Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Newark727

Re: COVID-19 Cargo Discussion Thread (Cargo Operators and Passenger Airlines Operating Cargo Only Flights)

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:18 pm

Does anyone have the tail numbers of the Air Canada 777-300ERs that have had their seats taken out for cargo?

wjcandee

Re: Odd flight: GUM-LAX n/s, UA 2797. Anyone with insight shed any details? Currently airborne

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:33 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
UA has been flying LAX-GUM-LAX and SFO-GUM-SFO for at least a month now or so. Cargo flights...mostly military related as I understand it

Yeah, but the actual route for this flight, since early May, has been LAX-GUM-PVG-GUM-LAX.

wjcandee

Re: COVID-19 Cargo Discussion Thread (Cargo Operators and Passenger Airlines Operating Cargo Only Flights)

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:42 pm

tofen wrote:
I've enjoyed reading your informative posts on the "Air Bridge" carriers, wjcandee. Both here and in the Amazon thread.

Do you by any chance have an idea on how these smaller carriers stack up against the big 747 operators? It would be interesting to see how the big boys, Atlas, Kalitta, Polar and even UPS, are doing.
Are FedEx also flying the Air Bridge flights that UPS are organizing? Or is their operation separate?
How about Southern? Are they flying Air Bridge or are they busy with increased DHL volumes?

Are any Air Bridge freight flown on foreign carriers? Or is it N-reg only?
I'm sure all the big Asian carriers has also had to step up their game with the increased volumes.
Looking at FR24 and seeing all the heavies going in and out of ANC is truly impressive!

Thanks! It looks like the US-Gov't Air Bridge flights have been mostly on US carriers. That said, could some of the Volga-Dnepr flights have been chartered by UPS? I think it's possible.

Also, many of the Asia-ANC-US flights have clearly been arranged by various consolidators. DHL is also using Western Global and others to supplement its normally-contracted lift.

On Air Bridge specifically, UPS is the prime contractor, and subcontracted out a bunch of flying to FedEx, as well as Kalitta, Atlas/Polar, Sky Lease, Western Global, National, etc. Plainly, the Asian carriers are throwing everything they have at the route as well. Cargolux is in there. There's a British carrier that had suspended operation of its two 747s, and returned its certificate; it recently got its certificate reissued and is apparently now flying to/from Asia. I think Southern is fully-committed to DHL work at the moment, but I'm sure if the opportunity presented itself to do some more, and they had the pilots/aircraft, they would.

The FedEx 9000-series flights, mostly on MD11s, are Air Bridge, is my understanding. The regular flight numbers are for FedEx.

You're right; it's kind of fun to see all that extra volume through ANC right now!

Steveaviation1

Why 3 UA flights heading to NRT?

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:06 pm

This may be a silly question, but why are there 3 UA flights (2863; 2821; 2838) in the air heading from ORD to NRT right now? All three of them left pretty early this morning. Last few weeks I've seen them fly over my house in Southeast WI around the same time (6 a.m. or so). Are they repositioning flights? Just wondering...

x1234

Re: Why 3 UA flights heading to NRT?

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:12 pm

Cargo. Air Freight rates have jumped 30-50% due to lack of capacity. UA is using its wide-bodies to transport cargo.

iadbudd

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:27 pm

They had been running a daily IAD-NRT cargo flight as well until it recently stopped. Left just before 6am in order to get to Tokyo early AM which is more beneficial for the freight forwarders in Japan. If it was a passenger flight it would have left around noon to arrive Japan in the afternoon for passengers connections. The flight actually continued on to PEK and then returned PEK-NRT-IAD. They were running other cargo flights only to DUB, BRU,FRA and SJU. Many airlines are doing this. Some even are loading cargo in the main cabin as well and strapping them down over the seats.

Steveaviation1

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:46 pm

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks much for both of your insights!

iadbudd

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:43 pm

Also UA is using 4 digit flight numbers for their cargo only flights that start with 28XX. Normal Asian passenger UA flights are three digit starting with 8XX.

wjcandee

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:43 am

Just an update on last week's "little carriers" COVID-flights report.

