Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blandy62

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:07 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
Interesting story out of the Marshall Islands:

The flight crew and 124 passengers on a regularly scheduled United Airlines Boeing-737 flight were not allowed off the tarmac in the vicinity of the plane after it experienced problems in Majuro forcing it to cancel the final leg of its service to Honolulu Wednesday night.

The United Island Hopper flight Wednesday that originated in Guam was to continue to Honolulu after its scheduled stop in Majuro but was grounded for unspecified reasons.

The plane, passengers and crew stayed inside the plane or outside in the immediate vicinity of the plane for over 10 hours, waiting for a rescue flight scheduled to arrive at 8am Thursday morning.

Full article: https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pac ... passengers

I can think of worse places to not be able to get away from the immediate vicinity of the aircraft for 10 hours, but still seems quite rough. I dare say the service isn’t going to last much longer anyway with travel restrictions.

V/F

I can understand the Marshal Island. they don't have the medical facilities to deal with Coronovirus and considering there are cases in both Guam and Hawai, they try to limit as much as possible the chance to import cases.

Out of the coronavirus cases, but I saw this happening in Kwaialein before. Was flying from Kosrae to Guam and the inbound flight went tech in KWA. Passengers had to say in the plane for more than 10 hours until a rescue plane arrive form Guam, as nobody is allowed of the plane there

scbriml

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:13 am

smokeybandit wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
If their banning US citizens from flying internationally they’ll need to ban airlines from flying international routes.

No one is banned from flying. Just it's recommended not to.

True, but if anyone does travel against their government's recommendation, it will almost certainly invalidate their insurance.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

HII

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:14 am

F9Animal wrote:
JSX Airlines or JetSuite X cancelled the planned Seattle to Portland flights about 2 weeks ago. I just tried to book Seattle to Oakland, and it appears that has been stopped? Route map appears to have take Seattle out all together now.

Does anyone know if this is temporary, or permanent? I have not seen any news on this at all. I would imagine that poor airline is probably taking a major hit with this.

All of the JSX cuts should be temporary as investors will want to quickly ramp back up again. Now is the time to steal some market share, even if the markets don’t overlap that much.

32andBelow

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:29 am

Some are saying JFK is the next one.

alasizon

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:39 am

32andBelow wrote:

JFK is the next what?
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

pilotfox

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:41 am

JFK Tower closing tomorrow for "unscheduled cleaning" 24hr closure. No start time given.

32andBelow

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:43 am

alasizon wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

JFK is the next what?

You said it not me

BAINY3

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:49 am

MAH4546 wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Nobody is banned. It is illegal for the United States to ban travel. Nobody has that authority. They are simply telling people not too. It can’t be enforced.

Countries can ban any non-citizens/residents from entering. The current restrictions aren't a ban on flights per se, so much as a border restriction on people. The effect is much the same.

No, it’s literally not the same. The United States cannot ban it’s citizens from traveling, domestically or internationally. The US can close its borders to foreigners. Other countries can close their borders to Americans. But it’s still not the same thing regardless of the effect.

My statement operated under the assumption that other jurisdictions are also restricting their own borders. Yes, the US can't prevent its own citizens from leaving, but if nobody else is letting them in, what's the difference?

cjg225

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:03 am

32andBelow wrote:

Hahaha oh lovely. Like 2/3rd of my outbound air cargo goes through JFK.

*nervously checks to see if he has any shipments scheduled for Friday-Saturday departures*

Anyway...

We're seeing wildly different air cargo rates right now. It seems like a lot of forwarders rushed to charter aircraft without any idea of what demand would be from shippers. We're seeing huge spreads for essentially the same offered amount of space on the same or similar lanes. The ones who are asking for forecasts are offering us much lower rates than the ones who are just shoving available space in our faces.

Also, I heard this: DL apparently didn't feel the need to install floor locks across the entire belly space of their widebodies, so for now, they're not able to offer the same amount of cargo space as UA, which does have floor locks across the entire belly space of their widebodies. So, the pax jets DL is offering for cargo have significantly less space available than the same airframes UA is offering.

Anyone know if there is any validity to that?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

usxguy

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:10 am

could it be related to the strength of the floor locks, as I'm pretty certain that any can has to be locked into place. And there are weight limits on each can.
xx

usxguy

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:31 am

Pacific Coastal is the lastest victim

https://www.pacificcoastal.com/presidents-message/
xx

atcsundevil

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:08 am

From the FAA OIS Ops Plan "EXPECT A JFK GROUND DELAY PROGRAM TO BE ISSUED BY 0900Z AT A LOW RATE WITH STEP UPS DUE TO OPERATION FROM A RAMP TOWER EXPECTED."

https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_spt.jsp

DiamondFlyer

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:16 am

atcsundevil wrote:
From the FAA OIS Ops Plan "EXPECT A JFK GROUND DELAY PROGRAM TO BE ISSUED BY 0900Z AT A LOW RATE WITH STEP UPS DUE TO OPERATION FROM A RAMP TOWER EXPECTED."

https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_spt.jsp

Virus or equipment problem?
From my cold, dead hands

atcsundevil

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:22 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Virus or equipment problem?

This is the only publicly available information as far as I know, so I'm unable to speculate.

asuflyer

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:04 am

An employee who works with JFK ATC, but is not a controller tested reportedly tested positive for COVID-19. The Rockaways in Queens, NYC as well as Nassau County where many employees who work at JFK live have quickly growing numbers of COVID-19.

VRHNM

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:09 am

HK Express has announced to suspend operations until April 20. As stated on their website.

adtall

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 am

cjg225 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Also, I heard this: DL apparently didn't feel the need to install floor locks across the entire belly space of their widebodies, so for now, they're not able to offer the same amount of cargo space as UA, which does have floor locks across the entire belly space of their widebodies. So, the pax jets DL is offering for cargo have significantly less space available than the same airframes UA is offering.

Anyone know if there is any validity to that?

I can definitively say DL's widebodies are configured throughout with floor locks, but as with all widebodies there are weight restrictions per position and not all ULDs fit in all areas of different aircraft, so it depends on type of aircraft combined with weight and type of ULD you're shipping. But yes, you can fill DL widebodies with ULDs.

Arion640

Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:13 am

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/2 ... onal-plan/

BA to ground 747, 777 and A380 fleets and accelerate 747 retirement.

dampfnudel

Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 am

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-inf ... en:flights

Qantas suspends all international service from the end of March until 31 May 2020.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

eta unknown

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 am

Royal Brunei revised schedule from 23 March to 30 April (SIN, HKG, MNL, MEL only):
https://www.flyroyalbrunei.com/brunei/e ... 9-updates/

Scotron12

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:43 am

Arion640 wrote:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/20/proposed-british-airways-operational-plan/

Yes, Walsh mentioned that the B744s at BA, the A346s at IB and some A330s at EI could be parked and not reenter service.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/i ... 96.article

Was also reported that they are seeking talks with BALPA on pilot redundancies.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2141PX

Crazy times!!

SwissCanuck

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:59 am

BAINY3 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
Countries can ban any non-citizens/residents from entering. The current restrictions aren't a ban on flights per se, so much as a border restriction on people. The effect is much the same.

No, it’s literally not the same. The United States cannot ban it’s citizens from traveling, domestically or internationally. The US can close its borders to foreigners. Other countries can close their borders to Americans. But it’s still not the same thing regardless of the effect.

My statement operated under the assumption that other jurisdictions are also restricting their own borders. Yes, the US can't prevent its own citizens from leaving, but if nobody else is letting them in, what's the difference?

Some of us have unusual (but far from rare) situations where we can get in to two countries, even now. Dual-citizens, or like me who has citizenship in one country but permanent residency in another. Both Switzerland and Canada would surely quarantine me if I showed up at the other's door but both would be obliged to let me in.

FluidFlow

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:14 am

MAH4546 wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Nobody is banned. It is illegal for the United States to ban travel. Nobody has that authority. They are simply telling people not too. It can’t be enforced.

Couldnt the US just close its airspace. While theoretically not banning travel, the US has the power to close its airspace with the reason of national security.

The same goes for roads. While the US cannot ban travel per car, they should have the authority to close certain roads.

davidjohnson6

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 am

US Govt policy is currently to tell all US citizens abroad to return to the USA - or be prepared to spend a prolonged period of time outside the USA. If US airspace is closed, it becomes very difficult for those citizens to return home on the few remaining flights

willfinn

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:49 am

According to YLE the Finnish Government will issue state aid to AY in excess of €600 million. This is to underwrite the direct loss of revenue accumulated during the crisis.

I find this too optimistic, since various sources are predicting for the European epidemic to last a minimum of three months. As you know, AYs bread-and-butter is its East Asia traffic, so things are not likely to improve until those countries lift their own restrictions for European traffic.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11267067

Mountainman11

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:04 am

No news source yet but ZID center is partially shut down waiting on CDC and FAA to decide if the whole facility will be shut down.

santi319

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:04 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
US Govt policy is currently to tell all US citizens abroad to return to the USA - or be prepared to spend a prolonged period of time outside the USA. If US airspace is closed, it becomes very difficult for those citizens to return home on the few remaining flights

You forgot the other part:

“ Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice. Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips. If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.”

The US is not closing its borders

andz

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:05 am

SAA have suspended all international flights until the end of May, if they are still around.

https://www.flysaa.com/about-us/leading ... s/newsroom
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

cjg225

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:35 am

adtall wrote:
[I can definitively say DL's widebodies are configured throughout with floor locks, but as with all widebodies there are weight restrictions per position and not all ULDs fit in all areas of different aircraft, so it depends on type of aircraft combined with weight and type of ULD you're shipping. But yes, you can fill DL widebodies with ULDs.

Hmmm... Thanks for the info.

That was a possible explanation I heard from someone because between UA and DL for a 773, UA was offering 14 PMC positions and DL was offering only 7 PMC positions. Both of these were for a pax jet being used as a freighter, basically, with no passengers.

And it wasn't that DL had just already sold the other positions. They were saying that was the max they'd take. Now, this is all second- or third-hand since we don't contract directly with the carriers.

Anyway, cargo market is extremely entertaining right now.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Draken21fx

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Malta is isolating completely as of Saturday.

Only cargo, humanitarian and repatriation flights will be allowed effectively meaning that the island is isolated from the rest of the world with no one coming in or going out.

https://news.yahoo.com/malta-stop-incom ... 39181.html

I guess it has to be pretty emotional for the staff judging by the CEO's statement.

Saturday will be a dark day for the local aviation industry and all stakeholders who have worked tirelessly to ensure the industry’s growth and success over the past years

midway7

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:08 pm

Mountainman11 wrote:
No news source yet but ZID center is partially shut down waiting on CDC and FAA to decide if the whole facility will be shut down.

From the FAA Advisory Database -

GROUND DELAY PROGRAMS IN PLACE FOR JFK AND LAS DUE TO STAFFING. DUE TO LOW
CEILINGS A PHL GROUND STOP IS POSSIBLE FOR THE 1300Z ARRIVAL BANK. ZID ALSO
HAS STAFFING ISSUES THIS MORNING WHICH HAS REQUIRED STRUCTURED ROUTES
AROUND THEIR AIRSPACE. THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED THROUGH THE TENNESSEE
VALLEY THIS AFTERNOON WHICH MAY REQUIRE ADDITONAL STRUCTURED ROUTES.

Looks like they are having staffing issues at ZID currently.

mxaxai

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:35 pm

cjg225 wrote:
That was a possible explanation I heard from someone because between UA and DL for a 773, UA was offering 14 PMC positions and DL was offering only 7 PMC positions. Both of these were for a pax jet being used as a freighter, basically, with no passengers.

And it wasn't that DL had just already sold the other positions. They were saying that was the max they'd take. Now, this is all second- or third-hand since we don't contract directly with the carriers.

DL doesn't have any 773, only 772.

adtall

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:49 pm

mxaxai wrote:
cjg225 wrote:

DL doesn't have any 773, only 772.

To add on, DL's 77Es and 77Ls have more than 7 PMC positions, but again, they may have other ULDs already booked and taking up space. 77Ws obviously do have more belly space though.

jayunited

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:09 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Hmmm... Thanks for the info.

Anyway, cargo market is extremely entertaining right now.

DL does not have any 77Ws.

For an aircraft the size of a 77E/L yes 7 PMC positions would be correct because the rest of the compartment during normal operations was filled with bags. With 7 PMC's on a 77E/L you only have 10 remaining LD3 size positions on the aircraft. You can also load 8 PMC on a 77E/L which would then leave you only 8 LD3 size positions for bags or remaining cargo.

As far as the 77W there are a total of 14 PMC positions but UA during normal operations would never offer 14 PMC positions because there would be no space remaining for bags. In most cases UA will offer 10 or 11 PMC positions and save the remaining positions for bags. Now the 77W does offer a lot of flexibility there are optional additional locks airlines can order and UA's 77Ws do have all the optional locks installed giving UA a wide range of options perhaps this is what you are referring to. UA ordered these aircraft to not only haul a lot of people but they also ordered them to move tons of cargo. Comparing a 77W cargo compartment lock layout to a 77E there is a lot more UA can do with the 77W to better maximize all the available floor space on these aircraft whereas the 77E can have dead zones do to the lack of locks.

thewizbizman

ZLC, ZID partially/wholely shut down, rumors of JFK

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:28 pm

Yesterday, I saw that ZLC shut down due to the earthquakes in the Salt Lake City area. Today I saw ZID at least partially began to shut down for 'illness'. I heard rumors of ether ZNY or JFK tower going down on the corona thread.

If anyone can provide updated information and possible implications of these closures, I think everyone would be grateful.

Stay safe
"Aviation is the youngest big industry, but it is the fastest growing baby ever. A few years ago, it was called impossible to fly…The day of the airplane is surely here."

April 17, 1929 / C. E. Woolman

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:29 pm

There will be essential flying needed throughout the US. It would make sense for a White House directive allowing/requiring airlines to maintain a network matching need during the emergency. Maintain just enough service to keep standard price offerings, and perhaps a little social distancing, but we don't need 5 airlines flying empty planes between any two points.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Pontius

Re: ZLC, ZID partially/wholely shut down, rumors of JFK

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:54 pm

A good place to start for national ATC status:
https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Dominion301

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:01 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
Yesterday, I saw that ZLC shut down due to the earthquakes in the Salt Lake City area. Today I saw ZID at least partially began to shut down for 'illness'. I heard rumors of ether ZNY or JFK tower going down on the corona thread.

If anyone can provide updated information and possible implications of these closures, I think everyone would be grateful.

Stay safe

While most of us on here understand dozens or even hundreds of IATA airport codes, few of us are versed in ATC IDs. Would be helpful to spell these out.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:01 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
There will be essential flying needed throughout the US. It would make sense for a White House directive allowing/requiring airlines to maintain a network matching need during the emergency. Maintain just enough service to keep standard price offerings, and perhaps a little social distancing, but we don't need 5 airlines flying empty planes between any two points.

For what reason? If it's essential to move cargo around the US, how many hundreds of military planes could be doing it? Shut it all down.
From my cold, dead hands

KFTG

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:05 pm

There is a delay program in effect at ZTL?
You would think that traffic would be low enough such that it wouldn't be needed.

ilovepabst

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:08 pm

thewizbizman wrote:

Stay safe

Not ZLC just SLC tower. Uninhabitable for 1-2 weeks, working on a backup facility.

asuflyer

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:10 pm

Avianca will be repatriating Americans and Brits from Peru. Many more repatriation flights will be made.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 ... ans-138663

ilovepabst

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:11 pm

KFTG wrote:
There is a delay program in effect at ZTL?
You would think that traffic would be low enough such that it wouldn't be needed.

DAL and subs only, no gate space ATL

lightsaber

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:12 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/20/proposed-british-airways-operational-plan/

Yes, Walsh mentioned that the B744s at BA, the A346s at IB and some A330s at EI could be parked and not reenter service.

Crazy times!!

Sad to hear pilot shortage went to redundancies.

There will be a lot of aspiring soda cans parked this month. :cry2:

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:36 pm

ZTL is Atlanta ARTCC

mxaxai

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:38 pm

Luxair is suspending all passenger flights from Monday onwards, except for potential repatriation flights. https://www.wort.lu/de/business/luxair- ... 784e3593d1
https://today.rtl.lu/life/travel/a/1486852.html [English]

Cargolux is transporting additional hospital beds, some with ventilators, to Luxembourg across 6 flights. https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1486735.html

Miamiairport

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Cargo is a big thing now. Of course airlines should be given some of this business. This keeps some people employed. To the morons that scream shut it all down maybe they can explain how a family is going to pay the bills, keep food on the table and car for themselves. Most people barely live paycheck to paycheck. In Florida unemployment is $152 a week. The overwhelming majority of people are not going to contract the virus, and if they do, suffer either no symptoms, mild symptoms or flu like symptom. Many are going to run to hospitals so hospitals have need the staff and supplies to triage.

DL717

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Crazy times!!

I’m sure all of the 747s at BA that we’re planned for 2021 will happen now with the possibility the rest don’t ever fly again. A350s, 787s and 777s will be the aircraft of choice during the recovery and going forward.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

SWALUV

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:02 pm

ZID (Indy center) is ATCZERO in some spots. I've been told they are actively rerouting around the airspace, and all departures are being kept low with a call for release required.

JFK is currently operating in a ramp tower because a technician tested positive for COVID19. Arrival rate is apparently reduced from 40 to 10 an hour from the source I have, should be back in the normal tower tomorrow after a deep cleaning takes place today.

Waterbomber2

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:02 pm

I urge airlines worldwide to ground their fleets and to put them at the disposal of the governments and hospitals for either transport of sick people, doctors or equipment/supplies, or to serve as quarantine and/or treatment facilities.

Stop flying passengers around and spreading this pandemic to new communities, putting passengers and your staff at risk.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos