Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blueflyer

Re: COVID-19 Cargo Discussion Thread (Cargo Operators and Passenger Airlines Operating Cargo Only Flights)

Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:11 pm

trex8 wrote:
Would cargo eg routed HKG-ANC-ORD be cabotage just because they change equipment in ANC??

There are two definitions of cabotage. What you propose is consecutive cabotage, aka "8th freedom of the air" or the right granted by a country to a foreign carrier to transport traffic between two points within the country on a service that originates or terminates outside of the granting country. There is no blanket ban against this type of cabotage in the US as multiple cargo airlines have been granted that right, however the only one I am aware of where it involves a change of equipment is Qantas with its LAX-JFK service. I do not know whether Qantas needed specific approval for the change of equipment though.

(the other definition of cabotage is stand-alone cabotage, aka "9th freedom of the air" or the right for foreign carriers to operate domestic flights within a country with no link to an international service - what EU airlines can do within the EU borders)

Spacepope wrote:
I think likely. QF serves JFK from LAX but there is no equipment swap or shuffling of cans and no issue there. Direct P2P with the pax-freighters would probably be easiest and cheapest, as you'd only have to bulk load the upper deck once. 777/747 ULD's won't nearly fit on A330s no matter how hard you yell and swear at them.

Not quite. The LAX-JFK leg is not only continuing service of whichever Australian city the aircraft came from (I believe it has originated in SYD, MEL, and BNE over the years). Passengers and cargo bound for NYC and coming off any of Qantas' flights into LAX can and do connect to the LAX-JFK leg, constituting for all but one Australian city "equipment swap or shuffling of cans."

As a matter of fact, I was told once that cargo was the reason the LAX-JFK leg exists. Qantas has enough cargo volume to/from NYC and the Mid-Atlantic that it is more profitable to fly it all the way to JFK (not like the aircraft would be better used elsewhere anyway) than to let American Airlines handle the domestic legs and lose that portion of the revenue.

delta762

DL3343 to ORD?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:14 pm

I have noticed recently that DL has flights out of ORD to FRA on a 772. Anyone know why?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL3343

Delta762

chepos

Re: DL3343 to ORD?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:15 pm

Cargo flight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

wxw507

Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:11 pm

They operate cargo only flight on ORD-FRA route for couple weeks

gabik001

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:32 pm

DAL3341 also operates same route since three weeks now.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

dfwjim1

FedEx and UPS rule the skies over the U.S.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:31 pm

I was up at 6 am EST today and decided to take a look at Flightaware for aircraft over the United States. Without a lot of passenger airliners in the skies it was amazing how many planes FedEx, UPS and smaller air cargo carriers have in the skies at that time of the day.

Just an observation...

n92r03

Re: FedEx and UPS rule the skies over the U.S.

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:39 pm

Yes they do, along with Amazon. I can't believe the amount of 767's that are in and out of TPA these days.

devron

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Same in Europe. I really miss flying, the louge, the take-off. Depressing right

jfern022

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Lot of mail going back and forth too

jetblueguy22

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:20 pm

Have to remember how the fleets work though as well. At that time of day the night sorts have all gone down And everything is in the air. Most passenger airlines are just kicking off the day
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

bigb

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:43 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Have to remember how the fleets work though as well. At that time of day the night sorts have all gone down And everything is in the air. Most passenger airlines are just kicking off the day

This is true. By 6am, at lot of the east coast early show are usually getting into the east coast hubs for the 7-8am morning banks.

Sopwith

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Along with many domestic carriers. Have a look at Flightradar24. Compare the air traffic over America compared to the rest of the world. So much for lockdown!!

DITOSP

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:09 pm

I was awake at midnight Pacific time so I decided to listen to Liveatc for a while. I'm an ex-UPSer so I tuned into SDF and ANC. One of the flights leaving ANC was UPS0071. When I was working, that flight routed SZX-ANC-SDF. I took a look at it in flight aware and saw that it was going ANC-CGN ! I thought that it was a adhoc or ferry flight but I saw in Flightaware that it went the same route on 4/21 also. I'm trying to figure out what it was carrying. Normally Europe volume leaving Asia will route ICN westbound to CGN. Any US volume going to Europe would go eastbound from SDF to CGN or other points (CDG, LHR, etc). I guess I'll have to contact one of my friends to find out what's going on.

miguel0881

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:50 pm

I have been noting a ton of FedEx planes coming in/out of IAD from MEM, ANC, EWR, etc. on Flightaware. Way more than unusual I believe. Anyone have any idea why there is so much traffic these days?