Sky Lease continues to keep N903AR and N904AR (Factory 747Fs) running at a remarkable pace. 2-3 hours per stop and then on to the next one, 24/7.

National Cargo is close behind with N919CA and N952CA (Converted 747-400s). 919CA has been in SAT since Tuesday, presumably for maintenance. Again, they run these hard and reliably.

Western Global continues to earn the Missed Opportunity Award, with currently 8 (or maybe 7) of its 16-aircraft fleet flyable.

***They still have N497MC (747-400 factory F), N435KD and N804SN (MD11s) in SHV, the first two of which were flown there from the desert to be readied for service in this multi-month opportunity. 497 flew there April 22, while 435KD flew there May 3. It's now June 12. Sigh.

***"Active" Fleet at SHV for Maintenance: Total of 3 MD11s: N546JN (something serious; flown there 5/23); N415JN (flown there 6/8 after sitting at SDF since 6/2); 543JN (just arrived; maybe, cross-fingers, for a check).

***"Active" Fleet on the ground out of service: Currently 2 MD11s sitting at ANC: N411SN (since it did an air return on 6/6) and 581JN (for about 30 hours now). Also, 747F N344KD has been in ANC for 12 hours now; I will give it the benefit of the doubt and not yet count it out of service.

Currently Active and not broken: 747s: N344KD (we hope); N356KD. MD11s: N412SN; N513SN; N799JN; N545JN; N542KD; N512JN.

So that's 6 of 11 "active" MD11s (of 13 total) currently working, 5 broken; 2 in heavy maintenance.
And of the 747 fleet of 3, one is in heavy maintenance, one is sitting an unusually-long time at ANC today (it could be broken or it could be waiting for a crew or something else), and one is flying.

In a market where they all potentially have work like never before, such a missed opportunity...

Amwest2United

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:33 am

Steveaviation1 wrote:
This may be a silly question, but why are there 3 UA flights (2863; 2821; 2838) in the air heading from ORD to NRT right now? All three of them left pretty early this morning. Last few weeks I've seen them fly over my house in Southeast WI around the same time (6 a.m. or so). Are they repositioning flights? Just wondering...

There were actually 4 flights ORD-NRT on Friday, F2820, F2821, F2838, F2863

UA has 2 daily ORD-NRT, 1 ORD-NRT-PEK and 1 ORD-NRT-PVG, then 2 days a week there are 2 additional ORD-NRT-PEK flights, for 4.

UA is currently using 2765-2865 and 3330-3364 for cargo flying, they keep expanding the number ranges.

Flights 2500-2599 are various Charter related flying (Actual Charters, Charter Ferry)
Flights 2686-2764 are Ferry/Test flights of different types
Flights 2765-2865 are Cargo flights
Flights 3010-3049 are Extra (added) Passenger flights
Flights 3330-3364 are Cargo-In-Cabin flights
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

wjcandee

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:18 am

So a little update on Western Global. As of today, they got 415JN back in service from SHV, and 581JN back in service from ANC. 344KD (747) did hang around ANC for almost a day, but is back flying now. Nothing else (cross-fingers) seems to have broken in the meantime.

So, the current totals are: Of 16 aircraft, 3 are being readied for service at SHV after storage, one is broken at SHV, one is getting a brief check at SHV, and 411SN is on its 7th day at ANC after an air-return on its way from ANC to ICN, followed by a 30-minute test flight later that day, since which it has been grounded. So 10 out of the fleet of 16 are now in service, or, put another way 10 out of the 13 "active" aircraft are in service. And there's no doubt that there's business for these aircraft when they are flyable; once they're fixed, they go right onto a revenue flight.

crownvic

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Would anyone know why Emirates recently ran a few domestic flights to Orlando MCO from EWR and ORD and then onward to Dubai with a 777-300? Orlando still gets a healthy dose of daily cargo movements but I have not seen any specific dedicated PPE or repatriation flights thus far.

VCVSpotter

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:39 pm

crownvic wrote:
Would anyone know why Emirates recently ran a few domestic flights to Orlando MCO from EWR and ORD and then onward to Dubai with a 777-300? Orlando still gets a healthy dose of daily cargo movements but I have not seen any specific dedicated PPE or repatriation flights thus far.

Emirates has been running dedicated 777-300ER freighter services for a month or two now. Doesn't have to be PPE, I think they're just cashing in on the cargo market while they can. The 77Ws had nothing better to do.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell BA/KL 744s

Dazza9877

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:02 pm

Onboard Pek-Lhr BA1089 inaugural flight G-YMMK

CX Flyboy

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:53 am

https://rogistics.net/airfreight/wellcamp-of-oz-adds-cathay-cargo-only-b777-flights/

Cathay launches a series of 777-300ER cargo-only flights to Toowoomba Wellcamp airport in Australia. (Our 747Fs have been going in there for a while already)

wjcandee

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:48 pm

So on this Western Global thing. What's disconcerting is how things break, are allegedly "fixed", and then the ship breaks again, quickly. I don't know if it's a fair comparison, but I recall all the reporting on the Allegiant shop in Florida while that one was being mismanaged. The Palm Beach Post did a lot of reporting on this. A mechanic from USAir, retired, went in there to do some part-time work, and went to the paper he was so distressed by what he found. His major concern was that people weren't qualified or competent or knowledgeable enough to identify and test for the likeliest causes of a problem, and the place was mismanaged such that pushing the plane out was the goal, not fixing it. He said this would cause lots of returns, probably not accidents, but returns, because what the aircraft were coming in with, they were leaving with, which might not manifest again for a couple of flights. And indeed that was the history of aircraft coming out of that shop, which often then would end up at the shop in Vegas, where it then would be fixed properly. The stats of the place looked good to management, but it was rotten at the core. When management realized that the shop really was a goatrope, they cleaned house and fixed it, fired a few people including executives.

I have to wonder if that isn't what's up with SHV. Here we have 543JN leave SHV today, "fixed" after being there for several days, but -- uh-oh -- on the way from SHV to ANC it has to divert to SEA. The other day, 415JN left SHV to fly to ANC; it made it to ANC but then sat there for over 30 hours, presumably while somebody properly fixed what it left SHV broken with.

Then there's 411SN. It flies from mothballs at RSW to SHV on 4/2 to be readied for service. Seven weeks later, on 5/23, it emerges, does a test flight, and then flies to ANC, then ICN and China. It returns, flying to LAX, then returns to China, LAX-ICN-PVG. ONE round-trip. Then, flying from PVG to ANC, it has to divert to ICN. It eventually makes it back to SDF with some cargo. It leaves SDF to fly back to Asia via ANC, makes it to ANC, but on the next leg, flying back to ICN, it has to air-return to ANC. It runs a test flight like 18 hours later ANC-ANC, and has been sitting there ever since (6-6-20).

One has to ask onesself, if the aircraft keep breaking right after they leave the shop, what does that say about the shop? At what point does the shop run out of excuses? At what point do you change leadership? Ultimately, the mediocre reliability of WGN's fleet is costing it a fortune at a time when they should be making amazing money. The inability of SHV to get the extra aircraft, that they pulled from the Desert, into the air is costing WGN money, and pilots opportunity to fly.

And what about maintenance practices? I was looking at the SDRs and saw one set of entries where the aircraft had one hyd system showing decreasing volume and an apparent leak. Maint decided on the fly to replace the sensor, apparently without thoroughly-checking out the system itself. On the very next flight, there was a rapid and massive loss of hyd fluid, causing a fuel dump and return, whereupon the system was only-then thoroughly-inspected, and a significant (and apparently-pretty-obvious) leak found and repaired. It is well-known that if your pilots and maint develop an "It's probably just a faulty sensor" culture, that causes a reduction in safety. Maybe it is probably just a faulty sensor, but how many incidents are caused by the pilot wrongly deciding that it's just a faulty sensor and proceeding anyway. There was a gear-up landing of a transport category aircraft not long ago that was exactly caused by the captain deciding to proceed because he figured it was just a faulty sensor. Another hole in the swiss cheese.

FDX's MD11s fly reliably. UPS's MD11s fly reliably. Few of WGN's do. WIth the major MROs desperate for business now, you would think they would be reaching out and sending their aircraft somewhere more-effective.

sunking737

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:50 pm

Its called pencil pushing. Sign off the A/C to get it out of the shop. Management forces it so they look good. BUT the FAA should be standing on the managers shoulders watching every move. It was explained to me once that as a mechanic when you sign the log book, your going out on the limb by signing your name. You should watch yourself because the FAA was right behind you with a saw to cut that limb off behind you.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

FlyingHonu001

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:19 pm

For some strange reason, AMS has updated its flight tracking API. They have apparently stopped publishing all the pandamic-related interim cargo flights by KL for example. Back to Mark 1 eyeball i guess...

wjcandee

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:51 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Its called pencil pushing. Sign off the A/C to get it out of the shop. Management forces it so they look good. BUT the FAA should be standing on the managers shoulders watching every move. It was explained to me once that as a mechanic when you sign the log book, your going out on the limb by signing your name. You should watch yourself because the FAA was right behind you with a saw to cut that limb off behind you.

"Should be" are the key words, I guess. Helps to have your shop in a little-out-of-the-way spot.

ANDY3

BA LHR -MIA

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:29 pm

Every day BA209 arrives to MIA but is never listed on MIA flight arrivals. On the BA website this flight is always listed as canceled. The aircraft parks at the passenger E24 gate so dont think its a cargo flight. The BA Source website never lists the flight as cargo or repatriation. BA website does not show this flight as purchasable. I have been curios about this flight for a couple of weeks.

Does anybody know what these flights are????.

I have also seen Virgin Atlantic on the same route lately, also unlisted.

dcajet

Re: BA LHR -MIA

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:08 am

ANDY3 wrote:
Every day BA209 arrives to MIA but is never listed on MIA flight arrivals. On the BA website this flight is always listed as canceled. The aircraft parks at the passenger E24 gate so dont think its a cargo flight. The BA Source website never lists the flight as cargo or repatriation. BA website does not show this flight as purchasable. I have been curios about this flight for a couple of weeks.

Does anybody know what these flights are????.

I have also seen Virgin Atlantic on the same route lately, also unlisted.

Cargo flights. BA's been running them to many points of their Americas (North & South) network using the usual BA2XX/X flight numbers.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

ANDY3

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:15 am

But BA209 is the normal passenger flight number thats been in use for many years???.

Vasu

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:24 am

ANDY3 wrote:
But BA209 is the normal passenger flight number thats been in use for many years???.

Probably makes sense to use it for the temporary cargo flight then.

dcajet

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:26 am

ANDY3 wrote:

Yeap. They have kept the same flight numbers and similar schedules. If there is an additional flight above & beyond, they use the BA3XXX/3XXX designation.

Both Buenos Aires EZE and Sao Paulo GRU have been receiving cargo flights using the BA244/45 & BA 246/7 numbers. DFW too. All with 788 & 789 equipment.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

skipness1E

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:28 am

It’s BA209F, a cargo flight. Heathrow has a load of cargo flights using their old passenger callsigns, all Air China, EVA, Emirates, JAL, China Southern and China Eastern are all using this system. Additional flights have cargo callsigns, i.e. BA3000, QR8850 series but the core program is the passenger aircraft with the usual callsign flying cargo only. BA are only operating passenger service to JFK, and a few more long haul, check LHR arrivals for details.

FLALEFTY

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 am

There has been a beeline of container tugs running back & forth from the passenger terminals to "Cargo City" and the "Eastern & Western U's" at MIA recently. BA, AA and LATAM are all flying cargo-only flights on routes they normally would use for passengers.

On days with lots of cargo on LHR-MIA BA uses a B77W. On slower days they use a B789, or a B788. AA flies a B77W for cargo on the MIA-LHR route.

factsonly

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:50 pm

July 21st, 2020; Interesting flight by Philippine Airlines B77W to North Africa for cargo or repatriation:

- 21 Jun 2020: MNL 08.22 - ALG 15.55 PR8130 B77W RP-C7776 non-stop in 14:33hrs
- 21 Jun 2020: ALG 17.59 - TUN 19.00 PR8130 B77W RP-C7776

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/rp-c7776

trex8

Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 pm

Anyone know what are the manpower and time requirements to unload these pax planes carrying main deck cargo?

qf789

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:45 am

Wamos has converted an A332 (EC-MTT) from passenger to cargo ops

https://twitter.com/AeronewsGlobal/stat ... 81218?s=20
Forum Moderator

reply1984

Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:56 am

Cathay Pacific is to refit B77Ws for cargo purposes.
https://twitter.com/JournoDannyAero/sta ... 4234552320

trex8

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:26 am

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... ss-cabins/

132m3 so about 10 PMC pallet equivalents (77W can carry 14 underfloor)

wjcandee

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:19 am

The AA 763s all have already been retired. And it is correct that all are committed to ATSG, which just flew another one to ILN from ROW yesterday, ahead of sending it to TLV. They're on a pace of about one per month.

As far as I know, the DL ones are in storage. One just came out of storage at ILN yesterday and flew to JFK.

wjcandee

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:39 am

So, following up on the smaller-carrier Asia cargo flights.

Sky Lease: Still the clear leader for utilization. If one of their two 747-400Fs is on the ground for more than 2 or 3 hours, it's very unusual. Then off to the next destination. Incredible utilization by a carrier that had a reputation as a 36th Street rust-hub. I have profound respect for what they have been able to do.

National: Still blowing and going, just not quite at the pace that SkyLease is, but still keeping the planes pretty-continuously in the air.. Proud hardworking folks, getting it done.

Western Global: I thought things were looking up a bit utilization-wise this week, but now...uh-boy. I suppose it's possible that their contracts are expiring and they're just parking planes, but assuming that there still is work for them, it isn't pretty.

744s: 344KD at SHV; 356KD flying. Presumably 344 is just getting a quick check and will be out in a few days. 497MC is still at SHV two months since it was pulled from the desert April 22. (SHV is their in-house MRO.)

MD11s: Hold on to your hats. To review, there is an active fleet of 11, plus one they pulled from the desert a couple months ago but haven't made flyable at SHV (N435KD), and another that has been at SHV for like 2 years, so it's not going anywhere (N804SN). So let's call it 11 "active" MD11s.

x411SN is sitting at ANC, where it made a fuel stop Thursday on the way to Asia and never left. It has been in the shop repeatedly, and I thought they finally had fixed it. Let's hope it gets moving.
x412SN just went to SHV today.
415JN is flying. Asia.
513SN seems to be flying. ORD-FRA and such. It's sitting at ORD now, but it does that. Not as high utilization as others.
x546JN has been at SHV since 5/23. Presumably heavy maintenance.
x581JN is at RSW, hopefully for a light maintenance visit. Arrived today.
x799JN is at RSW, hopefully for a light maintenance visit. Arrived today.
543JN is flying. Asia.
x545JN has been at SDF since 6/13 (two weeks). Presumably broken.
?542KD has been at SDF for about 36 hours, but I'm not ready to call it broken yet.
x512JN has been at RSW for about 8 days. I thought it was just going for light maintenance, but this is longer than usual for that.

So out of 11 "active" MD11s, 3 are definitely still flying, and maybe a fourth one is. Several are plainly broken or in heavy maintenance, and a few are either in light maintenance or parked.

SQ22

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:25 pm

When I arrived in FRA today (June 27th, 2020) around 6:45 PM there was PY's 77E parked in the area between the LH widebodies in temporary storage and the cargo area.

Were operating a cargo flight or was it a diversion?

LJ

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:50 pm

SQ22 wrote:
When I arrived in FRA today (June 27th, 2020) around 6:45 PM there was PY's 77E parked in the area between the LH widebodies in temporary storage and the cargo area.

Were operating a cargo flight or was it a diversion?

No, it has been sittiing at FRA since June 17th. They usually use an Air Belgium A340 or somethig elise leased for their flights between Amsterdam and Paramaribo. Nobody actually knows why it's in FRA, but Surinam doesn't have ETOPS approval (yet).

SQ22

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:25 am

LJ wrote:
No, it has been sittiing at FRA since June 17th. They usually use an Air Belgium A340 or somethig elise leased for their flights between Amsterdam and Paramaribo. Nobody actually knows why it's in FRA, but Surinam doesn't have ETOPS approval (yet).

Thanks for the update.

GSOtoIND

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:29 am

To make matters worse for WGN, 415JN made a hasty descent to 10,000 feet just south of Terre Haute today while approaching SDF from ANC. It seems the entire MD11 fleet is destined to be parked at SDF awaiting maintenance.
wjcandee wrote:

MD11s: Hold on to your hats. To review, there is an active fleet of 11, plus one they pulled from the desert a couple months ago but haven't made flyable at SHV (N435KD), and another that has been at SHV for like 2 years, so it's not going anywhere (N804SN). So let's call it 11 "active" MD11s.

x411SN is sitting at ANC, where it made a fuel stop Thursday on the way to Asia and never left. It has been in the shop repeatedly, and I thought they finally had fixed it. Let's hope it gets moving.
x412SN just went to SHV today.
415JN is flying. Asia.
513SN seems to be flying. ORD-FRA and such. It's sitting at ORD now, but it does that. Not as high utilization as others.
x546JN has been at SHV since 5/23. Presumably heavy maintenance.
x581JN is at RSW, hopefully for a light maintenance visit. Arrived today.
x799JN is at RSW, hopefully for a light maintenance visit. Arrived today.
543JN is flying. Asia.
x545JN has been at SDF since 6/13 (two weeks). Presumably broken.
?542KD has been at SDF for about 36 hours, but I'm not ready to call it broken yet.
x512JN has been at RSW for about 8 days. I thought it was just going for light maintenance, but this is longer than usual for that.

So out of 11 "active" MD11s, 3 are definitely still flying, and maybe a fourth one is. Several are plainly broken or in heavy maintenance, and a few are either in light maintenance or parked.
IND. 2018: BOS/AUA/MIA/DEN Next: LAS/SLC/DEN

wjcandee

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:55 am

GSOtoIND wrote:
To make matters worse for WGN, 415JN made a hasty descent to 10,000 feet just south of Terre Haute today while approaching SDF from ANC. It seems the entire MD11 fleet is destined to be parked at SDF awaiting maintenance.

See, that's the thing for me, although I guess their pilots are accustomed to stuff breaking. Those kind of regular deviations would be concerning to me, and I'm quite surprised they're not drawing anybody's attention.

It's one thing to have difficulty finding green-time engines at a price you want to pay, which is an issue generally these days but probably-significant when you're wondering how long this boom is going to last. UPS cut its Asia surcharge last week, which means that capacity is catching up to the market. OTOH, consumers in the US actually are sitting on a higher than usual amount of cash, and if we could make Covid go away tomorrow, there would be a demand spike for stuff generally. But we can't, so we're two-steps-forward-and-maybe-one-back, which make it basically-impossible to predict international air freight demand a month from now. (And, of course, if international passenger travel opens up faster, then so does belly space and dedicated freighters won't be as necessary.) So very hard to predict, and if you're Western Global, do you choose to let a plane sit rather than work if you think that in 6 months, there will be a spurt of green time engines at better prices, or, alternatively, do you pay for a minor overhaul that's good for a couple of years, or pick up some PBTH spares, because you want to bring in as much cash as possible now? If the Air Bridge flights and other extra Asia flights end up shutting down, what will the demand for their MD11s be? I know that they're proud of owning everything, including spares and parts and offices and everything straight out, with nothing leased or borrowed, but that actually gives you fewer options when looking at issues like, "How do I address the immediate need for a spare engine during a time of significant demand for my equipment?" If you're not going to lease, your options become much-more-limited. It doesn't make much sense to invest in a multimillion-dollar overhaul that will give you an engine with 20 more years of life in it, when it's unlikely that the airframe it's riding on (or any airframe that would use it, for that matter) will still be flying in 20 years. And that's not going to get *this* aircraft back in the air, in any event.

This is the kind of issue that caused the remaining 747-200s (and the MD90s, for that matter) to be parked.

So I kind of get it vis-a-vis engine expense, but continually having the kinds of problems that cause air returns or emergency descents, etc., reflect on the success of their in-house maintenance operation. I can't say stuff isn't being properly-diagnosed and repaired, because I don't know, but when you see the same frame having repeated issues, you wonder whether these are the same issues, and, if they are, what that says about the operation. Again, a bunch of air returns don't mean that there's a safety emergency, far from it. But in the most Global possible way, it's not good.

National and Sky Lease, for goodness' sake, are flying the living crap out of their aircraft, and they are operating reliably. Sky Lease, which is always short of cash, is clearly investing the money in heavy crews to minimize ground time, and maintenance to keep the revenue-producing asset in the air, generating revenue. I'm sure their expenses are through the roof, but so is their revenue. At the other end of the spectrum, WGN is having continuing reliability issues, and maybe it's a business decision to tolerate them in the name of lower costs, but you have to wonder whether that's really the plan or if they just don't have it together there at SHV. Or both.
Last edited by wjcandee on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

wjcandee

Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:06 am

On a happier note, 411SN is moving again, and 512JN finished up its check at RSW. But 542KD has now been at SDF long enough that there's obviously some issue, keeping 545JN company at SDF while that aircraft is plainly waiting for something significant. And now maybe 415JN will be down for a while, or maybe they'll fix what sounds like a pressurization issue and put it back in the air until next time. So in just a day, we take two off my broken/maintenance-check list, and add two more.

I didn't see that operating plan when reading their web site.

wjcandee

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:44 am

After 15 days at SDF, N545JN is on its way to ANC. Guess WGN found whatever they needed for it. Maybe this bodes well for more than half of the fleet actually flying this coming week?

wjcandee

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 am

GSOtoIND wrote:
It seems the entire MD11 fleet is destined to be parked at SDF awaiting maintenance.

I thought that was clever and a little snarky. But then there's today:

344KD flying military
356KD ORD since Saturday
411SN SHV (back again) today
412SN SHV since Friday
415JN SDF since Saturday
512JN ICN over 24 hours
513SN flying (ORD-AMS-ORD)
542KD flying military later tonight (but at SDF since Thursday)
543JN ANC over 24 hours (was on the way to Asia from YMX)
545JN flying Asia
546JN SHV since May 23rd
581JN RSW since Friday
799JN RSW since Friday

So 4 out of 13 flying. 3 out of 11 MD11s flying.

Like I said, maybe contracts are expiring. But if not, wow.

wjcandee

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 am

Interestingly, the ATI aircraft N395CM, which has been doing a run for DHL HKG-GUM-SYD-HKG, did a turnaround over the Arafura Sea last night while flying SYD-HKG, and landed at Darwin, Australia. (The Arafura Sea is the body of water between the area just north of Darwin, and Indonesia.) Initially looked like a mechanical, but now I wonder. It took off from Darwin tonight, but instead of flying Northeast across Indonesia, as it had on its previous trips (and as it was flight-planned to do last night), it flew Due East in Australian airspace from Darwin until south of an area well-inside Papua New Guinea and then flew Due North across Papua New Guinea until it was North of the northernmost parts of Indonesia, then turned Northwest basically directly towards Hong Kong on a path that would take it across the Phillipines. Not a crazily-circuitous route, but one that clearly wasn't the result just of weather or something. The flight is avoiding Indonesia -- avoiding getting even near Indonesia -- for some reason. After crossing it for weeks. Interesting. Maybe it is weather and I'm just not seeing it on the map, but the route seems too-clearly designed around national boundaries.

Here's the current flight: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ATN2104

Astronage

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:35 am

wjcandee wrote:
Interestingly, the ATI aircraft N395CM, which has been doing a run for DHL HKG-GUM-SYD-HKG, did a turnaround over the Arafura Sea last night while flying SYD-HKG, and landed at Darwin, Australia. (The Arafura Sea is the body of water between the area just north of Darwin, and Indonesia.) Initially looked like a mechanical, but now I wonder. It took off from Darwin tonight, but instead of flying Northeast across Indonesia, as it had on its previous trips (and as it was flight-planned to do last night), it flew Due East in Australian airspace from Darwin until south of an area well-inside Papua New Guinea and then flew Due North across Papua New Guinea until it was North of the northernmost parts of Indonesia, then turned Northwest basically directly towards Hong Kong on a path that would take it across the Phillipines. Not a crazily-circuitous route, but one that clearly wasn't the result just of weather or something. The flight is avoiding Indonesia -- avoiding getting even near Indonesia -- for some reason. After crossing it for weeks. Interesting. Maybe it is weather and I'm just not seeing it on the map, but the route seems too-clearly designed around national boundaries.

Here's the current flight: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ATN2104

Overdue overflying fees?

wjcandee

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:49 am

Astronage wrote:
Overdue overflying fees?

You'd think that would have been addressed during flight planning...but I was thinking along those lines as well...

wjcandee

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:11 am

And so 542KD never left SDF tonight, so we're down to 2 out of 11 MD11s currently in flying condition at WGN, it appears.

concordeforever

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:48 am

Video of a BA Cargo PPE run to/from Beijing this week....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qCEAoFQ3Cg

wjcandee

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:57 pm

Just keeping up with Western Global's apparently-diminishing ability to participate in the Asian cargo scene and Air Bridge flights due to apparent equipment issues and the capabilities of its in-house SHV MRO facility...

I notice that N415JN, which has been on the ground at SDF since 6/27/20 (i.e. 4 days), is being ferried to OSC. Kalitta used to do heavy maintenance for WGN before they opened their own shop in SHV; maybe this is a recognition that their organic maintenance operation isn't keeping up with the needs of a high-tempo operation and they need some experienced help. To make that decision doubtless required some humility and resulted in some bruised egos, but if that's the direction they're now taking, BRAVO for looking the mirror and realizing that safety and the operation come first.

Today's Scorecard:

344KD Flying Asia (at ICN)
356KD ORD for 3 days
411SN Flying Military
412SN SHV for 5 days
415JN SDF for 4 days, about to ferry to OSC
512JN Flying Asia (was at RSW 6/18-27)
513SN Flying ORD-AMS-ORD (lower tempo)
542KD SDF for 6 days
543JN ANC for 3 days (on the way to Asia from YMX)
545JN Flying Asia (was at SDF 6/13-28 -- 15 days)
546JN SHV for heavy work since 5/23
581JN Flying (was at RSW 6/26-30 for successful quick check)
799JN Flying MIA-BRU (was at RSW 6/26-7/1 for successful quick check)

So 6 out of 11 MD11s flying today.
So 1 out of 2 747s flying today.

744F N497MC came to SHV from MZJ on 4/22, presumably to be activated. Still at SHV.
MD11 N435KD came to SHV from MHV on 5/3, presumably to be activated. Still at SHV.

ojjunior

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:33 am

After a long hiatus, Air Canada is back to South America.

The flight number is the regular one they use to GRU service.

Does anyone know if this is a one-off or cargo only flight?

AC90 from Toronto to Sao Paulo https://fr24.com/ACA090/24d46b4a

factsonly

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:11 am

Airbus Industrie using an A339 test airframe to help out:

- July 2nd, 2020: TLS-AMS AIB101 A339 F-WTTN
- July 3rd, 2020: AMS-PTY AIB102 A339 F-WTTN

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-wttn

ltbewr

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:18 pm

There seems to be growing issues as to safety from infections from Covid-19, compensation issues for Amazon's air freight contractor WFS. It includes ground staff not wearing masks, that workers feel the should get raises, hazard/essential worker bonus pay, extended time off if ill or in quarantine:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... id=U507DHP

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos