Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mxaxai

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:46 pm

The ILA Berlin air show (scheduled May 13 to 17) is officially cancelled as a result of Covid restrictions.
https://www.ila-berlin.de/en

Farnborough Airshow is scheduling a (virtual) event for exhibitors on March 24 for further discussion, but the airshow is not cancelled yet.
https://www.farnboroughairshow.com/news ... ay-update/

lowwkjax

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:07 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
Commercial aviation industry (and the hospitality, in general) saved in Denmark

The Danish government has just released a virtually bottomless pit of support for "especially endangered parts of the industry", pledging to pay up to 80% of their fixed costs, if they stand to lose more than 40% of revenues due to the Wuhan* virus.

This covers transportation (airlines, taxies, busses), hotels, travel agencies, incoming bureau's etc. It will be a direct grant, not loans and not subject to e.g. exchanging share in return for aid. This comes on top of promising to pay between 75% and 90% of the salaries of staff members, provided there are no lay-offs (the balance up to full pay to be paid by the companies). No limit has been set on the amount the government will spend; "whatever it takes" is the message.

Other rescues packages for small (less than 10 employees) business have also been launched today, promising to pay up to USD 3600 per month in salaries.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you rescue a society.

*Time to call a spade for a spade, no reason to drag the name of an innocent producer of beer through the mud.

This is a population smaller than South Florida alone so just putting it out there for those that might have trouble understanding scale :)
Apart from this that's pretty awesome. Definitely puts mind at ease for a lot of people.

What’s your point? I hate this arrogant “look, you’re just a few people, we in the US are so much more and so much better...” way of almost talking down to others.

Yes, smaller population, but that also means less taxes, and so on, so it’s still kind of the same situation. And it’s not a secret that Europe has always been more “social” than the US (which I don’t mean in a bad way, it’s not always a good thing, but in this case, I definitely am happy and glad to be Austrian/European).

MIflyer12

Re: Porter Airlines (PD/POE) suspending all flights at the end of the week. Planned to resume flying June 1.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:13 pm

zkojq wrote:
What's the longest that an airline has suspended operations for and then successfully recommenced them as the same legal entity? Wishing Porter employees all the best.

That's a good question. I wonder what examples people will cite as precedent.

Carriers can't recognize revenue until passengers are flown, so no ops = zero operating revenue. And, who's going to buy a ticket for future travel on a carrier that's not operating?

Kilopond

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:16 pm

Ryanair will almost seize operations from Tuesday, March 24th. Only some essential services between the UK and Ireland will remain.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0 ... r-flights/

ADDED: The biannual ILA airshow has been canceled. It was scheduled for mid-May in Berlin.

https://www.ifn.news/posts/ila-berlin-a ... ronavirus/
Last edited by Kilopond on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontf284000

Re: Porter Airlines (PD/POE) suspending all flights at the end of the week. Planned to resume flying June 1.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:17 pm

More and more airlines are going to have to do this in order to survive. It's unfortunate that employees will be without pay for several months, but if they don't suspend operations, then these same employees will be out of work permanently. Hopefully, many have at least two months' salary saved up.

piedmontf284000

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Kilopond wrote:
Ryanair will almost seize operations from Tuesday, March 24th. Only some essential services between the UK and Ireland will remain.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0 ... r-flights/
ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
Porter suspending flights until June.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/eporter.flypor ... index.html

Easyjet asked crew to take 3 months unpaid leave. With Unions. I've seen mail but cant share, not sure if its wider knowledge yet.

Most airlines are going to be forced into suspending operations, otherwise, they will be closing their doors permanently. It's a sad state of affairs, but airline employees (among many other broad spectrums of labor) are going to be without pay for several months. Hopefully, people have enough saved to get through the next several months.

klakzky123

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:26 pm

Didn't Austrian do the same thing the other day? I suspect airlines will conclude that it is better to temporarily shut down rather than operate empty flights. Especially now that borders are closing, you'll see this ramp up quickly.

qm001

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 pm

This is by far the best, and only way a regional carrier can survive!
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!

kd9gy

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:40 pm

And to make matters worse MDW (Midway Airport, Chicago) is still virtually shut down. The Elgin Tracon is handling flights to MDW 'until they are in visual range' and then use the tower frequency as a local Unicom. As such, Southwest is shutdown there, and in the last 30 minutes, I've seen only a single Piper cub take off. (10:30 CDT)

Winterapfel

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Schiphol will reduce to two piers (D and E) and one departures terminal.