jetblueguy22

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:45 pm

DITOSP wrote:
I was awake at midnight Pacific time so I decided to listen to Liveatc for a while. I'm an ex-UPSer so I tuned into SDF and ANC. One of the flights leaving ANC was UPS0071. When I was working, that flight routed SZX-ANC-SDF. I took a look at it in flight aware and saw that it was going ANC-CGN ! I thought that it was a adhoc or ferry flight but I saw in Flightaware that it went the same route on 4/21 also. I'm trying to figure out what it was carrying. Normally Europe volume leaving Asia will route ICN westbound to CGN. Any US volume going to Europe would go eastbound from SDF to CGN or other points (CDG, LHR, etc). I guess I'll have to contact one of my friends to find out what's going on.

Lots of AD-Hocs being put up to move backlogged volume and medical equipment
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

jetblueguy22

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:46 pm

miguel0881 wrote:
I have been noting a ton of FedEx planes coming in/out of IAD from MEM, ANC, EWR, etc. on Flightaware. Way more than unusual I believe. Anyone have any idea why there is so much traffic these days?

Because everyone is home and ordering everything they can online. Package boys haven’t slowed down. It’s like December right now...

catiii

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:19 am

I took a look last night around 2200L in NYC, and it was all FedEx/UPS with a few one off LHR bound flights ex EWR/JFK. Amazing.

DITOSP

Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:34 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
DITOSP wrote:

Lots of AD-Hocs being put up to move backlogged volume and medical equipment

Ah, thanks Jetbluguy. Makes sense. China factories opened back up and are pumping product out. Carriers are utilizing all available space on any aircraft and using every lane to get it to destination. interesting to watch.

Planeboy17

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:43 am

All above are correct and have been going on now for a couple of weeks. However, today they had a 777 fly ORD-BOM.

jayunited

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
All above are correct and have been going on now for a couple of weeks. However, today they had a 777 fly ORD-BOM.

More than likely their ORD-BOM-XXX flight is a State Department flight.

UA has been operating SFO-DEL-SFO 1x weekly or sometimes 2x weekly for some time bringing American's home from all over India. The flight goes out empty but comes home in many cases completely full with grateful Americans. I had no idea how many Americans lived abroad until this crisis, in addition to India UA is still operating State Department flights from locations in Central and South America.

Q

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:38 pm

medical supplies. I believe.

Q

panamair

Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:54 pm

All of Delta's all-cargo flights are currently DL33XX. Repatriation flights are DL88XX.
Current all-cargo flights include:
ORD-FRA
ATL-ICN
DTW-ICN-PVG
LAX-ICN-PVG

The India flights are repatriation flights for Americans in India organized with the State Dept. UA is handling DEL-SFO while DL is doing BOM-ATL. The DEL flights are for folks in the northern and eastern part of India, while those in the south and west are told to go to BOM to catch the DL flight.

_AA_777_MAN

Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:18 pm

panamair wrote:
All of Delta's all-cargo flights are currently DL33XX. Repatriation flights are DL88XX.
Current all-cargo flights include:
ORD-FRA
ATL-ICN
DTW-ICN-PVG
LAX-ICN-PVG

The India flights are repatriation flights for Americans in India organized with the State Dept. UA is handling DEL-SFO while DL is doing BOM-ATL. The DEL flights are for folks in the northern and eastern part of India, while those in the south and west are told to go to BOM to catch the DL flight.

The ORD-BOM flight was DL3302 a Boeing 777-232LR reg. N708DN. Was this a cargo flight then?

gabik001

Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:59 am

Seems like yes. Aircraft arrived day before yesterday from ATL so if this would be just repatriation the it would fly directly from ATL to BOM. I think it brought some cargo to India and will bring passengers.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

FlyingElvii

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:11 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
miguel0881 wrote:

Because everyone is home and ordering everything they can online. Package boys haven’t slowed down. It’s like December right now...

Fedex just happened to have spare capacity, due to the Amazon fallout. And you can bet they are getting a premium for it, too.

HPRamper

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:02 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:
miguel0881 wrote:

Fedex just happened to have spare capacity, due to the Amazon fallout. And you can bet they are getting a premium for it, too.

Pretty much all of that spare capacity is being used by the USPS right now. Flights are very full with adhocs and postal charters throughout the system - but it's USPS volume that is driving that, not FedEx freight.

jreeves96

Re: COVID-19 Cargo Discussion Thread (Cargo Operators and Passenger Airlines Operating Cargo Only Flights)

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:22 pm

I, as a loadmaster, had the opportunity and honor to work a Project Airbridge flight on N702GT PVG-ANC, then onward to ORD. Airplane full of masks. Shanghainese were very compassionate and willing to do any and everything to help. I am eager to work the same flight again in a few days.

mercure1

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Due to lack of cargo capacity in the region, Caribbean Airlines will utilize its B737-800 and ATR72 to transport essential goods. Initial markets will be Antigua, Barbados, Curacao, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Nassau, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Vincent, Suriname and Trinidad & Tobago.

https://newsroom.aviator.aero/caribbean ... r-service/
mercure f-wtcc

wjcandee

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:46 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Due to lack of cargo capacity in the region, Caribbean Airlines will utilize its B737-800 and ATR72 to transport essential goods. Initial markets will be Antigua, Barbados, Curacao, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Nassau, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Vincent, Suriname and Trinidad & Tobago.

https://newsroom.aviator.aero/caribbean ... r-service/

Maybe they'll be able actually to make some money... :flamed:

But seriously, this would be a big time for Amerijet in that region, but they also have commitments to UPS and others to fly some longer stages with their aircraft, so I'm not surprised that there's a need.

asuflyer

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:55 am

Some aircraft landing in PVG and China for the first time ever all to pickup Covid supplies very far away from home.

https://www.weibo.com/u/1899957437?is_all=1

SRQLOT

LOT 787s adapted as temporary cargo carriers?

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:45 am

LOT is asking Boeing to temporarily adapt its 787s as cargo carriers. "If approved it would be the first airline in the world for such transport."
So does this mean it would be different then just removing seats, or placing new FAA approved cargo on seats or it would be the first 787s to do such a thing? We all have seen vids of carriers doing both with cargo in passenger aircraft. What other adaptation could there be? How long would it take to make any changes and then return to carrying passengers?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/polands-lot- ... 09113.html
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

blueflyer

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:58 am

wjcandee wrote:
But seriously, this would be a big time for Amerijet in that region, but they also have commitments to UPS and others to fly some longer stages with their aircraft, so I'm not surprised that there's a need.

On the subject of Amerijet, they are now flying twice weekly to BRU. Is it virus-related or a coincidence? AFAIK this is their first scheduled operations into Europe.

Tankdiver

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:36 am

LAX the past two weeks saw a lot of Hainan and Xiamen flights. Some days we get as much as five Hainan flight from PEK, PVG, and even one from WUH(Wuhan). As you might guessed, they are mostly PPE. Many of the HU flights carries cargo in the cabin which requires ground crew to enter the cabin while wearing protective suits to remove the cargo nets and passing boxes hand to hand toward the front and rear door. There the boxes are put on a conveyor belt down to cargo bins. Air China(CA) this week sent three to four B773ER daily with cargo as well.

On this flight that I was working, Hainan HU763 (PEK to LAX)flown by an A330. I think it was the first time they brought an A330 to LAX. I have so many of these photos, it would take me a whole day to post it.

The flight crew in full PPE

The ground crew wearing PPE getting ready to enter the cabin to unload cargo.

AKairboss

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:00 am

Perfectly legal at ANC. They have a special cargo exemption that allows change of gage operations.

blueflyer wrote:
trex8 wrote:
Would cargo eg routed HKG-ANC-ORD be cabotage just because they change equipment in ANC??

There are two definitions of cabotage. What you propose is consecutive cabotage, aka "8th freedom of the air" or the right granted by a country to a foreign carrier to transport traffic between two points within the country on a service that originates or terminates outside of the granting country. There is no blanket ban against this type of cabotage in the US as multiple cargo airlines have been granted that right, however the only one I am aware of where it involves a change of equipment is Qantas with its LAX-JFK service. I do not know whether Qantas needed specific approval for the change of equipment though.

(the other definition of cabotage is stand-alone cabotage, aka "9th freedom of the air" or the right for foreign carriers to operate domestic flights within a country with no link to an international service - what EU airlines can do within the EU borders)

Spacepope wrote:
I think likely. QF serves JFK from LAX but there is no equipment swap or shuffling of cans and no issue there. Direct P2P with the pax-freighters would probably be easiest and cheapest, as you'd only have to bulk load the upper deck once. 777/747 ULD's won't nearly fit on A330s no matter how hard you yell and swear at them.

Not quite. The LAX-JFK leg is not only continuing service of whichever Australian city the aircraft came from (I believe it has originated in SYD, MEL, and BNE over the years). Passengers and cargo bound for NYC and coming off any of Qantas' flights into LAX can and do connect to the LAX-JFK leg, constituting for all but one Australian city "equipment swap or shuffling of cans."

As a matter of fact, I was told once that cargo was the reason the LAX-JFK leg exists. Qantas has enough cargo volume to/from NYC and the Mid-Atlantic that it is more profitable to fly it all the way to JFK (not like the aircraft would be better used elsewhere anyway) than to let American Airlines handle the domestic legs and lose that portion of the revenue.

N212R

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:15 pm

In "serious" studies, the virus has been shown active up to 24 hours on cardboard. What's the point in all the bluster if we're going to continue to buy Chinese made products?

blandy62

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:58 am

there have been some unusual visitor in HKG. The Olympus 757 is coming every few days, Dreamlifter was here last week. Also Asia Pacific 757 was here last week.
Today there was a Aegean A320N here, I assume for some cargo flying to ATH via ALA

LAXintl

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:43 am

Atlas Air on Sunday pulled out a 3rd previously parked B744BCF (N473MC) from Marana due ongoing strong traffic demand.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jumbojettony

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:11 am

AN225 on its way to China to pick up some supplies then headed to Montreal (Ymx). Supposed to arrive Thursday around 8pm.

Tankdiver

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:55 am

Tomorrow April 29, LAX cargo flights by Chinese carriers. Most of these flight has cargo in the cabin too. Most of the cargo are PPE.

Hainan Airlines has seven flights, with cargo in the cabin
HU449 WUH LAX B789
HU763 PEK LAX A333
HU773 SZX LAX B789
HU451 WUH LAX A333
HU7923 CSX LAX B789
HU7941 PVG LAX A333
HU737 FOC LAX B789

Air China has five flights:
CA649 PEK LAX B773ER
CA887 PEK LAX B773ER
CA987 PEK LAX B773ER
CA601 PEK LAX B773ER
CA983 PEK LAX B773ER

Xiamen Airlines has four flights:
MF8889 B789
MF8891 B789
MF8883 B789
MF857 B789

I've also noticed for the past two to three days, CX has four to five aircraft at the same here as well. Today they brought three A350-1000 and two B777-300ER.

Cory6188

F/As on cargo-only flights?

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:13 pm

Given the increase in the number of cargo-only flights being operated by conventional passenger airlines, do these flights have any sort of a requirement for cabin crew? Can the pilots operate a flight as the only crew on board?

I realize that the likes of UPS, FedEx, and DHL don't have cabin crew, but I'd be curious as to what the regulations are for a passenger airline operating cargo-only flights.

drdisque

Re: F/As on cargo-only flights?

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:17 pm

No, if there are no passengers there is no requirement for Flight Attendants.

Same as a ferry flight.

Eagleboy

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:20 pm

EASA regs reguire fire fighting trained staff to monitor the cabin. Cargo holds have fire suppression equipment, there are none in the cabin.
I think it was SQ who have cabin crew onboard. I know Aer Lingus trained their engineers in fire fighting so they could function in the cabin crew role on these cargo only flights.

WesternDC6B

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:23 pm

Overnight freight gets snacks and water.
Overnight with 10AM delivery get full meal service and complementary adult beverages.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

tonystan

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:27 pm

BA is carrying cabin crew on many cargo flights for fire watch duty.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

dm22

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:35 pm

United is putting FA's in the cabin also.
2 on narrowbodies
4 on widebodies
Only one crewmember can take a rest break at a time. All others must be awake.

ericm2031

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:41 pm

For the US, I'm not sure there is much in the pilot and F/A contracts regarding cargo-only flights, but I know the pilots do have provisions to be fed by the F/As in most contracts, so this is probably why they are being used.

Also, looks like AS is going to have cargo in seats and will have F/A's onboard to watch over the cargo, awaiting FAA approval.

https://www.king5.com/article/tech/scie ... e1175b14e9

BravoOne

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:51 pm

tonystan wrote:
BA is carrying cabin crew on many cargo flights for fire watch duty.

BA, (BOAC) use to assign a flight attendant to most all 707 freightesr fot the purpose of serving the flight deck crew. I think the position went quite senior.

FlyDeltaJets

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm

dm22 wrote:
2 on narrowbodies
4 on widebodies

We are not flying cargo sections with flight attendants, at least we certainly aren't from SFO
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

Jongum

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:05 pm

FlyDeltaJets wrote:
dm22 wrote:
2 on narrowbodies
4 on widebodies

We are not flying cargo sections with flight attendants, at least we certainly aren't from SFO

It's only required if there is cargo in the cabin.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos