe are not flying and staff are laid off, will they immediately receive state aid in which case that salary burden on the airlines are minimized?
It differs from country to country. There is no pan-European system.

Fortunately it's been a while that I've been in this situation, but going from memory from a few years ago for the Netherlands:
  • If you are in your trial period, you can be fired on the spot.
  • If you got a temporary contract, the contract can be disbanded but at a penalty.
  • If you got a fixed contract, the employer can't simply fire you unless they can prove the company's future is legitimately threatened. In the current situation, this would probably not be a problem for the airlines.
  • Someone with a fixed contract can still be let go even if the company is not threatened, but in that case both the company and the employee would have to agree to it. Typically the employee would receive half a month's salary for each year the employee worked there.

In all these cases the (former) employee would receive unemployment benefits from the government. These are 70% (I think) of the last earned wages for the first six (?) months. There might be a maximum to that sum. After those six months they are gradually decreased to minimum wage levels.

In addition to unemployment benefits the (former) employee might also qualify for other benefits if his/her wages drop below a certain figure (housing benefits, child-daycare benefits, etc)
Attamottamotta!

cathay747

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:57 pm

avier wrote:
Per some news I saw on TV, Malaysia Airlines has warned it employees of a possible bankruptcy. If anyone has more info, please do share.

I'm afraid, as I think most of us are by now, that MH will not be alone. I think we're going to see several airlines around the world go down the drain as a result of this.
Try a Little VC-10derness

dabc

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:01 pm

dabc wrote:
contractdog wrote:
dabc wrote:
Algeria will suspend all flights with Europe starting March 19

Suspension of all flight with Spain starts March 16

Suspension of all flights with France will start March 17

Flights are already suspended with Italy and Morocco

Do you have source regarding the European suspension from the 19th? I see up until yesterday, bizarrely there were STILL flights coming in from Rome to Algiers!

http://www.aps.dz/algerie/103075-corona ... r-de-jeudi

Flights will Africain subsaharian countries will also be suspended starting March 19

LHR01

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Air New Zealand have claimed there last flight from Heathrow will be on the 21 March 2020 according to the link below;
https://instagram.com/stories/zul_aviat ... pz6j080r3w

sabby

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:07 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
If we end up with a major recession, Govt will not have the money to bail every company out. Various things are critical to a country - eg law/order, education system, healthcare, military capable of defence from other countries/organisations wishing to take advantage, domestic transport system, gas/oil/electricity supply, etc...
Keeping one airline legally alive with enough core people to be able to expand back to normal size later in a major economy might be worthwhile until the economy recovers, but bailing out the whole aviation ecosystem just isn't possible

We already are. Things are now in motion that we'll see it get worse for the next 3-4 months at least. You are right that Government should focus on the basic sectors first. One of the reason the banks got bailed out in 2008 was that banks directly play the role of bearing the economy. While airlines play a pivotal role in international trades and economics, Governments around the world would be much more selective to bail them out. Other than the city states, most countries would have to infuse large amount of cash into the food, agriculture, health care sectors and the small businesses first.

MIflyer12

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Galwayman wrote:
VS is essentially owned by Delta . It should get absolutely nothing from the U.K. tax payer

I guess they should just terminate the employees and park the aircraft of the 51% of VS not owned by Delta, right?

alo2yyz

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:27 pm

EU Commission is proposing a 30-day ban on non-essential travel to the Schengen area by those without Schengen/EU passports.
Source: https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/ ... 0152857607

flyingbird

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:27 pm

uta999 wrote:
Is there a link to FlightRadar24 to see the total number of flights each day, showing the rapid decline of the past few weeks?

Total tracking numbers available at https://www.flightradar24.com/data/statistics

Commercial flights available at https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 9426573312

Some more numbers available at https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:30 pm

Delta widebody fleet en-route en-masse to MZJ today

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KMZJ/enroute

marcelh

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Gingersnap wrote:
I mean it's not like most of the EU ever paid much attention to the rules that didn't suit them.

We are facing probably the biggest crisis in Europe since 1945, so this isn't much about "not paying attention to rules that didn't suit them".

RvA

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Galwayman wrote:
GCT64 wrote:
hooverman wrote:

They haven't yet. Once the aid starts flowing they will hold their hands up like all airlines will. Just my :twocents:

IAG have been very explicit that they do not think that state aid should go to airlines.
Of course, if VS succeeds in getting aid then you cannot expect BA not to also seek support - that would be foolish.
Personally as a UK taxpayer, I'm against VS getting state aid, plenty of other businesses (especially small ones) need it as much or more than VS and airlines shouldn't be a special case.

What nonsense is this? What about the employees? They are just meant to be made redundant then because the parent company is foreign? If you draw that line through a lot of people will be out of a job. Doesn’t sound ideal.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:45 pm

onwFan wrote:
VS to cut flights by 80% and terminate LHR-EWR permanently with immediate effect:

What an embarrassing cut for VS. I’m going to assume DL had something to do with this.

LAXdude1023

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:48 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
onwFan wrote:

What an embarrassing cut for VS. I’m going to assume DL had something to do with this.

Whats embarrassing about it? In times like these its far better to retrench into areas where an airline is strong. JFK covers that very well for them.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

FluidFlow

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pm

RvA wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
GCT64 wrote:

What nonsense is this? What about the employees? They are just meant to be made redundant then because the parent company is foreign? If you draw that line through a lot of people will be out of a job. Doesn’t sound ideal.

I think it will rather come to the point where a government aid package will be tied to a forced sale from Delta. If the state aid will be paired with the government buying shares it might result in Delta having to sell if they want to save VS.

JibberJim

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:58 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

I guess they should just terminate the employees and park the aircraft of the 51% of VS not owned by Delta, right?

If a business needs cash, it should approach lender or its owners, if it cannot get any cash from them, then it may well be appropriate for governments to provide cash to assist in the short term of survival of the business, of course these would either need to be loans, or as equity stakes. A government underwriting a rights issue might be an appropriate route, the original owners are diluted if they don't provide the cash, the government becomes the owner. Of course, given the amount of cash needed here, that may well significantly reduce the other owners share.

philipng

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:58 pm

Beginning 18 Mar till 31 Mar 2020, Malaysia bans its citizens from leaving and foreigners from entering the country. Malaysians who return must undergo self quarantine for 14 days.

https://twitter.com/channelnewsasia/sta ... 99904?s=21

Nicknuzzii

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:15 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
onwFan wrote:

Whats embarrassing about it? In times like these its far better to retrench into areas where an airline is strong. JFK covers that very well for them.

You don’t think it’s embarrassing they cut their first long haul route while it constantly had LFs in the 90s and was high yielding?

Prost

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Was.

We are in uncharted territory here. Have pride but lose untold amounts of money seems like a poor management choice.

LH748

Austrian to shut down from Wednesday

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Austrian just announced that they will suspend all operations from Wednesday.
https://twitter.com/_austrian/status/12 ... 45344?s=19

I'm still scheduled to fly UA/LH back from RSW to FRA via EWR and I'm wondering if those flights will remain if parts of the Lufthansa group are already shutting down.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

LTU932

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:24 pm

marcelh wrote:
Gingersnap wrote:

We are facing probably the biggest crisis in Europe since 1945, so this isn't much about "not paying attention to rules that didn't suit them".
Nonetheless, there are many instances where the EU turns a blind eye on nations not sticking to EU regulations, or announce sanctions that never happen, not just with certain current events going way back 5 years ago, but also ten years ago, e.g. when Germany partly nationalised the Commerzbank post-merger with Dresdner Bank, to prevent it from going bankrupt because it's "too big to fail". I believe the federal government still owns shares of it, and I don't think the EU has made a big fuss about the federal government being a shareholder of an otherwise private bank.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

AirbusOnly

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Lufthansa currently sends some A 340-600 from MUC to BGI to bring back stranded Germans from cruise ships and Caribbean back to Germany. D-AIHL and D-AIHL already arrived yesterday, D-AIHI and D-AIHV just departed in MUC. Additional two B 747-430 also were flown empty to BGI yesterday: D-ABVU and D-ABVR. Must be pretty full currently with parked widebodies at the apron of BGI

wexfordflyer

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

You don’t think it’s embarrassing they cut their first long haul route while it constantly had LFs in the 90s and was high yielding?

Look at what's going on in the world and look at the impact it's having on the aviation industry globally. The US is restricting travel from the UK, and the EU is looking to restrict all non-essential travel to Europe for 30 days.

Normal rules of engagement simply don't apply anymore. It's pure survival mode.

Your comment is the only thing that's embarrassing.
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

Midwestindy

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Projections & comparisons laid out by The Air Current

Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

VirginFlyer

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:41 pm

LHR01 wrote:
Air New Zealand have claimed there last flight from Heathrow will be on the 21 March 2020 according to the link below;
https://instagram.com/stories/zul_aviat ... pz6j080r3w

Except they haven’t:

We are also suspending our services between London and Los Angeles from 20 March (from Los Angeles) and 21 March (from London Heathrow) through to 30 June.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travel- ... 3yRLUsCrvh

Of course if the reductions extend past June that may end up being the case, but it isn’t yet.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

davidjohnson6

Re: Austrian to shut down from Wednesday

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:45 pm

If you have a German passport (or German residency) and are flying on Tuesday or Wednesday, you will probably be ok - but no guarantee. If you are flying Thursday or later, you may well be stranded

If Germany is your home, probably best to pay up and get yourself home sooner rather than later. Definitely get yourself to NYC as quickly as possible

Asiaflyer

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:47 pm

alexwm wrote:
How do you all think the Singapore Airlines group (SQ and MI) will handle the following measures that enter in place on Monday 23:59h?

- All Singaporeans, residents and long-term visa holders traveling from any ASEAN country will need to be quarantined for 14 days upon arrival to Singapore
- All travelers from ASEAN countries will need to request authorization and submit a medical declaration form to be allowed to travel to Singapore. Upon arrival, they’ll also need to be quarantined for 14 days

To me they both pose a huge barrier to travel from any ASEAN country, which must account for a large proportion of traffic in Changi. However, connecting traffic will still be allowed.

As a side note, I just landed in Singapore traveling from Lombok, Indonesia (LOP) on MI and the flight was completely packed, probably as all folks residing in Singapore wanted to land before the quarantine measures are put in place.

Singapore has been one of the most successful countries in fighting Corona, so it’s just logic that they protect the self from visitors from other countries to prevent further virus spread.
Not fun for SQ and MI but inevitable IMO.

flipdewaf

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:48 pm

marcelh wrote:
Gingersnap wrote:

I'm sure they flybe workers understand completely the situation.....Everyone thinks THEY are a special case.

Fred

Atlwarrior

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:50 pm

This bodes well for Delta as well.

dcajet

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Somewhat late compared to the rest of its neighbors. Chile closes all borders (air/land/sea) for 2 weeks beginning March 18th.

https://twitter.com/NuevoPudahuel/statu ... 9336283137
Keep calm and wash your hands.

CALMSP

Re: Austrian to shut down from Wednesday

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:55 pm

I'd recommend trying to catch a flight tonight. I think we're going to run into a situation sooner rather than later that air travel will be suspended in the U.S.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:01 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Look at what's going on in the world and look at the impact it's having on the aviation industry globally. The US is restricting travel from the UK, and the EU is looking to restrict all non-essential travel to Europe for 30 days.

Normal rules of engagement simply don't apply anymore. It's pure survival mode.

Your comment is the only thing that's embarrassing.

Please get back to me in a month when VS is under because they couldn’t make the right business decisions in a tough time.

32andBelow

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Why are they moving all the planes to the desert. Can’t they literally just leave them at the gate at this point.