Other piers will be used as parking area

Miamiairport

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:50 pm

The US because of it's size and population has a far bigger domestic operation than other countries. However, I think it's common knowledge the real money maker for the Big3 is credit card fees and after fees International flights. If the US airlines are reduced to flying around half full 737s and narrow body Airbuses domestically they aren't going to last very long without ongoing government support. Not to mention far less people to hawk credit cards towards. And the ULCC I really see in a world of hurt. Uncle Sam might spend tens if not hundreds of billions to save UA, AA, DL, WN; maybe B6, AS and maybe, maybe Spirit. The others will be left to die.

Jamake1

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Under the circumstances, I think all airlines should be doing this.
Come fly the sun.

hiflyeras

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Flight crews are getting concerned about working in a Petri dish. Some are actually hospitalized with covid-19. Layover hotels are about to close. It may not be long before airlines have no choice but to shut down.
Last edited by hiflyeras on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kd9gy

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:56 pm

I stand corrected. A SWA from St. Louis just arrived at MDW, and another flight is preparing to take off. Maybe they reopened the tower. (10:55 CDT)

dr1980

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Wow June 1st...that’s a sobering date!
Dave/CYHZ

greenair727

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
....Uncle Sam might spend tens if not hundreds of billions to save UA, AA, DL, WN; maybe B6, AS and maybe, maybe Spirit. The others will be left to die.

I get the general comment of legacies over ULCCs though not sure how that is justifiable from a fairness perspective, though I get that DL is 1000x better than some other carriers on many fronts. But Why do you single out potentially saving Spirit over Frontier or Allegiant or the others? Is Spirit special in some way?

jetmatt777

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
Flight crews are getting concerned about working in a Petri dish. Some are actually hospitalized with covid-19. Layover hotels are about to close. It may not be long before airlines have no choice but to shut down.

It's not just flight crews. Customer service and ramp are growing more and more hesitant to come to work.

peterinlisbon

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:11 pm

If everyone (in the world) just stayed at home for two weeks this whole problem would be over. Nobody should be even thinking of flying anywhere unless it's a real emergency.

chonetsao

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:17 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
The US because of it's size and population has a far bigger domestic operation than other countries. However, I think it's common knowledge the real money maker for the Big3 is credit card fees and after fees International flights. If the US airlines are reduced to flying around half full 737s and narrow body Airbuses domestically they aren't going to last very long without ongoing government support. Not to mention far less people to hawk credit cards towards. And the ULCC I really see in a world of hurt. Uncle Sam might spend tens if not hundreds of billions to save UA, AA, DL, WN; maybe B6, AS and maybe, maybe Spirit. The others will be left to die.

Domestic mainline operation (i.e. discount the regional flying) is actually profitable among US3. What makes a loss is the international operation. However, international flying can make a profit too if the airline use the paid aircraft (i.e. older aircraft, because the CASM is high when use a new aircraft). But you are right that the credit card fees and FFP department makes most of the profit.

The problem now is the razor thin margin is totally gone as the demand is way down which resulted in cash flow crisis. Airline has so little cash flow in coming weeks that any profitable marginal operation is disrupted.

What airline needs now is two things: 1, debt holiday and 2, cash flow injection.

Debt holiday is easy to understand. Airlines need to have debt forgiveness in the shut down period, and resume debt interests payment once operation go back to normal. In the same time, airline needs to have cash flow injection to pay for its staff while aircraft sits idle.

So ideally, airline would like the government to provide debt interests payment and delay mature debt. Then it also needs interests free loans to cover the fix staff costs. These are the minimum to keep the airline business going. Anything extra is icing on top of the cake.

cathay747

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:20 pm

greenair727 wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:
....Uncle Sam might spend tens if not hundreds of billions to save UA, AA, DL, WN; maybe B6, AS and maybe, maybe Spirit. The others will be left to die.

I get the general comment of legacies over ULCCs though not sure how that is justifiable from a fairness perspective, though I get that DL is 1000x better than some other carriers on many fronts. But Why do you single out potentially saving Spirit over Frontier or Allegiant or the others? Is Spirit special in some way?

I would say HA is far more "special" than any of them (ULCC's I mean) given that if HA were to collapse, there would be no inter-island air transport in Hawaii. I think that's pretty important.
Try a Little VC-10derness

Dominion301

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:22 pm

Prudent move by Porter. While anecdotal, I took a mid-morning YOW-YTZ flight with them on March 5th and the load was 80%. Imagine in the span of two weeks loads are now probably below 20%.

Weatherwatcher1

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm

cathay747 wrote:
greenair727 wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

I would say HA is far more "special" than any of them (ULCC's I mean) given that if HA were to collapse, there would be no inter-island air transport in Hawaii. I think that's pretty important.

Hawaiian and Alaska need to survive. Without them there is literally no one to carry the mail in Hawaii or Alaska.

ucdtim17

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm

jayunited wrote:
I am surprised the Australian government is allowing SFO-SYD and SFO-MEL to continue operating considering the level of the outbreak in San Francisco. The city of San Francisco under a lock down ordered by the mayor. Why Australia is still allowing flights from SFO is beyond me, if we suspend these flights now things could start to get back on track by July or August, but Australia needs to step up and say no, no more flights from SFO for the next month or more.

If UA wants to maintain flights to Australia they could easily keep either LAX or IAH -SYD running.

The whole Bay Area is under a shelter-in-place order, not just the city of San Francisco

32andBelow

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

Hawaiian and Alaska need to survive. Without them there is literally no one to carry the mail in Hawaii or Alaska.

There’s like a dozen mail carrier freight airlines in Alaska. But Alaska is gonna be just fine if they actually conserve cash. They have a lot of cash already. But 10% capacity cut is a little light.

leftyboarder

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:36 pm

IST shuts down 2 boarding areas and 2 piers, down to 3 piers (A, B for int’l and G for domestic):

http://wowturkey.com/tr823/igaspotter_IGA_COVID_19.jpg

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:43 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

There’s like a dozen mail carrier freight airlines in Alaska. But Alaska is gonna be just fine if they actually conserve cash. They have a lot of cash already. But 10% capacity cut is a little light.

The 10% capacity cut will go to 15% for May, and AS now has just over $2.0B in cash on hand, plus new capital that is in the process of being raised to further shore up liquidity.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Nicknuzzii

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:47 pm

Will travel rebound this winter after we peak in April?

cjg225

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Not sure if already posted here as this thread grows so fast, but hearing from a domestic ground transportation service provider that Long Island is considering a daylight-hours-only restriction for movement on the island as early as Friday.

That'll make cargo pickup/delivery nightmarish around JFK.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

30west

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:53 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
US closing borders with Canada. It will include all flights to and from Canada to the US

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/trump-s ... affic.html

Where does it say flights are suspended in that article, I am not seeing it ?

32andBelow

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:00 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

The 10% capacity cut will go to 15% for May, and AS now has just over $2.0B in cash on hand, plus new capital that is in the process of being raised to further shore up liquidity.

The other airlines are cutting 40+%. 2 billion is good. No bailout needed yet.

deltairlines

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Delta now cutting 70% of capacity, 80% of international capacity, parking 600 planes. Accelerated retirements for MD-88/90s and select 767s.

chepos

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Will travel rebound this winter after we peak in April?

It’s impossible to tell how long this is going to last, hard to guess what the landscape in the industry will look like come next winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

tphuang

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:12 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

UA is cutting 60%
DL is cutting 70%
B6 is cutting 40%
G4 is cutting 35%
NK is cutting 25%
WN is cutting 20%

To be fair, AS is mostly domestic. But given how hard hit Seattle has been and the closure of US/Canada border to non-essential traffic, AS's announced cuts so far look woefully inadequate. That $2 billion is going to disappear really fast if they keep flying empty planes around.

PANAMsterdam

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:15 pm

deltairlines wrote:
Delta now cutting 70% of capacity, 80% of international capacity, parking 600 planes. Accelerated retirements for MD-88/90s and select 767s.

As a result, and with the news that Delta is projecting a $2 billion decline in revenue this month, Delta stock is nosediving a stunning 36%
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

tphuang

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:26 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
deltairlines wrote:

As a result, and with the news that Delta is projecting a $2 billion decline in revenue this month, Delta stock is nosediving a stunning 36%

Wow, that's unbelievable. Even UA projected a smaller number than that. Although, it seems like things a trending worse every day. I think I also saw that they expect to save $4 billion on cost in June from the capacity cut and other measures.

also, as a sign of times. I'm seeing $52 R/T fares on AA for MIA-LAX been advertised. And also seeing $74 R/T fares on ATL-LAX.

FlyingHonu001

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:28 pm

AMS is closing 5 out of 7 concourses due to declining passenger numbers, reducing operational capacity by more than 50%.

Schiphol is working to ensure that only the D and E-Pier will still be in use for passenger flights from Tuesday 24 March. The aircraft stands at the other piers are being used as temporary parking spaces for planes that will be grounded for a longer period of time

Source: https://news.schiphol.com/schiphol-to-r ... -capacity/

1989worstyear

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:29 pm

deltairlines wrote:

I knew the 767s wouldn't make it :cry: .

External source?
Last edited by 1989worstyear on Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

coronado

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:36 pm

I think most observers would agree that in the last 10 years Delta has had the best revenue management programs and simulations, as evidenced by their profitability and also their ability to grow in new markets such as SEA which may not yet be profitable but it can certainly can be argued is not dragging the profitability down for the rest of the enterprise. If their revenue management models are today calling for the parking of 600 aircraft it tells me the other airlines have not yet realized what is about to hit them.

All the LCCs which have routes predominantly serving discretionary spending tourist destinations such as LAS and MCO, which are essentially shut down, make it clear that the announced cuts of 25 or 35% don't even begin to address the tsunami.
Last edited by coronado on Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

EA CO AS

tphuang wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

UA is cutting 60%
DL is cutting 70%
B6 is cutting 40%
G4 is cutting 35%
NK is cutting 25%
WN is cutting 20%

To be fair, AS is mostly domestic. But given how hard hit Seattle has been and the closure of US/Canada border to non-essential traffic, AS's announced cuts so far look woefully inadequate. That $2 billion is going to disappear really fast if they keep flying empty planes around.

When you consider the amount of the capacity cuts at UA/DL that are international, the domestic side is about 20-25%. WN has far larger international ops than AS also, so their domestic cut is about 15% of capacity.

Now consider that AS has costs about 20-22% lower than UA/DL and doesn’t rely on premium cabin revenue to get by and that 15% cut for AS looks about right.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

basspaul

The advantage of being a private company, no shareholders whining about the stock price impacting your decisions.

Hopefully they're able to help their employees a bit through the layoffs (maintaining insurance and other company benefits).

PANAMsterdam

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:39 pm

Another Stockmarket stunner: The Boeing Company.

Today losing another 25%, dropping to $93 per share

Last time their stock price was this low was back in 2013.

Look what a stunning collapse of their stock in just ONE month.

Februari 18 2020: $338 per share
March 18 2020: $93 per share
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

1989worstyear

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:44 pm

1989worstyear wrote:
deltairlines wrote:

I knew the 767s wouldn't make it :cry: .

External source?

Found it: https://news.delta.com/ed-bastian-memo- ... our-future
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

Midwestindy

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:58 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
tphuang wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

UA is cutting 60%
DL is cutting 70%
B6 is cutting 40%
G4 is cutting 35%
NK is cutting 25%
WN is cutting 20%

When you consider the amount of the capacity cuts at UA/DL that are international, the domestic side is about 20-25%. WN has far larger international ops than AS also, so their domestic cut is about 15% of capacity.

Now consider that AS has costs about 20-22% lower than UA/DL and doesn’t rely on premium cabin revenue to get by and that 15% cut for AS looks about right.

Nope, UA is reducing domestic by 45%, DL reducing domestic by likely 50-60% now

Noticed how you dodged G4, which is entirely domestic + lower cost, and is reducing flying by 35%.

I know you work for AS, but c'mon now, they aren't leaps & bounds less exposed than every other US airline.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:59 pm

All airline stocks are taking a beating today. ALK is down a third in value today alone.

tphuang

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:02 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
tphuang wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

UA is cutting 60%
DL is cutting 70%
B6 is cutting 40%
G4 is cutting 35%
NK is cutting 25%
WN is cutting 20%

your math is off. Both UA/DL will be cutting well over 40% of their domestic ops. WN is over 95% domestic and their largest operation is not in SEA, which at this point is probably a no-go zone for most people. And this is on top of the MAX related cuts. If the cuts were based on cost, NK would not be cutting that much more than AS. I would be surprised if AS doesn't announce more cuts by the end of the week.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:09 pm

DL might as well just pull the plug for several weeks. I think they are trying to signal that, and very well could be completely grounded by the end of next week.

If you are a traveler that is out of position, I would strongly encourage you to get home NOW before the airlines ground themselves.

Who are the people even thinking about going on leisure related trips right now? Everything is closed. Entire industries are essentially closed. Country borders are closed.

MohawkWeekend

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:31 pm

Nothing is certain but it appears that the US Govt is leaning towards loans instead of single industry bailouts. The loans will most likely require equity positions. Now thats my guess but the cratering prices for airline stocks and Boeing make sense in that scenario.
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

JannEejit

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:31 pm

I took a few shots of the grounded BA fleet at GLA/EGPF today. All Airbus A321's.

Arion640

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:36 pm

JannEejit wrote:
    I took a few shots of the grounded BA fleet at GLA/EGPF today. All Airbus A321's.

So sad seeing that.

BA have already sent a 772 and 747 down to Cardiff for storage and there was hoards of 747’s lined up at heathrow today.

Hopefully they’ll Keep the heavies in service on airbridge routes to the US, Canada and maybe the LHR-SYD service.

Waterbomber2

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:36 pm

Arion640 wrote:
    Interesting article on how many days cash each airline has left. IAG on 130+

http://dlvr.it/RS4KF2

This is based on the below report
    https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... -19-517608

I must say the report gives some orientation but is quite irrelevant.

Once airlines start giving refunds, their liquidity will dry out very fast.
    So you can expect airlines to wait until the very last minute to cancel their flights, hoping that customers will rebook before that or cancel it themselves.
    I also expect airlines to take their time with refunds, it may take weeks or months before refunds are processed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos