Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightsaber
Topic Author

Accelerating aircraft retirements

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:59 pm

It is sad when types are retired. The sudden drop in traffic has necessitated a rapid drop in fleet needs.

From this link:
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... -757-200-1

Almost all of this is accelerating planned retirements:

AA retiring 752 by 2021.
AA accelerating 763ER to May
KLM accelerating 744 retirement to end of month (March 2020).
QF is retiring 744s, but I don't think this is accelerating retirement.
Speculation on DL accelerating MD-88/90 retirement. With DL parking hundreds of aircraft, I believe the older T-tails are doomed.
VS accelerating A346 retirement, but only a few months.

The article also notes KE and QF A380s being parked.

I personally think that there are several types whose economy of scale will drop to low to be viable, but not those with large cargo fleets.

Many of the parked aircraft will become frieghters. Most will see duty again.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

Boeing74741R

Re: Accelerating aircraft retirements

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:16 pm

I wouldn’t say VS A340 retirement is accelerated. They were due to go by late-October last year but had multiple stays of execution. Word elsewhere up until about a month ago was that they would stick around until at least the summer, but with the current situation and some expansion plans such as GRU postponed, the slack in the fleet is now there for the A340’s to finally bow out.

Scotron12

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Could see early 744 retirement at BA, especially if UK gets added to the US travel ban.

Overnight deaths doubled to 21!

Arion640

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:44 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Could see early 744 retirement at BA, especially if UK gets added to the US travel ban.

There’s one going next week. G-CIVM and I think another is to follow.

ewt340

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:47 pm

Well, they have to. Relying on cheap oil prices doesn't do justice on older aircraft no more.

Revelation

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:46 pm

lightsaber wrote:

There are several reports that LH's A380s are parked ( https://www.google.com/search?q=lufthansa+grounds+a380 ) and Emirates having 20+ A380s parked ( https://www.google.com/search?q=emirates+grounds+a380 ) with EK asking AIrbus to defer deliveries. QF is down to operating 2 and it seems AF is down to a similar number.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

mxaxai

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:56 pm

lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

LH cargo is reportedly looking at delaying MD-11 retirement as the sudden drop in passenger aircraft flights has greatly reduced the volume available for belly cargo. Also considers flying empty passenger aircraft, with belly cargo only. So there might be some older cargo aircraft that benefit from the situation.

Scotron12

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

Well...Mike Pence announced UK/IRL added to travel ban from Monday. This will be a huge blow to BA and VS. I would suspect if not retired, a whole bunch of 744s will be parked. Seven (7) BA 744s are due to go thru Feb 2021.

Arion640

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:01 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

Well...Mike Pence announced UK/IRL added to travel ban from Monday. This will be a huge blow to BA and VS. I would suspect if not retired, a whole bunch of 744s will be parked. Seven (7) BA 744s are due to go thru Feb 2021.

AA and United will also have to park a huge amount lf their long haul fleet as a lot of it goes into LHR. Especially AA.

FLALEFTY

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

All of the major Orlando attractions, Disney World, EPCOT, Universal Studios and Sea World are closed. I expect the VS 744's that are used to service MCO will probably be put into temporary storage at LGW until this virus crisis settles down and the attractions reopen. VS probably will defer delivery of the A350K's outfitted with high-density interiors to replace the B744's to avoid taking on any additional capital costs during this crisis.

Chemist

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:49 pm

I'm wondering if this virus crisis is another big acceleration of the death of the A380?
Glad I got my first flight on one a few weeks ago.

marcelh

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Chemist wrote:
I'm wondering if this virus crisis is another big acceleration of the death of the A380?

Only if EK does belly up

hsaviation

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:54 pm

Can anyone explain why AA still has the 767 showing on its website for July (JFK-MIA)? is it yet to be removed from the online schedule?

chonetsao

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:29 pm

hsaviation wrote:
Can anyone explain why AA still has the 767 showing on its website for July (JFK-MIA)? is it yet to be removed from the online schedule?

It takes time to update whole system as the priority now is to work out the schedule for March/April/May/June first, also have a contingency plan for post 30 days EU-ban.

Strato2

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:57 pm

Chemist wrote:

The virus is the death of the 777X. Nobody will want such a large plane with the risks of another pandemic. Luckily almost all Superjumbos have been delivered.

Weatherwatcher1

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:35 pm

Some good information was posted on what could happen. https://thepointsguy.com/news/us-airlin ... ronavirus/

Alaska could lease return
Alaska: If the Seattle-based carrier does need to trim its fleet, it may accelerate the retirement of some of its leased Airbus A320 family jets in 2021, Minicucci said

American has fleet simplication beyond just 757 and 767 retirement

American Airlines sees an opportunity to step up some of its ongoing fleet plans with the capacity reductions it announced Tuesday. Possibilities include accelerating its “Project Oasis” program that is adding seats to both its Airbus A321s and 737-800s, as well as retiring its Boeing 767-300ER and E190 fleets early.

“We’ve talked about wanting to simplify our fleet,” American president Robert Isom said at the conference. “This is an opportunity for us to certainly fast-forward any projects… and also take a look at where we want to be with our fleet as a whole.”

The ban on most European travel may accelerate a decision on American’s remaining 17 767s, which are due to be retired next year. The aircraft, as well as some of its 34 Boeing 757-200s, could be retired amid what are undoubtedly significant cuts coming to the airline’s Atlantic flying.

Delta has many older planes. MD88/90 could be first, but we could also see the older A320s go as well as 757s and 767s

Delta: One possibility on the table for the Atlanta-based carrier is retiring its fleet of 77 MD-88s and MD-90s up to two years earlier than previously planned. Delta executives outlined just such a possibility at a Raymond James conference on March 2.

JetBlue was leasing airplanes since they were short planes due the extensive A321neo delays. That shortfall should address some of their over capacity

JetBlue Airways CEO Robin Hayes indicated no change in the airline’s fleet plans due to the 5% capacity cut it is making from March through mid-May. The New York-based carrier already trimmed growth plans — and cut capacity in non-core markets — due to A321neo delivery delays.

Spirit could see A319s go

Spirit:

“A lot of this is going to depend on the duration of the impact,” said Haralson when asked whether Spirit could retire some of its A319s or defer future deliveries.

United has older 757s and 767s, but those fit a premium spot in the network. It’s harder to know what UA will do. It depends on business travel. CRJs could certainly be parked

“We will not be taking delivery of a single aircraft… unless it is fully financed until the crisis is over,” he said. Airlines always weigh paying cash for new aircraft or financing them with a range of possible products, including a loan or funds from an aircraft leasing company.

KlimaBXsst

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:02 am

Once the MAX gets certificated this sure seems it could be a bit of a detriment to the Big E2 and A220 after this most recent shock to the industry is over.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:02 am

Other suggestion is that SilkAir (Singapore) has only fewer A320s in service and I expect they will retire all of them anytime soon.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

musman9853

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 am

Strato2 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

The virus is the death of the 777X. Nobody will want such a large plane with the risks of another pandemic. Luckily almost all Superjumbos have been delivered.

This is a once in a century pandemic. It's possible it could have an impact, but it's unlikely over the entire lifespan of the program
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

smartplane

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:13 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
VS probably will defer delivery of the A350K's outfitted with high-density interiors to replace the B744's to avoid taking on any additional capital costs during this crisis.

Only with the agreement of Airbus and the financiers involved. If all else fails, in situations like this, customers want QR style meticulous quality inspections, to create a lengthy and time consuming list to defer settlement / delivery. And currently, if the personnel required are not already on site, it's handy if they can't get there because borders are closed / they are already in quarantine.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:25 am

With KLM retiring 744, I bet AF should follow in early retirement of A380 as well.

Scotron12

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:08 pm

lightsaber wrote:
It is sad when types are retired. The sudden drop in traffic has necessitated a rapid drop in fleet needs.

From this link:
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... -757-200-1

Almost all of this is accelerating planned retirements:

AA retiring 752 by 2021.
AA accelerating 763ER to May
KLM accelerating 744 retirement to end of month (March 2020).
QF is retiring 744s, but I don't think this is accelerating retirement.
Speculation on DL accelerating MD-88/90 retirement. With DL parking hundreds of aircraft, I believe the older T-tails are doomed.
VS accelerating A346 retirement, but only a few months.

I personally think that there are several types whose economy of scale will drop to low to be viable, but not those with large cargo fleets.

Lightsaber

If all those older frames are scrapped, where will they go? Airlines will be lining up to get space in the current scrapping yards, no?

bennett123

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Places like GYR will be on OT to clear some types that are not going to come back.

garpd

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Strato2 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

If that is true, you'll see all super jumbos retired quite soon.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Revelation

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:07 pm

garpd wrote:
Strato2 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

A380 was already seeing retirements and buybacks before CV. A380 economics were already a challenge. 777x hasn't even had EIS and has state of the art economics. A380's size means it has 40-60% more seats to fill so it's in a class all its own. I think airlines will try to defer new purchases for a while, but recovery from CV is inevitable.

Arion640

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:08 pm

garpd wrote:
Strato2 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Doubt it. Most are young and are on long term leases. You’ll see 747’s going first such as with KLM.

Scotron12

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Arion640 wrote:
garpd wrote:
Strato2 wrote:

Doubt it. Most are young and are on long term leases. You’ll see 747’s going first such as with KLM.

Haa Boeing announced a cut off date to order 777ERs?

Revelation

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:28 pm

Arion640 wrote:
garpd wrote:
Strato2 wrote:

I agree that frames on their way to retirement such as KLMs 747s and VS's A340s are quite vulnerable, yet AF decided to retire off its entire fleet of young A380s on long term leases before CV hit, so there are other dynamics to factor into the decisions that are now facing many airlines. Retiring an entire fleet of aircraft that already wasn't making money could make a lot of difference to the bottom line, especially if that fleet is pretty small.

Scotron12

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:44 pm

Revelation wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
garpd wrote:

I agree that frames on their way to retirement such as KLMs 747s and VS's A340s are quite vulnerable, yet AF decided to retire off its entire fleet of young A380s on long term leases before CV hit, so there are other dynamics to factor into the decisions that are now facing many airlines. Retiring an entire fleet of aircraft that already wasn't making money could make a lot of difference to the bottom line, especially if that fleet is pretty small.

Care to elaborate which airlines have publically stated they are not making money on the A380?. it may not work for AF, but I've not heard any from LH or BA.

UA947

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Revelation wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

QF is down to operating 2 and it seems AF is down to a similar number.

Really?? Let me know when they start flying again OK?
In the mean time, while I'm posting this:
VH-OQA is en route, VH-OQB in LHR, VH-OQC en route, VH-OQE en route, VH-OQF en route, VH-OQH en route, VH-OQI in SIN, VH-OQJ in LAX, VH-OQK also in LAX and VH-OQL en route.
Oh yes there are two not flying: VH-OQD in AUH for maintenance and VH-OQG in DRS for modifications.
F-HPJA just landed CDG, F-HPJD landed this morning, F-HPJE en route, F-HPJF just landed CDG, F-HPJH en route, F-HPJI in JNB, F-HPJJ en route.
F-HPJC in AUH for maintenance and OH LOOK F-HPJG is parked since two days.
I'm not going on a Boeing

Revelation

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Care to elaborate which airlines have publically stated they are not making money on the A380?. it may not work for AF, but I've not heard any from LH or BA.

LH is selling six A380 back to Airbus which indicates they are not making enough money with these A380 to justify keeping them ( ref: https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-sells-airbus-a380s/ ).

UA947 wrote:
Really?? Let me know when they start flying again OK?
In the mean time, while I'm posting this:
VH-OQA is en route, VH-OQB in LHR, VH-OQC en route, VH-OQE en route, VH-OQF en route, VH-OQH en route, VH-OQI in SIN, VH-OQJ in LAX, VH-OQK also in LAX and VH-OQL en route.
Oh yes there are two not flying: VH-OQD in AUH for maintenance and VH-OQG in DRS for modifications.
F-HPJA just landed CDG, F-HPJD landed this morning, F-HPJE en route, F-HPJF just landed CDG, F-HPJH en route, F-HPJI in JNB, F-HPJJ en route.
F-HPJC in AUH for maintenance and OH LOOK F-HPJG is parked since two days.

Some links to show the bigger picture:

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-a ... 6a5e7aad00

https://www.flightglobal.com/fleets/air ... 24.article

UA947

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Scotron12 wrote:

If all those older frames are scrapped, where will they go?

https://www.coca-cola.com/
I'm not going on a Boeing

BealineV953

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:54 pm

UA947 wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

If all those older frames are scrapped, where will they go?

https://www.coca-cola.com/

Thanks for making me laugh. :lol:
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’

uta999

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Hopefully a couple of BA 744 will end up at Duxford or another museum in the UK.
Your computer just got better

VRHNM

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:28 pm

SQ now retiring their 777-200ER aircraft in April, 1 month earlier than planned.

Source:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... XJyimpVp74

LDRA

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:33 pm

How do the economics compare between passage aircraft flying belly cargo only vs dedicated freighter?

Scotron12

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Willie Walsh of IAG was speaking today on plans for IAG airlines to cut capacity at BA, IB & EI.

BA haa over 30 B744s...IB has 16 A346s and EI some A330s that will be parked and maybe not reenter service. Plus there are around 20 narrowbodies too. All are fully depreciated.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/i ... 96.article

WOW....almost 70 aircraft gone in next 2 months... :crazy:

JannEejit

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:50 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Willie Walsh of IAG was speaking today on plans for IAG airlines to cut capacity at BA, IB & EI.

BA haa over 30 B744s...IB has 16 A346s and EI some A330s that will be parked and maybe not reenter service. Plus there are around 20 narrowbodies too. All are fully depreciated.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/i ... 96.article

WOW....almost 70 aircraft gone in next 2 months... :crazy:

Six BA A321's and one A320 are departing LHR on Tuesday morning for storage at GLA. Presumably because they can be looked after by BAMG.

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:39 am

VRHNM wrote:
SQ now retiring their 777-200ER aircraft in April, 1 month earlier than planned.

Source:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... XJyimpVp74

And the A333 can follow suit as well in early retirement. Plus, SQ subsidiary MI could also see A320s early retirement as well anytime soon.

tullamarine

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:18 am

QF is parking all of its 744s by the end of March. It is possible they will never return to service which is a sad end for the type. QF has been planning a farewell program similar to what they did with the 767. This may still happen but a lot more uncertain now than it was.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

afterburner

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:31 am

SQ789 wrote:
Other suggestion is that SilkAir (Singapore) has only fewer A320s in service and I expect they will retire all of them anytime soon.

Will it be more useful to transfer it to Scoot because SQ may need to downgrade some of its routes to be served by Silk Air and some of Silk Air's to Scoot?

Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 am

afterburner wrote:
SQ789 wrote:

Will it be more useful to transfer it to Scoot because SQ may need to downgrade some of its routes to be served by Silk Air and some of Silk Air's to Scoot?

Yes. But unfortunately, some of their Indonesian network will soon be transferred to Scoot soon. They are Balikpapan, Jogjakarta, Lombok, Makassar, Manado and Semarang in May and June 2020. And yes, it will be more useful if their only last remaining route due to transferred to Scoot at the end of May instead of original date planned.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t%20manado

Sokes

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:29 am

Strato2 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

How many years until B777-9 will be delivered in significant numbers?
In an epidemic airlines will have to idle maybe 50%, maybe 80% of capacity. What does it matter if they idle two small or one big plane? And changing a daily service to three times per week in such a situation is acceptable.
If A380s get retired it means that there are not enough city pairs that justify that capacity for an airline. That doesn't mean that most will get retired soon.
B767 doesn't have a modern competitor with similar capacity. A380 also won't have a competitor.
At any rate I don't see A380 retirements caused by Corona, unless the plane was meant to be returned to the lessor within the next four months anyway.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

jfk777

Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:20 am

Strato2 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

If the 777X is too big then the A350-1000 is too big too. The A350-1000 is 77W sized, the 777-9 is only marginally larger. While many 77W fleets are largely post 2010 deliveries, many are pre 2009.

afterburner

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:16 pm

SQ789 wrote:
Yes. But unfortunately, some of their Indonesian network will soon be transferred to Scoot soon. They are Balikpapan, Jogjakarta, Lombok, Makassar, Manado and Semarang in May and June 2020. And yes, it will be more useful if their only last remaining route due to transferred to Scoot at the end of May instead of original date planned.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t%20manado

The transfers to Scoot make sense because the routes are leisure ones,except maybe Balikpapan.

lightsaber
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:27 pm

mxaxai wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

LH cargo is reportedly looking at delaying MD-11 retirement as the sudden drop in passenger aircraft flights has greatly reduced the volume available for belly cargo. Also considers flying empty passenger aircraft, with belly cargo only. So there might be some older cargo aircraft that benefit from the situation.

As the economics of flying an old freighter is much better than flying belly cargo only, the older cargo will benefit until a HMV is required. The supply chains won't be able to spool up for a massive increase in out of date parts demand. But that will be a stay of execution for many older cargo aircraft.

For 77W, 333, 738, and A321, a ready cargo market will convert them. I suspect the 757 and 767 market has mostly aged out.

Seeing so many Aircraft parked is sad.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

sxb

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:16 am

What about AF remaining 4 A343?
SXB

par13del

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:21 pm

The price of oil, has it fallen far enough for the cost analysis of making payments for new a/c versus running older a/c with less efficient engines to be worthwhile? The current oil situation may be around for 12 months or more as multiple battles are being fought simultaneously.

lightsaber
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:11 pm

par13del wrote:
The price of oil, has it fallen far enough for the cost analysis of making payments for new a/c versus running older a/c with less efficient engines to be worthwhile? The current oil situation may be around for 12 months or more as multiple battles are being fought simultaneously.

Yes, because airlines must preserve cash. But only for smaller aircraft. It will be a long time, probably too long, before a 744 could be profitably filled. Until a HMV is required. Then a decision must be made.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

uta999

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:19 pm

BA have implied that their 744s will probably be retired now. Will one or two be saved for a UK museum, or even on display at LHR somewhere?
Your computer just got better

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos