Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Scotron12

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:38 am

lightsaber wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:
EK to suspend EDI, NCL, STN & LGW and reduce GLA & MAN & BHM to 1 x daily. LHR will see 2 x daily. All flights operated by B777s. To last until June 30.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... ts-2503830

Wow, that is an amazing capacity cut.

EK/Dubai's resilience will be tested.

Lightsaber

LHR alone is a shocker! But, friend of mine flew EK from EDI-DXB last week and said the whole plane had only 12 or so pax. They were told at check-in to sit anywhere they liked.

smartplane

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:47 am

lightsaber wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:
EK to suspend EDI, NCL, STN & LGW and reduce GLA & MAN & BHM to 1 x daily. LHR will see 2 x daily. All flights operated by B777s. To last until June 30.

Lightsaber

And their financiers and lessors too. Local employees, foreign contractors and related industries. DNATA globally. Strain on law and order?

Scotron12

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:08 am

smartplane wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

Lightsaber

And their financiers and lessors too. Local employees, foreign contractors and related industries. DNATA globally. Strain on law and order?

It was reported that EK were mulling parking their entire fleet of 115 x A380s. I guess it will happen.

How does that effect their finances? AFAIR, most of their A380s are leased?? Do the leasing companies give them a break??

Vladex

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:32 am

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
Vladex wrote:
I live very close to YYZ and I have only seen 1 airplane in the sky since this morning yet FR24 remains fairly busy so what gives?

Not to go off topic,
You dont say where you are in Toronto, but cloud cover is brutal and low today. I live downtown beside CN Tower and aircraft are going overhead south over lake on approach! AC 857 from LHR just went over, a KLM 744 is up next in a few minutes. Another AC from LHR after that! They'll be swinging by overhead. I hear them before seeing them today.

It was my lack of information, today was very windy so the approach was from the south and I don't see it directly. I live on the east approach around Kipling.

GRJGeorge

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:58 am

lightsaber wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

Lightsaber

Perhaps a test for all airlines relying more on hub-spoke operations / connections.
There might be an increase in demand for more point-to-point traffic in the longer term after things stabilize. Some people might feel it's healthier and less risky to exposure of any kind if they can rather take just one flight to where they want to be...just 1 planeload of people, so instead of maybe 600-800 people flying with you, it is perhaps half now, and only 2 airports to use instead of 3 or more, reducing risk more.
Maybe even smaller planes might be more appealing, less crowding everywhere along the journey Ie: Airlink in South Africa will be using mostly E135/140s on the remaing flights over the next few weeks, E190s not scheduled.

max999

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:06 am

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/20/pri ... nding.html

The private jet industry is asking Congress for a bailout. Instead of asking the public to bail them out, I think the industry should ask their wealthy customers instead.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Scotron12

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 am

max999 wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/20/private-jet-industry-asks-for-bailout-funding.html

The private jet industry is asking Congress for a bailout. Instead of asking the public to bail them out, I think the industry should ask their wealthy customers instead.

Heaven forbid!! But a good place to start would be all the ex Boeing bigwigs that made out like bandits before the 737MAX fiasco!

mxaxai

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:31 am

As mentioned in the Boeing financials thread, and probably best discussed there, Boeing is suspending dividends and CEO Calhoun as well as Board Chairman Kellner will not be paid for their work this year.
18 employees in Seattle have tested positive for the virus.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... -industry/

ltbewr

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:32 am

Another major fallout from this crises will include the suspension of all construction and capital improvements at airports for the foreseeable future. That would mean projects like the replacement or major renovations of terminals will be indefinitely delayed, current projects partially unfinished for years as airport operators will have to use funds to pay workers, day to day operational costs and bondholders.

myki

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:45 am

ltbewr wrote:
Another major fallout from this crises will include the suspension of all construction and capital improvements at airports for the foreseeable future. That would mean projects like the replacement or major renovations of terminals will be indefinitely delayed, current projects partially unfinished for years as airport operators will have to use funds to pay workers, day to day operational costs and bondholders.

Could this be an excuse for AUH Midfield Terminal to be delayed for the 143rd time? :stirthepot:

SCQ83

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:50 am

ltbewr wrote:

Also medium-large airports with multiple terminals / piers will close some of them and consolidate operations (at least in Europe or Asia; maybe the US is slightly different because of gates' ownership). This is already happening right now, but this will indeed continue in the medium term.

alasizon

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:18 pm

ltbewr wrote:

Not disagreeing with you on it overall, but there are still a number of projects that will continue since they were paid for by bonds that were already issued or grants from the FAA.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

avier

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:26 pm

ltbewr wrote:

You mean LHR third rwy won't be happening (?) ;)

peterinlisbon

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:37 pm

myki wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Could this be an excuse for AUH Midfield Terminal to be delayed for the 143rd time? :stirthepot:

I flew through there in January and it was weird to see a huge unused airport. They seem to have pretty much finished building it already, so I don't understand what they were gaining by keeping it closed, although I can understand that there was no rush to finish even before this crisis.

jayunited

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:39 pm

cjg225 wrote:
Yes, just to see how it goes. There is absolutely a difference between dealing with a chartered solution vs. a regularly scheduled service. There are differences in the end-to-end management. UA may not see it as necessarily different here, but the booking-to-delivery experience is not the same.

Again there is no difference, UA and UA cargo already has chartered solutions built into our regularly scheduled service. UA even has contracts with trucking companies to pick up and drop off the cargo to the customer if they don't have their own mode of ground transportation.

A company can and they do charter the belly of a regular schedule aircraft in revenue service that has been happening for years. One small example before the Rio Olympics Caterpillar had a contract with UA for the entire forward cargo compartment of 77E on UA 845 ORD-GRU, the aft cargo compartment was reserved for bags. There were many days when Caterpillar sent 6 PMC's to the aircraft but there were also days mostly Mondays when only 2 or 3 PMC's would show up. However UA made their money whether the compartment was full or empty. Caterpillar in the contract was allowed to ship so many thousands of pounds per flight and if they came under that UA could not sell the resale the remaining space. UA in the past has also had exclusive cargo contracts to ship certain products with GE, Ford, Apple and many other companies that will contract out one end of the aircraft the contract gives them the max weight limitations. The shipper can not exceed the weight limitation but if they come in under the limitation UA still gets to keep the money. Cargo sales agents love these types of contracts and charters because many of these contracts last at least a month if not longer and it is a win for the airline during regular schedule service

Whether it is regularly scheduled or charter work major airlines already have experience, COVID-19 is not reinventing the wheel. UA in an internal email has already told employees that UA cargo is exploring the option of using a small number of widebodies as cargo carriers but only if there is money to be made. Again a passenger aircraft is not a cargo aircraft airlines like AA, DL and UA would still have to compete domestically against UPS and FedEx both of whom have have the right aircraft for the job and as a result can move the cargo cheaper than US3 ever could.

Waterbomber2

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:46 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
max999 wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/20/private-jet-industry-asks-for-bailout-funding.html

Heaven forbid!! But a good place to start would be all the ex Boeing bigwigs that made out like bandits before the 737MAX fiasco!

I wonder if Buffet's Netjets is going to be in trouble.
It will be interesting to see how Buffett comes out of this too, as he is all about equity and investing. All his companies must be thin on cash.

PS: it looks like they'll be fine, 120 billions in liquidity at Berkshire Hathaway.

peterinlisbon

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:06 pm

avier wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Now is the perfect time to build it. Nobody is allowed to go out and protest.

Ishrion

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:16 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
avier wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Now is the perfect time to build it. Nobody is allowed to go out and protest.

I mean... if you need some extra aircraft storage :spin:

LightningZ71

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:03 pm

Sorry if this is more of a tech question, but, it's definitely Covid-19 ops related...

I've seen it mentioned that Delta and perhaps another airline was considering, as part of their traffic realignment strategy, reducing frequencies further in some markets and replacing it with larger frames, such as reducing six 737 frequencies to two A-330 flights, etc. I was wondering if it makes sense to pull seats out of the planes when making this change?

My understanding is that there still isn't enough passenger traffic to fill even half the available seats on a wide body, even with those frequencies, so likely half or more will be unused. It is also my understanding that the regulations on the number of cabin crew are tied to number of seats installed in the plane and not it's designed maximum capacity. Would it not make sense to pull most of the heavy first class seats and most of the rear economy seats (so as to maintain some semblance of balance) to reduce those frames to just premium economy around the wing root with roughly 100 seats and just have the legally required minimum staffing for that number of seats? It should save money on the cost of operating the flight by reducing weight, which reduces fuel consumption, and by the reduced cost of staffing the unneeded cabin crew, but for their time in the plane and for any housing costs if they are away from their base?

I suggest this because, from what I've read, this pandemic is going to have most of the world in social distancing for well over a year given that the earliest we can reasonably expect any sort of targeted and effective treatment to emerge is mine months or more for introduction and longer still for mass production and a vaccine that is both considered safe and effective could be 18 months or more before mass production.

With those time-frames, it seems that, even with reduced oil costs, the marginal cost reduction outweighs the cost of making the change.

Thoughts?

DL717

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:16 pm

ltbewr wrote:

Projects may slow short term due to worker availability, but it won’t stop projects. A recession is likely and a recession is the time to build because the cost saving are tremendous.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

BKKA350

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:19 pm

Bangkok Airways is another airline to suspend all international flights indefinitely.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... al-flights
Last edited by BKKA350 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myki

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:23 pm

Pakistan shutting airspace for 2 weeks. That, along with India, has got to hit the the airlines of the Middle East pretty hard.

Arion640

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:31 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:
max999 wrote:

I wonder if Buffet's Netjets is going to be in trouble.
It will be interesting to see how Buffett comes out of this too, as he is all about equity and investing. All his companies must be thin on cash.

PS: it looks like they'll be fine, 120 billions in liquidity at Berkshire Hathaway.

Buffets well known for having cash in hand, he only pays himself 100k dollars per year. He also holds big stakes in Delta and American.

EvoDell

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Peter Bellew copying Irish PM speech from Paddys day to address staff
https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/commen ... dium=web2x

smartplane

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
smartplane wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

It was reported that EK were mulling parking their entire fleet of 115 x A380s. I guess it will happen.

How does that effect their finances? AFAIR, most of their A380s are leased?? Do the leasing companies give them a break??

Customers have been, and are, beating a path to the doors of their financiers and lessors. Most are providing daily updates.

When one customer, or even a regional grouping has a financial issue, the industry has the capacity, resilience and long term perspective to assist, usually with changes to margins, interest and / or payment holidays, advances, partial or complete forgiveness of an end of lease payment falling due currently...............

But this is so widespread financiers and lessors are in discussions with their own financiers, shareholders and Governments, so the ability to assist is constrained.

Many ME3 funding participants are locals, so if leases are impaired in any way, that can impact the wealth and morale of many significant individuals and families in the nation, almost a doubling of the effect.

cathay747

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:09 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

Lightsaber

Yes it's amazing, but I can't understand keeping 5 daily flights out of the U.K. Who is possibly going to be on those flights? Unless they're doing this to mostly fly cargo, and the 2 pax per flight (if even that many) being just a little ancillary revenue?
Try a Little VC-10derness

JannEejit

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:15 pm

cathay747 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

Lightsaber

Yes it's amazing, but I can't understand keeping 5 daily flights out of the U.K. Who is possibly going to be on those flights? Unless they're doing this to mostly fly cargo, and the 2 pax per flight (if even that many) being just a little ancillary revenue?

I recall a GLA ramp rat once telling me they could run that service on cargo alone. I guess she wasn't kidding.

djvalume

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:17 pm

WZZ is doing a series of humanitarian flights from BUD to China.

Currently HA-LVH is on its way to PVG via fuel stop in TSE... flight is live on FR24

HII

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:22 pm

max999 wrote:

Don’t forget this also includes all Part 135 operators including JSX, Contour, Kenmore, and others that don’t exactly cater to the wealthy.

32andBelow

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:27 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
Sorry if this is more of a tech question, but, it's definitely Covid-19 ops related...

I've seen it mentioned that Delta and perhaps another airline was considering, as part of their traffic realignment strategy, reducing frequencies further in some markets and replacing it with larger frames, such as reducing six 737 frequencies to two A-330 flights, etc. I was wondering if it makes sense to pull seats out of the planes when making this change?

My understanding is that there still isn't enough passenger traffic to fill even half the available seats on a wide body, even with those frequencies, so likely half or more will be unused. It is also my understanding that the regulations on the number of cabin crew are tied to number of seats installed in the plane and not it's designed maximum capacity. Would it not make sense to pull most of the heavy first class seats and most of the rear economy seats (so as to maintain some semblance of balance) to reduce those frames to just premium economy around the wing root with roughly 100 seats and just have the legally required minimum staffing for that number of seats? It should save money on the cost of operating the flight by reducing weight, which reduces fuel consumption, and by the reduced cost of staffing the unneeded cabin crew, but for their time in the plane and for any housing costs if they are away from their base?

I suggest this because, from what I've read, this pandemic is going to have most of the world in social distancing for well over a year given that the earliest we can reasonably expect any sort of targeted and effective treatment to emerge is mine months or more for introduction and longer still for mass production and a vaccine that is both considered safe and effective could be 18 months or more before mass production.

With those time-frames, it seems that, even with reduced oil costs, the marginal cost reduction outweighs the cost of making the change.

Thoughts?

No. You can’t do this. The configurations have to be approved by the manufacturer. This would be way more expensive then paying 4 flight attendants that are probably getting paid anyways due to monthly guarantees.

ATCJesus

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Looks like New York Center might be the next ATC facility to join the party. Interesting to see what the FAA does here.

T18

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:50 pm

ZNY is closed from what we hear seeing a ton of diversions light up all along the eastern US.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

ilovepabst

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:51 pm

That's it. Game over.

greenair727

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm

What's going on at PHL?" per FAA: "Due to OTHER / OTHER, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL). To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

jetmatt777

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:07 pm

greenair727 wrote:
What's going on at PHL?" per FAA: "Due to OTHER / OTHER, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL). To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

Read the posts directly above yours.

ilovepabst

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:08 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

Read the posts directly above yours.

Southbound out of PHL are departing

alaskan9974

NYC Air traffic suspended ZNY

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Anyone else see the Notam on ground and flight holds

downtown273

Re: NYC Air traffic suspended ZNY

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Coronavirus cases cause ground stop at New York City-area airports, FAA says

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/21/faa-iss ... issue.html
Last edited by downtown273 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evank516

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:16 pm

LGA still shows open per the FAA Flight Information - Air Traffic Control System Command Center.

https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

alaskan9974

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:18 pm

I have a screenshot of the artcc announcement but can’t upload from my phone. Apparently possible positive cases at ZNY so all airports within that coverage area are affected. Aircraft on ground returning to gate and inbound are being diverted.

texdravid

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:22 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/middle-pande ... 00407.html

Always wanted to see this UL flight but nice to see the
capability of Air Tahiti Nui to fly PPT-CDG in these extraordinary times.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

deltaguy767

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:23 pm

Ground stops have been purged and some departures from JFK/LGA/EWR are being released. ATC Command Center still formulating full action plan.
A Good Landing is one you walk away from! Any comments made on this board are my own and do not reflect the opinions or actions of my employer.

atcsundevil

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:30 pm

ZNY is indeed ATC zero. Some NY metro arrivals go directly into N90, so some aircraft are still able to get to NYC area airports. Overflight traffic north of RBV is being rerouted around ZNY.

Midwestindy

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:11 pm

A few graphics that I found interesting, definitely shows how quickly traffic has plummeted:

Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

trex8

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:28 pm

This is interesting. A and B get their "bailout", taxpayers get collateral.

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transp ... 36.article

LGWGate49

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:33 pm

factsonly wrote:
EMIRATES Network News on March 21, 2020:

EK flights have been suspended to the following destinations (Updated 21 March at 18:00):

No LGW on that list
Look for the ridiculous in everything, and you will find it

opticalilyushin

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Flying BKK-DUB today with KLM, not a single free seat on the 777 from Bangkok, meanwhile Schiphol and connecting flights are empty.

EWRamp

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:44 pm

N25201 and N72405 ferried to Roswell earlier today flight numbers 2725 and 2727 IAH-ROW

Waterbomber2

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:14 pm

trex8 wrote:
This is interesting. A and B get their "bailout", taxpayers get collateral.

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transp ... 36.article

Airlines made commitments and should take up aircraft they ordered. Airbus forced Skymark into liquidation over that.
If the small print allows airlines to walk away, that's for Airbus to saddle.

We can't bail out both the airlines and the aircraft manufacturers and their entire supply chains.
Airbus and Boeing can shut production down, put the workers on welfare at the government's expense and burn a bit through their cash to keep essential services going.
Government should intervene in a major capacity only if Airbus or Boeing end up in bankruptcy.
Last edited by Waterbomber2 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Springbok743

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:15 pm

I haven't seen this discussed, but does anyone know if cargo ops like FD are slowing retirements due to (I presume) increased demand? such as holding on to their MD-10s and A300s for longer?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos